PDA

View Full Version : Am I paranoid

Ramius
13th November 2004, 09:07
Howdy

Just wondering, am I paranoid? I got my L licence in September and have been riding around since then, but by myself. I see all these bike rides and shows going on, but I am paranoid that if I go to them people are just going to be bastards because I am such a newbie and may not be 'up with the play' on bike ettiquette.
I mean, I would love to go out and meet more bikers, but it is that reason for which is stopping me.

Am I paranoid?

:ar15:

dhunt
13th November 2004, 09:13
Howdy
Am I paranoid?
In a word yes!

We were all learners at one stage and some would argue that we still are to some degree :argh: I would suggest you try and get out with some bikers as that will improve your riding as you can see how others do it etc... Also other people can see what you're doing and give you tips on how to improve.

Storm
13th November 2004, 09:25
Firstly, welcome to the family of bike nutters that is KiwiBiker

Take a deep breath and remember that you have satisfied Rule # 1 of bikerness- you have a bike. Apart from that, alll you need to do is be polite and act normally. We all started off just the same as you. The days of being beaten up to join the gang are long gone !!
Theres always people looking for riding buddies, so dont be shy to make your interest known. You might, and most probably will, meet some great matess
Happy roads to you

Riff Raff
13th November 2004, 09:40
Firstly, welcome to the family of bike nutters that is KiwiBiker

Take a deep breath and remember that you have satisfied Rule # 1 of bikerness- you have a bike. Apart from that, alll you need to do is be polite and act normally. We all started off just the same as you. The days of being beaten up to join the gang are long gone !!
Theres always people looking for riding buddies, so dont be shy to make your interest known. You might, and most probably will, meet some great matess
Happy roads to you

Exactly what Storm said. I'm a bit like you - fear of the unknown. But most bikies are good bastards, and you already know you have something in common so it won't be hard starting up a conversation. Get out there and really start to enjoy yourself.

SPman
13th November 2004, 09:42
Yep - paranoia is you.

Dont worry about it mate - nobody starts off as an ace rider - even WT!
You learn by riding, riding with others and picking up their bad habits, meeting other riders and talking about stuff. As long as you are on 2 wheels and are doin it, you got nothing to be worried about. - and anyone who might slag you off for being a newbie isnt worthy of the balls you'll kick him in!

Sniper
13th November 2004, 09:56
Yep, just relax around other bikers. I havent had others to ride with but all I do is just join a group I see. Otherwise there arnt many people to ride with in the top of the south.

NC
13th November 2004, 10:05
You'll be sweet as...

I still don't know jack about bikes still and I have been riding them for 6 years..

I'm not worried about it one bit:)

Come out on the rides, you'll be sweet as :2thumbsup

wari
13th November 2004, 10:12
HEy ... :spudwave:

AArm yurself with onof these ... :moon: ... and you'll be fine .... :yeah:

ENjoy yurrself mate ... :doobey:

Joni
13th November 2004, 10:46
HEy ... :spudwave:

AArm yurself with onof these ... :moon: ... and you'll be fine .... :yeah:

ENjoy yurrself mate ... :doobey:

Wari: :spudbooge :spudguita

I have never met a biker that was not prepared to spend some time with a newby and just talk or answer the questions they might have.... we are all generally pretty relaxed people, you just moving out of a comfort zone and its natural to feel nervous.... have fun.... and be safe. :2thumbsup

PS - Welcome to the madhouse called Kiwibiker.

Paul in NZ
13th November 2004, 10:59
Why not make a start by coming along to the KB BBQ on the 27th out here at our place? (seperate thread under meetings etc)

PM me and I'll bung you the directions.

The bike riding lot is the same as everyone else, nice people and tossers in much the same proportion. Don't let the bad uns worry you!

Paul N

Jackrat
13th November 2004, 11:02
Ramius buy me a beer, I'll be your friend. :hug:
Nah mate,just turn up an be yourself.
You'll be right.
Welcome aboard.

inlinefour
13th November 2004, 11:44
Howdy

Just wondering, am I paranoid? I got my L licence in September and have been riding around since then, but by myself. I see all these bike rides and shows going on, but I am paranoid that if I go to them people are just going to be bastards because I am such a newbie and may not be 'up with the play' on bike ettiquette.
I mean, I would love to go out and meet more bikers, but it is that reason for which is stopping me.

Am I paranoid?

I'll talk to anyone as long as they treat other like how they'd like to be treated and all that shite. Hell I let my best friend slip stream me on his scooter at times... :scooter: :Playnice:

Blakamin
13th November 2004, 11:47
Howdy

Am I paranoid?

Hiya and welcome!
Tell ya what... have a relax and come up to the bike show in pram next weekend and say 'ello... you'll spot me... red Duc with KB sticker, KB shirt and a smoke in me mouth...

ps..fuck what others think!

Marknz
13th November 2004, 11:58
but the people chasing me are!

:)

Ramius
13th November 2004, 13:18
There is a bike show in Param?
When and where, or I am guessing I should look under the meetings page?

Ms Piggy
13th November 2004, 15:25
Howdy

Am I paranoid?

Yes you are ;)

I'm a newbie rider too and out of all the riders of bikers I have met I have only met 1 wanker and I didn't meet him through riding so he doesn't count.

Anyway you've come to the right place: Kiwi Biker. I've made all my riding friends through this site and they are good people, some of the nicest people I know in fact!

Welcome :spudwave:

ching_ching
13th November 2004, 17:48
The days of being beaten up to join the gang are long gone !!

Shit, I wish someone had told me!! Kreist!!
:o

Blakamin
13th November 2004, 17:53
There is a bike show in Param?
When and where, or I am guessing I should look under the meetings page?
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=112856#post112856
Southward Car Museum

White trash
13th November 2004, 17:59
We were all learners at one stage and some would argue that we still are to some degree

Not me. I've been perfect all my life.

- nobody starts off as an ace rider - even WT!

Oh. Aprrently I'm not. Thanks for bringing me crashing back to reality mate. ;)

White trash
13th November 2004, 18:00
out of all the riders of bikers I have met I have only met 1 wanker and I didn't meet him through riding so he doesn't count.

That's right. Didn't we meet in the mens loos at the "Bristol"? :spudbooge

inlinefour
13th November 2004, 18:49
AS it kept giving me the speed wobbles LMAO. :tugger:

Antallica
13th November 2004, 21:09
I felt that feeling when I was on the last KB ride that followed after the BBQ. But I'm not very sociable anhoo.

It'll pass I'm sure.

justsomeguy
13th November 2004, 21:50
I doubt if a lot of us are too sociable, I guess most bikers are loners. Well I am atleast. We like to ride and usually by ourselves thats why we ride bikes not drive MPV's.

All those of you who have had the dream where you were the only vehicle for miles, busy ripping down the highway and a few twisties say "Aye". In my dream I am able to see myself riding from the sky as well as from the seat of the bike as in real life.

Well I still got to get some practice riding - I'm a COMPLETE beginner. So Ramius we are in the same boat. But before christmas comes I hope to have met at least a few of you all. I've only met aff-man so far and he's a top bloke.

Hey Ant I want to see that Bandit someday, if you ain't feeling too sociable you can hide in the bushes as I drool over your machine :laugh:

See you :soon:

Antallica
13th November 2004, 22:31
I'll be at the Xmas bash mate. Hope to see you there.

jazbug5
14th November 2004, 07:15
I second what CSL says; KB is almost entirely w*nker free (well, there is Paul "Arsehole" In NZ, of course, but we don't talk about that.. :bleh:

Anyhoo, I've a lot to thank people on here for, and I don't think I'd have had nearly such a good time so far without meeting them. No-one's made me feel like an idiot (I can do that for myself, thanks..) since signing up here/going for rides: and my riding's definately benefitted.

So come along: I doubt you'll be any slower than me, mate...!

Ramius
14th November 2004, 12:48
Hey, thanks everyone, I actually feel much more at ease now. And I will definately be up for any rides that may be happening anytime soon!

:headbang:

Paul in NZ
14th November 2004, 13:10
I second what CSL says; KB is almost entirely w*nker free (well, there is Paul "Arsehole" In NZ, of course, but we don't talk about that.. :bleh: !

Yes! Please lets not talk about my arsehole (it's a big subject). We should also avoid the other subject too.. me being a wanker, I know it does not come up often but please, for the sake of the children, lets avoid it!

Come along to the BBQ and you will be amazed at the sociable loners...

Paul N

backfire
14th November 2004, 13:45
Just go for it and be yourself... :rockon: :banana:

FROSTY
14th November 2004, 13:54
Dude anybody that wants to can ride with me. You younger guys are the lifeblood of biking in godzone so us old farts will always be there to encourage you and offer advise

Paul in NZ
14th November 2004, 14:01
Dude anybody that wants to can ride with me. You younger guys are the lifeblood of biking in godzone so us old farts will always be there to encourage you and offer advise

Shit yes... I mean without these young guys who is going to pick us up when we fall down and attract all the 'hot chicks'?

Paul N

thehollowmen
14th November 2004, 14:06
Welcome to the madhouse

Yes you're a little paranoid, we all were at some stage.
If you've got a friend or a family member who bikes, get them to bring you up to play... maybe have them attend a small ride or something with you.

Its just the usual, don't touch stuff that isn't yours, taking a step back from the bike when you look at the whole thing so drool doesn't land on it... the usual polite stuff.

Welcome, and I hope to see you around... maybe when I get enough time to come up for a ride :-)

Hitcher
14th November 2004, 14:14
I, for one, wouldn't be paranoid if my phone wasn't being tapped, spyware wasn't monitoring everything I typed on my computer, that black four-door sedan didn't follow me everywhere I go, and every shop assistant I met didn't already know my name...

justsomeguy
14th November 2004, 14:42
Shit yes... I mean without these young guys who is going to pick us up when we fall down and attract all the 'hot chicks'?

Paul N
:killingme you guys are alright :killingme

Ms Piggy
14th November 2004, 14:43
That's right. Didn't we meet in the mens loos at the "Bristol"? :spudbooge
:laugh: No I was trying to push you outta the way so I could get into the ladies!

NC
14th November 2004, 14:53
:laugh: No I was trying to push you outta the way so I could get into the ladies!

Did he happen to say to you on the way past...
"The mens loos don't have a urinal?"

FzerozeroT
14th November 2004, 14:54
why is being thought of as a newbie a bad thing? you get the "older wiser teacher" types who are extra nice to you giving advice and free beers.

Ms Piggy
14th November 2004, 15:19
Did he happen to say to you on the way past...
"The mens loos don't have a urinal?"
I believe it was something like that. :whistle:

Blakamin
14th November 2004, 15:20
I, for one, wouldn't be paranoid if my phone wasn't being tapped, spyware wasn't monitoring everything I typed on my computer, that black four-door sedan didn't follow me everywhere I go, and every shop assistant I met didn't already know my name...
I STILL cant outrun that sedan... oh...hang on.... its just a spot on my contacts...

NC
14th November 2004, 15:26
I believe it was something like that. :whistle:

:laugh:

:killingme

Ramius
14th November 2004, 17:06
As for family, my uncle used to be an avid motorcycle fiend many years ago until one fateful night where he was 4 times over the limit and took his bike for a blat. Came worse end of the stick and almost died. Never been the same again.

As for free beer, sounds great, only one problem, I don't drink. :whocares:

riffer
14th November 2004, 19:33
Hey Ramius - is that your bike I see parked outside AT&T House on Murphy Street most days is it?

Paul in NZ
14th November 2004, 19:43
As for free beer, sounds great, only one problem, I don't drink. :whocares:

Oh thats no problem lad! I do!

Paul N

MadDuck
14th November 2004, 19:46
Hey Ram

One of the scariest things I ever done was turning up for my first KB ride. I have a bike and I love bikes but hell I knew no way in hell I be able to keep up. And you guessed it ...lost at second turn off (better than some mind you - Duckman you still hiding out there <_< ).

Most where brave enuff to come and say hi as I stood out a lil more than the others as the only gal there....but damn what a great day and I meet some fantastic people. Though I dont go on many rides now I think I have made some cool biker friends. Those that turned up to our Red Ribbon ride and said hiya MD made my day :yes:

They wait for me - damn near finished their lunch before I potter up but no one is ever critical and always push the idea of ride your limit. And have I learnt anything about bikes? HELL YES and some! Get out there and meet the crew

IMHO MD

Ramius
14th November 2004, 20:13
Howdy.

Nah, my bike stays in the garage during the day and comes out at night and on the weekend. Have no idea where Murphy street is. However, I will be out more than my bike is parked up because I still have 600km to knock off in 10 days.