PDA

View Full Version : Warning

Big Dog
10th August 2003, 01:23
Ever had one of those days?

Talk the mrs into going for a night ride down to Pukekohe instead of taking the car. All good right?:D

Wrong:angry2:

Exactly in the middle of nowhere 2 kms from the motor way (Drury), 4 kms from the next servo at Paerata, the flashing valve cap I bought to make the mrs feel better about me driving at night sucks the valve out of the rim:angry2: :brick:.
I had previously been warned by superbike magazine that these do this at high speed eg 100mph as quoted by them.
Nope only need to do 100kmph for a prolonged period.
Which brings me to my :puke: I paid $40 for a "safety device" that could have killed us had i not been doing 60kmph at the time it chose to spit the dummy :angry2:

Would certainly never recommend these to anyone I like!
I would like to warn against these sabatours though.
Does any one else have any tales of "saftey equipment goes bad?"

Perhaps we should start a list of products to black list if they are in fact dangerous?:angry2:
:argh:
:done:

Motu
10th August 2003, 10:48
Yeah - mobile phones!!!

I bought my mobile phone for emergency use only - so I could ring for help if things went wrong at the wrong time.

But I've found they are handy things and am using it more often.What has got me very annoyed is that whenever I ring my broker to check how my stock is doing - some bloody motorcycle pulls out and runs into me! I'm getting pissed off with this - my no claims bonus is out the window...and I really hate driving the panelbeaters loaners - they are out of date and so icky,like,everyone KNOWS my car is being fixed y'know,it's just SO embarrassing!

BAN THE BUGGERS!!!!

Duke of Rogan
10th August 2003, 12:41
flashing valve cap?

never seen one of these, but they sound more like a gimic than a saftey device, reminds me of those "spokey-dokies" you could get for your BMX when I was a kid...:D

Nouseforaname
10th August 2003, 16:46
haha spokey dokey's..... ive got them on my BMX bike right now, the are all bright and stuff and they kickass..... the only downside is the fact that i have to actually ride the BMX, instead of my road bike. Cant wait for Dec 23rd :-)

wkid_one
10th August 2003, 20:46
I see a chopper flag in Nouse's future

NZred
10th August 2003, 21:45
(Big Dog)

If they are sold as a safty device !! 

Then Road Transport , OSH and  the cunsumer law people will be interested in there produce.

Comes under the heading of,...  safty,.. and " fit for intended the purpose" kinda stuff.

Coldkiwi
11th August 2003, 12:11
thanks for the warning... I was thinking about getting some of those but I'll cross them off my list for sure.

Big Dog
11th August 2003, 23:50
Originally posted by NZred
(Big Dog)

If they are sold as a safty device !! 

Then Road Transport , OSH and  the cunsumer law people will be interested in there produce.

Comes under the heading of,...  safty,.. and " fit for intended the purpose" kinda stuff.
I will give them an earful when I go in to make my next payment.:done:

duckman
19th August 2003, 16:16
O.k. I give in - What the hell is it ????:argh:

bikerboy
19th August 2003, 17:21
Its the must have accessory of 2003, the flashing valve cap.:o :confused: :( :whocares:

:banana: It worked ! Thanks Aff-man :niceone: :banana:

Big Dog
19th August 2003, 22:18
Just a wee update. Went back to supplier of said caps, they were somewhat apologetic and asure me they were removed from sale a couple of weeks ago due to a similar problems.

I'm happy with that, I had had them over a year after all.

bikerboy
20th August 2003, 09:45
The least they could have done was refund your money. They admitted the product was defective and it could have caused a serious accident.
:argh:

Big Dog
20th August 2003, 12:33
Aye, however I was more interested in making sure they were withdrawn from sale.

As they were sold in good faith I say "caveat emptor":o (buyer beware). these were not identified as a potential hazard until I had been happy with prfomance for 8 months ergo it was up to me to remove them. My main concern is that no-one else waste their money!

I did however feel more confident that I was visible from the side for over a year, as they were very effective.

Would you give a refund or expect one after a year?

ps they did give a discount on my next purchase (fog city visor) and some free ear plugs! As I said their response was as much if not more than I expected given the time frame. Good on Red Baron from my view point. They listened to my greivance and dealt with it to my satisfaction, this is more important to me than a refund.:done:

Dave
20th August 2003, 12:49
The consumer guarantees act state that anything sold must be fit for the purpose for which it is sold. i.e. holding air in the tyre-which it did not.I'm not sure what the time frame on that would be but as the original valve would last for the life of the tyre, it is reasonable to expect the replacement to also.

Coldkiwi
20th August 2003, 13:40
i saw a civic with an orange valve cap last w/e and it did look really good (kinda like the brakes were on fire actually!). Shame they're not all they say they are

PZR
21st August 2003, 12:32
If you want to look cool try some of those blue or green LED's that you see the boy racers and trucks have on their vehicles. They look good and(in my opinion) not at all tacky) and they are cheap (round $20 - 25.00 for a pair) They make the bike really visible. You can see people do a double take to recheck what they see out the corner of their eye. Available from car accessory stores (though Repco do not have much.) Wootens in Auckland have a really good selection Well worth the investment:niceone:

Coldkiwi
21st August 2003, 12:55
Do they come in lime green???? :punk:

Big Dog
21st August 2003, 19:11
Originally posted by PZR
If you want to look cool try some of those blue or green LED's that you see the boy racers and trucks have on their vehicles. They look good and(in my opinion) not at all tacky) and they are cheap (round $20 - 25.00 for a pair) They make the bike really visible. You can see people do a double take to recheck what they see out the corner of their eye. Available from car accessory stores (though Repco do not have much.) Wootens in Auckland have a really good selection Well worth the investment:niceone:

Your missing the point you do the maths a 5gm cap accallerated at 100mph = 5-10kg of stress (depending on the size of your rim) over and above the stress of the 40 odd psi in the tyre. Sudden acceleration or breaking at this speed can equal According to superbike mag 40kg

could you hold back 40 kgs with just one finger? Same thing.

They are recognised as dangerous and have been removed from sale by responsible outlets, perhaps this is why they are only $20, I got mine at half price for $45.

Ps maths courtesy of superbike magazine, that I ignored due to the thinking that I don't do 160kmph.

Coldkiwi
22nd August 2003, 12:36
ok.. some dubious calc's there IMNHO perhaps (being a cynical engineer and all)

no, my finger can't hold 40 kg's, but then, its not supposed to. Products that are designed to do a job should do the damn job. Make the cap thicker or stronger. make it out of carbon and get it lighter... use titanium or alum. alloy... there's no freakin excuse for crap quality on a rotating mass.

out of interest... did you get your wheels rebalanced after you put them on? perhaps a driving comercial factor was make them cheap and light so they don't have to get the wheels rebalanced, but in doing so skimped too much on design strength. (not the first time thats been done!)

Redstar
22nd August 2003, 22:24
never heard of flashing valvas?

Hey try a green tinted visor makes all the red traffic lights look turned off!

PZR
26th August 2003, 22:44
Sorry but you misunderstood. The lights I'm talking about do not go on your tyre valves. They are small directional LED's that come in a variety of types but usually stick on where ever you want to put them. Mine are under the fairing and point ahead so people can see me coming. They are on pivots so are easily aimed. They are 12v and simple to wire into the headlight wiring. If looking for some be sure to get 12 volt as some are 6v and designed to work in parallel

Big Dog
26th August 2003, 22:53
Now that sounds like something I would waste money on!:niceone:

PZR
26th August 2003, 22:55
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
Do they come in lime green???? :punk:

Its not exactly lime green more of a "go for it" traffic light green but probably close enough to suit your Kawasaki:p
My 'saki is red and any green clashes terribly.

PZR
26th August 2003, 23:05
Originally posted by Big Dog

I also have a strange liking for fluro lights, again, you may have seen them on boy racers cars and hot rods like them as well tho they tend to be too large for bikes.
I was checking out Cycle Forums website and they have a main sponser for motorcycle accessories (sorry can't do that link thing and did not write the address down). They had some cool looking LED's, fluros and also headlight protectors that look like the colour of the bike but are transparent when the light is on and (allegedly) do not make the light dimmer at night :rockon: Worth a look for something different. Fathers day is coming up

SPman
26th August 2003, 23:35
Originally posted by PZR
(sorry can't do that link thing and did not write the address down). 

Open 2 or 3 windows. Highlight, copy & paste. Simple.

PZR
28th August 2003, 12:24
Originally posted by Big Dog

Check this out. Way coool!!:niceone:
http://www.tricktape.com/product.asp?0=210&1=265&3=490
(I think I have that LInk thing sussed hopefully)
I would have to spend lots of time riding at night just to enjoy these:done:

Big Dog
28th August 2003, 13:53
MMMMM.... And thats just the GSXR1000:gob: