PDA

View Full Version : Northland Roads are safer??!!

MikeL
10th August 2003, 20:35
Having ridden a lot through the Waikato/B.O.P./Coromandel and also Northland over the last few months, I offer this observation, ready to be shot down in flames by the more experienced/observant/cynical:
Whereas south of Auckland most main roads are likely to be crawling (lousy??) with cops, Northland, or at least parts of it, are relatively "clean". On recent trips to Whangarei, Tutukaka, Waipu, Dargaville and other places I've seen very few of the revenue gatherers. Today on a round trip to Dargaville starting at 9:30 I didn't see a single cop until I got back onto the Northwestern motorway at 4:00. Is this normal??

wkid_one
10th August 2003, 20:39
In my experience - the northland roads are some of the most policed roads in the North Island??  - just one persons view tho!

Antallica
10th August 2003, 22:50
I rarely see a cop in town... the only times I do is when they are going about 120k past my place going towards SH1 along with the fire & ambulances. The Cops are lousy here.

But as for the roads being safer...... not bloody likely :p
Good thing though, they don't even bother with us bikies here in Whg :D

Seriously, you go through the new roundabout in Whangarei, you can get bowled over so easily... I guess us people aren't too familliar with them or just too stupid to know how to indicate/drive properly.

I SURVIVED!! :gob:

georgedubyabush
11th August 2003, 15:04
they tend to stick to the strip between Auckland and BOI to maximise their revenue potential I guess. Other than that ive found it pretty good going. Their too busy flying round in the choppers looking for crops, or looking for methlabs in my neighbours garages.

bluninja
11th August 2003, 17:03
Maybe need to ride the roads before I comment.

However on the run back from Taupo on a Sunday evening I saw 1 tin top complete with bicycles pulled over by one (he passed me 10 minutes earlier when I was doing 100) mind you I was just overtaking another racer with trailer before I saw the flashing lights. Then 15 minutes later a racer and his trailer was pulled over by another set of flashing lights, and then 20 minutes later another car and trailer (no motorbikes this time). Finally a revenue collecter parked on the minor road by a crossroads on a straight stretch of SH2 in stealth mode. So only 4, but 3 had already sprung their traps.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
11th August 2003, 17:28
how do you mean 'stealth mode'? you mean with the radar off and only switched on when he thought he saw a speeder? did he scan you too? I'm very interested in how the cops use their radar guns now that I have a detector of my own!

bluninja
11th August 2003, 18:05
Stealth mode....ie hidden from sight until you are almost upon them...like partially obscured by a bush or hedge or roadside furniture. Don't know if radar was on as I don't have a detector.....maybe I should get one?

TTFN

mangell6
11th August 2003, 19:22
Coldkiwi: I'm very interested in how the cops use their radar guns . . . . .
A number have their systems on hot standby so that when they come around a corner they flick it on and GOTCHA!!:argh:

Or hide behind metal dumps (SH4), or amongst trees (pick a SH).

Earlier this year I followed behind a van who had a radar/laser detector - could see the thing with the red led light blinking stuck to the windscreen. We were travelling along in the outside lane of a passing lanes and just as we were coming to the end of the passing lanes, the lanes straightened out after a sweeping bend, coming the other way was a Highway Patrol! We were in full view of him and then he flicked on his radar and the vans radar detector went mad all the red leds lit up, as well as the brake lights of the van. :eek: I was glad I was behind the van.

Ah the joys of state highways and revenue collectors.

Mike

Big Dog
11th August 2003, 23:35
Originally posted by georgedubyabush
they tend to stick to the strip between Auckland and BOI to maximise their revenue potential I guess. Other than that ive found it pretty good going. Their too busy flying round in the choppers looking for crops, or looking for methlabs in my neighbours garages.

Funny thing is they won't attend a aggravated robberry unless the robber is still there or known to a witness:angry2:
Go Figure:Offtopic:

Big Dog
11th August 2003, 23:35
Originally posted by georgedubyabush

Funny thing is they won't attend a aggravated robberry unless the robber is still there or known to a witness:angry2:
Go Figure:Offtopic:

What?
12th August 2003, 20:09
??!?

Most of what the highway patrol do IS armed robbery, isn't it???