PDA

View Full Version : Paul Smart in NZ

ceebie13
23rd January 2008, 13:53
Ducati legend Paul Smart is currently touring NZ - accompanied by a mate of mine from the UK, Nick Broomhall. Both on Ducatis. They are currently doing the west coast South Island, but will be back in Welly next Monday and then heading up to Auckland via Napier. Keep your eyes peeled for a Multi Strada (Paul) and an ST (Nick) in convoy and maybe you can offer that usual kiwi bon-hommie on the roadside!

Edit: Both bikes are silver.

idb
23rd January 2008, 13:54
Ducati legend Paul Smart is currently touring NZ - accompanied by a mate of mine from the UK, Nick Broomhall. Both on Ducatis. They are currently doing the west coast South Island, but will be back in Welly next Monday and then heading up to Auckland via Napier. Keep your eyes peeled for a Multi Strada (Paul) and an ST (Nick) in convoy and maybe you can offer that usual kiwi bon-hommie on the roadside!

I'll be heading up the west coast tomorrow arvo...where are they likely to be do you know?

Deano
23rd January 2008, 13:58
Who is Paul Smart ?

Can you elaborate ?

vifferman
23rd January 2008, 14:05
Who is Paul Smart ?

Can you elaborate ?
You again!
Have you forgotten already: "Remember - the Interdweeb is your friend".
Just Google "Paul Smart"

ceebie13
23rd January 2008, 14:10
I'll be heading up the west coast tomorrow arvo...where are they likely to be do you know?

I don't think they are hanging about, idb. Try anywhere between Haast and Hokitika.

skelstar
23rd January 2008, 14:15
Who is Paul Smart ?

Can you elaborate ?

You're joking right?

ceebie13
23rd January 2008, 14:36
...Who is Paul Smart ?....

Erm...this is Mr Smart, looking smart, with his Smart Ducati.

Short bio here:
http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2007/05/ducati-ps1000-le-paul-smart-rides-again.html

Pex Adams
23rd January 2008, 15:13
Did you tell to look out for cops doing u-turns on blind corners???

Deano
23rd January 2008, 15:35
You again!
Have you forgotten already: "Remember - the Interdweeb is your friend".
Just Google "Paul Smart"

But its quicker and easier just to pester you !! And more fun....

I have honestly never heard of him. But then I ride a Honda so don't shmoooze in Ducatista circles.

ceebie13
23rd January 2008, 15:41
Did you tell to look out for cops doing u-turns on blind corners???

Funny you say that... I did indeed!

But it was too late, my mate Nick (riding with Paul) has already contributed $230 to the NZ economy by being pinged and pulled by a cop who did just that near Taihape on their way from Taupo to Welly.

Sully60
23rd January 2008, 15:44
Funny you say that... I did indeed!

But it was too late, my mate Nick (riding with Paul) has already contributed $230 to the NZ economy by being pinged and pulled by a cop who did just that near Taihape on their way from Taupo to Welly.

So like deano he must have had no idea who Paul is.
I'd never give him a ticket if I was a cop (but I may just have to confiscate one of his bikes!:drool:)

ceebie13
23rd January 2008, 15:49
So like deano he must have had no idea who Paul is.
I'd never give him a ticket if I was a cop (but I may just have to confiscate one of his bikes!:drool:)

Turns out said cop was of the female variety... and suitably attractive enough for Nick to try his luck and suggest dinner...but to no avail.

Oddly she ticketed him with only a UK licence (he's only here for two weeks!) ...is there a reciprocal agreement between NZ and the UK regarding traffic offences? Anyone know?

Pex Adams
23rd January 2008, 16:16
Turns out said cop was of the female variety... and suitably attractive enough for Nick to try his luck and suggest dinner...but to no avail.

Well, I never would have expected a pom lucking out, riding a DUCATI (of all the chick pullers:lol::lol::lol:)..

Deano
23rd January 2008, 16:20
Oddly she ticketed him with only a UK licence (he's only here for two weeks!) ...is there a reciprocal agreement between NZ and the UK regarding traffic offences? Anyone know?

I doubt if they would extradite him over an unpaid ticket - is he ever coming back ? :devil2:

What's the statute of limitations ?

ceebie13
23rd January 2008, 16:35
I doubt if they would extradite him over an unpaid ticket - is he ever coming back ? :devil2:

What's the statute of limitations ?

He had the usual 28 days to pay. But he'll be back in the UK by then.
I hardly think if he re-entered this country his passport would be flagged for a speeding fine. But I wondered more about whether his UK licence will be endorsed for a crime committed here!

Incidently...he coughed up online on the day.

pritch
25th January 2008, 09:10
One can excuse younger people not knowing every racer who ever lived. Just!

But to be ignorant of the current and recent Ducati model line up is raising ignorance to an artform.

I thought it would have been apropriate for Mr S to be touring on a Paul Smart replica but actually I wouldn't wish that much pain on anyone. :whistle:

vfxdog
27th January 2008, 04:05
Don't have to be a Ducatista to know who Paul Smart is- he was mighty big in Kawasaki circles too.
Hope he's having a good time on his trip- he's a really neat guy- I was lucky enough to spend a day with him at a circuit this time last year while he was being covered for a magazine article and photo shoot. Still very fast, and super-smooth.

Blackbird
27th January 2008, 06:53
Pre-Ducati, Paul rode the factory Triumph/BSA triple racers at the same time as Percy Tait and Mike Hailwood. I saw these guys race in the Transatlantic Match Races against the best Americans such as Cal Rayborn and Gary Nixon. The sound of those unsilenced triples was for me the best sounding race bikes of all time - talk about goosebumps!

idb
28th January 2008, 08:29
Well...I got back from the Woodstock Rally last night.

I headed up the coast from home on Thursday night and stayed at Franz Joseph, keeping an eye out for a Multistrada and ST as I went.

On Friday morning I was sitting outside a cafe on the main street just finishing off breakfast and thinking about heading away when...bugger me!!!...two silver dukes go past, a Multistrada and an ST.

Unfortunately they carried on out of town and I thought that was it but they turned around and came back.

They parked up and no more had they got their helmets off than I was pumping Paul's hand, telling him his name, my name, what they were up to and some of their adventures so far.

The poor guy was a bit taken aback until I explained about this forum and they came back and had coffee and a yarn to us for about an hour and a half or so.

He and Nick were really good guys, especially since they had to deal with a grown man gibbering like a school girl at a pop concert.
We tried to convince them to come back to the rally with us but they had some folk to meet in Queenstown.

ceebie13
28th January 2008, 18:56
Haha...Nick called me and relayed that story, idb. Good post.

It's a hunch, but I think they'll be headed up the east coast tomorrow from either CHCH or Kaikoura. They aim to catch the 1.15 boat from Picton.

98tls
28th January 2008, 19:00
Talking to idb at woodstock and he had the good fortune to come across them,lucky bugger.:2thumbsup Edit......bugger,teach me for not reading all posts before posting.