PDA

View Full Version : FFS! Episode 2: The RG Strikes Back

ital916
23rd January 2008, 17:34
Hello everybody.

Well the saga of the very angry RG150 continues. Andrew *motorb* came over this arvo to help fix it, and thus started a tale of laughs, misadventure and the RG ending up a lot more broken that it was, this was not due to us but to the fact that the two stroker decided to shit itself a little more. We drained the petrol out into two buckets *which was then put into my car, lol why waste it?*, and lovely new 98 from bp was put in. She still wouldn't start, we then decided to run her up and down the road to push start her, but as i was running frantically pushing it and andrew trying to get it going the clutch cable exploded, well the end of it did, promptly shooting into andrews hand and tinkering off somewhere *no worries it was retrieved down the road lol*. After getting her in nuetral and having a laff about how we can now do clutchless shifts we wheeled her into the garage and disassembled her to check if there was spark. There was not, we changed plugs and still no spark. So the mystery continues. This is an SOS to anybody who has thoughts. I won't be free till sat due to work but would much appreciate any help on saturday. Until then feel free to write theories and i'll read through the manual and get up to date on the electrics of the motormasickle. Hey stephen...a challenge eh a bike that ya can't fix :Pokey: lol jokes. Anyway, i really need my biek up and running, i hate driving cars. lol I miss biking already. :'(

Ixion
23rd January 2008, 17:36
Ah ha. No spark. At least now you have something definative. A dying coil methinks. Or a didgy connection to the pulsar coil.

Do you have a multimeter ?

Sully60
23rd January 2008, 17:43
Ah ha. No spark. At least now you have something definative. A dying coil methinks. Or a didgy connection to the pulsar coil.

Do you have a multimeter ?

You're probably right there Ixion, but lets take a step back.

Right now that were back here we know that Drider has been fiddling so maybe he needs to check the high and low tension coil wires are still connected properly. While we're at it check all the ignition wire connections from pulser to cdi, cdi main plug (unlikely), and cdi to ignition coil (low tension coil wire)

I'm chronic for doing this type of thing and the older I get and the more fiddling I do I've realised it's the simple things that get dismissed are usually the ones causing the problems.

Have a look at those before going any further Drider, then think about what Ixion said.

motorbyclist
23rd January 2008, 17:58
yeah i have a multimeter but didn't think to bring it.

as Drider said, we swapped out that mobil crap for some actual petrol seeing as the problems came when he filled up at mobil and mobil has ruined many bikes.

wouldn't start, tried push starting and the lead popped off the clutch - easy to fix, cable still intact

decided to check for spark as i never heard her fire once. no visible spark, not brave enough to find if there was any voltage without a meter

man i hate electrical problems - atleast it's not a 2-smoke specific problem

ital916
23rd January 2008, 18:05
Okily dokily Ixion and scully and andrew. I will try to have a look at those things, the things is there is a good chance i wouldn'y be able to tell if they are broke and porb don't even know what they look like. I'll have a nice read through the manual. Sounds really complicated though with the pulsar stuff and cdi and coils. *and the tachyon beams positronic capacitor...wait thats on the enterprise e i have parked out front hehe takes up more space thana hummer*.

MGST
23rd January 2008, 19:04
Dude you'll be the "go to " man for RG's once you've got it sorted!

koba
23rd January 2008, 20:33
I'll have a nice read through the manual. Sounds really complicated though with the pulsar stuff and cdi and coils. *.

Start reading.
Lots.
If you want to work on your own bike you need to be familiar with the whole thing and the basic functions of everything. It no only makes things easier but also more interesting.
Know the manual well and follow it!

Having said that if you can get another working rg handy substituting parts between them untill you find it is X and then getting a new item X can make up very well for lack of experiance.
HOWEVER this is provived you are careful in substituting parts and have a feel for how tight things should be done up and shit like that.

PirateJafa
24th January 2008, 05:45
I suspect when you pulled the sparkplug cap out you may have disconnected the join between the cable and the cap?

At least, that's what Andrew and myself came up with at 3am this morning.

ital916
24th January 2008, 06:02
hmmm thats an interesting idea, can the plug cap be dismantled to check?

Ragingrob
24th January 2008, 07:16
Lol mate this sucks! So you're not heading to Stephen's on friday?

ital916
24th January 2008, 10:01
I'll be there mate, just be bringing the cage thats all lol If i bring ma gear maybe i can ride a bike up and down the driveway, god i miss biking....i've gone cold turkey for two days and i hate it lol

motorbyclist
24th January 2008, 13:31
I suspect when you pulled the sparkplug cap out you may have disconnected the join between the cable and the cap?

At least, that's what Andrew and myself came up with at 3am this morning.

man am i pissed at myself... i set all my alarms for 9am and went to bed. wake up at 2pm

note to self, begin valve clearances in the morning, not evening, and if awake at 5am with things to do (at 530am) simply do not go to bed:laugh:

hmmm thats an interesting idea, can the plug cap be dismantled to check?

probably....

came to mind as being a newbie you might've pulled on the lead rather than the plug, or it may have simply been loose to start with.

jafa's leads seemed to be falling apart in our hands, so that's why it came to mind

but may have just been the sleep deprivation

i might come around again this arvo

Squiggles
24th January 2008, 16:24
just download a fooken manual

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/1747027-Documents-eBooks

or

http://www.e-junkie.com/shop/product/42277.php

or any number of different sites, you will be able to find it for free if you look hard enough

Macstar
24th January 2008, 21:23
Mate, I've been in similar frustrating situations with some of my past bikes (in particular the RGV250, another fellow 2 stroker!). Unless you like mucking around trying to fix your bike, I'd pay the dollars to get her fixed properly once and for all mate (depends what you value your own time at).

Alternatively, I'll sell you the KTM mate:drool: It's rebuilt now and running very well, I've put about 2 hours on the new engine. (Will chuck on TM next week probably).

motorbyclist
24th January 2008, 23:03
just download a fooken manual

don't need to, i came back around to check the leads and apart from finding they would not just pull apart (never known them to pull apart until playing with david's bandit) we also found that there is plenty of potential across the plug (grounded via my body), and the plug is sparking today!

so the bike went first kick (with a bit of choke), and every other kick thereafter

my verdict; it was infact sulking, or suffering a typical case of "twostrokeritis"

maybe it just wanted to hurt me after the last time i rode it:girlfight: