PDA

View Full Version : Computer glitch. Advice pls

candor
23rd January 2008, 23:51
Not at all comp lit - Have been trying to join "trade me" tonite. It sends me the confirmation e-ml. But there is no link to clik - just an attached file called unnamed which contains a indecent spam message.

I cliked "reply" intending to report the problem but the reply address was not the one it came from but rather it bought up "amnesty something or rather". So I deleted this weird addy and manually wrote in the addy "mailer@trademe.co.nz" and reported the prob.

Next an e-ml comes back to me from there with its content being the content of an unrelated message from my inbox!

I start process again at trade me by trying to log in there - it says no cos I have never joined by clikking on confirmation e-ml - an impossibility given there was no message and nothing to clik in the so called confirmation e-ml. It offers to send me another one so I agree. It semnds me a thing titled confirmation e-ml in the subject.

But again no clik on. Just has another message consisting of stuff stolen from an unrelated e-ml in my inbox. I check that e-ml and all my received e-mls, and all now have a mysterous file called unnamed attached. Have I been unlucky and got hacked or got a virus instead of getting to join trade me the first time I tried... or what? And does this mean some stranger now

Any advice appreciated.

Gremlin
24th January 2008, 03:50
First of all, are you sure you are on trademe? It is possible that you're on a site that appears to be trademe.

Second, as ridiculous as it sounds, you can't email TradeMe. They don't accept general emails :angry2:

Third... Have you got anti-virus software? I would be doing a full scan.

Fourth, what sort of email address are you using (business, public domain such as gmail/hotmail etc)? Its possible that filtering software could be interfering with the email.

Unless TradeMe has just been hacked, they wouldn't be sending spam. It also appears you have possibly mistaken a spam email for the one you were looking for. This is possible, as you mention you went to reply to the message, and a "to" address was listed.

awayatc
24th January 2008, 05:38
Very good advise, the virus one in my mind the most likely....

candor
24th January 2008, 23:19
Thx. Third time lucky I got a right registration e-ml that had a clik on. It must have been a hacker. Trade me wrote back to my complaint which I musta done on the contact form - only to say I was registered now - but no light shed on events at all. You'd think it would worry them, but they just said to change my password. Virus scans - never been able to download freeware successfully. Never done one and am surviving so far!

Headbanger
25th January 2008, 00:58
People like yourself should be barred from the net until they smarten up.

Here are 5 links to download AVG, listed under Free Downloads From:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_AntiVirus_Free_Edition_d886.html

Use a download manager if it hangs before completion.

Gremlin
25th January 2008, 01:14
Its possible that the OS is so riddled with crap that the viruses stop the good stuff. Have seen it before. If that is the case... your OS is a write off, and not worth repairing... re-install. :jerry:

awayatc
25th January 2008, 07:32
Thx. Third time lucky I got a right registration e-ml that had a clik on. It must have been a hacker. Trade me wrote back to my complaint which I musta done on the contact form - only to say I was registered now - but no light shed on events at all. You'd think it would worry them, but they just said to change my password. Virus scans - never been able to download freeware successfully. Never done one and am surviving so far!

Surviving so far....? just barely hanging in it appears....
Ask somebody to sort it out for you if you don't know what you are doing....
You don't ride on your bike naked either do you..?
Your computer must be riddled with spyware/adware and most likely viruses-trojans etc etc etc.

Mully
25th January 2008, 07:41
Does your computer have Upside Down Forks?

If not, that's probably the problem.

scracha
25th January 2008, 16:24
Sing up for a yahoo or gmail email account and use that for Trademe. Otherwise your "good" email address will end up with lots of spam