PDA

View Full Version : I need copper tubing!

Lias
24th January 2008, 08:44
Can anyone suggest a place to get some copper tubing cheap?

I need ~7.5m of 6.35mm OD soft copper tubing, but tracking it down at a reasonable price is proving elusive.. all the suppliers are either price gouging like mad, or will only sell me an entire 15m coil.

Are any of you (preferably in Hamilton) plumbers or aircon/refigeration techs and can hook me up?

ManDownUnder
24th January 2008, 08:45
Trademe or metal recyclers...

smoky
24th January 2008, 08:56
You could drive around some of the new flash subdivisions, find a house under construction and just take what you need - that's what every other bastard is doing.
:mad: :2guns:

What do you want it for – making bio fuel or alcohol?

Lias
24th January 2008, 08:57
Already tried tardme, and I doubt anything from a metal recycler is going to be in decent condition given thisis soft copper.

Lias
24th January 2008, 08:59
You could drive around some of the new flash subdivisions, find a house under construction and just take what you need - that's what every other bastard is doing.

http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/~gmilburn/ac/

Homemade Aircon :-)

ManDownUnder
24th January 2008, 09:01
Already tried tardme, and I doubt anything from a metal recycler is going to be in decent condition given thisis soft copper.

Understood but give them a go... I know the price is royally outrageous and they might... I was amased at what my local guy had around the place when needed lengths of 1 1/2" water pipe (I know - very different stuff... but his range of stuff was HUGE!)

imdying
24th January 2008, 09:02
Taylors will have it, 1/4" like that is probably around $6-$8 a metre. If you get absolutely stuck, I'll cut you off 7.5m and send it to you. If that's what you want, remind me on Saturday morning and I'll confirm P & A.

/edit: And any HVAC place will have nice soft copper tube in 1/4" and will almost certainly chop you off a length

Pussy
24th January 2008, 09:29
.....buy a hundred pound of yeast and some copper line, ev'rybody knew that he made moonshine.....

crazybigal
24th January 2008, 09:43
dont be silly, builders hardly use copper anymore, plastic is cheaper to use in new leaky house's

Smokin
24th January 2008, 20:40
Try Hydraulink, they sell it by the metre at our local branch.

LardEmbargo
24th January 2008, 21:33

yeah, you'd've thunk, but the guy at the scrap metal shop down the road here must hook out any bits that look like they might be useful (half-used coils of 6mm diameter soft copper refrigeration tube, for instance) cos when I was looking for some he'd got a bunch hanging on the wall up out of the way. Not sh1tloads of it by any means, and not every time I was in there, but I picked up a fair amount just going back every week or so.

He'll only charge you scrap copper money for it as well, which was refreshing after the $70-please-bend-over-and-grab-your-ankles quote I got for a roll from the plumbing supply place.

Also if you only want a bit instead of the whole roll, be careful some eejit doesn't uncoil the thing to measure it if you still need it to be soft copper tubing afterwards. It'll work-harden and be a total bastard to bend into the shape you actually wanted later.

Hitcher
24th January 2008, 21:36
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only came to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line

Pussy
24th January 2008, 21:46
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only came to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line

Beat you to it, Hitcher!! See above

koba
25th January 2008, 11:58
Hehehe, that was playin' in my head too...

Sully60
25th January 2008, 11:59
Hehehe, that was playin' in my head too...

But no one is taking seeds from Columbia to Mexico!

Pussy
25th January 2008, 12:02
...learned a thing or two from Charlie, don't you know....

SPman
25th January 2008, 12:23
Copper tubing?....

Sounded like another police beat up thread.........

koba
25th January 2008, 14:05
But no one is taking seeds from Columbia to Mexico!

Not when you can get just as good from Wainui! :doobey:

yeah yeah, :Offtopic: