PDA

View Full Version : [Auckland] Decent tattoo artist?

zeocen
24th January 2008, 11:22
So I've got a design, it's taken almost a decade to decide on one and design one and actually like it from start to finish, look over it for a few days knowing its 'meaning' and still like it. I am happy.

SO, Aucklanders. What, in your humble opinions is a good designer for mostly flat colours (mainly blue and green) and great line artwork? It will be around 3x7" along the inner forearm so perhaps a ballpark price would be great if someone knows as well.

Thanks!:sunny:

love, zeo.:love:

FilthyLuka
24th January 2008, 11:31
Dean, at illicit on K road. He kicks galactic ass

There is a chick also that works there, she is good, but makes grown men cry. Strap your arse down and tattoo your fool arse till its finished. Then give you a lollypop :)

Yeah, dean has about a 2 month waiting list cause he is THAT fucken good

Ewan Oozarmy
24th January 2008, 12:26
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=64413

MSTRS
24th January 2008, 12:28
PM Grumpy - he has some real kickarse ones. I'm sure he will send you in the right direction.

Chickadee
24th January 2008, 12:39
I got a tattoo aged 21 (some gals I worked with got it as my going away pressie) from these guys, bearing in mind that's 10yrs ago and it's still looking great. Eastside tattoo Studio 118 Vincent Street, Howick 537 3336, 021 779 680

Good luck with getting the tattoo, look forward to seeing the finished result wherever you get it done!

Lucyloo
24th January 2008, 12:47
I can also recommend Chris at Eastside.

99TLS
24th January 2008, 12:57
eastside good as is dermagraphics on college hill in snoby, also moniques on lincoln rd out west

SixPackBack
24th January 2008, 12:58
Dean, at illicit on K road. He kicks galactic ass

There is a chick also that works there, she is good, but makes grown men cry. Strap your arse down and tattoo your fool arse till its finished. Then give you a lollypop :)

Yeah, dean has about a 2 month waiting list cause he is THAT fucken good

Dean has started up his own place now, however Illicit is still the place. Ask for Adam.

zeocen
24th January 2008, 13:15
Thanks for the advice guys, I had a look at the Illicit site and Adam's work looks amazing, and quite like the colours and style I am looking for. I will also go check out Eastside too, hopefully the funds will allow for it to be done all at once (if that's possible/if I can handle the pain, I'm a bit of a girl).

Will definitely post the end result! This is going to be the start of a half sleeve so I have made it so there is a lot of room for expansion, it's just something I've wanted to do since my teen years and a recent brush with "oh shit." reminded me that I better stop lazying around and start doing things before it's too late!

Thanks again!

/Edit, also if anyone has any tattoos from the people mentioned above I'd absolutely love to see them!

SixPackBack
24th January 2008, 13:47
Thanks for the advice guys, I had a look at the Illicit site and Adam's work looks amazing, and quite like the colours and style I am looking for. I will also go check out Eastside too, hopefully the funds will allow for it to be done all at once (if that's possible/if I can handle the pain, I'm a bit of a girl).

Will definitely post the end result! This is going to be the start of a half sleeve so I have made it so there is a lot of room for expansion, it's just something I've wanted to do since my teen years and a recent brush with "oh shit." reminded me that I better stop lazying around and start doing things before it's too late!

Thanks again!

/Edit, also if anyone has any tattoos from the people mentioned above I'd absolutely love to see them!

I have a half sleeve complete on my right arm and half sleeve due to be finished next week, all work by Adam.

Firefight
24th January 2008, 15:56
/Edit, also if anyone has any tattoos from the people mentioned above I'd absolutely love to see them![/QUOTE]

hey matt,

have used eastside pretty good value, very clean, my daughter and I are going back to get some more work done in march, will show you next time I catch up.

:Offtopic: yeah so what ... how is the recovery going ?

F/F

zeocen
24th January 2008, 16:05
SixPack: Have you got any photos of your sleeve?

Dave: Hey mate! Yeah I'm doing pretty well, out of the sling now and no more aches.. apparently I'm not good enough to ride yet, what do doctors know :( Cheers for the tattoo info, I'll definitely go check them out!

<G>
24th January 2008, 16:12
Anybody have tattoos done at Streetwise in Newmarket? Thinking of having mine done there.

Heard about Dermographic and Illicit, but will have a look at the Howick one, close to home. Won't be far to go to recover afterwards :)

xwhatsit
24th January 2008, 16:42
Why, why, why?! You seemed like such a nice boy! :D

LilSel
24th January 2008, 16:49
I've had the majority of mine done at moniques euro tattoo on lincoln rd. They are really nice people & very hygenic etc :niceone:

Chickadee
24th January 2008, 17:58
Just remember to breath through the discomfort when you're getting tattoo'd. Young fella was getting a tattoo while I was getting mine - he held his breath (bad idea - he nearly passed out). They won't tattoo you if you're not coping or breathing!

zeocen
24th January 2008, 19:07
Why, why, why?! You seemed like such a nice boy! :D

Don't worry, nothing will change. I'll still be the nice, quiet, mild mannered boy who kicks your ass at MotoGP on xbox :devil2:

YellowDog
24th January 2008, 19:12
Most don't take as long as you have to decide on such a big decsion. Hope you don't reget it.

Good luck.

xwhatsit
24th January 2008, 19:15
Don't worry, nothing will change. I'll still be the nice, quiet, mild mannered boy who kicks your ass at MotoGP on xbox :devil2:

I was letting you win, to boost your ego extra-high, so I could crush it all the more convincingly when Wii Tennis rolled around.

When it's done, pics kthx :)

zeocen
24th January 2008, 19:30
Most don't take as long as you have to decide on such a big decsion. Hope you don't reget it.

Good luck.

Most was procrastination, I'm pretty confident when I'm older I'll regret it, but I'll remember at the time I got it, I was happy and content. A memory like that is enough to warrant tattooes for me. I think I read too much into things :P

SixPackBack
24th January 2008, 21:39
Zeocen. My 'inking' started at the grand age of 35.....I am happy with how its turned out but glad I waited.
If your getting a half sleeve get them to draw it for you. Gives you enough chance to change the design and be sure you are happy.
The pain is real and not to be underestimated on a major tatt such as a sleeve. Drug/alcohol consumption preceding your appointment is a really bad idea [trust me on this]. Take some water with you and avoid lots of exercise for a few days before.
And sorry bud I do not have a picture but will endeavour to organise one for you within the next few days.

Mekk
24th January 2008, 22:58
Rene at Stained Skin in Newmarket is pretty good.

I've heard Rose (I think that's her name?) at Illicit has a bit of a rep for being brutal...but she's good.

Lucy
25th January 2008, 01:11
, hopefully the funds will allow for it to be done all at once (if that's possible/if I can handle the pain, I'm a bit of a girl).

!

Ahem. I would red rep you for that, only I'm a gentleman!

Maha
25th January 2008, 15:48
And sorry bud I do not have a picture but will endeavour to organise one for you within the next few days.

Heres one of ya right arm

SixPackBack
25th January 2008, 15:50
Heres one of ya right arm

Cheers Mark but thats the half finished version...another $400 and 4 painfull hours later:( tis' all finished

007XX
25th January 2008, 16:01
Cheers Mark but thats the half finished version...another $400 and 4 painfull hours later:( tis' all finished

And the piccies are where? C'mon...:clap:

mitchilin
25th January 2008, 16:41
zeocon.You're doing the right thing researching your tattoo artist.I didn't and got my arm butchered.It cost me twice the original price to fix it....and now I have trust issues.

NC
25th January 2008, 19:04
Damian at uptown Tattoo in Matakana:cool:

NC
25th January 2008, 19:07

I just gotta join mine up and i'll have sleeves:pinch:

SixPackBack
25th January 2008, 20:30
As promised. Photo courtesy Amy.

Right arm. Original sun with ying/yang from surfers crica 1999, added to and recoloured with traditional Japanese style snake featuring 'diablo' tyre tread on the scales.

Left arm. Original Maori/Celtic circle that I hated almost immediately [circa 2002]. Being completely covered with traditional Japanese Dragon. Original tatt will become a giant pearl. To be finished next Thursday.

Pain score=7/10
Wallet score=several sets of Continental race attacks

ravenfeeder
29th December 2009, 12:30
I recently got a tatto at Dermographics and am really really disappointed - is a very simple and small tattoot and the colour is uneven, the spirals are unmatched and i am just totally gutted actually! Wish ihad never got it :((

Mully
29th December 2009, 12:56
My brother does them from home - or he comes to you.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll get him to send you some photos of his work.

jimmy 2006
29th December 2009, 13:02
that sucks bro.

go see Tom Mcmillan, at Tattooed heart. and get him to fix it up.
there is nothing worse than a tat that your not happy with.

xed comes to nz now and again, and would really recommend him. his work is amazing. http://www.xedtattoo.com/

Inia taylor is the best out there when it comes to ta moko and kirituhi.
and i would recommend him to anyone. amazing artist, and really nice guy.

six pack, for the first time ever i agree with you, Adam's work is awesome.

Little Miss Trouble
29th December 2009, 15:23
I recently got a tatto at Dermographics and am really really disappointed - is a very simple and small tattoot and the colour is uneven, the spirals are unmatched and i am just totally gutted actually! Wish ihad never got it :((

Have you been back and told them? Sometimes colour work can come out slightly upeven, which is why they should (and did with me) get you to come back in a couple of weeks and make sure your completely happy with it.

I for one am more than happy with the work I've had done with them, and will be going back to them for my next one :2thumbsup

nzwheels
22nd December 2010, 07:51
marty payne is a nz artist who has been working over seas for the last 7 years and has returned home he is amazing at maori kirituhi but can do anything he has a site under marty payne on facebook and myspace this guy has been tattooing for over twenty years and knows his shit check him out i think he is home for good and is doing some work for his mate at blue lotus in albany if you do a goggle search you will find him