PDA

View Full Version : DUNEDIN Adventure/Dual purpose riders – listen up guys!!!

GaZBur
24th January 2008, 21:22
DUNEDIN Adventure/Dual purpose riders – listen up guys!!!

The Otago Motorcycle Club is holding the clubmans series again this year. Only 8 events this year though and ideal for a dual-purpose bike.

Events are -
Road Race
Miniature TT
Road Hill Climb
¼ mile Sprint
Gravel Hill Climb
Economy Run
Gravel Bent Sprint
Road Trial.

There are two classes
Class 1 for newbies. No wheel changes allowed only tyres.
Class 2 for more experienced and allows wheel changes.

First event is the Road trial on the 17th Feb so you got time to get organized.

This series is a real hoot and you will have fun if you enter. I did most of the events last year on my DR650 and had an absolute ball, I reported some of the events in the DR650 thread here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=50896&page=4). I will be doing it again myself this year. You don't need to be a fantastic rider or have a super competitive bike. If you want some advice on how to get started or join the Club PM me.
GaZBur

nerdneh
25th January 2008, 15:48
Hi Gazbur, Did you not see my request to you re DR650 posted on your thread Central Otago Trails page 6. ? Be great if we had your clubs access to facilities in Tasman district , the in thing up this neck of the woods is to U turn motorcyclists of the road & into oblivion, the less bikes in the district the better thats the motto. look foward to your thoughts.

GaZBur
25th January 2008, 17:08
Hi Gazbur, Did you not see my request to you re DR650 posted on your thread Central Otago Trails page 6. ? Be great if we had your clubs access to facilities in Tasman district , the in thing up this neck of the woods is to U turn motorcyclists of the road & into oblivion, the less bikes in the district the better thats the motto. look foward to your thoughts.

Hi Nerdneh
I put some pics and notes on what I do to set up for Motarding in the DR650 thread here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=50896&page=3). I am no mechanic and the things I do are pretty rough and ready. I also mention a few mods specific to the DR650 there such as jets and gearing. (Check NordieBoys thread for DR650 info too) Most of the Clubmans events however require little setting up of the bike.

We are very lucky here to have an active club and a real good bunch too, both members and officials. The first time I just turned up to race not knowing anything and people just offered help and advise. Set up for Motard is not required for most of the other events as the majority of things you do for motard are to protect the track from damage, not the bike or rider.
General bike set up is covered by the MNZ rules (http://www.mnz.co.nz/competitionrules.aspx)for sanctioned events such as road races and covers saftey items etc.

Motard racing is not part of the Clubmans event series but is also a fantastic and exciting part of the Otago Club scene. Anybody with a Dual purpose bike should check out the racing we have at the Silverstream Kart track. Racing usually once a month with the Bucket racers when the season starts.

nerdneh
25th January 2008, 20:47
Thanks Gary for your reply, your so lucky to live in Otago , am wrapped that at least there is a district in the mainland that encourages bike sport. Will do as suggested. Have put whats done to my DR on DR owners thread, just got to fit my carb/fib muffler [ 4lb ] & K&N filter & readjust jetting . Then see what the results are. Speedo is 10kms high against GPS readings. Kind regards,Murray.

GaZBur
12th February 2008, 08:54
Hi Guys

You should sign up for the Clubmans this week if you want the extra 5 points for signing up early (before 17th Feb).
First event is the Road trial this weekend. Sadly I won't be entering the first event so you should get at least a 5 to 10 point headstart on me anyway!
Good Luck!

Ruralman
12th February 2008, 12:54
Hi Guys

You should sign up for the Clubmans this week if you want the extra 5 points for signing up early (before 17th Feb).
First event is the Road trial this weekend. Sadly I won't be entering the first event so you should get at least a 5 to 10 point headstart on me anyway!
Good Luck!

Good luck with these events - its not my scene, especially on the big pig I ride now, but would be great fun on the right machine.

oldrider
13th February 2008, 13:46
Good luck with these events - its not my scene, especially on the big pig I ride now, but would be great fun on the right machine.

So, "after purchase blues" ruling our lives now are they? :confused:

Are we lamenting the fact that we didn't go for the pipe and slippers model. :doh:

Never mind, I am still pleased with mine! :niceone: Cheers John.

NordieBoy
13th February 2008, 19:51

Are we lamenting the fact that we didn't go for the pipe and slippers model. :doh:

You stirring John?
Not like you at all...

:jerry:

Ruralman
15th February 2008, 21:57

No "after purchase blues" from me my friend - and NO I DON"T wish I'd bought the "pipe and slippers" model.
But for this sort of event it would be a big pig to chuck around - I reckon one of the new KTM 690's would be the thing for these events

I am very happy with the Tiger - had a decent ride behind the "Yellow Wasp" (aka Delphinus) without a pillion a couple of weekends back - amazing how much easier it was to keep up with him! - but few bikes do everything so well as the Tiger

oldrider
16th February 2008, 14:31
No "after purchase blues" from me my friend - and NO I DON"T wish I'd bought the "pipe and slippers" model.
But for this sort of event it would be a big pig to chuck around - I reckon one of the new KTM 690's would be the thing for these events

I am very happy with the Tiger - had a decent ride behind the "Yellow Wasp" (aka Delphinus) without a pillion a couple of weekends back - amazing how much easier it was to keep up with him! - but few bikes do everything so well as the Tiger

Well that is good to hear, you had me worried there for a moment, it looked like you were being tempted by the dark side again. :Pokey: :lol: John.

PS: You haven't mentioned the latest adornment for the Tiger :shutup: Satisfaction? :spudwhat:

_Shrek_
18th February 2008, 19:42

I think you & I may differ on that point old chap :sherlock:

oldrider
18th February 2008, 20:38
I think you & I may differ on that point old chap :sherlock:

Enter Darth Vader (from the dark side) and suddenly Ruralman is talking sense again. (lol) :bleh: Cheers John.

GaZBur
6th March 2008, 15:01
Hi Guys

2 events some of you may be intersted in-
The economy run this weekend which is a Clubmans event and
The Have a Go Day at Levels on the 15th March.
I posted the info from the club newsletter and the entry form for the Have a go day in Otago Meetings thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1461013&postcount=1778) if you want to enter.
You will need to be quick to get into the Have a Go Day as entries close 5pm on the 7th March...
I took my DR650 on the last Levels HAGD and had an absolute ball so get stuck in!!!!

GaZBur
2nd April 2008, 20:11
Something may be of interest to us happening in Invercargill.
Rnd 3 of the Summer Road race series.
I phoned up John Beck from the SMCC today to see what the deal was on the 20th. He said the last round they had enough bikes for a Super Motard class. Can expect at least 3+ races. So if you got a racing license ($50)and a Dual purpose turn up to sign in at 9am Sunday. They are also having a Have a go session each racing round for those that want to get a track experience.($30)
I hope to be there with a couple of mates for the Motard class anyway.
If it turns out good we may do the WInter series.

GaZBur
22nd April 2008, 10:01
Just got the OMCC newsletter - motards this Sunday (27thApril) at Silverstream guys in case you missed the newsletter.

GaZBur
22nd April 2008, 10:12
A few of us went down to Teretonga on Sunday for round three of the SMCC Summer series coz we heard they had included a Motard class in the last round. Got plenty of racing in too!
One of the officials (Sorry didn't get his name) said if enough Motards are interested they will be included in the Winter series as well. Impression I got was if they don't get enough interest then it won't happen. The locals were quite friendly and keen for us to be there so we intend to keep going down when we can anyway - but more Dunedin riders would help them I guess.
Their calendar hasn't been set yet I believe but the first round of the Winter series is the 25th May. Keep an eye on their web site http://www.southlandmotorcycleclub.org.nz/
Get into it guys!