PDA

View Full Version : Warning all XBox users with Mod Chips!

StoneChucker
15th November 2004, 13:13
If your XBox has a mod chip, and you are, or plan to play Halo2 on XBox live, you will be banned from XBox live. :2guns: Microsoft have stepped up security measures, to ensure a quality service and fair play to all genuine users...

manuboy
15th November 2004, 13:17
That usually applies to any modded X-box where you can't disable the Mod Chip. I don't think Halo 2 is any different in that regard, apart from the fact that they'll probably police it more heavily. It's always been the case (apparently) that if you were detected on live, they could reset some of your flash bios params.... (o'er....), making your xbox unbootable.

BTW, i'm selling the collectors edition on TradeMe, if anybody wants it i'll pull the auction and you can have it a *little* cheaper. Thats assuming i can still pull the auction.

Ghost Lemur
15th November 2004, 13:57
Never been a fan of being told what I can and can't do with hardware I've bought. Probably why I've never bothered getting into consoles.

There'll always be work arounds and hacks, and they can't stop it.

Quasievil
15th November 2004, 14:01
Stonechucker !!! get of your bloody computer and go for a ride on your bike and stop being a big Girls blouse or I will come down there and kick ya up the Bum !!:moon:

I think

Jamezo
15th November 2004, 14:04
crap, I guess that's what happens when you combine consoles (steriotypically purchased by people of lower than PC gamer intelligence, if you would allow the generalisation :sweatdrop ) and Microsoft (no explanation required)

Deutchland uber alles?

jrandom
15th November 2004, 14:14
... people of lower than PC gamer intelligence

You postulate the existence of Bears of Lesser Brain than the EverCrack hordes?

My head in amazement shakes.

Me, I'm just envious of anyone with *time* to play games, be they on filthy consoles, or on desktop computers of the utmost l33tness.

Devil
15th November 2004, 14:15
Yeah its a bit dodgy doing anything with xbox live if you're modded.
Even though I cant play online, I still luvs it :D

MrMelon
15th November 2004, 14:27
You can lock a modded xbox's drive and boot off the original bios so ms have no way of knowing whether it's modded or not.

Devil
15th November 2004, 14:29
You can lock a modded xbox's drive and boot off the original bios so ms have no way of knowing whether it's modded or not.
Does that apply to permanently modded ones? Or the disableable onessesses.

Hoon
15th November 2004, 14:33
Yes even as we speak the online Xbox hacking community is rallying to this new challenge. Apparently MS introduced a new banning check to Xbox live the day before Halo2 was released. The most popular theory going around is that this check looks at your hard drive serial and eprom. Also it doesn't seem to have anything to do with whatever game you are playing (i.e. not Halo 2 specific).

People that have been banned have been able to put back in their original HD, eprom and get back on again.

Give them another week or 2 and a new bios will be out to defeat this latest attempt by Microsoft.....

Warren
15th November 2004, 14:35

No they check for the bios and also if the hard drive is original. People that have upgraded their hard drive and used the original bios have been banned from xbox live.

Paul in NZ
15th November 2004, 14:46
Threads like this just make me feel old and marginalised...

Think I'll go home early, play with bike parts and see if there is beer in the fridge...

sigh

Paul N (wots a hex box? Do witches keep their spells in them?)

Drunken Monkey
15th November 2004, 14:55
I have a stock Xbox. I was thinking of getting one chipped as since I moved flats it is now my only (crap) DVD player, and I can't play anything but Zone 4 on it. I'm not likely to ever use Xbox live.

So...

If someone has a chipped Xbox that can play all zone DVDs, and would like to swap it for a stock one so they can play Xbox live, please PM me...

toads
15th November 2004, 15:29

I modded our xbox and had it so I could turn off the mod chip for the purpose of playing using the original bios should I ever wish too, xbox live was never a possiblity here with crap dialup internet, but i wanted to chip the xbox so I could use it on the network I have at home, as a computer, you can get xbox versions of linux etc, very cool machines xboxes really, I still have the chip cos the xbox shat it's hdd, thanks to a certain person who lives here repeatedly booting it up and turning the power button on and off every few seconds

StoneChucker
15th November 2004, 15:36
Stonechucker !!! get of your bloody computer and go for a ride on your bike and stop being a big Girls blouse or I will come down there and kick ya up the Bum !!
Are you bloody drinking, AGAIN, Quasi? Do you NOT follow any of the "current events"??? :blah: I's got no friggen bike :crybaby:

Yeah, I just read up that you can upgrade the hard drive of the Xbox, and install other hardware parts, practically turning it into a computer, running linux. I have no clue how to do that at the moment, and I probably haven't got time to bother learning.

mangell6
15th November 2004, 16:17
Paul N (wots a hex box? Do witches keep their spells in them?)

Its a box for those HEX spanner screwy thingies that come with modern bikes.

k14
15th November 2004, 16:32
Yeah that is pretty old news, pretty standard. Never attempted to play xbox live but the modchip in my one is easily turned on and off depending on how long the power button is held for on boot up. So I guess that is the best compromise.

matthewt
15th November 2004, 18:05
pah !! just use xbConnect and be done with it. At least then you can play any system link game instead of just xblive enabled games.

Slipstream
15th November 2004, 21:01
I modded our xbox and had it so I could turn off the mod chip for the purpose of playing using the original bios should I ever wish too,

Ditto...Do you have an internal or external switch?

I have an External one, really handy but came with a damned annoying blue light :crazy:

Also, what type of mod you get? I got an Xecuter 2, but my friend just got a Xenum. Are there any others?

Infact, does anyone know what the latest soft/hardware stuff you can get are?
Like, I have XMPB and C. C is more helpful but I prefer B. Was there an A or was that a prototype?

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm talking out my arse, but I'd like to know what's out there, rather than just what I have.

Blakamin
16th November 2004, 07:19
Also, what type of mod you get? I got an Xecuter 2, but my friend just got a Xenum. Are there any others?

Like, I have XMPB and C. C is more helpful but I prefer B. Was there an A or was that a prototype?

:eek5:

Thank f*ck i've got a ps2!

btw, you can also get linux for ps2

MrMelon
16th November 2004, 10:01
xbConnect looks like the biz. I was always meaning to try it but never got around to it.
Might hire halo 2 out tonight and have a go at it online.
But Halflife 2's out tonight, so I don't know how much playtime it'll be getting :O

MrMelon
16th November 2004, 10:07
Ditto...Do you have an internal or external switch?

I have an External one, really handy but came with a damned annoying blue light :crazy:

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm talking out my arse, but I'd like to know what's out there, rather than just what I have.

There are loads of different mod chips you can get. I just got a $20 aladdin one, which is pretty simple, but lets you turn it on or off by holding the power button in for a second, or just pressing it. I think the xenium ones are pretty pricey, but they've got their own OS on the chip and a few more features.

There have been a few different media players for modded xboxes, and i'm sure there will be plenty more. One of the original ones was XBMP (xbox media player) which was replaced by XBMC (xbox media center). There are quite a few sites around dedicated to releasing new software for the xbox, but XBMC works for me, so I've got no reason to change it :D

Dr Bob
16th November 2004, 10:14
Does the use of programme migration come into probing in any way?, I don't have any gaming console (no time etc.) but I am reliably informed that the processing distribution with the Xbox live colloboration is performed through application migration rather than interbox communication. So, when someone else is 'probing' your console they are doing so with your own local processing ability- meaning they are potentially ways that the process can be fooled.

matthewt
16th November 2004, 10:48
xbConnect looks like the biz. I was always meaning to try it but never got around to it.
Might hire halo 2 out tonight and have a go at it online.
But Halflife 2's out tonight, so I don't know how much playtime it'll be getting :O

The people at xbc are in the process of releasing a new version which won't require so much involvement with your PC. My brother is getting hooked up tonight so it might be time for a bit of "brotherly love" Halo style :bash: :bash:

If you want to play Halo 2 let me know. I've got a copy you can borrow.

I went for a cheap aladdin chip as well. It does everything I need it to do. I then sold my 400 disc cd player to fund a 120Gb hard drive and I've converted 75% of my cd's to mp3's which are loaded on the box. Much easier to search for a song than the 13 character lcd that was on the cd player.

inlinefour
16th November 2004, 11:03
If your XBox has a mod chip, and you are, or plan to play Halo2 on XBox live, you will be banned from XBox live. :2guns: Microsoft have stepped up security measures, to ensure a quality service and fair play to all genuine users...

Microsoftcocks are really going over the top over pirated PC games also :finger:

MrMelon
16th November 2004, 12:08
The people at xbc are in the process of releasing a new version which won't require so much involvement with your PC. My brother is getting hooked up tonight so it might be time for a bit of "brotherly love" Halo style :bash: :bash:

If you want to play Halo 2 let me know. I've got a copy you can borrow.

I went for a cheap aladdin chip as well. It does everything I need it to do. I then sold my 400 disc cd player to fund a 120Gb hard drive and I've converted 75% of my cd's to mp3's which are loaded on the box. Much easier to search for a song than the 13 character lcd that was on the cd player.

Ah yeah it'd be cool if I could borrow your copy of halo 2 for an hour or 2 *whistles innocently*

I've got a 120 gig drive in the xbox, but it's about 1/2 full with games. All the rest of my media's just mounted through smb shares. It all works really well.

Ghost Lemur
16th November 2004, 12:47
:eek5:

Thank f*ck i've got a ps2!

btw, you can also get linux for ps2

Linux for PS2 has been out for a couple of years. You can buy the sony kit for it, or do your own hacking. See
here (http://playstation2-linux.com/) and here (http://www.ps2linux.com/) to start. Heaps of info floating around about it.

Ghost Lemur
16th November 2004, 12:49
SC - see here (http://www.xbox-linux.org/) for xbox-linux. :)

Hoon
16th November 2004, 12:59
Yeah same. I was running out of space on my xbox 120GB drive so now I just share most the stuff across the network from my PC. I stream movies from my PC to the xbox using VLC which negates any codec issues that xbmc might have. I also trimmed out the unnecessary files (xbl, languages) from my ripped games and that freed up gigs of space too.

But now I have a DVD burner I'm trying to get away from ripping games to HDD and burning them to DVD instead.

Xboxs totally rock once you chip them!!

Blakamin
16th November 2004, 13:09
Linux for PS2 has been out for a couple of years. You can buy the sony kit for it, or do your own hacking. See
here (http://playstation2-linux.com/) and here (http://www.ps2linux.com/) to start. Heaps of info floating around about it.
Been meaning to play with it for ages, but i dont even use my ps2 anymore... it's sitting somewhere gathering dust....
I did, however, get my welcome pack a few weeks ago...only had this ps2 for 2 years!!!

matthewt
16th November 2004, 14:35
Ah yeah it'd be cool if I could borrow your copy of halo 2 for an hour or 2 *whistles innocently*

I've got a 120 gig drive in the xbox, but it's about 1/2 full with games. All the rest of my media's just mounted through smb shares. It all works really well.

I lent it to a friend on Saturday but he should be finished by now :whistle:

I'll PM you when I get it back (next day or so).

I didn't know about the SMB shares so I might ask you how at some stage.

MrMelon
16th November 2004, 15:31
Cheers. :D

k14
16th November 2004, 16:32
Just wondering what the deal is with xbconnect. I've got 2 modded xbox's at my disposal at the moment and wouldn't mind having a crack at it. I presume you need the xbox connection kit. Can you play copied versions of games on it?

matthewt
16th November 2004, 18:05
Just wondering what the deal is with xbconnect. I've got 2 modded xbox's at my disposal at the moment and wouldn't mind having a crack at it. I presume you need the xbox connection kit. Can you play copied versions of games on it?

xbconnect is just a way to fool the xboxes into thinking that you are playing people on a local network (ie, system link) when infact you are playing people over the net. You install some software on your pc which is used to glue everyone together.

If you don't have a router to share the internet connection between your PC and your xbox then you'll need a 2nd network card (approx $15) and some routing software.

They are about to release a new version which should make it even easier to use.

Oh, it's 100% free and you can use modded or stock boxes. xbconnect doesn't care.

Slipstream
17th November 2004, 08:43
There have been a few different media players for modded xboxes, and i'm sure there will be plenty more. One of the original ones was XBMP (xbox media player) which was replaced by XBMC (xbox media center).

Now I feel like a complete twat! :Oops: I don't know why I thought it was XBMB? Or whatever I said...I meant XBMP and then XBMC...I'm getting my letters confused.

I've worked out how to use most of the applications. I once saw a book on Chipping your XBOX ( a guy actually wrote a book on it, unbelievable :lol:)
I wish I knew where he got it from. Everytime I asked, he just taped his nose and winked :rolleyes: It had information on all the applications and their uses. I never actually got round to reading the damn thing. :sneaky2:

matthewt
18th November 2004, 21:05
When I brought Halo2 at Dick Smiths (the night it came out) my name went into a national draw for some prizes.

Got a phone call today that I had won the draw so just popped in today to pick up $400 worth of games !!

Sadly I couldn't pick which ones they were but all in all I was quite happy with the ones I got (Fable, Sudeki, some rally game & a couple of PC titles).

Blakamin
19th November 2004, 07:17
When I brought Halo2 at Dick Smiths (the night it came out) my name went into a national draw for some prizes.

Got a phone call today that I had won the draw so just popped in today to pick up $400 worth of games !!

Sadly I couldn't pick which ones they were but all in all I was quite happy with the ones I got (Fable, Sudeki, some rally game & a couple of PC titles).
Well done... :2thumbsup

matthewt
19th November 2004, 17:42
Well done... :2thumbsup

Thanks, I'm flogging the two pc titles on trademe and I'll probably keep the xbox ones for a while.