PDA

View Full Version : Who/how much for panelbeating tank/repainting?

xwhatsit
28th January 2008, 00:51
'Lo,

Perhaps some of you have seen my thread about a gentleman knocking over my bike. Anyhow, the biggest chunk of money for repairs will be for taking some minor dents out of the tank and repainting it (and the tail section).

Tail/sidecovers are fibreglass (yes, not original plastic. No, I don't know why).
Tank is normal steel. Dent is very shallow, about where your knee goes (very disconcerting to ride). Will a normal car panel-beaters be able to take this out? There are are a few tiny dings on the RHS, these would have to be bogged I dare say.

So, would a normal car panel-beaters be the best option? How much would I expect them to charge? $300-400 sound about right?

ajturbo
28th January 2008, 06:21
give the bike to luke.. he will panel beat both sides free of charge

and throw in a blown engine for free also!:laugh:

Pussy
28th January 2008, 07:00
Frenchy (on this site) does a primo job of any panel beating. He has repaired two tanks of bikes that I have been involved in repairing, and another for a mate of mine. VERY tidy work

xwhatsit
28th January 2008, 13:17
Just fill it full of bog and make it a plug for a glass tank :yes:

Hahaha yes, I thought about doing this. However I do need some kind of figure to give the guy. If he does pay privately then I can do what I like with the money. Wonder how cheaply one can manufacture a RC166 replica tank/seat?

FilthyLuka
28th January 2008, 20:14
okay, from reflections (these guys are the nuts BTW, really good quality)

for all the work (strip, bog paint) you are looking at:

$300 for a tank
$100 per side cover

no idea about the tail section, i would assume about $200-250

its not cheap, but man do they know their shit.

xwhatsit
28th January 2008, 21:19
I spoke to the guy on the phone today. He was mean and nasty :(

Anyway, I told him approximate figures for fixing the tank up, 'bout $300-400 I told him. He asked me why so expensive -- they're not stripping it all the way back and repainting it, are they? I said yeah -- what's wrong with that? He told me `oh well if I'm paying for it they won't be doing that -- some bog and touch-up paint is all that's needed I'm sure'. Arsefucker. Not overjoyed with that offer, to be honest.

Squiggles
29th January 2008, 09:26
if he gets pissy just insurance it, else why bother with insurance?