PDA

View Full Version : Rental in Boston, MA - USA

zaq
28th January 2008, 10:32
Have you ever rented a motorcycle in the USA?

I'll be there for a few weeks in July/Aug, and wanted to rent a bike for about a week. My planned route of about 3500kms starts and finishes in Boston, Massachusetts.

I want to try 1200 Sporty, but to be honest, I'll settle for anything relatively comfy with a big relaxed enough engine (so I don't have to wind it all the way up for the whole trip).

A bit of Googling brings up:
www.eaglerider.com, who do Hondas and BMW's as well
www.sheldons-rentals.com - which is Harley's rental operator near Boston

Any tips, suggestions and advice will be much appreciated!

Cheers n Ride Safe,
ZAQ

WanderBird
31st January 2008, 17:30
Hi Zaq
Can't help you with the motorbike bit, but was in Boston a few months back and loved it! Real old world charm stuff. I envy you riding those roads.....

Macktheknife
31st January 2008, 17:39
Hi Zaq,
I looked into renting a bike for my trip over there this year, what I found was it is cheaper to buy and sell on than it is to rent. Hell, I could ride the bike into the ocean at the end of my tour and still be better off than renting!
But I am going for longer than you, so it will be different, but it might pay to have a look around anyway.

Enjoy your trip and best of luck.
Mack

Bollicks
1st February 2008, 13:38
Yep, it isn't cheap. I was engineer on a superyacht owned by a Boston businessman so we used to spend summers based up there. Lucky you want to rent a Harley as thats about all they have, the insurance premiums are crippling as well as the rental. Awesome cruising though once you get of the beaten track.
Have a good one.

vfxdog
1st February 2008, 19:39
Not sure what their coverage is like on the East Coast, but I've had very good experiences with Cruise America (www.cruiseamerica.com). They don't actively promote the bike rental side but a couple of times recently I've got a good deal on either a newish VFR800 (Interceptor) or Gold Wing from them with lots of smiles and no hassles.

If you get to Newport, Rhode Island, ask around for Hamish- he's a cool Kiwi guy who knows everything and everyone there.

zaq
22nd February 2008, 17:29
Thanks for your replies!

I'll look up Hamish if I do go to Rhode Island... it's on my "ideal" route... which I'm yet to finalise (the more places I think of visiting, the lighter my wallet feels!!)

The rentals do look a little thin around Boston (where I'm going to be anywhere)... heaps in California.

Ride safe,
Zaq