PDA

View Full Version : Turning an AX100 into a bucket

Skunk
28th January 2008, 19:30
As many of you know (and have donated parts, advice and 'other comments') I have been building and modifying an AX100 into a reasonable bucket. (Rider may improve over time :wacko:)

This thread is just to show the development of said bike. Thanks to the following for the donations and advice:
AJturbo (KB)
Bayden
Boyle Kawasaki
Bungbung (KB)
dhunt (KB)
F5 Dave (KB)
Ivan (KB)
Saxet (KB)
Speedpro (KB)
Pete Sales Motorcycles
Pickle (KB)

and mostly Skunk Control

Standard AX 100 Specs
Engine : 2-stroke, 1 cylinder, air-cooled
Piston Displacement : 98cc
Bore x Stroke : 50.0x50.0mm
Compression ratio : 6.6:1
Maximum power : 7.5ps/5,800 rpm
Maximum torque : 0.99kg.m/6,500rpm
Starter system : Primary kick
Transmission : 4 speed
Dry mass : 82kg
Suspension Front : Telescopic, oil damped
Suspension Rear : Swingarm, oil damped
Brakes Front : Drum
Brakes Rear : Drum
Tyres Front : 2.50-18
Tyres Rear : 2.50-18
Fuel tank : 12.0L

Pics:
1. Purchased in Feb 2006 the bike cost $100 (actually it was two for $200 and the other one was better - it ran!) This is as it was when I wheeled it into the garage. Let the mods begin (with no money)

2. Stripped everything I didn't need off the bike. Cleaned the carb, changed the oils, lubed the bearings etc. Got it running and added some stickers. First race at Kaitoke in the rain. Couldn't quite get past Ivan on the CBR150 under brakes. Decided that would be the first mod.

3. Bye-bye front drum brake; hello RG50 forks and CB125 front wheel. Now I can stop. Got these from a friend of mine.

4. Same thing as 3. Just shows you more of the back yard. Built that wall myself...

5. New rear wheel. Why? Because it was a Kawasaki one.

6. The chamber off a TZR250. Helped a bit.

Skunk
28th January 2008, 19:31
Next up:
1. Rebuilt engine and gearbox. Lasted a few laps. Too lean, wrong porting. Sent it to Pete Sales who did his 'magic' including port shaping, reeds, jetting, machining squish into the head and dyno tuning.

2. Most recent pic of it at Taupo Road Race Spectacular. New front disc, 17" wheels. Emulators in the now CB125 forks.

Current AX 100 Specs
Engine : 2-stroke, 1 cylinder, air-cooled
Piston Displacement : 98cc
Bore x Stroke : 50.0 x 50.0mm
Compression ratio : 15:1
Maximum power : ?/10,500 rpm
Maximum torque : ?/?rpm
Starter system : Push
Transmission : 4 speed
Dry mass : ?kg
Suspension Front : Telescopic, oil damped via emulators
Suspension Rear : Swingarm, oil damped single shock
Brakes Front : 300mm Single Disc, sliding single pot caliper
Brakes Rear : Drum
Tyres Front : 90/80 17
Tyres Rear : 90/90 17
Fuel tank : 12.0L

3. (If there was one) The new paint job and mono-shock rear. No longer is it an AX100. It's now an AX1R!

Skunk
28th January 2008, 19:31
Now to do it all to a new AX100... :shutup:

This one will be offered to another member who has named it 'Pamela'. I call it 'Blue Poo'

gav
28th January 2008, 20:28
As many of you know (and have donated parts, advice and 'other comments') I have been building and modifying an AX100 into a reasonable bucket.

So, have you got there yet? :whistle:

Skunk
28th January 2008, 20:33
Close now... bastard :lol:

diesel pig
28th January 2008, 20:36
So does have the 4-speed box still?

speedpro
28th January 2008, 20:39
you have to find a decent gearbox to put in these things, really.

diesel pig
28th January 2008, 20:53
thats what I mean, is hotting up the motor with just a 4-speed box a good idea?
GP100's have 5-speed boxes but with there strange gear ratios they are very hard to ride with hotted up motors, so a 4-speed box it would be even worse I imagine.

nudemetalz
28th January 2008, 20:58
Just be 4-speeds and lotsa clutch slip :eek:

gav
28th January 2008, 20:59
Would a six speed TF100 bottom end fit? Only thing is the TF's seem to be getting rarer than MB5 boxes, OK, maybe I exaggerate slightly :rolleyes: but if you're paying The Man to do porting etc are you really going to get the benefit of his touch, with only the four on da floor ?

Skunk
28th January 2008, 21:06
So does have the 4-speed box still?Yep. :(

you have to find a decent gearbox to put in these things, really.I wish. :pinch: I've been told it's one-of-a-kind-design type of motor. It you know different let me know what box will fit!

thats what I mean, is hotting up the motor with just a 4-speed box a good idea?
GP100's have 5-speed boxes but with there strange gear ratios they are very hard to ride with hotted up motors, so a 4-speed box it would be even worse I imagine.

I had thought about going to the GP100 engine. The only reason for staying with the AX100 donk was because that's the way it happened. Not planned or anything. Every plan I've had has come up to a 'big expense' wall and ground to a halt. TF125, KE125, RX125, MB100 - all planned and none have happened.

I'm not planning on modifying the engine any further. If something comes along though I'll see how it goes. :rolleyes:

Buddha#81
28th January 2008, 21:41
CVT trans.....then it would ALWAYS be in the power:drool::scooter:

Skunk
29th January 2008, 07:58
Would a six speed TF100 bottom end fit? Only thing is the TF's seem to be getting rarer than MB5 boxes, OK, maybe I exaggerate slightly :rolleyes: but if you're paying The Man to do porting etc are you really going to get the benefit of his touch, with only the four on da floor ?
The work he did was meant to be just to get it running right. Someone had 'had a go' at porting it but only stuffed it up. Pete fixed it as best he could without costing much while keeping in mind the four speed box. He's done a good job I think.

As to matching the barrel up to another case, if I could find one that fits at a reasonable price... I have a TF125 (5 speed) but that doesn't match up. How different is the TF100?

Slingshot
29th January 2008, 16:10
I have a TF125 (5 speed) but that doesn't match up. How different is the TF100?

Have you got the head? I wonder if it would fit the GP100 barrel is the barrel was bored out a bit.

Trudes
29th January 2008, 16:51
Please stop calling Pamela Blue Poo, even slappers have feelings (I think):yes:
Can't wait to meet her BTW.

Skunk
29th January 2008, 18:04
Have you got the head? I wonder if it would fit the GP100 barrel is the barrel was bored out a bit.Yep. You can borrow it. I have plans that may change...

Please stop calling Pamela Blue Poo, even slappers have feelings (I think):yes:
Can't wait to meet her BTW.Make me. :girlfight:

Slingshot
29th January 2008, 18:48
Yep. You can borrow it. I have plans that may change...

Sweet, more than anything I'm interested to know if the stud holes line up. I might have to come round soon and spend some time in SkunkWorks.

Kendog
1st February 2008, 06:12
I think I can live with a bit of Pamela on the side :devil2:

Skunk
2nd February 2008, 19:23
Here we are at progress so far... Still needs the graphics.

Current specs:
87 Yamaha TZR250 chamber,
Ported barrel (189° exhaust, 32mm EPD (Pete Sales Motorcycles)),
Carbon fibre reeds,
Kawasaki KR250A 28mm flatslide carb,
300mm front disc (Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory special),
RG50 caliper (Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory mounting plate),
Honda CB125T forks with RaceTech emulators fitted (Robert Taylor),
17" wire wheels,
Rearsets (Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory specials).

Trudes
2nd February 2008, 19:26
It's so much cooler in the flesh!!:cool:

Sketchy_Racer
3rd February 2008, 19:36
looking nice Skunk!

(although my green is better muhahah)

Skunk
3rd February 2008, 19:41
Discovered a leak under the paint on the tank today... :(
Must have happened when I sanded the tank.
What's the stuff you put in the tank to seal it? Can't remember the name.

gav
3rd February 2008, 20:37
Kreem, think its a two part (maybe 3) mix?

ajturbo
4th February 2008, 06:09
weld it like you usally do!

Skunk
10th February 2008, 17:11
Soldered it up. With a soldering iron no less.

Seems OK holding back a full tank of gas. Repainted it so we'll see.

richiewendt
15th February 2008, 23:37
Just for interest sake, how much of an improvement was the suspension mod on the arse end? Really noticeable in a good way??

Skunk
16th February 2008, 06:01
I'll let you know - our season starts on the 2nd March so it hasn't been tested.
Apart from that I did it because I could, not because of any 'real' need. I could have just changed the rear shocks but this was more fun.

richiewendt
17th February 2008, 22:22
Fair enough! Plus, even if it doesn't make a difference in the handling department, it looks cool!!! Definately got the bragging power at the bucket events...

Skunk
18th February 2008, 22:07
Crappy image of the new paint scheme with the graphics.

quallman1234
19th February 2008, 09:27
Crappy image of the new paint scheme with the graphics.

Sidecover!!! Looks mint as.

Trudes
19th February 2008, 12:05
Sidecover!!! Looks mint as.

:weep:, that Pamela is a giving bitch, lol. The only part of her that was useful, typical woman eh Skunk.

Skunk
19th February 2008, 13:48
Hey! That's AX1R's original... AJ's still got the new one.

Trudes
19th February 2008, 18:25
hehe, oh, that and my shit too, nagged him about it this morning, apparently he was too busy spying in my windows!!

koba
4th March 2008, 09:49
So what is the verdict on the monoshock?
Had enough of a go to judge the effect of it yet?

Skunk
4th March 2008, 17:56
So what is the verdict on the monoshock?
Had enough of a go to judge the effect of it yet?
Seems OK. Going to rip it out and see if Gav's one will work now. Have to compare spring rates etc and then modify the frame.

T'was better than the twin shocks I had (not because it's a mono, just because the rate is better).

Skunk
13th April 2008, 21:36
The fully adjustable shock has not yet had it's first outing due to the owners shortage of cash. (No amount of money will buy two stroke oil on a Sunday morning...Doh!) So I took the ZX1R to the track for it's shakedown run.

Since then I have started repositioning the foot pegs as they are too high (as many have said). It's not that I wasn't listening, it's just I couldn't be bothered.

Now, however, I can pass the old brackets to Kendog for his bucket so I feel the need to pull finger.

Also to be fitted is the new 2.15 rear rim. Current setup is a 1.85 front and a 1.4 rear! No, the handling was not great.

Skunk
20th April 2008, 21:11
Didn't get the hubs in time so it was off to the meeting with the shit rear tyre and small rim again.

I did do the foot pegs and found it much better. I didn't notice the rear shock so it must have been doing it's thing well.

And I found the missing two stroke oil. I could have raced it last month after all. Doh-Doh!

koba
21st April 2008, 15:27
Good call on movin the pegs, ergonomics seems to be one of the more important aspects of bucket building aye. Some bike while right for their owners can be crippling to ride, I thought matts bucket was real good but unfortunatley just couldn't phisically stay on it for long due to cramp!
Gonna be interesting getting it sorted when (if ever!) I get off my arse and get one built, coz I really don't sit well on most of the ones out there...

Str8 Jacket
21st April 2008, 15:29
Good call on movin the pegs, ergonomics seems to be one of the more important aspects of bucket building aye. Some bike while right for their owners can be crippling to ride, I thought matts bucket was real good but unfortunatley just couldn't phisically stay on it for long due to cramp!
Gonna be interesting getting it sorted when (if ever!) I get off my arse and get one built, coz I really don't sit well on most of the ones out there...

JTFC, HTFU!

Trudes
21st April 2008, 18:55

You should have a go on Pamela, she's built for comfort....

koba
21st April 2008, 18:58
You should have a go on Pamela, she's built for comfort....

Sound like fun, she does seem to be the town bike... :scooter:

Your welcome to try the pitty too, if you dare....

ajturbo
21st April 2008, 19:04
sorry i wasn't very chatty yesterday...
i was a little quiet... due to the fact i was up untill 4.30am getting luke's bike going....

koba
21st April 2008, 19:11
i was a little quiet... due to the fact i was up untill 4.30am getting luke's bike going....

No worries buddy, I thought you were just ashamed at being owned by a scooter when you had over a litre advantage.... ;)

Kendog
21st April 2008, 19:34
No worries buddy, I thought you were just ashamed at being owned by a scooter when you had over a litre advantage.... ;)

And there is a photo of that :laugh:

Str8 Jacket
21st April 2008, 19:42
Nice to see that you two bitches have been trained well! ;)

ajturbo
21st April 2008, 20:40
hahahahah... yer i saw him coming... but i was certain i was going to make the pits before he passed.....

i put it down to ...

me

Skunk
21st April 2008, 22:03
You should have a go on Pamela, she's built for comfort....Yah, I tried her once. Fuck knows what the idiot who suggested all that to you was thinking. I sure wouldn't be talking to him any more.

Your welcome to try the pitty too, if you dare....I have standards and they are low. But not that low.

Slingshot
24th April 2008, 19:16

That seems to be a regular occurrence, either that...or fixing up shit at the track that should have been done before hand.

Bloody Gen Zers (assuming he's to young to be Gen Y) :nono:

Skunk
28th May 2008, 22:44
An update.

The AX1R developed a miss at the last race meeting. The meeting was supposed to be a shakedown to make sure all was well with it and get some tuning on the ZX1R done.

Instead it was missing from half way up the rev range and up. Slowly pulled the thing apart starting at the top and working my way down. I should've started at the bottom and worked up it turns out.

It was the stator. I've sent mine to be rewound but it's not looking good - no wire in stock or manufactured anymore.

Yes F5 Dave, you were right but I started at the easiest and cheapest... Doh!

Slingshot
29th May 2008, 22:17
It was the stator. I've sent mine to be rewound but it's not looking good - no wire in stock or manufactured anymore.

Does this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Engine-drive-train/auction-157594067.htm) look anything like what you need?

Skunk
29th May 2008, 22:30
Nah, looks like this (the black one - the other is the lighting) but focused and with good colour...

Buddha#81
29th May 2008, 23:06
Nah, looks like this (the black one - the other is the lighting) but focused and with good colour...

Can it be converted to total loss and run a battery?

Skunk
30th May 2008, 09:06
Huh? I wouldn't know... There's no points or anything so how would it pick up the timing?

I guess you mean to replace the whole lot with 'something else'™.

Could be done but do not right now. It's running (I hope) and I have a trailer to modify.

Skunk
3rd June 2008, 22:02
J Halsey Rewinds Ltd have done a great job of rebuilding the stator. I'll be taking it to Chch as a spare.

If you need rewinding:
J Hasley Rewinds Ltd
65C Hattaway Ave, Bucklands Beach
Manukau
09 534-4161

stanko
4th June 2008, 06:43
There will be a spare AX100 motor at the BOB so be not too worrying. Can buy it if you want.

Skunk
4th June 2008, 08:35
There will be a spare AX100 motor at the BOB so be not too worrying. Can buy it if you want.
Thanks but no thanks. I have several already... :lol:

After the poor showing at the Battle of the Buckets the AX1R has had the carb drilled to allow more fuel in. Hopefully this will cure the issue. Won't really know until Taupo...

ajturbo
15th June 2008, 20:12
Thanks but no thanks. I have several already... :lol:

After the poor showing at the Battle of the Buckets the AX1R has had the carb drilled to allow more fuel in. Hopefully this will cure the issue. Won't really know until Taupo...
so that 6mm drill will do the job then.....

Skunk
8th July 2008, 15:31
I designed and built a chamber. Totally stuffed it up. Peak power was delivered at 10000rpm over a very narrow band. After checking the plans to what was built it appears I cocked up the header length (too short) and the baffle (too short) which made what should have been a mildly peaky pipe very peaky.

Into the bin it goes. :lol:

Second attempt both looks better but should also give a very broad spread of power. I had been running a TZR250 pipe and this new one is fairly close to it - only several kilos lighter (about 5 or 6 at a guess). I'll have to see how the carb setup is with it now.

Skunk
4th August 2008, 22:54
The second attempt at a chamber is a bloody good one! Man, I'm stoked with it. More power, and lower down, with a great top end. I can use the power to stay ahead of riders I couldn't even catch before. (Sorry Slingshot)

Now to improve my riding.

And tweak the rear shock. More preload and firmer rebound.

F5 Dave
5th August 2008, 09:38
. . . . and you could probably fit a connector to the coil if you have the same hickery 'slide a pin into a socket' arrangement as Pamela.

"Oh but it should have some tape on it" You Muppet:laugh:

Trudes
5th August 2008, 09:45
*cackle* yeah!:Pokey::lol:

Skunk
5th August 2008, 10:22
. . . . and you could probably fit a connector to the coil if you have the same hickery 'slide a pin into a socket' arrangement as Pamela.

"Oh but it should have some tape on it" You Muppet:laugh:
No, I did mine properly. I wasn't sure how fast Trudes was gonna be so I crippled hers. Shame it took so long to fuck out...

Actually I'm sure it did have tape on it when it was built. :wacko:

F5 Dave
5th August 2008, 10:55
No, I did mine properly. . .
What? did you twist the wires together:lol:

Skunk
5th August 2008, 11:03
Ssshhh you. That trick is 'patent pending'...

Kendog
6th August 2008, 17:37
Tape is the key cause it's hard to cable tie wires together.

bungbung
7th August 2008, 10:01
Tape is the key cause it's hard to cable tie wires together.

That blue masking tape painters use is the best

Skunk
10th August 2008, 19:22
Did a little maintenance on the AX1R over the weekend. Sketchy had ridden the bike at the last meeting and pointed out that the preload and rebound needed increasing. While I was dealing to that we checked the rear wheel movement out and he pointed out the flex in the swingarm.

The swingarm is now braced. The rear end should be less vague now.

Slingshot
12th August 2008, 19:23
The swingarm is now braced. The rear end should be less vague now.

Stop improving that farken bike, as it is I can't get past you I don't need it going any faster!

Skunk
12th August 2008, 19:41
You corner better.:p

Do some measuring and we'll make a chamber for yours.

richiewendt
19th August 2008, 14:00
Make a chamber? How did the computer designed chamber experiments go skunk? Is that the one you chucked on the ax?

Skunk
19th August 2008, 17:23
Make a chamber? How did the computer designed chamber experiments go skunk? Is that the one you chucked on the ax?
Very well, eventually. First one was crap. Second one is a beauty. Helps when you build it to the specs too.

Slingshot
19th August 2008, 19:19
You corner better.:p

Do some measuring and we'll make a chamber for yours.

How much steel does it take, was talking to the old man last night and he might have some lying around that I could have. Problem is if it's to big I won't be able to get it from Masterton to here.

Skunk
19th August 2008, 23:04
How much steel does it take, was talking to the old man last night and he might have some lying around that I could have. Problem is if it's to big I won't be able to get it from Masterton to here.
I've used 0.6mm steel. How much depends on the chamber shape and size.
Size required is generally 1.2 metres by the header curve+200mm roughly.

Make sense? Thought not. I have some steel here thanks to Sully60.

F5 Dave
20th August 2008, 11:32
1/2" boiler plate should be fine & you won't have to keep repairing it if you crash into, say, one of those pesky containers out the front of the slipway
. . . Might have to strain a bit to bend it, but if it's worth doing. . .

Skunk
20th August 2008, 11:36
1/2" boiler plate should be fine & you won't have to keep repairing it if you crash into, say, one of those pesky containers out the front of the slipway
Thanks for the tip Dave. That'll help with getting a low CG too won't it? I think the TZR chamber I had was made of 1/4" plate...

F5 Dave
20th August 2008, 11:39
Nah that's old hat. We're all about mass centralisation these days so a mid pipe is in order. Will make all the peripheral inconsequential so more cutting edge than HRC.

richiewendt
20th August 2008, 15:38
What was the computer programme that you used to make the chamber? I have one, but wasnt too sure if it would work. Might be an idea for making mine, other than cutting nad welding an old RG250 chamber... just need to dig up the metal. Also I hardly know what all the numbers mean>hint hint!

Skunk
20th August 2008, 15:41
What was the computer programme that you used to make the chamber? I have one, but wasnt too sure if it would work. Might be an idea for making mine, other than cutting nad welding an old RG250 chamber... just need to dig up the metal. Also I hardly know what all the numbers mean>hint hint!
Give me a bit of time and I'll sort some info out. I'm a bit busy this weekend but we'll see what happens.

k14
20th August 2008, 17:01
. . . Might have to strain a bit to bend it, but if it's worth doing. . .
Is that what ivan recommended? The oxy torch will help with bending, pays to get the welds x-rayed too, have to make sure the penetration etc is all to spec. Maybe get them pressure tested to 30 bar too?

speedpro
20th August 2008, 22:49
1/2" boiler plate should be fine . . .

Bit of time on the fly press to work the curves in and your fitness and upper body strength will be sorted at the same time.

Skunk
1st September 2008, 09:33
No points this weekend. The tailpiece broke off the chamber after a mount broke.

A slight redesign well be commenced this week.

koba
1st September 2008, 15:38
No points this weekend. The tailpiece broke off the chamber after a mount broke.

A slight redesign well be commenced this week.

Wouldn't have broken If you had used the boiler plate....

Skunk
1st September 2008, 15:43
STFU. I still have your disc (and a new price for it?!?).

Number One
2nd September 2008, 18:38
I feel your pain bucket brother...though not quite as raw for me as it all is for you and my man given the time and effort that you both put into these machines. We really need testing opps hmm? :sunny: Next round we will rise again! mwahahahahahaaaaaaa

Skunk
5th October 2008, 16:04
A leak down test has revealed two airleak sites; one on the inlet manifold and the other on the underside/front of the crankcase. Time to split the cases...

Slingshot
5th October 2008, 16:10
A leak down test has revealed two airleak sites; one on the inlet manifold and the other on the underside/front of the crankcase. Time to split the cases...

Let me know if you want a hand, not sure that I could provide any value but I like taking motors apart <_<

Skunk
5th October 2008, 16:11
Well, I am stuck right now trying to split the cases. :doh: Doing a Google...

Slingshot
5th October 2008, 16:23
Well, I am stuck right now trying to split the cases. :doh: Doing a Google...

Rubber mallet!

Don't use screw drivers!

Skunk
5th October 2008, 16:26
Tried that. Google turned up a few clues so I'm off to try.

F5 Dave
6th October 2008, 08:30
Put it in front of a small fan heater for ½ hour so assuming you have pulled all the flywheel & clutch side off have a nice solidish thingy to rest it on that the shafts can go through. I have an old milk crate that works well.

Use the approved Suzuki case splitting tool. Haha, sorry had to say that. (Sometimes you can make a tool if there are convenient threads to tap into).

Give it a few cautionary taps on the shafts with a big heavy metal hammer but do use a hard piece of wood to protect the shafts. Ok now search for the bolts you have missed. Repeat. A never opened set of cases will take a while to give up, just go around tapping the cases where it is safe & the shafts where you can’t.

bungbung
6th October 2008, 10:44
Ok now search for the bolts you have missed

This is the number one cause of temper tantrums

Skunk
6th October 2008, 11:11
I got them apart. Even removed the clutch basket...

All the bolts and screws that hold it together are on the left side (as it turns out). The one that was giving me trouble was the one under the neutral switch. Remove the three small screws holding the cover, remove the switch, then remove the countersunk screw holding the two halves of the engine together. :doh:

F5 Dave
6th October 2008, 13:54
. .
Give it a few cautionary taps on the shafts with a big heavy metal hammer but do use a hard piece of wood to protect the shafts. Ok now search for the bolts you have missed. . . .

:laugh: yeah that won't be the first time that sort of thing has happened, or the last. -the cautionary taps are to let it know you mean business.

Skunk
28th October 2008, 21:34
Well, the AX engine goes better and has a new (old) tailpiece (I've modified the frame a little to suit the tail). Saved another few grams of weight :lol:
Pity the clutch wasn't set up right and couldn't handle all the power... Fixed all that now. Should be more controllable too. The clutch would be slipping up to the point where you back off for the corner. Then it would engage and fire the bike forward - just as you're expecting it to slow down as you reach for the brakes. Interesting :wacko:

Slingshot
28th October 2008, 21:38
What did you end up using to seal the crank cases? And what oil are you using?

Skunk
28th October 2008, 21:46
Something Boyles recommended. Standard spec for Kawasaki two strokes. I find out tomorrow and let you know.
Oil is Motul transoil (the top spec one) but I'm going to change back to the lower spec. I'll post the name tomorrow. My brain is fuzzy for some reason right now.

Skunk
3rd November 2008, 19:09
Ahh yes, Slingshot. The 'glue' is Threebond 1104. The oil is Motul Transoil Expert. I think I'll go back to the standard Motul Transoil though. Engine oil is Motul 800.

Slingshot
3rd November 2008, 19:35
About bloody time!!!

You mean there's gearbox oil & engine oil?

Skunk
3rd November 2008, 20:11
About bloody time!!!
I'm only as quick as I race you know.

And yes, premix and gearbox.

Skunk
14th April 2009, 18:03
Well, after the Scooterazzi Two Day Bucket Meet the engine is in need of a freshen up. The reeds don't close, the piston is scuffed and the bore a little glazed. Nothing serious, but it'll run better with a little work.
I have some work ahead of me before the next points round.

rcpboy
15th April 2009, 10:47
looking at getting a bucket, is the ax100 any good as a starting bike? there is one here in auck for 250 with an RX front end (it's on tardme). seems ok as a point to start with to haul me around.

i have an rg250 road bike, amongst others, and quite like suzuki two strokes;

i don;t want to spend heaps; just want to play to start with.

cheers
andrew

Skunk
15th April 2009, 11:53
I always say no - it's not good. 4 speed box. It's OK as long as you get it cheap and you don't plan to modify the engine. Plan on replacing the engine with something else. I have a peaky AX100 engine here for sale but it's not really worth what it's worth (if you know what I mean...)

rcpboy
15th April 2009, 14:17
ok; but what would be a good bike to start with? not fussed on 2 or 4 stroke; but not interested in spending more than a few hundred to get started; even if it is slow.

the ax looks ok; but it's old. they only want 250 bucks for it, which seems reasonable.

quallman1234
15th April 2009, 14:44
ok; but what would be a good bike to start with? not fussed on 2 or 4 stroke; but not interested in spending more than a few hundred to get started; even if it is slow.

the ax looks ok; but it's old. they only want 250 bucks for it, which seems reasonable.

I hear there is quite a bit of work to do too that, someone checked it out the other day.

Trudes
15th April 2009, 15:51

It does seem reasonable, but I would guess you'd have to spend twice that to get the thing to a point where you'd be happy riding it. You can always buy mine.:whistle:

rcpboy
15th April 2009, 15:55
ok; so what are you flogging off?

i'm heading to the races in Auckland on sunday to watch and meet people; if that helps.

Trudes
15th April 2009, 16:02
Well I'm in Wellington, so no help there. But I have an AX100 bucket (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=66282&highlight=Pamela)that goes and is race ready (well, apart from some repairs that I haven't had time to do yet, small job, swapping a front wheel) It's a good starter bucket. There's a lot of info in that thread, but this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1841352&postcount=307) post shows you what she looks like now.

rcpboy
15th April 2009, 17:27
cool; what would something like pamela set me back? just trying to get a feel for how much to spend.

i'm going to have a look at the ax100 on tardme on saturday, and then see what's out at the races on saturday.

i used to have a gt125, but killed that (blew a big end). would have been ideal i suppose. went to the islands i think for a second, and probably very short life.

righto.

rcpboy
15th April 2009, 20:24
thanks trudi; got the pm - not enough posts to respond to you though through PM. will be in touch; looking at a gl145 at the moment.

Trudes
15th April 2009, 21:05
Cool dude, offer's there, and we can probably sort getting her up there to you if you decide to go with The Pamela!:D

rcpboy
15th April 2009, 21:11
cool; actually keen; - the GL is in bits; and is a stock bike - so it could be an absolute 'mare. will talk with bike tranz tomorrow re costs to auckland; what does the front wheel need doing?

Trudes
15th April 2009, 21:34
Need to change the tyre to a different rim and make a mount for the caliper, not a huge job, got all the bits to do it, just haven't had the time.
Either bike transit or some kind KBers with spare van/trailer space going between Welly and Auckland. In fact I may know a couple of people doing that trip this weekend.....
(sorry for taking over your thread Skunk, just get Nasty to bin all this when we're done if you like!)

Skunk
15th April 2009, 22:21
:mad::angry: :and all that: :laugh:

Trudes
16th April 2009, 08:42
We now have PM ability, so feel free to dump my sales pitch now if you like!! :)

Mrs Headroom
18th April 2009, 19:48
It does seem reasonable, but I would guess you'd have to spend twice that to get the thing to a point where you'd be happy riding it. You can always buy mine.:whistle:

Hi Trudes, Is your bike still for sale? Can you send me a pm and advise price as I am too new to send you a pm
Cheers

Skunk
18th April 2009, 20:15
Doing a bit of work on the AX1R to make it more rideable with a better spread of power etc. Been seriously looking at ways to get more gears in the thing.

What are the rules regarding, say YZ gearbox internals in an AX100 case? Would that be 'legal'?

Pumba
18th April 2009, 21:51
What are the rules regarding, say YZ gearbox internals in an AX100 case? Would that be 'legal'?

YZ I would have thought would be a motor cross bike (forgive if I am wrong not the best with puddle jumpers model codes and such)

If it is then No. I qoute,

.....Motocross, Road Racing, Enduro and Go Kart motors and transmission parts are not permitted......

as found here (http://www.motorcyclingnz.co.nz/download/Chapter_24_Miniature_Road_Racing.pdf)

quallman1234
18th April 2009, 22:57
Doing a bit of work on the AX1R to make it more rideable with a better spread of power etc. Been seriously looking at ways to get more gears in the thing.

Now that sounds interesting!.
But you have spare barrels. Start again? Set it up to give it a better spread of power (obviously losing out on top end).
Then again even with a good spread of power, the AX's gearbox still suck shit.

Skunk
18th April 2009, 22:57
Cheers mate, I knew someone would look it up for me :laugh: Gave me more time with the tuning aspect.

Yow Ling
19th April 2009, 10:06
I think its only Illegal if sombody protests and you get caught. could always just get a better motor and start again

Does Wellington Massif buckets run under MNZ rules?

Skunk
19th April 2009, 11:27
Does Wellington Massif buckets run under MNZ rules?
Yep, we do. We tend to run A and B grade rather than F4 and F5 and it's split on rider speed. What classes are you guys running this year? Proddie and Super?

Yow Ling
19th April 2009, 13:31
I think thats it, I leave the squabbling to the experts. I think the split seems to get a similar result. I think this year we wernt having all the sub classes womens, special needs, pensioner class etc, but the power has shifted again so its anybodys guess

Skunk
19th April 2009, 19:07
Well, I found a way to get a six speed box into the AX1R. Sort of.
Pour the contents of a six speed box into an AX100 case. This isn't useable, but it doesn't seem to fit any other way. :(

koba
19th April 2009, 21:59
Well, I found a way to get a six speed box into the AX1R. Sort of.
Pour the contents of a six speed box into an AX100 case. This isn't useable, but it doesn't seem to fit any other way. :(

What 'boxes have you looked at?

Skunk
19th April 2009, 22:14
The issue is the internal width of the AX100 gearbox. The gear shafts from a five or six speed are just too long. Some motorcross stuff looks like it will fit (such as YZ125) but that's not legal.

I (OK, Skunkworks Chief Mechanic) found that the TF output shaft is the right diameter and various bits will go in but it's 20-30mm too long. He also found that the old engine had a stuffed clutch basket.

But I have a plan that might work I think... we'll find out next meeting, if I get it together in time. Otherwise it'll be the old AX100 again.

koba
19th April 2009, 22:17
Cool, can't wait to see what you come up with!

quallman1234
19th April 2009, 22:25
Could you trim a gearbox down a bit, and possibly make it fit?

Skunk
19th April 2009, 22:40
Yep. It'll only be a four speed but it'll fit then.

Skunk
28th April 2009, 20:34
I need help.

Yes, you knew that. But anyway, what does a TF125 ignition system look like (flywheel and stator), where is the timing mark and do you have the part numbers?

I have a box of bits that may, or may not, be the right bits (yay for TradeMe!)

saxet
28th April 2009, 20:41

I'm goin thru the same thing. My gp shares strong similarities with other engines but I havn't come up with any thing that is workable yet .

quallman1234
28th April 2009, 21:21
I need help.

Yes, you knew that. But anyway, what does a TF125 ignition system look like (flywheel and stator), where is the timing mark and do you have the part numbers?

I have a box of bits that may, or may not, be the right bits (yay for TradeMe!)

PM Sent. 10 char

Skunk
28th April 2009, 22:07
PM Sent. 10 char
Cheers Quallman!

TZ350
28th April 2009, 22:29
I think thats it, I leave the squabbling to the experts. I think the split seems to get a similar result. I think this year we wernt having all the sub classes womens, special needs, pensioner class etc, but the power has shifted again so its anybodys guess

What no pensioner class, where am I going to fit in then??? Ooooo ok special needs will do.

Skunk
28th April 2009, 22:35
WOoooo ok special needs will do.
Hey, that's my spot!

Skunk
15th August 2009, 18:41
I've done a little tinker on the forks.
I took it to the Motormart day with Robert Taylor and he suggested a couple of things. I've done one - to the forks. The other is the adjust the swingarm length - which I haven't had time for.

The bleed hole in the damper rod is now only 1.5mm in diameter. This is to improve the rebound control.

The swingarm he suggested I lengthen to increase feel from the front end. Either that or cut the frame to adjust the steering head angle. I haven't decided which to do yet.

ajturbo
15th August 2009, 20:54
i've done a little tinker on the forks.
I took it to the motormart day with robert taylor and he suggested a couple of things. I've done one - to the forks. The other is the adjust the swingarm length - which i haven't had time for.

The bleed hole in the damper rod is now only 1.5mm in diameter. This is to improve the rebound control.

The swingarm he suggested i lengthen to increase feel from the front end. Either that or cut the frame to adjust the steering head angle. I haven't decided which to do yet.
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut

koba
15th August 2009, 23:29
I've done a little tinker on the forks.
I took it to the Motormart day with Robert Taylor and he suggested a couple of things. I've done one - to the forks. The other is the adjust the swingarm length - which I haven't had time for.

The swingarm he suggested I lengthen to increase feel from the front end. Either that or cut the frame to adjust the steering head angle. I haven't decided which to do yet.

cut
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut
cut

Isn't that what made Christine so unforgiving?

ajturbo
16th August 2009, 07:33
Isn't that what made Christine so unforgiving?
she wasn't forgiving... she was plain BAD....

errr .... yes

but who in their right mind would weld a new front end on a bucket with a 16'' front wheel... and out of lineament ?.. that's right DREW!!! but it was fun, i never fell off her...

koba
16th August 2009, 10:16
she wasn't forgiving... she was plain BAD....

errr .... yes

but who in their right mind would weld a new front end on a bucket with a 16'' front wheel... and out of lineament ?.. that's right DREW!!! but it was fun, i never fell off her...

Niether actually but it was funny as watching others, I remember Deano being like WTF?! when she bit him.

ajturbo
16th August 2009, 14:07
best present DeanO ever got eh!!!

Skunk
16th August 2009, 20:00
OK, unusually for me, I crashed the weekend. My setup of the forks was not quite right with the rebound being a bit too slow.

I brake for the corner (forks are compressed), start coming off the brakes and turning in. At this point the forks are starting to rebound, but too slowly, and the front wheel is gone. No warning at all.

I'm going to enlarge the rebound bleed hole by 20% (diameter) and see how that is.

Oh, damage to me: two swollen knees and a bruised thumb.
Damage to the bike: Dented tank, bent footpeg and blue leather marks on the tail section (from my boots). Quite a bit of mud.

Busy week this week with the Vic Club round Friday and Saturday and a Bucket points races Sunday. Now I have a bike to fix as well.

Good news is I didn't find this fault at the points round... :laugh:

BOGAN02
31st August 2009, 12:17
I recently brought a ax100 off a mate for a cheap $70. It had been sitting in his shed for a few years as he had tried "rewiring" it. But well..... its now missing god knows what. I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on what i need and can do to get this bike going again. Cause no matter where i looked on the net this is the only place i could find that has any decent info. if you need to look at the bike ive got a few pics i could send. Cheers

Skunk
31st August 2009, 13:44
I recently brought a ax100 off a mate for a cheap $70. It had been sitting in his shed for a few years as he had tried "rewiring" it. But well..... its now missing god knows what. I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice on what i need and can do to get this bike going again. Cause no matter where i looked on the net this is the only place i could find that has any decent info. if you need to look at the bike ive got a few pics i could send. Cheers
If you just want it running and not worried about the road stuff you need one wire - the black with red trace. That goes to an 'on/off' switch and then to the coil. The coil has a built in 'CDI' and must have a good earth on it's mounting screws. Engine itself must have a good earth too.

BOGAN02
2nd September 2009, 12:11
Cool thanks for the quick reply. I have now tried hooking up the black/red wire and im getting nothing. the black/red wire goes to the top of the small black coil.(which i was told was the lighting? coil) the bike wants to go i can feel it. but alas not yet. hahaha. i think that the coils inside the magneto may be on the fritz. Do you or anyone else here have a spare one i could buy? i also need the side covers. Also just for my info. Is the coil in the 1st pic the same as yours or just another mismatched piece? haha cheers

Skunk
2nd September 2009, 12:40
I don't have any AX engine parts anymore. Mudflaps on here might... he has Trudes old AX bucket. I told him the side covers are GOLD (very hard to find) but I don't think he's using them.

That coil is correct looking at it.

BOGAN02
8th September 2009, 00:27
Well ive tried the black/red wire and every other wire that comes out of the magneto. and still have no spark. I have even replaced the coils from inside the magneto to no avail. im just bout at my wits end tryna get this bloody thing going. could it be a problem with the internal cdi?

Skunk
8th September 2009, 07:23
Have got a multimeter? Set it to AC and measure the volts on the Black/red wire when you kick it over. It should read up to 100 volts (might only flicker 20 or so if the multimeter is digital). That'll tell you which end isn't working at least...

BOGAN02
9th September 2009, 14:45
since im having such problems with this motor is there any engine you can recomend to swap it with? anyone willing to donate a motor? hahahaha. ive just gone out to the garage with a mates multimeter and im getting a diffenit pulse from the magneto. so i think it may be the coil.:wacko::oi-grr::weird:

Skunk
9th September 2009, 20:46
It's about $80 to get one rewound at Hasley Rewinds in Auckland. I got mine done there. The only other engine I know will fit is the TF125 but it needs the frame modified at the bottom mount and the other two adjusted with spacers and a hammer.

BOGAN02
11th September 2009, 14:08
Well ive got a wee bit of a pulse out of the motor. (mate was holding wires to the point on the multimeter and got a zap). hahaha. now im lead to believe the the coil thats ment to provide the spark is doing the oppisite, absolutly f*^%ing nothing, ummm is there a coil off any other suzuki i could use? I talked to the parts guy at moto gp, id be better asking the mrs!! but he did say i might be able to use coils off a 80cc? and then bobarded me with usless info. :tugger::clap:

Skunk
11th September 2009, 16:41
RG50 works. I would guess any Suzuki coil with a built in 'CDI' would work. I haven't got any spares though. Try the electrical forum here as someone might have a better answer.

Skunk
13th September 2009, 18:33
Some pics of the AX1R currently.

DELLORTO
13th September 2009, 18:36

that looks very very nice, best looking 2 stroke bucket ive seen

mossy1200
13th September 2009, 18:40

Nice.I need to start building one but Im at rg 250 fibre fairings so far.LOL
Mine could be 10 year project at this pace.Need to find a bike for the fairings perhaps would be the next step.

Pumba
13th September 2009, 18:44
Nice, where did you steel the fairing off?

Skunk
13th September 2009, 19:09
Found a young kid wandering around with them a year ago at Taupo. Pushed him around a bit and he gave them to me.

Ex Ken Jones TZ125.

that looks very very nice, best looking 2 stroke bucket ive seen
The pics are just low enough quality then...

Nice.I need to start building one but Im at rg 250 fibre fairings so far.LOL
Mine could be 10 year project at this pace.Need to find a bike for the fairings perhaps would be the next step.RG250's make good frames (depending on model). Pull ya finger out and get on with it!

mossy1200
13th September 2009, 19:14
RG250's make good frames (depending on model). Pull ya finger out and get on with it!
Silly thing is i had a rg250f roller frame with shocks and sold it before i got the fairings.Im so slack.I keep spending more than a bucket project build on individual posty bling bits.My priorities are screwed up.

Trudes
13th September 2009, 19:22
Lookin sweet Skunky!! :niceone:

Kendog
13th September 2009, 19:27

It looks fast :2thumbsup

Pumba
13th September 2009, 19:29
It looks fast :2thumbsup

And at the end of the day as long as it LOOKS fast that is all that matters

bucketracer
13th September 2009, 19:41
Looks good Skunk.

Skunk
13th September 2009, 19:46
Cheers Everyone. I know I'll be getting shit at the track though.

It's got pinstripes as well now. Sometimes I just can't stop myself.

F5 Dave
14th September 2009, 09:32
hmm, yes that has the unmistakable look of a P.Sales pipe to it.

Hello A grade.

Trudes
14th September 2009, 09:53
I reckon!! That bucket is wayyyyy too flash for B grade!! (And the rider has improved so much that B grade is a bit of a walk in the park too! Especially if you win B grade you HAVE to go up to A grade.... it's the unwritten rule! :laugh:)

F5 Dave
14th September 2009, 10:09
I think he's aware that he will be bumped as a matter of course. If that engine gets the rest of the PS treatment he will be hole-shoting A grade.

jasonu
14th September 2009, 10:54

What does it weigh? How much HP?

Skunk
14th September 2009, 11:07
hmm, yes that has the unmistakable look of a P.Sales pipe to it.

Hello A grade.It's a Sketchy pipe actually...

I reckon!! That bucket is wayyyyy too flash for B grade!! (And the rider has improved so much that B grade is a bit of a walk in the park too! Especially if you win B grade you HAVE to go up to A grade.... it's the unwritten rule! :laugh:)Yes, I know. I felt too slow in A grade last year so moved back. It's A grade next year...

What does it weigh? How much HP?Last weighed at 82kgs. Horsepower is unknown - the engine is only tidied at this stage. Aiming at torque not peak power.

F5 Dave
14th September 2009, 11:47
Ahh, actually thinking about it Pete's pipes are Gas welded, what a dork I am. Still the bent metal bracing at the diffuser to stinger join is how he does his.

Pity as Pete had a great design for the TS engine. So where did the design come from? A little more Bell than Mota I hope. Hard to see the header section, I'm assuming it is different from his 100 pipe.

Skunk
14th September 2009, 12:34
Slighty longer in the header. A bit Bell, a bit IWC(?) and a bit guess work. Seems to have a little more torque but peak has dropped. Will look into that.
It's not right for the motor, but the motor will be developed into the pipe if you know what I mean...

mossy1200
14th September 2009, 20:53
Cheers Everyone. I know I'll be getting shit at the track though.

It's got pinstripes as well now. Sometimes I just can't stop myself.

Did I miss a star trek set sale or swapmeet.Go where no revcounter has gone before.
Why is the rev counter showing zero.
Needs a super pursuit mode..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407lo1iIZHI

ajturbo
14th September 2009, 22:33
err... ken gave them to luke.... i couldn't get them to fit the RG without lots of cutting, didn't want to do that.... so skunk got them...

they look good matey!!!

Skunk
15th September 2009, 09:59
err... ken gave them to luke.... i couldn't get them to fit the RG without lots of cutting, didn't want to do that.... so skunk got them...
I like my version better...

Bert
18th September 2009, 18:05
Looks good Skunk, way to flash for those wellington boys. Will catch up on sunday, minus one bike grrrrrr.

BOGAN02
27th September 2009, 13:00
Hey Skunk i was wondering with the ax100 is it better to leave the oil container on the bike or would it be better to premix for the petrol tank? Cheers

Skunk
29th September 2009, 15:44
Up to you - I prefer premix but it's more hassle at the track.

BOGAN02
15th October 2009, 23:44
Hey man just wanted to say cheers for the advice on gettin the beast known as a AX100 going. I put a 2nd hand coil n and it went 1st pop!! now ive got ichy feet to ride:drool:. hahahaha. just 1 more question. whats a good fuel to oil ratio?
cheers kris:banana:

Skunk
16th October 2009, 06:12
I use 32:1 with Motul 800. Don't use cheap oils...

Skunk
14th November 2009, 19:41
The Suzuki AX100 is gone. The AX1R is gone. There's just not enough of an AX100 left to warrant calling it an AX100 or AX1R any longer.

As of today all that is left of the AX100 is the fuel tank and the front half of the frame.

From now on it's the Suzuki SW-R1. As per my original long term plan for the bike it's still a backbone frame and will stay that way. The latest changes are a longer swingarm, rising rate rear linkage and a steeper steering head angle (24.5°). I'm also reducing the amount of trail by replacing the triple clamps. New motor is being built too – a TS125.

Kendog
14th November 2009, 19:52
Make sure you lock that padlock :innocent:

It really is a bucketers bucket, not like those FXR's :blink:

Skunk
14th November 2009, 22:54
It really is a bucketers bucket, not like those FXR's :blink:
Dirty FXR's... got it clean yet?

Kendog
14th November 2009, 22:56
Dirty FXR's... got it clean yet?

Yep, all set and ready to go.

Skunk
21st November 2009, 18:02
Not much AX100 left. Long live the SW-R1!

Before anyone asks... I want a backbone frame. No reason, just I want one. :lol:

Engine is a spare TF125 for the time being.

koba
21st November 2009, 19:45
Not much AX100 left. Long live the SW-R1!

Before anyone asks... I want a backbone frame. No reason, just I want one. :lol:

Engine is a spare TF125 for the time being.

Looks like a bit of a jigsaw puzzle!
Is that an RGV150 swingarma and lower frame section?

nudemetalz
21st November 2009, 19:56
Is that an RGV150 swingarma and lower frame section?

Certainly looks like one.

Skunk
21st November 2009, 21:27
Certainly looks like one.
Yep, the back half is RGV150.
Anyone got the chain adjuster assemblies for one?

The bike is now straighter then it has ever been. The factory welded the steering head to the frame out of square...

koba
22nd November 2009, 18:08
The bike is now straighter then it has ever been. The factory welded the steering head to the frame out of square...
:crazy:
FridayJob!

Bert
24th November 2009, 17:04
Yep, ...
Anyone got the chain adjuster assemblies for one?

might have, I'll go hunting.

Skunk
1st January 2010, 22:16
Well, the TRRS has been and gone. The good news for all of you is that the new bike was (on average) 2 seconds a lap slower than last year. I think I could have got a bit of that back with better gearing (lack of time on the track because of a fuel problem) and better riding. But it wasn't to be. Overall of 28th I think, compared to 15th-ish in 2008. Yep - it's competitive down the back! :lol:

Next time maybe. Or maybe I'll just do some mods...