PDA

View Full Version : RZ50 / GP100 Hybrid Bucket

Slingshot
28th January 2008, 20:39
I'm following in Skunk's footsteps here and am going to show the development of my bucket from it's humble beginnings as a pile of crap to the highly modified race winning machine (future state).

Meet Frankenstein.

Frankie (notice the girlie spelling, Frank sounds too gay) started life with me as an RZ50 rolling chassis & a GP100 motor.

A Friday night & Saturday afternoon spent at Skunkworks got the motor into the frame and thanks to Glen pointing out that the CDI did indeed need to be connected meant that we got her running for her first race day the following day.

Photos:
#1 - RZ50 rolling chassis, take note of the tidy garage.
#2 - The GP100 motor as random bits that came with it.
#3 - The motor mounted in the frame after cutting, bending & welding the frame.
#4 - Skunkworks with Skunk trying to look like he's working hard (he's really just concealing a bourbon)
#5 - Half of the expansion chamber mounted in place (check out the asbestos)

Next installment...Race One.

nudemetalz
28th January 2008, 20:59
Where on earth did you find an RZ50?
Bring back one from the UK ?
:clap:

Skunk
29th January 2008, 08:04
#4 - Skunkworks with Skunk trying to look like he's working hard (he's really just concealing a bourbon)
Mmmm, bourbon.

I see your list of wanted parts. I'm on the lookout for some of those too. Already got some ;)

Keep coming with the updates.

F5 Dave
29th January 2008, 08:34
Where on earth did you find an RZ50?
Bring back one from the UK ?
:clap:

Aaron used to race it. His father used to tune it to a standstill. Then bore the legs off anyone in earshot. oohh special racing frame from South Africa blah blah. They had a 50 & a 100 of some sort. Tried not to look like I was paying too much attn or life would grind to a stop for minutes at a time.

gav
29th January 2008, 18:10
My Bucket Wishlist:
-17' Rims & tires (2.15 front & 3.5 rear)
-Decent forks
-Tuned expansion chamber
-1/4 turn throttle
-Better front brake caliper setup
-Adjustable rear shock

Hmmm, I have an adjustable Yamaha shock if you're interested, I was going to PM you but couldn't attach a photo.
Also have some FZR250 rims that might let go.

Skunk
29th January 2008, 19:32
Hmmm, I have an adjustable Yamaha shock if you're interested, I was going to PM you but couldn't attach a photo.
Also have some FZR250 rims that might let go.
What's are centres on the shock? If its too short for Slingshot it might suit me.

nudemetalz
29th January 2008, 19:36
I could definitely be interested in the front 2.15 x 17 rim.

Slingshot
29th January 2008, 19:45
I could definitely be interested in the front 2.15 x 17 rim.

Get ya grubby mits off...it's mine!!

nudemetalz
29th January 2008, 20:01
:dodge: Okay I'm hearing ya...... :2guns:

Slingshot
29th January 2008, 20:24
I turned up at the track and Frankie was already waiting for me, that morning Skunk et al had swapped over the front sprocket so the chain didn't rub on the frame and she was good to go.

In borrowed leathers, I set off.

I got my knee down, followed by the rest of my body. Farken classic, I had never realised that crashing could be so much fun.

The bike felt like it was running really well, I'd shed a few parts along the way, but all in all Frankie was holding together...until one of the last sessions of the day, all of a sudden Frankie stopped making power and needed full throttle just to be able to limp back to the pits.

Frankie was dead.

Out with the plug, the gap was closed...reset the gap and pushed it around trying to get it to start, no go.

Got home, got the head off and found one rooted piston.

Photos:
#1 & 2 - The damage to the piston
#3 - Me on Frankie in Wasp's leathers after he broke his arm

Next installment...Fixing Frankie (take 1)

gav
29th January 2008, 20:28
OK, just checked, the front rim is a 2.50 x 17.
The shock has 10mm bolt holes, and measures approx 255mm from centre to centre. Not sure what is off, Yamaha roadbike, anyone recognise it?
Slingshot gets first option ......

Slingshot
29th January 2008, 20:57
OK, just checked, the front rim is a 2.50 x 17.
The shock has 10mm bolt holes, and measures approx 255mm from centre to centre. Not sure what is off, Yamaha roadbike, anyone recognise it?
Slingshot gets first option ......

What's the size of the rear?

Will talk to the financial controller (the wife) and PM you back tomorrow.

gav
29th January 2008, 21:04
3.50 x 17 .....

nudemetalz
29th January 2008, 22:00
Okay,...and if Slingshot's financial controller does :bash::spanking: then Team Nudsty is keen.