PDA

View Full Version : versatility of a trials bike?

dave o
29th January 2008, 17:20
im thinking of getting a trials bikes to muck around on, not compete seriously or anything.
are they alright to do smaller trail rides too?
i read about the new scorpa t-ride which is a mix between an enduro and a trials bike, but is too expensive for me.
can you get bigger gas tanks for them if you want to do a longer ride? and how far does a tank last? i would like a trials bike so i can muck around getting up rocks and walls and things, but it would be cool to be able to zoom around on some trails as well.
dave

Jantar
29th January 2008, 17:27
I knew a guy, many years ago, who used a trials bike for enduro riding, and long distance touring. He successfully damaged the bike very quickly, and gave up all dirt riding when he moved in the HD direction.

Basically, buy the bike that is most suited for the riding you intend using it for.

Motu
29th January 2008, 19:58
A twin shock would have a bigger tank and higher seat,and be a bit more trail worthy than a modern - but they won't do the tricks a modern will do....unless you are Expert Grade anyway.There is a YouTube clip somewhere where a trials bike cleans up in indoor Endurocross,runs rings around the enduro bikes.So they aren't as slow as you would think.Some models have optional larger tanks and high seats,but they wouldn't come cheap and you'd have to find a kit.

Check out this Yamaha.http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Other/auction-136348530.htm

crazybigal
31st January 2008, 12:46
my gasgas 250 trials bike holds less than 3l of fuel so you wouldnt get far!
they are no MX bike either, having said that it will go anywere but you have to stand up the whole time! so your legs and arms get tired on long rides.
we have done a few carrying fuel in 3l plastic containers in backpacks.
get a trials bike if you like riding up creeks, up hills and over things.
If you want to rip around the place get a MX bike.

Blue Velvet
31st January 2008, 12:56
I had a Yamaha XG250 (Tricker) last year. Fuel capacity was 6L, which took me surprisingly further than expected. On longer trail rides I took a gas can but never ended up needing it. I tried getting a larger tank but as a Jap import there was nothing available.

I got to ride a trials bike while I owned the XG and it was very, very similar. The XG handled like a trials bike and was great on trails (my primary use for it), so I don't see why a trials bike wouldn't be good too.

crazybigal
31st January 2008, 13:07
your tricker has a seat!!!

I had a Yamaha XG250 (Tricker) last year. Fuel capacity was 6L, which took me surprisingly further than expected. On longer trail rides I took a gas can but never ended up needing it. I tried getting a larger tank but as a Jap import there was nothing available.

I got to ride a trials bike while I owned the XG and it was very, very similar. The XG handled like a trials bike and was great on trails (my primary use for it), so I don't see why a trials bike wouldn't be good too.

Ocean1
31st January 2008, 21:54

Not sure what your XG weighed V, but a modern trials bike weighs under 70kg, that's one of the reasons they can do what they do. That, and some of the bastards that ride 'em are sickeningly, inhumanly skillful.

I've been sorta wanting a T-Ride type machine for ages, and the tricker is probably the closest thing around without spending heaps, I like them. May well try to find a cheapie next summer, I miss the type of trials/trail riding I used to do. Just need a bit of a diet, (don't need to be legal) and some decent tubeless rims and radial trials tyres.

Fryin Finn
1st February 2008, 06:42
A Gas Gas Pampera is probably worth a long hard look - trials bike with a seat and decent fuel tank.
My TLR would probably fit the bill too - but you can't have it.

Blue Velvet
1st February 2008, 08:18
your tricker has a seat!!!

Yeah I know. I was just trying to say a trials bike would be good on trails too *sigh*

Not sure what your XG weighed V, but a modern trials bike weighs under 70kg, that's one of the reasons they can do what they do.

Yeah I know that too. See above. XG dry weight/weight equipped 111kg/120kg. Though somewhere else it says 117kg (dry).

I miss the type of trials/trail riding I used to do...

Sometimes I think I miss it. Then I remember I don't :p

dave o
1st February 2008, 18:07
A Gas Gas Pampera is probably worth a long hard look - trials bike with a seat and decent fuel tank.
My TLR would probably fit the bill too - but you can't have it.

my girlfriends dad has a tlr (tlm?) 200 sitting in his kitchen not doing anything. are they alright? or should i just get a more modern one that isnt so heavy? if i buy a trials bike ill have to sell my race bike, so ill have about $4000 - $5000 to spend.

Motu
1st February 2008, 19:57
TLM200 is a good bike - that was the first Honda/Montesa.An early monoshock,but they are not really up to modern monoshock capabilities.Good for playing around and learning on....but in a trial you'd be in amongst the modern bikes.4 to 5 grand should get you a good modern in the late '90's era....which would be still competitive.

stevedee
1st February 2008, 22:42
Wish I had have kept my old KT250 now that was a do it all bike.

spd:-)

brand new $1299

bugger

F5 Dave
8th February 2008, 17:00
I just use my TXT200 GG to muck around on, go for short trail rides, but generally you are riding in somewhere & playing around & then out. Have taken it on shortish round at a organised trail ride. If we are out all day we take some camping gas canisters. Haven't done that for ages though.

A modern Trials bike, (well say 2000 on) will make a much more fun bike to ride. An older bike will be more kuzed & no where near the fun to much around on.
- IMHO of course,

but I wished I hadn't bought the old aircooled before the GasGas.
:2thumbsup