PDA

View Full Version : Report Taupo 10th Aug 03

Hoon
11th August 2003, 02:52
Had a great first race today!  Thanks to everyone for their help, met lots of people and had a great time.  I can see now how racing can become so addictive.  Not only do you get to race, but between races you can watch motorcyle racing or talk bikes and racing with people!  The "perfect" Sunday if you ask me.  I was expecting a stressful day but found it to be cruisy and relaxing and just like a normal practice day except people raced instead. 

Anyway, arrived at the track at about 8am after spending the night in Taupo. I scanned the crowd for any familiar faces and spotted Mitch, so headed over to say Hi and find out what I needed to do to get signed up for F3 (all I needed was give them my race license + $60 and sign two forms).  Mitch, the first of many helpful people I met that day also suggested that since it was my first time at Taupo I should walk the track while it was still closed.  Sounded like a great idea so I headed out with the missus for a brisk morning stroll and walked around the track about 100m before Mitch ran out and told me I was going in the wrong direction.  Obviously realising how much help I really needed Mitch walked the whole 1.4km track with us and gave me a very valuable guided lap with running commentary (with much emphasis on the sweeper, why? I was soon to find out).  Spotted Bluninja arriving later and he came over so we proceeded to talk more bike stuff as we waited around.  Blu also had a startling amount of detailed advice on the sweeper.

At 9:30am we had a riders brief where we were told the classes and order of races which was (still written on my hand!) SuperMotard, F1, 125, F2, Sidecars, F3, Clubmans, Classics and repeat throughout the day.  First up would be a 10 min practice session for each class then straight into 3 rounds of 6 lap races each.  This meant that with 8 classes, we get about an hour break between races. 

I watched the first few classes race around then heading back to get ready for the F3 practice.  I had rejetted my bike and gone -1 tooth on the front sprocket just for Taupo but hadn't road tested it yet. Heard the call for F3 to the dummy grid so headed out to pit lane.  While I waited I carefully went over my mental list of things I wanted to achieve during this session. I really only had this 10 min practice to bring me up to speed so intended to make the most of it.  However as soon as I got out on the track it all went out the window as I got caught up and swept along with the tide of traffic.  Even though it was a practice, it was at near race pace.  It made it difficult to learn the track at that speed. The corner that proved troublesome for me was the sweeper.  It's some kind of double-apex decreasing radius turn which needs to be taken in two chunks otherwise you get no drive onto the straight.  But all too quickly practice was over and that was it. 

I watched the first few classes race their first race.  Taupo is a great track with excellent viewing (I can only compare to Puke) with several grandstands around the track easily within walking distance.  In the F1 race someone crashed a Ducati pretty bad (the rider was OK though). 

F3 Race 1:  We all got to a 1 warmup lap and then grided.  I started at the rear of the grid, got a good start and passed a few bikes on the first straight.  They caught me up again in the next corners as I was all over the track still bumbling my way around.  It was hard to keep track of where I was as bikes were everywhere.  I learnt that racing is very unforgiving as everytime I made a mistake another bike would slip past.  Someone went down on the hairpin but was alright so the racing went on.  I eventually settled about 3rd to last place.  Mitch finished mid pack somewhere.  Bluninja was racing clubmans.

F3 Race 2: Started at the back again, got a good launch off the line but someone a couple bikes ahead didn't and that moment of hesitation on my part cost me my drive as everyone else disappeared into the distance.  Was happy to circulate near the rear working on my lines.  Passed Mitch as she was just rejoining the track after running wide on a turn.  She caught me up again and passed me on the last lap dammit!  Gave me a good lesson on how to take the sweeper too.  Think I ended about 2nd to last.

F3 Race 3:  Started again in my fav spot!  Bike bogs down on launch and everyone pisses off into the distance.  Someone ahead also took a fall and bikes dart everywhere avoiding him. He's still tumbling with bike sliding as I pass him.  Bit more confident with my riding now so taking a few corners at speed however the frequent mistakes are still undoing all my hard work ohh well.  Someone else falls on the hairpin.  They don't look too well and stay lying on the track for the next 3 laps getting attention - meanwhile everyone else is happily racing around him under yellow :)  Finished near last again btu didn't get lapped!  Ambulance comes on and takes dude away :(

Had a great time!  Learnt a lot of new stuff, met some great people and glad to finally be doing it and instead of just talking about it!  I'm really looking forward to my next race meet which will probably be Pukekohe in Oct so I won't have the excuse of not knowing the track this time!

wari
11th August 2003, 05:39
Good on ya Ho ... well done and all the best for Puke. :niceone:

Racey Rider
11th August 2003, 08:13
Go The Hoon!! :niceone:

Really brassed off that I didn't make it there yesterday! Had to work all day Saturday so didn't get time to get sorted. :angry2:

Dave
11th August 2003, 09:03
Good stuff,as you've discovered its alot of good fun.

bikerboy
11th August 2003, 09:08
Great post Ho,

Sounds like a great day and very enticing to us wallflowers! :niceone:

bluninja
11th August 2003, 10:21
Great post HH. Glad you enjoyed a great day at the track. Don't forget BabyB was also circulating around in Clubmans at her second race meeting, enjoying herself and doing her own thing.

I had a fun, if slow, time. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare? Well I managed 3rd place in the championship....a victory for consistency...or persistancy:D

TTFN

Mitch
11th August 2003, 10:41
Great to see you get out there Hoon!!!!  And going the right way around the track to lmao!!!!!!!!!! 

Was a fantastic weekend, although I did have a couple of issues staying on the black stuff :D

Found myself dirt riding in both the first and second races :o  Hmmm must learn something from my mistakes just not very quickly I guess :p

Congrats to Si the burglaring bastard for his third in Clubmans and also another KBer, Nicko, took out 1st place in F2 for the series with some very smooth riding Sunday.  :niceone:

Hoon the next meeting down there is 12th October.  Another nice relaxed small club round :D

gpercivl
11th August 2003, 11:52
Great to see you had fun first time racing, and also great to see a race report printed on the site. When you decide to get serious it's something you can point your potential sponsors to for your and their recognition.:niceone:

babyB
11th August 2003, 22:51
well wahooo       congrats to Blu well done.......Good on ya HoH for getting out there, might see ya next meeting

well what can i say  Heaps.lol ...great day & good weather. & again i learned heaps...4 starters ill never race on 45 minuts of sleep again, i just wont sleep at all

HoH great write up.  thought id add the other side

thursday me bike fell on its side (strap broke while hanging from the shed rafters after having a tyre change) couldent get her to go,  after carb drain, plug clean, wiring check, 2 battery recharges and nurmaris jumps off truck battery, and bad language, & trying to help get hoovs bike going too  (is now saturday) 6pm we load my bike and hoov takes her into its previous owner , 8pm i get the phone call to say they got her going (after afew atempts to pushstart in down a hill) wahoo i get to go to Taupo then realized i still had to do miner work to the feirings and their bent brackets.  hoov arives back 9pm with me bike. so get her back together again and start to load up the gear then orgnize food for the kids 2am sunday morning with a well earnen coffie i  sit and think im nuts, debated weather i should sleep or not. arival at Taupo made the last few days worth it but i was too darn tired to jump for joy. enjoyed the day and the ppl thanks to mitch for much needed inspiration  and your help & blu too.  Well i may have been last in every race but i dont care i had fun & enjoyed it.

hay mitch u know i watch the way u ride but i for got to ask ........do i need to put knobblies on me bike now..lol

Mitch
11th August 2003, 23:30
Aw BabyB not you too :argh:  everyone is a bloody comedian lmao!!!!!  I think the best advise I can give is possibly NOT to watch the way I ride to closely!!! hehe

Was fantastic to see you out there again BabyB and in much better conditions to have some fun.  :D If all goes to plan I will be doing a rider training day with Brian Bernard on the 29th of this month :p LOOK OUT faster crashes are yet to come LOL

babyB
11th August 2003, 23:41
laffs    one day i get to challange u mitch  we might fall off together with shock.lol

bluninja
12th August 2003, 12:39
Mitch, burgling bastard indeed:angry2: I would have gone in a slower class if there was one :D

So you're doing the race coaching thing on the 29th ?...doesn't make me feel so bad about having to drop out now......bugger I'm going to have to do some real upskilling to start trying to catch you in the Auckland champs come October. Maybe I'll just paint the RSVR yellow and pretend it's an F3 bike so I can blast down the back straight at Puke.

BTW if you look on the MNZ site there's some great race training aids....for off roading:p:p:p

TTFN

Mitch
12th August 2003, 13:33
:D Si sweety sorry to remind you but I was beating you even when you were on the RSVR lmao  :eek:

Hmmm except on the straights :o

Might have to go steal your SV and race you one that hehehehe

As for the off roading you just wait  :angry2:  I'll crash next time and you'll really have something to laugh at :p

:niceone:

bluninja
13th August 2003, 16:26
Mitch I was being sweet and gentle on Gina (my RSVR), did over $1000 when it fell over at Puke in the carpark....couldn't risk any more damage.....

As for crashing....given the Taupo evidence you really need a red ducati for that :(

TTFN

bikerboy
13th August 2003, 18:10
:( Someone crashed a Ducati ?! :eek: :angry2:

Mitch
13th August 2003, 21:29
Yup and it was the least funny crash i've seen in a long time!!!!

In one race 2 brand new 999 (I think that is what they are)  One blew up and the other rolled its way into complete distruction.

Was not nice to watch!!  :no: :no: :no:

nicko
14th August 2003, 18:38
Yeah nasty crash alright. Crashed one was a 944 Corsa & broken one was a 916SP.

Nice riding from Si, Baby & Mitch on Sunday, was a wicked day & nice to be able to watch a few races for once instead of shagging round with wet tyres wondering if it's going to dry out.

Shorty_925
20th August 2003, 23:09
Is this the pacific club day?? I heard the number 3 sidecar just made the rest of the feild look a bit silly..... just as silly as my old man turing up on our bucket at the first round. I saw a ducati go flying at manfield once, along the back straight, the guy got out of shape and fall off and the bike slide along and hit a mound of bark and then flipped several times through the air, all that popped into my head was dollar signs.

750Y
21st August 2003, 17:50
Hey Nice one Ho. Glad You finally got out there and enjoyed it. Glad the bike was behaving itself too. well done dude. so Puke, You'll be moving up the grid no doubt. see ya round.