PDA

View Full Version : Leather saddle bags backside

Jiminy
30th January 2008, 21:28
Hi all,

Hope this is the right thread.

I ride an M50 with leather saddle bags mounted under the pillion seat. I've fixed the bags fairly high -a- because it looks better on the M50 and -b- so they don't mess with my rear wheel.

Recently, I've realised that the backside of the bags is not as sturdy as I thought, and the bags are slowly leaning towards my wheel. Does anyone have a good idea to make the backside sturdier?

Of course, I could install some supports, but I will never have them in time for my next trip (this Friday) and I find them too expensive.

Any good idea?

Macktheknife
30th January 2008, 23:35
Bend up some No8 and make supports? Simple V shape should do it, the support needs to be seperate from the bag or they don't work well.
Failing that some bungy cord across the top to hold them out from the wheel. (doesn't work well, but might do)
Or you could bite the bullet and buy some universal supports for about $120.

Good luck.

zuk
31st January 2008, 05:24
ring/txt me on 0272909104, I have some off my old intruder that will fit.Im away from friday morning so it will have to be today

Jiminy
31st January 2008, 21:36
ring/txt me on 0272909104, I have some off my old intruder that will fit.Im away from friday morning so it will have to be today

Thanks sooooo much again zuk! I've mounted the supports and they work great :first:

Of course, I *really* had to wait for the last day to prepare my trip, that makes things so much easier :doh:

heyjoe
14th March 2008, 08:17
A happy ending!

vifferman
14th March 2008, 08:21
Recently, I've realised that the backside of the bags is not as sturdy as I thought, and the bags are slowly leaning towards my wheel.
Oooh.... that's not good.
I know a guy whose saddlebags went into his back wheel, unbeknownst to him, until he woke up all smashed up and was told that that's what they thought had happened, when he was doing about 120km/h. :buggerd:

Glad you got it sorted, Dude! :niceone:

Blossom
14th March 2008, 08:27
Oooh.... that's not good.
I know a guy whose saddlebags went into his back wheel, unbeknownst to him, until he woke up all smashed up and was told that that's what they thought had happened, when he was doing about 120km/h. :buggerd:

Glad you got it sorted, Dude! :niceone:
Now I will have to make sure the damn things are safe. :argh:.... Just when I had convinced myself they didn't need supports. Seriously though, thanks for the heads up. There are many opinions on the matter and at the end of the day it still remains safety first. :yes:

vifferman
14th March 2008, 08:49
Then there's the droopy ones that droop until they rest comfortably and safely on the zorst.
Where they eventually catch on fire.
Happened to me when I was test-riding a cruiser - if the ride had been a few km longer, there would've been flames, rather than just smoke...

the_old_vic
13th July 2008, 20:04
Can you help where to get bag supports from, universal or which fit a kawasaki vn900.

Jiminy
13th July 2008, 22:23
Hey, I had almost forgotten about this thread :). The bags are still sitting nice and safe :first:

Anyway, back to the question.

Have a look here:
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/list.cfm?model_ID=127&category_ID=115&sblid=Saddlebag_Brackets_for_Kawasaki_Vulcan_900_C ustom

There are a few similar web sites around. I haven't bought anything from a US on-line shop yet, does anyone have any preference or good/bad experience from a particular site?

Some local shops might have the universal supports, too.

The Lone Rider
13th July 2008, 22:39
Only ever heard good things about cruiser customizing

I think there is also a site called Suzuki Direct Line.. might be worth looking up. I know there is Honda Direct Line and remember a link to "109R Direct Line"