PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Yamaha FJR1300AX

Hitcher
1st February 2008, 19:35
Hitcher, you twat. You already ride one of these things for a living. Why are you test riding one of these when you could be riding something else?

Fair question. As a doting owner of a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300T with a few tweaks (Ohlins rear suspension, Two Brothers Racing mufflers, DNA air filter, Iridium sparkplugs) it was with some apprehension that I accepted Fergus’s invitation to take the 2008 Yamaha FJR1300AX out for a spin. But it looked stunningly beautiful in metallic black with silver slashes on its fairings. I was seduced.

Phenotypically there isn’t much difference between the 2005 and 2008 FJRs. Different side panels, different billet-work for the pillion pegs and muffler mounts, facelifted rear indicator set, new instrument panel, new front mirrors and stalks, changed screen shape… But to the eyes of the uninitiated, it’s ostensibly the same bike.

Hopping on I adjusted the mirrors (these are absolutely gorgeous), reset the span-adjustable clutch and brake levers, scrolled through the options on the new digital information panel (it’s got an air temperature display, and a fuel computer), noted the presence of factory-fitted heated handgrips and the hazard indicator switch above the starter button.

First gear engaged (with no clunk), and away.

Another interesting point of comparison on the new bike was going to be the OEM Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tyres. I had run these on my ZRX1200R and ST1300 and enjoyed them. I had not previously ridden an FJR with these fitted.

The engine and throttle response was remarkably similar to my FJR, so no surprises there. But hello, fewer revs needed for the same indicated speed. Most interesting. The gaps between the gears are remarkably similar to the 2005 model, so my presumption is that Yamaha has altered the final drive ratio. I was suitably impressed by this change. It didn’t seem to hinder the bike at all, either in terms of jump-off-the-line or roll-on performance.

The engine is apparently unchanged between the model years. “1300” is actually a 1298cc 16-valve, liquid-cooled inline four delivering a silky spread of shaft-driven muscle over a wide rpm range (145hp @ 8000 rpm and 99 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 7000 rpm). This is an engine purpose-built for this bike.

On the digital display is a gear-position indicator. Reasonably pointless for a big torquey five-speed, but it’s there just the same.

The 2005 FJR has the same front brakes as the R1 from the same year. These are wonderful, and I’d rate them the best stoppers on any bike I have ridden to date. Lots of stop with lots of feel. The 2008 model has Nissins. The test bike was the no-ABS model. After 440km, these had still not properly bedded, but were still impressive, continuing the tradition of the earlier model.

My test route from TSS Red Baron in Alicetown was out to the Wainuiomata coast and back. Wellington riders will be familiar with this route. For others, suffice it to say it is a windy country road, preceded by the egregious feat of engineering that is the Wainuiomata hill road – a two-laned series of severely off-camber corners. This was famous for spectacularly fatal head-on accidents, until a concrete median barrier was erected over 20 years ago. It is also fun in the wind, and today was indeed windy. The coast road proper has some nice sets of sweepers and some interesting corners that pose interesting questions for the inexperienced or unwary.

First observation: The standard rear suspension pales compared with an Ohlins. It’s harsh and stiff. I’ve been corrupted by a Swedish beauty.

Second observation: I don’t know how they’ve done it. Try as I might I couldn’t spot the difference, but the wind and weather protection afforded by the fairing is way better than the 2005 model. The standard screen is superb – the best I’ve experienced on any ride with a screen, fixed or adjustable.

Third observation: Where’s the engine heat gone? Riding a 2005 FJR in summer is a bit like sitting on a brazier. This can be a bit uncomfortable in stop-start round town riding. Mr Yamaha has sorted that.

Fourth observation: Also gone are the odd patches of footpeg vibration, particularly the 4,000rpm peak, not that these are excessive on the earlier model.

Fifth observation: The seat is firm but fair, and a slightly different set-up to the 2005 FJR. On my return Fergus also advised it now has two height settings.

Fifth observation: There are better-handling tyres for an FJR1300 than Metzeler Roadtec Z6s. While they have a lovely sharp turn-in attribute, they’re not as engaging a tyre to ride as either the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or the Avon Storm. I now have a valid reason not to try a set in future.

Congratulations to Yamaha for retaining all of the bits that make the 2005 FJR an absolute delight to ride and for enhancing these. The 2008 model is a clear step up the evolutionary ladder and a worthy successor for the earlier model.

Did I like it? You’re preaching to the choir, in the form of an extremely-satisfied-already FJR owner. But yes I did. The first immediate change would be the rear suspension, and the Metzelers would also go immediately in preference for a set of Storms.

Would I buy one? I had already made a commitment to get another FJR at my next change. Today’s ride solidified that commitment.

A sports tourer isn’t every rider’s cup of tea, but for the sort of riding I do, this genre of bike is the only one that meets my needs: something capable of effortlessly eating 1,600km in 24 hours; keeping a rider equipped for extended periods of travel; and more than capable of a bit of weekend scratching when required. Today’s ride confirmed to me that it would have to be a very special bike to head the FJR out as clear winner of this class.

Seek out your friendly neighbourhood Yamaha dealer and try one yourself. You’ll love it.

Many thanks to TSS Red Baron for providing the test bike.

Coyote
1st February 2008, 19:58
Went to the Weltec open day and they have a brand new one there for the mechanics to learn how to diagnose electrical problems. They chose the FJR since it was loaded with high tech magikry

Did the one you ride have no clutch lever? I suppose all models have that, but I wouldn't be surprised if if was an option for those that'd feel better having one.

Hitcher
1st February 2008, 20:00
Nope. My test bike was the bog-standard clutch lever model.

Swoop
1st February 2008, 20:17
That sounds like a nice wee set of wheels. How did it rate "financially"?

Also, there is nothing wrong with a nice sports/tourer! Every home should have one.

Hitcher
3rd February 2008, 16:18
That sounds like a nice wee set of wheels. How did it rate "financially"?

Also, there is nothing wrong with a nice sports/tourer! Every home should have one.

From memory they're about $25,000 plus ORC. That is a couple of thou cheaper than they have been previously. I think Honda does the ST1300 a few thousand cheaper still. But the Yamaha is a superior product and well worth the extra investment.

banditrider
3rd February 2008, 18:05
Whoa! The ST boys ain't gonna like ya. Least ya didn't say it was better than the Connie which is a grand cheaper than the FJR.

Oh no, what have I started...

Hitcher
3rd February 2008, 18:16
Whoa! The ST boys ain't gonna like ya. Least ya didn't say it was better than the Connie which is a grand cheaper than the FJR.

Oh no, what have I started...

I must get myself to an obliging Kawasaki dealership with a demo Concours and take one for a fang. I guess that means a ride to either Masterton or Palmerston North...

banditrider
3rd February 2008, 18:18
There has been a demo bike here in Palmy - not sure if it's still there, may pay to check. I'm sure they'll let ya loose on it if it's there - particularly if you turn up on ya FJR.

Meanie
3rd February 2008, 18:39
I must get myself to an obliging Kawasaki dealership with a demo Concours and take one for a fang. I guess that means a ride to either Masterton or Palmerston North...

I,d be real keen on hearing what you think of the ZG. I rode the FJR as well before i brought my Concours and loved it, nearly brought one untill i laid eyes on
AFC has one in there that looks like its been ridden Have a chat to Brendon i,m sure hed be keen for a comparison I am

James Deuce
3rd February 2008, 18:50
Repeat Custom is what every manufacturer should be aiming for.

Hitcher
3rd February 2008, 19:06
I was REALLY impressed by the fix for the engine-heat-in-summer issue that the 05 model has. Scouring the web I am to see if there is some sort of kit one can procure. No luck so far...

While my 05 is a superior handling machine to the stock 08, Mr Avon and Mr Ohlins can cure this.

NZsarge
3rd February 2008, 19:16
There has been a demo bike here in Palmy - not sure if it's still there, may pay to check. I'm sure they'll let ya loose on it if it's there - particularly if you turn up on ya FJR.

Yeah they still have a ZG in there...well they did on friday anyway.

shafty
3rd February 2008, 19:32
Hitcher, did you experience heat anoyance on your ST, and if so how/did you rectify that? Cheers

James Deuce
3rd February 2008, 19:34
He RAV4ed it.

shafty
3rd February 2008, 19:38
He RAV4ed it.

I take it the ToyMotor won....

James Deuce
3rd February 2008, 19:39
Indeed. Though what it was doing in reverse in an overtaking lane is another issue.

Swoop
3rd February 2008, 20:02
The driver was beside himself and did not know whether he was coming or going.

Hitcher
3rd February 2008, 20:33
Hitcher, did you experience heat anoyance on your ST, and if so how/did you rectify that? Cheers

The summer heating thang wasn't so much of an issue on the ST. And as James II has intimated, the RAV4 won the collateral damage contest. Its driver lost the Court contest, however. And Transit has latterly resealed the Memorial Skidmark.

banditrider
5th February 2008, 18:35
Good 4-bike comparo here:http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5874&Page=1

Don't particularly like the outcome but anyway...

I have no complaints about low speed handling and get better economy than they did...

Hitcher
5th February 2008, 19:17
Don't particularly like the outcome but anyway...

Interesting reading. Thanks for finding that.

Hey, they're just a bunch of professional American bike reviewers who made these bikes do what their manufacturers intended, rather than just taking them for a half-hour ride around the block. What do they know?

Still missing was the pillion perspective or any commentary on the respective luggage systems (the ST1300 would have lost the luggage comparison).

"Ridiculously fantastic bike." I liked that comment...

Aero165
5th February 2008, 20:25
Hitcher, you twat. You already ride one of these things for a living. Why are you test riding one of these when you could be riding something else?

Fair question. As a doting owner of a 2005 Yamaha FJR1300T with a few tweaks (Ohlins rear suspension, Two Brothers Racing mufflers, DNA air filter, Iridium sparkplugs) it was with some apprehension that I accepted Fergus’s invitation to take the 2008 Yamaha FJR1300AX out for a spin. But it looked stunningly beautiful in metallic black with silver slashes on its fairings. I was seduced.

Phenotypically there isn’t much difference between the 2005 and 2008 FJRs. Different side panels, different billet-work for the pillion pegs and muffler mounts, facelifted rear indicator set, new instrument panel, new front mirrors and stalks, changed screen shape… But to the eyes of the uninitiated, it’s ostensibly the same bike.

Hopping on I adjusted the mirrors (these are absolutely gorgeous), reset the span-adjustable clutch and brake levers, scrolled through the options on the new digital information panel (it’s got an air temperature display, and a fuel computer), noted the presence of factory-fitted heated handgrips and the hazard indicator switch above the starter button.

First gear engaged (with no clunk), and away.

Another interesting point of comparison on the new bike was going to be the OEM Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tyres. I had run these on my ZRX1200R and ST1300 and enjoyed them. I had not previously ridden an FJR with these fitted.

The engine and throttle response was remarkably similar to my FJR, so no surprises there. But hello, fewer revs needed for the same indicated speed. Most interesting. The gaps between the gears are remarkably similar to the 2005 model, so my presumption is that Yamaha has altered the final drive ratio. I was suitably impressed by this change. It didn’t seem to hinder the bike at all, either in terms of jump-off-the-line or roll-on performance.

The engine is apparently unchanged between the model years. “1300” is actually a 1298cc 16-valve, liquid-cooled inline four delivering a silky spread of shaft-driven muscle over a wide rpm range (145hp @ 8000 rpm and 99 ft.-lbs. of torque @ 7000 rpm). This is an engine purpose-built for this bike.

On the digital display is a gear-position indicator. Reasonably pointless for a big torquey five-speed, but it’s there just the same.

The 2005 FJR has the same front brakes as the R1 from the same year. These are wonderful, and I’d rate them the best stoppers on any bike I have ridden to date. Lots of stop with lots of feel. The 2008 model has Nissins. The test bike was the no-ABS model. After 440km, these had still not properly bedded, but were still impressive, continuing the tradition of the earlier model.

My test route from TSS Red Baron in Alicetown was out to the Wainuiomata coast and back. Wellington riders will be familiar with this route. For others, suffice it to say it is a windy country road, preceded by the egregious feat of engineering that is the Wainuiomata hill road – a two-laned series of severely off-camber corners. This was famous for spectacularly fatal head-on accidents, until a concrete median barrier was erected over 20 years ago. It is also fun in the wind, and today was indeed windy. The coast road proper has some nice sets of sweepers and some interesting corners that pose interesting questions for the inexperienced or unwary.

First observation: The standard rear suspension pales compared with an Ohlins. It’s harsh and stiff. I’ve been corrupted by a Swedish beauty.

Second observation: I don’t know how they’ve done it. Try as I might I couldn’t spot the difference, but the wind and weather protection afforded by the fairing is way better than the 2005 model. The standard screen is superb – the best I’ve experienced on any ride with a screen, fixed or adjustable.

Third observation: Where’s the engine heat gone? Riding a 2005 FJR in summer is a bit like sitting on a brazier. This can be a bit uncomfortable in stop-start round town riding. Mr Yamaha has sorted that.

Fourth observation: Also gone are the odd patches of footpeg vibration, particularly the 4,000rpm peak, not that these are excessive on the earlier model.

Fifth observation: The seat is firm but fair, and a slightly different set-up to the 2005 FJR. On my return Fergus also advised it now has two height settings.

Fifth observation: There are better-handling tyres for an FJR1300 than Metzeler Roadtec Z6s. While they have a lovely sharp turn-in attribute, they’re not as engaging a tyre to ride as either the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or the Avon Storm. I now have a valid reason not to try a set in future.

Congratulations to Yamaha for retaining all of the bits that make the 2005 FJR an absolute delight to ride and for enhancing these. The 2008 model is a clear step up the evolutionary ladder and a worthy successor for the earlier model.

Did I like it? You’re preaching to the choir, in the form of an extremely-satisfied-already FJR owner. But yes I did. The first immediate change would be the rear suspension, and the Metzelers would also go immediately in preference for a set of Storms.

Would I buy one? I had already made a commitment to get another FJR at my next change. Today’s ride solidified that commitment.

A sports tourer isn’t every rider’s cup of tea, but for the sort of riding I do, this genre of bike is the only one that meets my needs: something capable of effortlessly eating 1,600km in 24 hours; keeping a rider equipped for extended periods of travel; and more than capable of a bit of weekend scratching when required. Today’s ride confirmed to me that it would have to be a very special bike to head the FJR out as clear winner of this class.

Seek out your friendly neighbourhood Yamaha dealer and try one yourself. You’ll love it.

Many thanks to TSS Red Baron for providing the test bike.

Were you in Barons Recreational Vehicles Taupo a few weeks back on your 2005 FJR??

Hitcher
6th February 2008, 20:13
Were you in Barons Recreational Vehicles Taupo a few weeks back on your 2005 FJR??

No. It must have been another curmudgeon.

ital916
13th February 2008, 18:12
How easy is it to tip those big tourers in hitcher. They are pretty big but through a twisty corner, can they be cranked over. Are they very difficult to handle at low speeds? Sorry i'm a noob lol

Hitcher
13th February 2008, 18:33
How easy is it to tip those big tourers in hitcher. They are pretty big but through a twisty corner, can they be cranked over. Are they very difficult to handle at low speeds? Sorry i'm a noob lol

They're not as "big" as you think. Yes they're heavy (260-oddkg) when you're moving them around the gargre or in parking spaces. But once you're rolling and have your feet up on the pegs you're not conscious of the weight. They corner just fine, indeed I would describe the FJR as being defty nimble. It's only about 80kg heavier than a sprots thou, about 10kg of which will be fuel. By "cranked over" I suspect you mean peg-dragging through corners? If so, then yes they can. Low centre of gravity and a nice luggy engine makes nerdling around town amongst the commuting traffic pretty straightforward too.

ital916
14th February 2008, 08:17
Thanks for that hitcher :D, really wanna sit on one in the bike store but alas the staff would be like "get off you don't even have your restricted....come back in two years" :sweatdrop

James Deuce
14th February 2008, 09:02
No they wouldn't. Not if they know how to sell bikes. Tell them you're just dreaming and you know it and if the sales person is a proverbial "good cunt" then you will get a sit AND a brochure.