PDA

View Full Version : Computer help please

Korumba
2nd February 2008, 09:43
My PC has been playing up lately and just wondering if any body can steer me in the right direction to repair it before I take it into the shop.
Its about 3 years old I think it has about 2,6 gig processor, and has 256meg NVIDIA Graphics card and 2 gig ram
First I got this
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
C:\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-Rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair.

It would not repair it with the OEM disk so Reformatted, it worked fine for a week or so then just started playing up,
Would run scan disk and it would recover lots of corrupt files then be all go for a day or so then maybe only starting in safe mode then only working after a scan disk again then it would do the
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
C:\windows\system32\config\system
Again .
What could it be? Motherboard, Hard drive, Ram or what
Thanks in advance.

YellowDog
2nd February 2008, 09:57
Buy a new harddrive, reinstall and off you go.
Good answer!

Try and buy one with a 3 year warrantee. The one year warrantee ones go wrong after about 18 months.

Try and avoid mail order. The banging about in transport is not good for it. A computer store will have receiver theirs in a box with 99 others so is less likely to be damaged.

It's easy to fit and just transfer the connectors from the old one.

Remember to remove the power before you start.

Sounds like you know everything else you need.

Good luck.

Korumba
2nd February 2008, 10:31
Way cool thanks guys, I even have a anti static thingy...

cowboyz
2nd February 2008, 10:40
hit it with a hammer. thats what I do.

Korumba
2nd February 2008, 10:46
Do I get SATA OR IDE ?????

Korumba
2nd February 2008, 11:05
Winfast NF4UK8AA

Thanks again just got the book out and it has sata connectors.

Bren
2nd February 2008, 11:06
while you get a hard drive also go to dick smiths and pick up a copy of Ubuntu 7.10.

Go Linux all the way, You wont regret it!

magicfairy
2nd February 2008, 11:10
while you get a hard drive also go to dick smiths and pick up a copy of Ubuntu 7.10.

Go Linux all the way, You wont regret it!

If you know very little about computers stick to Windows.

Subike
2nd February 2008, 11:14
rofl
you come to a bikers forum to get help with a computor?
thats like going to a computor forum to get help with your bike!
Would you think you would get "Expert" advice?
If you can get onto this forum, and ask these questions,I am sure you could find Geeks on Computor forums who would help you.
But I have a good fix,
Strap it to the back of your bike,
ride hard out into the wind
this always blows out my cobwebs
and reset my life from the "Depression Virus"
back to "hand me another Tui's"
And Im all Hard drive operative again!

YellowDog
2nd February 2008, 11:15
Ubunto is really good. I use it as a dataserver on a crap old PC and it is 10 times the speed of Windows. Wouldn't use it myself as a client workstation. Yes it is good, but there is loads of stuff to sort out and you often get compatibility issues with Internet and email bits & bobs. For the experienced and skilled user I suppose it is a good option. Especially if you don't want to fork out loads of cash for a new system. The only real reason I don't use it as a client is that I have to do a lot of stuff with my work's network.

Check out this Windows Vista poke:

http://www.blip.tv/file/340692

Very funny, but sadly quite true!

scracha
2nd February 2008, 11:43
Get yourself a Seagate Barracuda drive (probably AS type)...5 year warranty. 100 bucks for 250GB is about right. Wouldn't bother getting a "huge" drive unless you're storing lots of video or crazy amounts of photo/music files.. If you leave it running all the time then spend an extra few bucks and get the ES drives.

Worth blagging a loan of someone else's drive first incase that's not the problem though.

Korumba
2nd February 2008, 11:46
rofl
you come to a bikers forum to get help with a computor?
thats like going to a computor forum to get help with your bike!
Would you think you would get "Expert" advice?
If you can get onto this forum, and ask these questions,I am sure you could find Geeks on Computor forums who would help you.
But I have a good fix,
Strap it to the back of your bike,
ride hard out into the wind
this always blows out my cobwebs
and reset my life from the "Depression Virus"
back to "hand me another Tui's"
And Im all Hard drive operative again!

That cracks me up.

I don’t want to sign up to computer site there are over 10,000 members here. I know there are plenty of IT and Computer savvy people on this site.

It was a simple question before I took it into a shop. And with one post the first two replies answered it.

Now can anyone help me with the open heart surgery I am performing right now on my cousin is it ok to jump start his heart again with a 12 Volt jumper leads from the car or is it best to use the 24volt from the Truck?

Kiwifire72
2nd February 2008, 13:27
Now can anyone help me with the open heart surgery I am performing right now on my cousin is it ok to jump start his heart again with a 12 Volt jumper leads from the car or is it best to use the 24volt from the Truck?[/QUOTE]

Being a Heart By Pass recovery myself and have had to have a jump start while in theatre I would recommend that while you have you PC unplugged doing the hrd drive replacement strip the wires on the plug and use it to jump start your Kuz

Korumba
2nd February 2008, 21:20
Up and running, Got a Western Digital 160GB for $118.00.

Turned out I had a Seagate Barracuda 160GB in it, its only 3 years old,
The company who sold me the PC are no longer about, so can I still get it looked at?

If I get it fixed will just but it back in the PC and have 2 HDDs.

Thanks again for all the help.

RT527
2nd February 2008, 21:27
That cracks me up.

I don’t want to sign up to computer site there are over 10,000 members here. I know there are plenty of IT and Computer savvy people on this site.

It was a simple question before I took it into a shop. And with one post the first two replies answered it.

Now can anyone help me with the open heart surgery I am performing right now on my cousin is it ok to jump start his heart again with a 12 Volt jumper leads from the car or is it best to use the 24volt from the Truck?

Hmmm been watching too many movies havnt ya....you dont jump start a heart...you actually deliver a shock to stop a hearts irregular Rhythm, thereby letting your hearts natural pacemaker re boot itself, so to speak.

scracha
3rd February 2008, 08:33
If I get it fixed will just but it back in the PC and have 2 HDDs.

From memory the older Barracuda drives only had a 3 year warranty. As a 160gb drive is about 85 bucks then the 60 dollar handling charge [they go to Singapore via one of the official importers] to get the old one refurbished makes it only worth chucking it in the skip. I've wouldn't recommend refurbished drives anyway as I've had them fail a few months later.

Pity you needed it at the weekend. I could have had a 250gb Barracuda at your doorstep on Monday morning for less money.

Well worth running imaging software [google xml backup] once you've spent a few hours/days getting your system up and running exatly the way you want it again.

Korumba
28th April 2008, 13:50
Update on my PC all going well with the new hard drive,

Thanks again for the advice.

Last weekend a small 45mm fan on a heat sink on the motherboard started making noises, had a look, could not pull it apart to apply some silicon grease so got some chain lube and gave it a blast and all good……..So Far.. lol