PDA

View Full Version : Enough is fucking enough.

ital916
2nd February 2008, 12:21
Hey guys,

Was just strolling through the threads and came across a few clips of what happens when bad "safety" barriers are used. I have a strong stomach but no one, absolutely no one deserves to go through the pain caused by illogically conceived barriers that do more harm than good. I've speeled and ranted to so many people, friends and family about wrb's to spread the word. Not many people care which sickens me. Well the government has been about not ignoring minorities and equality and fairness and all that so why the hell are they ignoring motorcyclists! I was thinking if no one wants to read or listen to why wrb's are bad why not show them. I'm pretty photoshop savvy but unfortunately don't ave it on my comp. I was thinking why not create some posters, not happy lovey dovey posters but hard hitting posters like the drink driving campaigns. Showing what happens to us when we hit one, to make the public realise it's not a dummy under the gear but a real fucking person with a family. Posters say with slogans that will catch peoples attention and pictures that will send shivers down their spine. So rich and poor people alike will sit up and go hey if my kid/dad/daughter etc was on a bike and that was them!....I will be happy to help out and help design such posters, if annyone with the software is willing we can do something. Plaster them everywhere, make poeple look as they obviously won't listen. Just an idea, rant over. My mum is getting her motorcycle licence, but i will be warning her of the dangers of the barriers. Makes me angry thinking about the hurt that families go through cos of cost cutting. Rant over, hope my idea is ok and we can help make a difference.
I would be happy to plaster them all over auckland.

Ride Safe

See you on the road

Drider

dino3310
2nd February 2008, 12:36
This could be the problem bro:
Hello my names Helen Clarke and i dont give a fuck!.

If your idea goes ahead send some posters my way i'm out and about all over the waikato for work so i could plaster them around the rural sector.

yungatart
2nd February 2008, 12:42
Print out the photo of the falcon that has gone thriough the barriers. Attach it to some petition forms. People will sign the petition when they realise that they are not safe from WRB's when they are in a cage.
You have to make it "about" car drivers, as so many of them think if you ride a motorcycle
a)you must have a death wish anyway
b) you deserve what ever you get.
If you make it relevant to those in their tintops, suddenly they "see" the problem and want to do something about it.

Colapop
2nd February 2008, 12:59
Whatever ideas are come up with please co-ordinate them with others!

www.cheesecutter.co.nz

There are stickers that have been made up as a test but are yet to be sent out. It's not a matter of not wanting you to do anything, it's making sure that we show a united front. One or two of us running in different directions could be detrimental to progress if you know what I mean.

ital916
2nd February 2008, 13:07
Whatever ideas are come up with please co-ordinate them with others!

www.cheesecutter.co.nz

There are stickers that have been made up as a test but are yet to be sent out. It's not a matter of not wanting you to do anything, it's making sure that we show a united front. One or two of us running in different directions could be detrimental to progress if you know what I mean.

Agreed! I will pencil up some ideas tonight and get started on some poster designs tomorrow. Will try multiple images, car and bikes alike. We all share the road, we should all be aware of how stupid the barriers are. If anyone else is keen or has any good images just pm me. Also give a note if the images are graphic.

ital916
2nd February 2008, 13:10
Oh and post up slogans that you think will be effective on posters.

Macktheknife
2nd February 2008, 13:18
A coordinated approach, with strong relevance to all road users will gain the best result.
The issue should actually be about the barriers themselves not the carnage to us, because as the drunk driver ads showed, people turn off very quickly to that kind of thing.
If it's shown to affect all users, and have bad consequences, it has a much better chance of getting heard and acted on by those in power.

Good luck.

yungatart
2nd February 2008, 14:20
Oh and post up slogans that you think will be effective on posters.

Peruse the Cheesecutter Resource thread, some slogans, pictures etc already in there.

Katman
2nd February 2008, 18:43
Seen what a farmer's barbed wire fence can do to a motorcyclist? What do you plan to do about them?

WelshWizard
3rd February 2008, 04:26
Hey guys,

Was just strolling through the threads and came across a few clips of what happens when bad "safety" barriers are used. I have a strong stomach but no one, absolutely no one deserves to go through the pain caused by illogically conceived barriers that do more harm than good. I've speeled and ranted to so many people, friends and family about wrb's to spread the word. Not many people care which sickens me. Well the government has been about not ignoring minorities and equality and fairness and all that so why the hell are they ignoring motorcyclists! I was thinking if no one wants to read or listen to why wrb's are bad why not show them. I'm pretty photoshop savvy but unfortunately don't ave it on my comp. I was thinking why not create some posters, not happy lovey dovey posters but hard hitting posters like the drink driving campaigns. Showing what happens to us when we hit one, to make the public realise it's not a dummy under the gear but a real fucking person with a family. Posters say with slogans that will catch peoples attention and pictures that will send shivers down their spine. So rich and poor people alike will sit up and go hey if my kid/dad/daughter etc was on a bike and that was them!....I will be happy to help out and help design such posters, if annyone with the software is willing we can do something. Plaster them everywhere, make poeple look as they obviously won't listen. Just an idea, rant over. My mum is getting her motorcycle licence, but i will be warning her of the dangers of the barriers. Makes me angry thinking about the hurt that families go through cos of cost cutting. Rant over, hope my idea is ok and we can help make a difference.
I would be happy to plaster them all over auckland.

Ride Safe

See you on the road

Drider

Plenty of info out there, I got some info from A friend in Holland, (Sorry had to change as RatBags can't be Id with what he does for a living, may cause him employment problems with his contract. so I have removed it)over there, but most of the stuff or info was in dutch but he has posted a few links to info in english on another subject,

the main thing we want is Banners as I will be trying to get a table up and running at the Pukekohe Classics and Paeroa, so any one who does get some poster together would help the cause.

Taz
3rd February 2008, 08:36
Seen what a farmer's barbed wire fence can do to a motorcyclist? What do you plan to do about them?

And trees too.... What are we gonna do about the trees? Why not slow down and ride/drive more safely? No that would mean we'd have to be responsible for our own actions eh? That'll never work! :msn-wink:

ital916
3rd February 2008, 08:51
Jeez, one problem at a time eh, just trying to help, still coming up with poster ideas, but the falcon is a good one to use. Lol don't worry, takes me ages to come up with ideas.

yungatart
3rd February 2008, 08:55
the main thing we want is Banners as I will be trying to get a table up and running at the Pukekohe Classics and Paeroa, so any one who does get some poster together would help the cause.

We are going to Paeroa in the cage, will bring the flags with us.

MSTRS
3rd February 2008, 09:56

And trees too.... What are we gonna do about the trees? Why not slow down and ride/drive more safely? No that would mean we'd have to be responsible for our own actions eh? That'll never work! :msn-wink:

Geez, you two are pathetic. Yes, rider responsibility is where it is at. But when a situation beyond the rider's control occurs, should they die as a result of a 'safety' system?
In general, trees and fences have a good separation from the flight path, which allows some options. And a tree is a limited-area impact zone surrounded by clear air. If they cause a particular problem, they are normally (re)moved.
A system of restraint, with no room to manoeuvre around, and presenting multiple impact points, is a very different animal.
If you can't accept that and support this campaign, then.....go away.

marty
3rd February 2008, 10:53

They sorted it out in France.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/europe/bikers-declare-war-on-the-french-plane-tree-665173.html

McDuck
3rd February 2008, 11:28

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/europe/bikers-declare-war-on-the-french-plane-tree-665173.html

That is so bloddy funny. and good to.

ital916
3rd February 2008, 12:00
Lol that is funny, but please nobody go and try cut a wrb unless you want to come across the dangerous phenomenon of a snapping high tensile steel wire.

RiderInBlack
3rd February 2008, 17:28

Nether of thoses have been put there for our "Safety" like the WRB's:Pokey: There are WBR's put on the side of roads where they are more of a risk to bikers and other road users than what they are supposed to protect us from. They have been put there using tax payers money for our "safety". Sooo wrong.

DEATH_INC.
3rd February 2008, 17:41

And trees too.... What are we gonna do about the trees? Why not slow down and ride/drive more safely? No that would mean we'd have to be responsible for our own actions eh? That'll never work!

Using the masses of wisdom you two have, why the f**k do we need barriers for at all then???? Let's get rid of 'em all and drive safely.....

DEATH_INC.
3rd February 2008, 17:43
Lol that is funny, but please nobody go and try cut a wrb unless you want to come across the dangerous phenomenon of a snapping high tensile steel wire.

Not really, it'll spring away from where ya cut it.....just stand directly behind the saw and yer safe as houses :devil2:
Note: this is not a recommendation to cut them down though...

yungatart
3rd February 2008, 17:51
Using the masses of wisdom you two have, why the f**k do we need barriers for at all then???? Let's get rid of 'em all and drive safely.....

....or we could just use them as our "test subjects"?:eek:

Dargor
3rd February 2008, 17:58
Posters are lame.
Get a giant piece of cheese and stick that on the cheesecutter. That'll get attention.

sunhuntin
4th February 2008, 12:03
Posters are lame.
Get a giant piece of cheese and stick that on the cheesecutter. That'll get attention.

seen the price of cheese lately? LOL.

im up for some stickers when and if they are avaliable. posters as well...

biggerbud
5th February 2008, 07:46
Bad barriers? where? mmmm never come across one.
All the barriers I've seen are not on the road and that's where I ride. Where do you ride??

avgas
5th February 2008, 08:09
Or you could not crash into them? Just a thought.
As dangerous as they sound, its a cost thing. And when its a cost thing - it means fuck all is going to get done.
So unless you want you bike rego to go over the grand mark to cover the costs, f-all is going to happen.
Cold Hard Facts

sunhuntin
5th February 2008, 08:21
Bad barriers? where? mmmm never come across one.
All the barriers I've seen are not on the road and that's where I ride. Where do you ride??

in wellington, they have em on the center line. i havent seen em placed like that down south, only on the left protecting lakes and such.

and avgas... its already been shown that concrete is cheaper over a 10 year period, so its not a cost thing at all.

MSTRS
5th February 2008, 08:34
Beware the little man with the clipboard...he will use statistics to show that replacing every lane marking line with a CC will save even more lives. :pinch:

sunhuntin
5th February 2008, 09:50
Beware the little man with the clipboard...he will use statistics to show that replacing every lane marking line with a CC will save even more lives. :pinch:

and ill follow behind with my own clipboard and a pair of wire cutters :angry2:

Pixie
5th February 2008, 10:28

There is a lot to be admired in the French.
Bloody anglos are content to sit in their shops (a nation of shopkeepers - Napoleon) and sip tea and have a good winge.

avgas
5th February 2008, 11:11
avgas... its already been shown that concrete is cheaper over a 10 year period, so its not a cost thing at all.
So are decent roads, cement foundation roads, improved rail, LED traffic signalling, iridium spark plugs, non-hybrids, writing down stuff instead of usually electronic media and red wine with Chocolate.
But i am keeping my mouth shut - as the only people who are complaining about barriers are the motorcyclist.
In the eyes of the gubbermint, spend more money on bike safe barriers or ban bikes!!!
While i agree that concrete is a good alternative, it also adds an extra 40% onto project costs. People bitch enough as it is about the cost of things.
Ironically the funny thing is i haven't heard of a case of a cheese cutter fence crashing into a bike yet? So using that theory i'm not going to crash into 1.
Riding is life or death. Removing 1 object off the road will not change this.
I personally do not understand the vendetta against cheese-cutters, when there are still going to be other drivers/riders, rocks, farm fences, power poles, animals, pot holes, acts of god, nails....... still on the road. Its not like the chees-cutters run across the road to attack you or anything.

MSTRS
5th February 2008, 11:43
Hear what you are saying Avgas....problem that a lot of us have with CC is quite obviously that a safety system that can make it more dangerous for some road users is not a safety system. And one that has a greater potential than other safety systems to maim or kill us has no place on our roads.

sunhuntin
5th February 2008, 13:19
crashing into ANYTHING is often out of our own control. if you get hit from behind and sent in the direction of a cutter, id love to hear how youd avoid it... specially considering a white painted line is about all that separates you when its on the left, and NOTHING separates you when its in the middle.

yes... all those things you mentioned are more expensive INITIALLY. id much rather pay more today and have the job done right, and still be reaping the benefits of that extra spent in 10 years time.

not crashing would be the best option, but in many cases, we dont get a choice in the matter, whether its other traffic, or debris on the road, or livestock running loose.

avgas
5th February 2008, 13:34
id much rather pay more today and have the job done right
Dont worry, i complete agree. But you live in NZ. Done right isnt taught here anymore. Done cheap is. I used to enjoy work in NZ, but i'm sick of NZ's lack of feeling for doing things 'right' or finishing a job. Every industry here is run by a big fat accountant. Good luck in convincing Transit in the barrier thing - many have tried to convince transit to do a good job since they took their first contract. I hear winning lotto is easier - so i'm going to do that instead.

motorbyclist
6th February 2008, 01:57
Posters are lame.

do a drive-by and chuck a sheep/pig carcass at one

that'd get a reaction:laugh:

but on a more serious note, perhaps if the general public realised that
1: you don't have to be speeding/drunk to crash; another driver or a blowout will suffice
2: those barriers do not stop trucks, can turn a potentially minor accident into a fatal one (see fairmont picture (http://www.cheesecutter.co.nz/images/CheeseCutterFalcon.jpg)) especially with WRBs on the left of roads
3: the WRBs are designed to have atleast 3 metres of space either side of them. in other countries one could sue LTNZ for not adhereing to manufacturer specs and thus being responsible for any injuries that a more suitable solution would've prevented

they'd give a toss. until then they don't really care

Patch
6th February 2008, 06:57
A coordinated approach, with strong relevance to all road users will gain the best result.
The issue should actually be about the barriers themselves not the carnage to us, because as the drunk driver ads showed, people turn off very quickly to that kind of thing.
If it's shown to affect all users, and have bad consequences, it has a much better chance of getting heard and acted on by those in power.

Good luck.

Exactly what Mack has stated.

Since when are we motorcyclists a minority. We are much more than just that. All things should be taken into account, most of us also drive trucks, cars, bicycles more often than we ride our bikes. So when all facts considered, we are not likely to be a minority. We are motorists - plain and simple, and it should be marketed as such.

WelshWizard
23rd March 2008, 10:22
Agreed! I will pencil up some ideas tonight and get started on some poster designs tomorrow. Will try multiple images, car and bikes alike. We all share the road, we should all be aware of how stupid the barriers are. If anyone else is keen or has any good images just pm me. Also give a note if the images are graphic.

How are the poster ideas comeing along?