PDA

View Full Version : ive turbo'd my gsxr250rr now the clutch has gone.

oldhoon01
4th February 2008, 17:25
the have always had a problem finding info on my bike (gj73a) and i want to know if there is a difference in the clutches between this and earlier models (gj72a). i would like to have the bits ready so i can do a straight swap as i ride it every day.

Sketchy_Racer
4th February 2008, 17:26
pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Dog
4th February 2008, 17:29
Not exactly a surprise. When you up the ante you tend to find that the next weakest link goes.
You may need to talk to a someone who knows about a stronger clutch or better pads.

BNC? (Brake N Clutch)

ArcherWC
4th February 2008, 17:30
even stronger clutch springs would help (though it will make the clutch pull that much harder as well)

dangerous
4th February 2008, 17:37
Not exactly a surprise. When you up the ante you tend to find that the next weakest link goes.
You may need to talk to a someone who knows about a stronger clutch or better pads.

BNC? (Brake N Clutch)

yip sort the clutch and it will be something else, I expect you are boosting very little?
and yeah... pics plz

Big Dog
4th February 2008, 17:51
yip sort the clutch and it will be something else, I expect you are boosting very little?
and yeah... pics plz

I expect the next thing would be his 250 appropriate cogs and chain are no longer strong enough. What do you reckon?

ArcherWC
4th February 2008, 17:56
520 conversion LOL

bugjuice
4th February 2008, 18:01
muzzy clutch = more power!!

dangerous
4th February 2008, 18:13
I expect the next thing would be his 250 appropriate cogs and chain are no longer strong enough. What do you reckon?

Im not sure if the Suzuki 250/4's are gear driven cams like the other 250/4's but a prepeared turbo engine as you would know has a lower compresion (not that I would expect a 250/4 to have SFA anyway, stronger clutch, smaller valves and usually forged pistons etc... but hell love the fact this guy is doing it and not just talking bout it.
altho I see he owns a XJ turb, so hes on the case.

Kickaha
4th February 2008, 18:31
but a prepeared turbo engine as you would know has a lower compresion (not that I would expect a 250/4 to have SFA anyway,

Most of the 250/4 are 12-1 + so they're probably higher than your Italian tractor and probably a bit high to run any decent boost without problems

unrealone
4th February 2008, 18:35
Heh, so now it might just go faster than all the other 250s (bar a hyosung) ;)

*couldn't resist*

dangerous
4th February 2008, 18:42
Most of the 250/4 are 12-1 + so they're probably higher than your Italian tractor and probably a bit high to run any decent boost without problems
hows that when thy rev out to 18,000rpm and my thing is only 8,000rpm... I always figgered it was compresion that slows the revs down?

FzerozeroT
4th February 2008, 18:43
and the clutch would probably be sacrificial, if you make it beefier you'll break something more expensive!, how many k's on the clutch before you turboed it?

limbimtimwim
4th February 2008, 18:43
Apparently the GSXR250RR (With the 4 carbs instead of the two dual throat ones like most GSXR250s) is one seriously fast little machine. Perhaps the fastest 250 4 ever..?

There is one at TSS here in Wellington at the moment, and it looks very cool.

Oh yeah.. PICS of your bike good sir would be awesome, I'd love to see what you have done.

koba
4th February 2008, 18:47
Suzuki GSXR250 is chain driven cam in the centre.
Arse to change the chain!

Dunno anthing about this one but "rapid" magazine had a small write up on a Yamaha zeal that had a tiny turbo of a 600cc Kei car on it.
Wastegate was welded closed and turbo let to run to full natural boost which was 18psi!
Boxed carbs with auxillary injectors and intercooled with fuel running back from the injector rails being routed around the carb box.
Had upgraded gernerator of an FZR600 to run the injectors, fuel pump and the clutch came from the FZR600 aswell.

The work was done by s&r pro in Australia.

33 hp at the rear upped to 105 or so?

12.7 standing quarter!

I guess it may be obvious I love the turbo 250 idea...

PICS!

koba
4th February 2008, 18:49
Apparently the GSXR250RR (With the 4 carbs instead of the two dual throat ones like most GSXR250s) is one seriously fast little machine. Perhaps the fastest 250 4 ever..?

Oh yeah.. PICS of your bike good sir would be awesome, I'd love to see what you have done.

Nice techy alloy frame too, Ive been perving at that one.
My brother was keen on on at some point. maybe I can talk him into it... :shifty:

onearmedbandit
4th February 2008, 18:58
hows that when thy rev out to 18,000rpm and my thing is only 8,000rpm... I always figgered it was compresion that slows the revs down?

I thought it was the valve train mostly, ie a heavier valve train will reduce the rev ceiling. I could however be completely wrong.

homer
4th February 2008, 19:02
i know everyone wants more power ,but do you think that a bikes actually made for the power it produces ......with in reason.
im not suggesting that bikes cant be worked
but as i know you used to be able to get a 800cc kit for a xt 400 yammy
but then the gearbox used to eat its self .

So its like go figure
apparently the bandit 1200 cant have a lot more hp added either or it eats the clutch.

Ixion
4th February 2008, 19:11

Compression won't affect revs. RPM is limited either by (a) when the bottom end blows apart; (b) the valves won't follow the cams any more - can't open and close quickly enough - hence why mutli valve heads USUALLY rev higher than two valve heads (c) can't get enough fuel mix through the inlet tract to rev any higher (d) the electrics can't produce sparks quickly enough. Two strokes are a bit different. As always. We're specthul

skidMark
5th February 2008, 07:12
You're problem is the turbo, i tell ya what i will take it off ya hands for free and you can make ur bike back to stock.

Hey, it was worth a shot right? :crybaby:

skidMark
5th February 2008, 07:14
I thought it was the valve train mostly, ie a heavier valve train will reduce the rev ceiling. I could however be completely wrong.

smaller pistons...less surface area thus less overall friction

thus it can rev faster.:cool:

FilthyLuka
5th February 2008, 08:37
smaller pistons...less surface area thus less overall friction

thus it can rev faster.:cool:

So why do over-squared pistons rev faster? wide diameter, short stroke. Large diameter = large amount of piston in contact with bore = large amount of friction = slower revving by your logic.

Formula 1 cars are oversquared to balls and they rev like a sonofabitch

snot
5th February 2008, 10:58
Less stroke == less piston speed... too fast and the pistons will melt.

At least someone is on the money..

MidnightMike
5th February 2008, 11:15
Heh, so now it might just go faster than all the other 250s (bar a hyosung) ;)

Bar a Hyosung?? 0.0

They are really quick little things.

I used to ride with someone who had one, accelerated damn quick and sounded wicked when doing so (factory exhaust)

Too bad he had so much problems with it.

deanohit
5th February 2008, 11:34
Suzuki GSXR250 is chain driven cam in the centre.
Arse to change the chain!

Dunno anthing about this one but "rapid" magazine had a small write up on a Yamaha zeal that had a tiny turbo of a 600cc Kei car on it.
Wastegate was welded closed and turbo let to run to full natural boost which was 18psi!
Boxed carbs with auxillary injectors and intercooled with fuel running back from the injector rails being routed around the carb box.
Had upgraded gernerator of an FZR600 to run the injectors, fuel pump and the clutch came from the FZR600 aswell.

The work was done by s&r pro in Australia.

33 hp at the rear upped to 105 or so?

12.7 standing quarter!

I guess it may be obvious I love the turbo 250 idea...

PICS!
Here we go::niceone:

Eddieb
5th February 2008, 12:13

I owned one for 2 years back in the day and loved it, 17,000 rpm for 50,000km's all over NZ and not an issue, including Hamilton to the Idaburn dam in the South Island for the Brass Monkey. At Mainfeld I could pull about 6 bike lengths over a standard gsxr250 down the front straight and I only sold it to fund a ticket overseas.

Check out how the clutch compares to an early RGV or M,N model designation gsxr 400, it may sound odd but there are a lot of shared components between those and early RGV's & 400's running gear wise so who knows. Brake calipers, forks, wheels, instruments and all sorts could be swapped between those models.

oldhoon01
5th February 2008, 14:28
back again will post pics as soon as i finish the repaint and get my camera back just for all the doubters out there. mines not quite running 18 psi but still waiting for headgasket and rings to turn up so we will see after that hope to be able to get it to next bike rally comin up down here just look out for the turbo'd honda 400 custom lux ill be next to it.

dangerous
5th February 2008, 16:46
look out for the turbo'd honda 400 custom lux ill be next to it.

hahahaha... this one ya mean?

oldhoon01
7th February 2008, 18:10
haha dats the one top left of the photo bald chubby guy no shirt on thats ross my boss.

Coyote
7th February 2008, 18:23
Could you tell us about the actual turbo build? What was the turbo off? Did it yourself or got some fabricators to sort it for you? How much did everything cost?

Most people with 250's talk about it but hardly anyone actually does it

YellowDog
7th February 2008, 18:47
When I was at school in the 1970s, mates would fit Turbo chargers to their 2-stroke 125s & 250s.

Shocks weren't up to the power.

Tyres weren't up to the power.

Drive chains weren't up to the power.

Riders weren't up to the power.

Lost a few mates through their total stupidity.

I know this isn't the same however do be careful.

FilthyLuka
7th February 2008, 21:44
this thread is useless without pics

dangerous
8th February 2008, 05:04
this thread is useless without pics

why... cant you read?

unrealone
8th February 2008, 16:14
Bar a Hyosung?? 0.0

They are really quick little things.

I used to ride with someone who had one, accelerated damn quick and sounded wicked when doing so (factory exhaust)

Too bad he had so much problems with it.

Sorry, the wink was meant to indicate sarcasm :)

The Pastor
10th February 2008, 08:12
why... cant you read?
I can't read thats for sure. Show us some photos!

oldhoon01
10th February 2008, 15:46
the turbo is off a japanese super and turbod kei car(read very small) exactly the same as the one previously mentioned in this thread the bike is an ongoing project and is not completely finished yet and price if you have to ask you cant afford trust me.

oldhoon01
10th February 2008, 15:49
o and yes did all fabrication myself only way to make it work. and yes the pictures are coming.

James Deuce
10th February 2008, 15:49

Nope, max piston speed. Metallurgy has everything to do with it, compression very little. The pistons are tiny, the stroke is short, so the conrods are correspondingly low in mass. The have to stop and reverse at TDC and BDC and the rods stretch and gudgeon pins bow. The less mass to reverse the lesser the force, but to make any power you have to rev the tits off them.

mark247
10th February 2008, 19:56
Cant wait to see this!

dangerous
10th February 2008, 20:38
What is it with you doubting Thomas's? whats so hard to believe about a turbo on a 250, DieselPig has one on a CB100 :scooter:

onearmedbandit
10th February 2008, 20:57
What doubting Thomas's? Maybe Coyotes post, that's it. Others are just enthused and want to see pics. Like me.

Kickaha
10th February 2008, 21:36
What is it with you doubting Thomas's? whats so hard to believe about a turbo on a 250, DieselPig has one on a CB100 :scooter:

No he doesn't, he's doing something much more interesting

dangerous
11th February 2008, 04:50
No he doesn't, he's doing something much more interesting
Yeah Supercharging it now, the blower hes got used to be on a XN85, its a small world.

What doubting Thomas's? Maybe Coyotes post, that's it. Others are just enthused and want to see pics. Like me.

Wrong fish, back in the water with you :pinch:

Coyote
11th February 2008, 13:11
I didn't doubt, I'm just amazed that someone on here has done it. Keep on hearing others asking about it, even did so myself in the noob days on here ;)

bimotabob
13th February 2008, 20:08
Hi,

They are awesome looking trick bikes esp the SP ones but be very careful with it as those engines are hand grenades.
The GSXR250RR drop valves and lunch them selves - heard this from two different motorcycle mechanics one at a wreckers and one at another shop that sold one to a female staff member. It cost them many thousands a few years back.

Best to stick with a CBR250, but I guess it's too late now.

Good luck.

Regards

breakaway
14th February 2008, 10:05
Why is it bad to turbo a smaller engine than a bigger one? Is it because the smaller engines can't handle the stress easily? Can't you get forged pistons etc for smaller bikes as well?

oldhoon01
15th February 2008, 10:42
gsxr250rr's are as much a hand grenade as anything else that does 18500 rpm all day, ive heard the same story all the time there crap, there unreliable, they blow up, but i have never had any sort of problem even when i turbo'd it just keep the mantanince up. and in regards to the last post 250's are harder to turbo cause they arnt as strong yes but they are more fun and thus worth it.

skidMark
15th February 2008, 10:54
Why is it bad to turbo a smaller engine than a bigger one? Is it because the smaller engines can't handle the stress easily? Can't you get forged pistons etc for smaller bikes as well?

Um you can't even get stock pistons anymore.

Kawasaki NZ cannot even get them for my ZXR.

None left in Japan. :(:buggerd:

deanohit
15th February 2008, 11:47
Um you can't even get stock pistons anymore.

Kawasaki NZ cannot even get them for my ZXR.

None left in Japan. :(:buggerd:

ZXR250s are a hand grenade motor! Didn't you know that man!

koba
15th February 2008, 11:54
gsxr250rr's are as much a hand grenade as anything else that does 18500 rpm all day, ive heard the same story all the time there crap, there unreliable, they blow up, but i have never had any sort of problem even when i turbo'd it just keep the mantanince up. and in regards to the last post 250's are harder to turbo cause they arnt as strong yes but they are more fun and thus worth it.

My old GSXR 250 did 102,000km untill the speedo cable snapped, then more spinning to a redline of 61,500 rpm.
Sometimes saw 20,000.
Blew a head gasket, when I fixed that It looked mint inside.
It is still a functioning bike now.

16,500 sound like a lot of revs but it only had a 33mm stroke so the piston speed would have been lower than most modern bigger bikes.

speedpro
17th February 2008, 09:11
Yeah Supercharging it now, the blower hes got used to be on a XN85, its a small world.

XN85s were a 650cc bike that supposedly made 85hp, hence the name. They were turbo'd. Someone must have converted it.

Kickaha
17th February 2008, 09:20
XN85s were a 650cc bike that supposedly made 85hp, hence the name. They were turbo'd. Someone must have converted it.

Someone did after the turbo shit itself

dangerous
17th February 2008, 18:15
Someone did after the turbo shit itself

not quite...

Yeah I know mate.. got one in the garage (see pic) havent you been up with my XN thread? the guy that just re built part of the exhaust had a XN, the ECU was blowen so the turbo and injection was out of order... so he put a supercharger and carb on it... that super charger is now for Neils CB100.

diesel pig
17th February 2008, 19:19
that super charger is now for Neils CB100.

No it isn't

So stop talking out your ass D:oi-grr:

dangerous
17th February 2008, 19:43
No it isn't

So stop talking out your ass D:oi-grr:

well look who it is... were the fuk you been fluffy?
so you brought it for the CB due to the oil presure problems... now whats ya plans?

crazyxr250rider
17th February 2008, 19:48
LoL:girlfight:

classic zed
18th February 2008, 22:45
Turbo's are fun, Iv added one to my spare Z1300, I had to remake the frame to strenghten it up a bit and beef up the swing arm, add zx12r forks, brakes and wheels along with a Hyabusa rear shock.
I put the turbo behind the engine cos it keeps it out of the way, turbo is a custom build made from a Subaru WRX STi 5, apparently the turbo is good for 245 bhp, not that I expect to produce that from the Z engine :devil2:

dangerous
19th February 2008, 05:00
Turbo's are fun, Iv added one to my spare Z1300

very very farking cool man :2thumbsup

deanohit
19th February 2008, 07:26
Turbo's are fun, Iv added one to my spare Z1300,

So are you going to make the bike look old school or what?
Got an awesome starting point for a street fighter there!

classic zed
19th February 2008, 17:15
So are you going to make the bike look old school or what?
Got an awesome starting point for a street fighter there!

Street fighter has to be the right way to go, Im not going to use the original tank, I'll make a new one to look the way I want it to, have to make the side panels, tail section and fairing too, all I have to do is decide on the right look :confused:

Looks better with handlebars though :niceone:

dangerous
19th February 2008, 17:35
Im not going to use the original tank, I'll Oh no, ya have to keep the tank and the colour but yeah I like the pipe set up.

deanohit
19th February 2008, 18:57
Street fighter has to be the right way to go,
Awesome man, do you have more pics and are you going to start a thread on it? :drool:

classic zed
19th February 2008, 22:36
Awesome man, do you have more pics and are you going to start a thread on it? :drool:

I did a while ago. :done:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59365

deanohit
19th February 2008, 22:39
I did a while ago. :done:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59365

Cheers, time to look at pics of the pretty bike! :headbang: