PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lube

manuboy
17th November 2004, 20:31
Woo hooo!

Number 1 product review in the New and Improved Bikes and Products thread!

Today Ladies and Gentlemen,

Chain Lube - for those of us with no shafts (i mean umm..., well, you know....and you trendy bastards with Scott Oilers can bugger off too)

Cleaning and maintaining a chain is awesome, if you're a masocist.
Ah, first up is "Chain Lube", from Golden Spectro. Its oil / lpg based, and O-Ring safe. It's a bit of a shitter this one i reckon. Cleaned my chain using the good ol Kero, dried it, took it for a short run to heat the chain, put it on, and within 700-800 kms my chain was dead dry (had rust spots!). Rim and entire rear of bike coated in black spooge. 3/10.

Next up, "Chain Wax (and cable lube)" from Maxima. Wax based and O-ring safe. This stuff (so far) is the shizzer. Normally take the bike for a ten minute quick run after letting the lube "set" to dislodge the worst of the spooge , with this stuff i got back and never even had to wipe a surface, and i'm a fussy fussy fussy bastard. Chain is nice and "lubey" looking. Will tell more after this weekends rally in Timaru.

Next Installment: Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen.

Rock (ride) on!

Reviews wanted for Scott Oilers (you bastards) and K&N Filters (air / oil)

MikeL
17th November 2004, 21:46
Reviews wanted for Scott Oilers (you bastards)

You don't need any reviews of the Scottoiler. Anyone who's had one raves about them. :2thumbsup

NC
17th November 2004, 21:48
That chainwax is good stuff

manuboy
18th November 2004, 07:00
You don't need any reviews of the Scottoiler. Anyone who's had one raves about them. :2thumbsup

bastard. What about installation / tuning it?

Blakamin
18th November 2004, 07:12
Glad I read that... was looking at that spectro stuff last saturday, but there were so many others to choose from, I gave it a miss... chain wax it is then!

MikeL
18th November 2004, 07:23
What about installation / tuning it?

The booklet that comes with the kit has comprehensive installation instructions. Anyone with half an ounce of mechanical knowhow can do it.
Which is why I got Mt Eden Motorcycles to do mine...

The only maintenance, apart from refilling the reservoir (even I can do that myself) is to fine-tune the flow rate. It takes a bit of experimentation to get the best rate, and you need to change it slightly between winter and summer because of the change in viscosity as the temperature rises or falls, but it's not a hassle. The idea is to get maximum oil on the chain with minimum fling. After mine was installed within a week or so I noticed a buildup of goop on the swing arm and wheel, so turned the flow down a notch and now it's about right.

About the only disagreement the Scottoiler provokes is whether it's worth paying extra for the larger oil reservoir - it does complicate the installation somewhat, but if you are touring and don't want to carry the refill bottle with you it's a good idea.

manuboy
18th November 2004, 07:31
Mike.... scott oiler now on my wish list. Might go for the twin delivery one!

Slingshot
18th November 2004, 08:16
How many KMs do you actually get out of the standard kit before you have to re-fill? I too have been thinking about getting one but if I have to re-fill it every 100 KMs then it might be too much hassell.

vifferman
18th November 2004, 09:13
I use Spectro chainwax - it's good too, and smells nice (most important), and dries clear, so people can admire your bike's chain's coloured sideplates.:msn-wink:

Other stuff I've tried:
Shell Motorcycle Chain Lube - incredibly tacky, so it gathers up all the road spooge within a few metres of the bike, keeping the road clean as you pass by. Also useful for sticking things on the bike, or stopping your pillion sliding off during wheelies.
WD40: good for cleaning the chain, and quick lubing. No good for decent lubing.
80/90W Gear Oil: Recommended by most bike manufacturers, but horrible and messy, unless used with a Scottoiler. Dries to a nice gungey-looking black, so good for treating your bikey leathers.

By the way - when applying chain wax, make sure you wipe the excess off the chain, and leave it at least overnight to dry.

K&N aifilters seem to me to be over-rated, and bought by people mainly for the hype. (Or maybe the stickers). They're very expensive, and can cause tuning problems on many bikes. F'rinstance, the general consensus on most FireStorm forums is to stay away from them, as they make proper jetting a real bitch, and don't actually produce any significant gains.
I'm hoping my VFR has a Unifilter and not a K&N...:confused2
If it has a standard airfilter, I'll convert it to a Uni quicksmart, and at no (zero) cost. :headbang:

mangell6
18th November 2004, 18:47
Mike.... scott oiler now on my wish list. Might go for the twin delivery one!

If I did it again I would.

How many KMs do you actually get out of the standard kit before you have to re-fill? I too have been thinking about getting one but if I have to re-fill it every 100 KMs then it might be too much hassell.

I get 3-4000km, my dial is set a notch above the one mark. Summer and winter temperatures make a big difference as does llooooonnngggg distance riding. Only on my second chain and have completed 65,000kms.

How many k's between manual chain lubings with wax, oil, etc. For me it used to be the when I remembered k's.

Kendog
21st November 2004, 08:57
The booklet that comes with the kit has comprehensive installation instructions. Anyone with half an ounce of mechanical knowhow can do it.
Which is why I got Mt Eden Motorcycles to do mine...

The only maintenance, apart from refilling the reservoir (even I can do that myself) is to fine-tune the flow rate. It takes a bit of experimentation to get the best rate, and you need to change it slightly between winter and summer because of the change in viscosity as the temperature rises or falls, but it's not a hassle. The idea is to get maximum oil on the chain with minimum fling. After mine was installed within a week or so I noticed a buildup of goop on the swing arm and wheel, so turned the flow down a notch and now it's about right.

About the only disagreement the Scottoiler provokes is whether it's worth paying extra for the larger oil reservoir - it does complicate the installation somewhat, but if you are touring and don't want to carry the refill bottle with you it's a good idea.

My bike came with a Scottoiler installed, but no instructions.
I am guessing the last owner had it down really low, then I tried turning it up a little but I think I turned it the wrong way :doh:
I asked the bike shop about it when it was being serviced, they cranked it up to get rid of the air in the line and get the oil flowing again, which worked great but now the bike was getting a bit messy :pinch:

Now I have it right down again and I am looking for the right setting.

Question, what kind of oil should be used in these, it has not run out yet but when it does what should I use?

JohnBoy
23rd November 2004, 19:25
K&N aifilters seem to me to be over-rated, and bought by people mainly for the hype. (Or maybe the stickers).
i only ever thought that K&N's would only work well on high performace motors. i was told to take off your stock filter and if it made a difference then a K&N is for you.

but, i must say that i use the sikolene titanium gel lube. its pretty good, but really messy. i have once used the Belray chain lube, was really awsome. it stuck hard with little mess but, i havent been able to find a shop in hamilton that sells it. :bash: .

Pickle
23rd November 2004, 20:45
Scott oilers are definetly the way to go, started with the single injector but could not get both sides of the chain oiled properly without oiling the back of the bike as well, so changed to twin injector. Set the flow and have not touched it since, bottle lasts approx 2500kms. Have them on both ZX6s.
We are still using Scott chain oil and when that runs out will probably go with a heavy weight oil.

Generally use Motul chain oil on the trail bikes which seems to stay on the chain quite well, or we use whatever we have won at rallies and at the moment we have about a years supply. Free is always the best! :niceone:

BUBBLE
23rd November 2004, 21:45
I use wax, good stuff, normally leave it over night to dry.

BUBBLE
23rd November 2004, 21:46
Wax good for over 1000k's, only really needed to rewax after cleaning.

swanman
24th November 2004, 19:18
I currently use the Tac 2 stuff. You get it everywhere. It seems to work well! Which surprises me as it is not designed for motorcycles.
I had a scottoiler on previous bike and yes it seems to be a good system. On a sports bike it looks a bit involved but it is just "fill and forget." :bleh:

750Y
25th November 2004, 06:13
wooohooo!
good work ManuBoy.
Chain Wax for me now!!
I hate cleaning my bike(actually I don't clean my bike lol).

AMPS
25th November 2004, 09:22
I am guessing the last owner had it down really low, then I tried turning it up a little but I think I turned it the wrong way :doh:
I asked the bike shop about it when it was being serviced, they cranked it up to get rid of the air in the line and get the oil flowing again, which worked great but now the bike was getting a bit messy :pinch:

Question, what kind of oil should be used in these, it has not run out yet but when it does what should I use?

Use Scotoil standard, the blue stuff not red. I've heard some bad reports about the red (high temp) oil.
Lou

AMPS
25th November 2004, 09:25

Scott do an auxiliary reservoir called a lube tube, holds another 200 ml of oil and can be tucked away under the seat. $59.00
Lou

AMPS
25th November 2004, 09:28

Try setting it at 30 - 40 seconds between drips, fine tune according to whether the chain looks dry or if oil is flinging over the wheel.
Lou

festus
25th November 2004, 09:56
I've tried almost everything, even vintage car oil, that I literally had to spoon out of the bottle, it was that thick. I've persevered with the wax, but as said above, it tends to collect all kinds of crap and makes cleaning the chain more difficult. All the oils I've tried, inc the 90 weight diff oils, still tend to flick everywhere once things heat up. This is where the wax has an advantage.

Festus

Kendog
25th November 2004, 17:40
Use Scotoil standard, the blue stuff not red. I've heard some bad reports about the red (high temp) oil.
Lou
It has the red oil now, will switch to Blue when its run out and see if there is a difference.

Kendog
25th November 2004, 17:43
Try setting it at 30 - 40 seconds between drips, fine tune according to whether the chain looks dry or if oil is flinging over the wheel.
Lou
My understanding is the oil flow is dictated by the rev's (higher revs higher flow) and by the Scottoiler settting. Is this correct?

Or is it simply when the bike is running the oil will flow based on the Scottoiler setting?

F5 Dave
26th November 2004, 11:31
I didn’t see any need for the reservoir; you do at least 2000km on a fill.

Plutoline is my fax chain lube & I’ve tried a few. The Maxima wax reeks if you need to transport the bike in the van.

Marmoot
26th November 2004, 12:46
for Lube, I always use the good KY because noth......eh? chain?
:blink:

F5 Dave
26th November 2004, 13:42
Well it lasts longer than Probe, is cheaper & less ‘goopy’.

Kendog
13th January 2005, 11:41
Lou

The red oil has run out and I have changed to the blue, it does seeem to be working much better :2thumbsup

Slow flow rate so its not making a mess on the bike, and should not run out in a hurry.
The chain seems to be better oiled e.g. the oil looks to be on both sides of the chain now.

Sensei
13th January 2005, 15:41
You should check out this " KryTech Wax Lubricant " by FinishLine .
Uses DuPont Krytox technology . No Oily film. Parts stay totally clean Speclaised waxes ensue maximum cleanliness by setting up dry & shedding grit before it turns to grinding paste > All you do is put bottle into some hot water for 5min then pour onto chain . Set's as you watch into softwax & doesn't fly off . You buy it throught montainbike shop's or you bike shop should beable to get some in . Have tryed every type of O/ring chain oil,s spray's, wax's , & would have to say this is top,s .
If you have a gold side plate chain which you like to show of then this is the Stuff as it doesn't go all dirty or oily so chain keeps clean & lubed . :banana:
SENSEI :yes:

**R1**
13th January 2005, 16:51
I use the maxima chain wax ...seems good ie: nice and clean(coz i 2 am a fussy fussy bastard when it comes to my bike) and the chain always seems lubed, but i did read (cant remember in what publication) that in a back to back tests with wax and oil that the o-ring chain they were using lasted 40% longer under the same conditions with oil, as oposed to wax, but i like nice shiny wheels :) so wax it is, on the dirt bike i use mud coz nuthin else seems to stay there too long :no:

wari
13th January 2005, 17:17
I JUst bought 5 forda price of 4 loobmans ... :yeah:

STrangely e-nough ... now that they've arrived inda post .. the ex-citement of gettingem has gone ... strange butt :moon: true ..

HAppy birthday fur this year everyone .. :spudwave:

LOobman (http://www.chainoiler.co.uk)

Blakamin
13th January 2005, 17:28
I JUst bought 5 forda price of 4 loobmans ... :yeah:

STrangely e-nough ... now that they've arrived inda post .. the ex-citement of gettingem has gone ... strange butt :moon: true ..

HAppy birthday fur this year everyone .. :spudwave:

LOobman (http://www.chainoiler.co.uk)
did ya get them from pommie-land???

wari
13th January 2005, 17:31
did ya get them from pommie-land???

AYe ladd .. AYe didd :spudwave:

Blakamin
13th January 2005, 17:34
AYe ladd .. AYe didd :spudwave:
hmm...look like a good idea for us cheapo barstards like myself!!!

wari
13th January 2005, 17:43
hmm...look like a good idea for us cheapo barstards like myself!!!

AYe ladd ... Aye ,,, :yeah:

IF I getta round to installing one ofem ... I'll letya know ...

Blakamin
13th January 2005, 17:48
AYe ladd ... Aye ,,, :yeah:

IF I getta round to installing one ofem ... I'll letya know ...
kewl!!!!!!!

Al
15th January 2005, 00:18
Have scottoiler on my bike, no problems, do not know how easy/difficult the fitting is as it was fitted by previous owner.
If you have the spare (hahaha) money, fit one

Al

Biff
11th February 2005, 12:41
Good review Manuboy,

I'm a big Scottoiler fan, and installed myself one on my last bike, a CBR 600RR. It was quite easy to fit, although I did need to ask the local bike shop to point out my vacuum pipe (?) for me, as I had to tap into it. I always used blue, not through choice but because until 30 seconds ago I didn't realise they did a red lube.

This vacuum does all the donkey work in terms of causing the oil to drip on the chain. There was an adjuster on the top of the Scottoiler which regulated the flow. I found that setting 5 was about right for me.

Wax oil - is the dogs danglies. I was however, surprised to find that it does flick - a bit. But far less than all of the other lubes I've tried in the past. maybe I'm putting to much on :spudwhat:

But a Scottoiler is on my wish list for the latest bike.