PDA

View Full Version : Helmet whisper kits?

banditrider
6th February 2008, 09:51
Anyone got one of these: http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=3472

Are they any good or do they just a make it more of a hassle getting ya helmet on & off? Can you still wear a neck warmer?

johnnyflash
6th February 2008, 10:04
I have a similar product called the Windjammer, around 19 quid from england, does the job, and yes it does make the helmet a tiny bit harder to put on.
http://proline-sports.co.uk/acatalog/UK_Wind_jammer_21.html does do the trick in noisy helmets for comms etc...

banditrider
6th February 2008, 10:27
Thanks for that. Yeah, I've been reading about your Blueant comms gear - it sounds pretty good but I like to wear ear plugs. Do you still wear ear plugs with the windjammer? I hate wind noise...especially on a long ride.

Mental Trousers
6th February 2008, 11:05
Works well. Only problem is in the summer it can get a bit warm inside the helmet, even with all the vents open.

Big Dog
6th February 2008, 11:17
I choose to wear a bandanna instead of ear plugs.
Just over chin and tucked in to my jacket.
More effective than ear plugs for wind noise and still allow me to hear the band of four horny angels singing between my thighs.

Silk works best but is fucking warm.
Wool makes the noise muffle but is not very effective and can be warm.
Cotton works well and is not hot or cold.

Currently I use a Cancer foundation bandanna. Works a treat and the money goes to a good cause, I do plan to buy more.

To get it to work best, tie it over your nose like you plan to rob a bank, put your helmet on and tie chinstrap, then pull the bandanna below your lip. In winter I leave it over my nose and pull some the other way.
You are looking to have a baggy bit at the front, with it over your lip it is warmer and the fogging is less, however, if you use cotton in winter it gets wet and becomes cold after about 20 mins. Silk somehow gets wet but gets warmer. I don't know how but it does.

Mort
17th February 2008, 23:20
I use a "Buff" neck scarf thing - and ear plus - the scarf makes quite a difference (you notice when you dont wear it..

johnnyflash
18th February 2008, 00:01
Thanks for that. Yeah, I've been reading about your Blueant comms gear - it sounds pretty good but I like to wear ear plugs. Do you still wear ear plugs with the windjammer? I hate wind noise...especially on a long ride.

Ive not wprn earplugs for years, U have my bluetooth in side of helmet and a wired Navman earpiece on other side, both speakers/earphones sit just against my ears, I got the Windjammer for the wifes helmet as her helmet has quite a gap between chin and helmet and let quite a bit of wind noise into the helmet which I was hearing, with that fitted its as as quiet as a grave yard. If youh have a shoei helmet they have a built in whisper kit performs the same task, I doubt those whisper kits would fit non shoei helmets though.

banditrider
18th February 2008, 18:15
Ive not wprn earplugs for years, U have my bluetooth in side of helmet and a wired Navman earpiece on other side, both speakers/earphones sit just against my ears, I got the Windjammer for the wifes helmet as her helmet has quite a gap between chin and helmet and let quite a bit of wind noise into the helmet which I was hearing, with that fitted its as as quiet as a grave yard. If youh have a shoei helmet they have a built in whisper kit performs the same task, I doubt those whisper kits would fit non shoei helmets though.

Hopefully a whisper kit (late xmas present) is winging it's way to me as we speak. My helmet is a Shoei & the whisper kit is specific to it and a $65 accessory. Will post after I've tried it out.

Winter
18th February 2008, 18:34
What sort of Lid do you have? a Shoei __________?

banditrider
18th February 2008, 18:40
Shoei XR-1000

Winter
18th February 2008, 19:08
Me too. I'm sure it feels louder than my old cheap HJC.

Will be interested to hear how quiet you find it.

Revit
18th February 2008, 21:41
I have one and it works well definantly reduces noise further (I also wear plugs).Does slightly increase tightness and it can pay to use a pinlock (anti fog) visor. Certainly is warmer. I use a Shoei XR1000

Gremlin
20th February 2008, 02:46
Got the whisper kit and breath guard for my XR-1000. Definitely a large difference between no earplugs, with and without the kit. With the custom moulded plugs, the whisper kit does cut down on the noise a touch more.

Getting in and out of the helmet is... interesting, to say the least. Suffice to say, if I put it on, it stays on for a while. Back of the whisper kit is handy for storing the HARD receiver too.

The kit itself seems to be very good quality. Once installed, it stays in, I've never had it pull out or anything, and it requires a lot of leverage to get the helmet off my head, so the kit will definitely stay in. Only annoying part with having both parts is an itchy nose... can't get to it from either way, unless I push past the nose guard.

banditrider
20th February 2008, 17:24
Thanks for that - good info. I've got custom plugs too and will probably try with & without them just to see what difference the kit makes.

bugjuice
20th February 2008, 17:59
i've been thinking about getting one for a while.. i used my last pair of ear plugs a while ago and not got round to buying more. I think I've become accustomed to the wind noise again. So a Whisper kit could be a goer..
I'll be watchin the space

Unit
20th February 2008, 18:05
Anyone got one of these: http://www.motoretail.co.nz/product.cfm?ID=3472

Are they any good or do they just a make it more of a hassle getting ya helmet on & off? Can you still wear a neck warmer?
Yep sure do, there brilliant, and yes I do where a neck warmer, but not as much now I have my Chillout shirt, which zips up high at the neck, add some heated hand grips and Im toasty as, dont give a shit about the shit, Im into comfort.
But yes, recommend the whisper kit and the nose cover. Dont have any hassles getting helmet on and off, easy as.

Gremlin
20th February 2008, 18:17
Thanks for that - good info. I've got custom plugs too and will probably try with & without them just to see what difference the kit makes.
Plugz 4 Lugz?

Maybe its only me, but I find that when I pull the helmet off, the whisper kit pulls the ear plugs out. They bounce real well, and while trying to make everything black, dark grey ear plugs are a right bastard to find on the road etc :wacko:

banditrider
20th February 2008, 18:26
Plugz 4 Lugz?

Maybe its only me, but I find that when I pull the helmet off, the whisper kit pulls the ear plugs out. They bounce real well, and while trying to make everything black, dark grey ear plugs are a right bastard to find on the road etc :wacko:

I went for blue....

Hammer
23rd February 2008, 09:47
Yep, they work well but getting the helmet on and off is a pain - particularly if you need to do it regularly.

banditrider
26th March 2008, 19:26
Fitted my whisper kit and wore it for 5,000 plus kms on the Mini's Return.

I found that it did quiten things up a bit but I still needed earplugs. Closing the top vents on the helmet also helped although it was too hot most of the time for this. The kit did increase the temp inside the helmet a bit but this was the least of my worries - I was sweating like a pig in my jacket & pants. Getting the helmet on and off is a bit harder but not too much of an issue.

On my bike screen position also makes a difference - fully raised induces quite a bit of noise. It is quieter at lower settings.

I guess a lot of things affect the old noise inside ya helmet but the whisper kit along with ear plugs do go a ways to quietening things up.