PDA

View Full Version : Wellington wardens told to back off with biker footpath policy

Bob
7th February 2008, 01:28
Wellington City Council parking wardens have been told to back off after officials admitted a campaign against illegally parked two-wheeled vehicles had been "a little over-zealous".

Dozens of riders have been left out of pocket after bearing the brunt of the new footpath policy.

Under council bylaws it is illegal to park a vehicle on the footpath – since December wardens had been told to issue tickets only if they found a scooter (newshound note: I’m assuming motorbikes are included here – but check this yourselves if concerned) obstructing pedestrian access or creating a safety hazard.

But Council infrastructure project manager Holden Hohaia admitted "We accept we might have initially been a little over-zealous in enforcing that. There is no longer a black-and-white approach being taken. The parking wardens will be using their discretion."

The city has 3200 on-street car parks and 340 two-wheeled vehicle parks - about one motorbike park for every 10 car parks. Hohaia added "Clearly at the moment demand is in excess of supply for motorbike and scooter parking across the city” and that officers are looking at ways to provide more parking for two wheelers.

bounce
7th February 2008, 19:16
good to hear. heard rumour also that 4 or so new bike parks are to be created in wgtn area. It's a start at least.

slimjim
7th February 2008, 19:56
gota admit i was a little surpised when Str8 Jacket showed me where to park lol yup on the walkway nice coffee shop just behind haha glad that they have seen some common sence

Nasty
7th February 2008, 20:54
good to hear. heard rumour also that 4 or so new bike parks are to be created in wgtn area. It's a start at least.

Thats an amazing rumour .. I work there and I had not heard that ;)

Gremlin
7th February 2008, 23:36
Either I got a good day, or I found the welly wardens nicer than the auck ones. Parked just off featherston street one monday, fully laden blackbird, all the bike parks were taken, so I sorta parked on the end of a row of cars, just before some driveways into parking garages.

no ticket. Yay for welly, I wasn't obstructing anything :2thumbsup