PDA

View Full Version : WANTED: good cheap scooters for possible rental business

Duke of Rogan
11th August 2003, 16:50
my brother is keen to expand his current business in Mangawhai (costal town north of Auckland) to include scooter hire/rental.

at this stage he's still in the costing stage, and I told him I may be able to get some prices for cheap reliable scoots.

he's no mechanical genious so they need to be in pretty good order, but ones with minor fixable problems should be OK.

I dont think the age of them are a worry either, as long as they go and can be WOF'ed etc.

so who out there in KB world has any cheap scooters for sale?
or any constructive advice on the matter?

PS. I havent done any scooter market research yet, but would imagine $500 might buy one up to the job

Motu
11th August 2003, 22:42
I used to maintain the rental cars,motorcycles,pushbikes and scooters on Waiheke Island,not to mention the dingies,outboards,Hobbie Cats and the hire centre - just me...what a cruise eh? There were over 25 Suzuki FA50s to keep going - jeez mate,have you got any idea the punishment that gets dealt to these things....Udays torture chambers have nothing on it,I was working on these things with tears in my eyes.

They have to have a cetificate of fitness (COF),but thats not much more than a wof.The FA50 has a weight limit,12 or 14 stone,so a 15 stone fatty motocrossing one would get through a few spokes in no time.Actualy tyres,spokes,levers was about it,clean out the mufflers(mason bees)lights,indicators,mirrors...anything that can break breaks three times a day.

I don't know whats around better than an FA 50,but the FA50 was simple - no plastic covers,very simple - a Bronson Rock was all the tool kit I needed - KISS!!!

The rewards? well,see if he can help the ambulance crew in summer - gravel rash on scantaly clad beach bunnies requires minute closs up attention...maybe he could even take some home...oops,I'm letting out too many secrets here!