PDA

View Full Version : My 1st EVER ride on a geared bike.

justsomeguy
19th November 2004, 11:18
G'day boys, girls, transexuals, animals and plants......

Got me self a ZZR250 and went for a 30 min blat/ride/crawl around the block - and thereabouts.:ride:

You see I know (sorta) how to balance a bike - but I don't really know how to change gears. Did the basic handling skills bout a week or more ago at Johnny Wright - but you only get into 3rd gear and 25kmph there.:disapint:

OK- So I put on my brand new gear - Jacket/Helmet/Gloves - thats all I got - and head out. :ar15:

It was very hard to see out. Lots of letters and stuff - I had to really squint to see outside through my helmet. Anyway kept riding and figured it out - I was in a video game and it was the on screen display. So I get onto a semi busy road and trundle along.

Then realise :o Oh! Facak! :shit: - no not a video game - Idiot forgot to remove the plastic sheet with all the fancy advertising off my visor. [ SEE PICTURE ] So quickly pull into side street - take off gloves and start fiddling with the cling wrap - manage to take off the stupid liner. Phew..... heaps better.

Then slide it into first and take off.

Didn;t have a clue as to what gear I was in - all I did when I had to stop was -STOP clutch in and kept pushing the damn gear pedal until it wouldn;t go down anymore. Worked most of the time. I know how to drive a manual cage - so just used that experience to keep the engine from going mad and matching revs to wheel speed.

Hey why does the bike not go into 1st once you stop it? And once stopped engine off - why can;t you go through the gears? Like in a car - or is it the way its supposed to be.

Must be pushing it in the wrong way. I don't know - need heaps of practice. And guys coming from a cage - I am used to driving it in the 2-6,000 rpm mark --- so maybe thats why the bike seemed so slow - slow like a 800cc car.

First time I ever went so far on a bike with gears - went plenty far on an automatic scooter long long time ago. 6th century BC - 6 years ago.

OK - actually came back from night shift - so :sleep:

StoneChucker
19th November 2004, 11:25
:doh: about the visor, at least you took it out the box ;)

What you often have to do if the bike won't go into first, is just let the clutch out a little, then back in again. It should go into first easy as. Watch out for this, as this can give false gears, making you lurch forward when you least expect to. I think you can't change gears with the engine off becuase the clutch is lubricated by the engine oil, so engine needs to be running for pressure/temperature? Not 100% sure.

Oh, when you stop, and "push the gear pedal down until it won't go any further down", for neutral give it a SLIGHT push back up again, then you can let the clutch out, and give your wrist a rest at the lights :)

Ride safe bud.
Dave.

justsomeguy
19th November 2004, 11:34
Oh, when you stop, and "push the gear pedal down until it won't go any further down", for neutral give it a SLIGHT push back up again, then you can let the clutch out, and give your wrist a rest at the lights :)

Right .... just like John Wright said -- funny how much you can forget when you are too excited......:banana:

MUST remember that.

... And yes - Jacket, Gloves and helmet is not enough - need pants too - legs feel too exposed while riding compared to everything else. Will start looking for a decent pair of cordura ones. Thanks for the advice :2thumbsup

StoneChucker
19th November 2004, 11:43
Yes, definitely get some pants soon. I STILL don't have proper riding pants, just jeans... :angry2: (it's also a little cold sometimes :cold: )

Blakamin
19th November 2004, 11:47
Me and a mate at work were laughing at a new helmet yesterday lunch time coz the plastic said "remove before riding" and wondering if it had been done.

:gob:

Good luck with your new bike, and try and get some pictures for us :ride:

Sniper
19th November 2004, 12:37
Yes, definitely get some pants soon. I STILL don't have proper riding pants, just jeans... :angry2: (it's also a little cold sometimes :cold: )

Yep thats true, I have thermals under my jeans but I still have a wee problem of what happens when I fall off?? :pinch:

vifferman
19th November 2004, 12:38
Hey why does the bike not go into 1st once you stop it? And once stopped engine off - why can;t you go through the gears? Like in a car - or is it the way its supposed to be.It's the way the gearbox works: it's sort of like the sequential gearboxes they use on race cars, with dogs that slide along the gear shafts. If the rear wheel isn't turning, the gears aren't either, so it's difficult to change gear because the teeth on the gears won't necessarily be aligned.
You can help when the engine isn't going, by rocking the bike backwards and forwards as you move the gearlever.

To find first gear easily when coming to a stop, change down while the bike's still rolling.

justsomeguy
19th November 2004, 13:45
OK - thanks guys as I get riding more I will keep asking and asking - don;t blame me if the questions get stupider.......

I guess once I ride more I will get a better awareness of what gear i am in - just like a cage,

But this was fun - when i was a kid I cycled more than I walked

this brought back some of that feeling.....

And now I can explore more than 3 hours cyling time..... from my house.

Yayyyy

Blakamin
19th November 2004, 13:53
OK - thanks guys as I get riding more I will keep asking and asking - don;t blame me if the questions get stupider.......

No such thing as a stupid question if you are genuinely interested and learn from the answers!!!

Ride safe, and be careful out there! :niceone:

Riff Raff
19th November 2004, 15:05
:killingme
Good on you mate. Soon everything will be second nature. And we all have stories about our first rides and some of the silly things we've done - just get some alcohol into us and we'll bombard you with stories! :beer:
Enjoy yourself out there.:banana:

SPORK
19th November 2004, 15:26
Hmmm, cool story, but I am just wondering how you managed to get on your bike without realising that the plastic was still on? No offence, just confusion

John
19th November 2004, 15:29
wow, thats awsome - I can remeber my first geared bike, My main problem was the clutch, and sometime in the wrong gear, thats fun when you go 'Hey check this out, rev it and arse off, because you thought it was in neutral'.

But Now I cant even remeber using the clutch, and I wonder if I still can, It just became natural, I was riding a 175, and getting into 4th in a 20m line, then slamming it so I didnt hit the fence.

If I was you I would throw the bike around abit (within reason!) so that you understand its abilities, man must be exciting!!

So hows the ZZR going? I'm looking to get one myself..

Anyway make sure you enjoy yourself out there, and dont stoop to the level of the car drivers!! and keep safe :sly:

[edit: spelling]

vifferman
19th November 2004, 15:33
OK - thanks guys as I get riding more I will keep asking and asking - don;t blame me if the questions get stupider.......Better to ask a question and appear foolish, than to keep silent and remain ignorant.

I guess once I ride more I will get a better awareness of what gear i am in - just like a cage,
Not necessarily.
Just be content with knowing you're in the right gear for the circumstances. Even experienced riders can't always tell what gear they're in, and many try to change gear when they're already in top. :blink: (Or, if they're on a standard-geared Firestorm, find they still have a gear or two spare when cruising on the open road...) :rolleyes:

justsomeguy
19th November 2004, 15:58
Hmmm, cool story, but I am just wondering how you managed to get on your bike without realising that the plastic was still on? No offence, just confusion
Well cos I always kept looking through the designs. So all I could see was a vague outline of the designs. Then after about 10 seconds I realised I should be able to see perfectly clearly - only then did I realise what had happened - and did my error get more obvious...........

Mongoose
19th November 2004, 16:02

And now I can explore more than 3 hours cyling time..... from my house.

Yayyyy

Keep asking away, i doubt the questions will get "stupider" but I see great potential for the answers to head that way :whistle: . If ya dont ask, Ya dont learn :niceone:

jase
19th November 2004, 16:03
Youll get there, ....We all did.

magnum
19th November 2004, 22:01
ello and welcome in :rockon:

Ms Piggy
20th November 2004, 06:10
Hey Mate,
There is no such thing as a stupid question. :yes: Well...there possibly is but, ask away b/c you aint gonna learn if you don't and some of these boys, girls, transexuals, animals and plants know their stuff when it comes to bikes & riding. :2thumbsup

Oh btw - please get some pants! Hindsight is a wonderful thing when you getting gravel picked out of your arse at A & E. :wacko:

justsomeguy
20th November 2004, 18:45
Yes I plan to get some pants asap- dollar signs don;t come into it at all.

And John - yes the bike is great. Buy one if you are into a sports tourer. I.e into riding long distances. Buy a ZXR if you want something more fun - but more expensive too.

According to me the ZZR is the best sort of compromise at these prices. But you never know what you will find if you look................

:rockon:

Bonez
20th November 2004, 19:42
Yes I plan to get some pants asap- dollar signs don;t come into it at all.

And John - yes the bike is great. Buy one if you are into a sports tourer. I.e into riding long distances. Buy a ZXR if you want something more fun - but more expensive too.

According to me the ZZR is the best sort of compromise at these prices. But you never know what you will find if you look................

:rockon:
You seem to be enjoyong yourself. One thing-remember to ride as if none of the
other road users can see you. It's got me out of a number of potential problems.

justsomeguy
21st November 2004, 07:40
Hey Bonez -

Thanks for your comments.

I checked out your public picture - a classic bike and a faithful friend - what more can a guy need huh?

Whats the dogs name? Any funny stories you can tell me about the little fella or is she a fellie?

inlinefour
21st November 2004, 13:29
Its not so important on what you ride, rather what you wear while you ride. I've had many offs when younger (and yes stupider), some of which I was not waering proper riding gear. Leathers blew apart at a slide off one of my faster bikes, yea it nackered them, but save me. I've now got spyke gear, stylmartin boots, spool gloves and Xpeed helmet. Buggered if I'm getting road rash again. Once you have had it, you never forget it, and wisen up quickly...
:gob: :msn-wink: