PDA

View Full Version : getting into motocross

Tens
11th August 2003, 21:51
stumbled across these forums a few days ago so i thought id register :niceone:

im looking for a little advice on how to go about getting into competitive racing for motocross , im 16 and have been riding a cr125 and KLX250 for the last 2 years and i feel ive learnt enough to begin to race.

ive ridden on a track in the coromandel with a double and two big table tops and ive had no trouble with them , and now im wondering what the best approach is to get into racing.

ive never been in a race before so im a little nervous what to expect and where a good place is to race for beginners.

im looking to start next season on a 250 2strk or 450 4strk.

any feedback , tips appreciated :)

Dave
12th August 2003, 10:34
Phone power adventures,they run entry motocross for people exactly like you,Nice and relaxed,with skill levels from learner to national pro riders.
from there you'll build the confidence to join a club-waitamata or rodney depending on which part of auck. your in, and do a club series.

gpercivl
12th August 2003, 10:57
Or you can join a local club depending on what area you live in. Motorcycling NZ classes for juniors end at age 16, so once your 17 you'll need to move to intermediate, but most clubs have clubman's classes for beginners or those that don't want to get super serious.

If you're in the South Auckland area, I'd recommend you try the Ardmore track, it's not too difficult and there are meetings there almost every weekend. Slater Lakeside Park at Huntly is excellent with a nice combination of technical sections and fast open sections. Harrisville track near Tuakau is heaps of fun but very technical with steep jumps and tight corners once your skill levels improve.

Tens
12th August 2003, 18:40
are these tracks open for practise duringg the week?

it would be nice to get to know the track first when its quiet rather than battle off the big 4 strokes hurtling around.

if not i guess ill just give it a go :)

Firefight
17th August 2003, 09:53
Hey Dude, you don't say what part of AK you live in, there are heaps of places to ride, some are available durning the week,
Ardmore is a good place to learn, just make sure you tell them what level you ride at, and stay in that level till you feel ready to move up a bit, also out clevedon, between clevdon and the beach is a little track called the "Jam " track, you can ride there most times, by negotiation with owner, just be carfull coming out with you trailer, as some of us on road bikes love the s's and corners outside the entrance to this farm,Power advetures races are good you dont, need a race license for most of there races, and there are heaps of levels to ride at,out glen murry, sou west from tuakau is a good ride "Thunder Valley" you can normally ride wed to sun day, don;t go if its wet, they have moto x and cross country tracks,, If you want a list of power adventure events or you want any more info give me a PM.

good luck firefight:rockon:

Firefight
20th August 2003, 15:15
Hey Tens, did not hear from you:argh: but here is the info you want. Next race Is GNCC cross country(not motoX), but bloody good practice, You will not need a licence or too belong to a club !:rolleyes: This is round one and is held on the 6th & 7th of sept at Mangawai Forest, the next one is 4th & 5th of october at woodhill, But note it is NOT held at the woodhill bike park, all races run are held at a different part of the forest, so those who don;t want to race can still come to bike park to ride.
After that is a super scramble at thames on the 12th of Oct.

You can do these as well as any motos that come up it's all good
practice and you can work on syking yourself up with other riders
that should keep you going for a while.

good luck firefight:rockon:

Shorty_925
20th August 2003, 23:01
Its kinda best to start in the lowest grade cos you can then move up, as you cant start off in a higher grade and then drop down. Dont think your going to go out there and win your first race straight up, i know i did :-) but i doesnt work.

Low key club days are the best to start off with, some local club guru will be out so you can get an idea of what pace is happening in the top grade.

How big were the jumps at the track?? I live in napier and our local track has a big table top - 30 metres, done it once but still not a 100% about doing it all the time.

But remember its all about FUN and motocross will help your all round riding.