PDA

View Full Version : Pay and display

Tall Learner
10th February 2008, 09:30
Hey i dont know exactly where to put this on the site but here will do i hope.

I was just thinking, I'm wanting a job thats in the CBD, its good pay so i'm not toooo worried about the ridiculously high parking prices, but at the pay and displays i'm having a bit of trouble :wacko: I get the PAY part ....... but what about the display??? :bash: Im not taping it down like my mate suggested :2guns:

R we bikers exempt from this because of our vehicle size or wat???????

Krayy
10th February 2008, 10:07
Shouldn't bother. Most carparks have free bike parking in them, as well as there being a few bike only parks around the city. Where will your work be exactly?

Bren
I am guessing that if you use a parking space you need to pay for it, otherwise there is motorcycle parking. as for displaying it maybe you could consider using a Rego envelope thingy to display your pay and display ticket...Dont think anyone would have the audacity to nick a ticket off your bike...although it is auckland so I could be wrong...maybe take a photo of ticket also on bike as a backup (proof).

Here is the councils m/c parking areas. (http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auckland/transport/parking/motorcycle.asp)

Nasty
Hey i dont know exactly where to put this on the site but here will do i hope.

I was just thinking, I'm wanting a job thats in the CBD, its good pay so i'm not toooo worried about the ridiculously high parking prices, but at the pay and displays i'm having a bit of trouble :wacko: I get the PAY part ....... but what about the display??? :bash: Im not taping it down like my mate suggested :2guns:

R we bikers exempt from this because of our vehicle size or wat???????

Exempt from what? if you park in a park that requires pay and display ... you do just that ... or take the chance of gtetting a ticket? Is that not spelt out somewhere around the parking area?

James Deuce
10th February 2008, 10:19
Wilson Parking will take your bike away on the back of a tow truck, dangling from a chain, if you park in a car space in a Wilson Parking Pay & Display. To their credit, if it is a manned park, they will let you park for free just about anywhere a car won't fit.

There are plenty of free motorcycle parks in the CBD. You just have to be early to get in one.

Tall Learner
11th February 2008, 10:00
Na i know you gotta pay usually but how do you display???

Steam
11th February 2008, 10:03
Na i know you gotta pay usually but how do you display???

Dunno about Auckland, but in Wellington motorcyclists aren't permitted to use Pay and Display parks. Totally forbidden. Give the council a call, 379 2020, only takes a minute to talk to someone.

Tall Learner
11th February 2008, 10:10
Dunno about Auckland, but in Wellington motorcyclists aren't permitted to use Pay and Display parks. Totally forbidden. Give the council a call, 379 2020, only takes a minute to talk to someone.

Yea true i guess i'll jst do it the common sense way... dammit haha but i dont know y the cops r getn angry at bikes parked out of the way on the footpath, dam quotas

Krayy
11th February 2008, 10:19
The other thing is to ask your boss or the company receptionist to find out if they allow bike parking in their carpark. All companies that I have worked for in the central city have allowed me to get a garage access card and have a "thin" spot that bikes can use. Damn handy that.

vifferman
11th February 2008, 10:25
Wilson Parking will take your bike away on the back of a tow truck, dangling from a chain, if you park in a car space in a Wilson Parking Pay & Display.
I read a very interesting article about Wilson Parking a few years ago. Their ultimate goal is to take over all parking in the Southern Hemisphere. Foolishy, some councils like D'Auckland have helped them in this by selling council carparks to them. One of the main ways they boost their profits is a deal with towing companies. Almost as soon as a car is over time in a Wilson's carpark, it is towed, and Wilson gets a significant kickback from the towing company. This of course, is more than they get from that car being parked there, so Wilson are quite vigilant in enforcing parking times.

Steam
11th February 2008, 10:32
...i dont know y the cops r getn angry at bikes parked out of the way on the footpath, dam quotas
Nothing to do with police, it's enforced by a private company contracted to the council. But you are right, they probably have quotas and targets too.

Tall Learner
11th February 2008, 10:39
The other thing is to ask your boss or the company receptionist to find out if they allow bike parking in their carpark. All companies that I have worked for in the central city have allowed me to get a garage access card and have a "thin" spot that bikes can use. Damn handy that.

Yea thatl be what il do next.

This is what i love about bikes to. Everyone in cages pay betwenn 10 and if ther really unlucky 20 bucks but bikes can seem to fit anywhere

PirateJafa
11th February 2008, 19:38
I park in the carpark at work along with a gal on a scooter. We park in a little area where a car wouldn't fit and so the chaps at WHK Gosling are happy to let us sit there. Big thumbs up to them! :)

Squiggles
11th February 2008, 19:41
Squeeze into the gaps at the end of the parks if you're parking in the street, i.e. at the end of the pay and display, we're working having more small parks around the city still (Pictures of spots that would be ideal for such parking are much appreciated)

Mikkel
12th February 2008, 09:55
Wilson Parking will take your bike away on the back of a tow truck, dangling from a chain, if you park in a car space in a Wilson Parking Pay & Display.

I must say I'm not too fond of this Wilson fella and his parking "services". I avoid it like the plague!

Krayy
14th February 2008, 07:55
...This is what i love about bikes to. Everyone in cages pay betwenn 10 and if ther really unlucky 20 bucks but bikes can seem to fit anywhere
Plus the fact that we can ride in bus lanes to get past the traffic, although throttle control is quite tricky when flipping the bird to a whole line of cars with your right finger.

And filtering...

Plus the chicks you get on a bike...whew...:sick:

Tall Learner
14th February 2008, 12:16
Plus the fact that we can ride in bus lanes to get past the traffic, although throttle control is quite tricky when flipping the bird to a whole line of cars with your right finger.

And filtering...

Plus the chicks you get on a bike...whew...:sick:

:headbang: hahaha. Is that aaallll bus lanes or just some???

90s
15th February 2008, 11:10
Exempt from what? if you park in a park that requires pay and display ... you do just that ... or take the chance of gtetting a ticket? Is that not spelt out somewhere around the parking area?

I asked Wilson what their policy was, and as long as you are not in a car space or causing an impediment they will leave you alone. As policies go, it is unofficial, so you do take a chance.
Aotea Sq and other areas have free parking dedicated inside for bikes.
There are several free bike bays around the city.
You can park anywhere on private land where the land owner won't get you removed - ie. outside most large buildings the land next to them is often not owned by the council (pavement) so you can park on it.

All this and more can be found in various threads about parking in Auckland CBD. Use search.

90s
15th February 2008, 11:12
:headbang: hahaha. Is that aaallll bus lanes or just some???

Welcome to the site BTW Tall Rider.
There are many many threads on this, so seriously, search the site before starting all this off again.

Japtwin
16th February 2008, 13:23
You can park in th e Auckland City public carparks, like under Aotea Centre, for free, nice n dry and safe(ish) theres a bike park area usually close to th echeckout kiosk

Radar
1st March 2008, 08:05

So are we supposed to only park in MC Only places? I've parked my car many times in Wgtn but not a bike - but will have to do so soon. Whats the guff?

jaykay
1st March 2008, 08:47
Probably the reason Wilson Parking tow cars away quickly is because they can't enforce any of their parking tickets!
Basically their tickets are invoices which cannot be taken through the court system as you haven't broken any law.
Just to make sure Wilson gets the message attach a notice to your vehicle along the lines of "anyone who interfers with this vehicle by clamping, towing etc agrees to pay the registered owner the sum of $300 plus any additional costs (etc etc)". Towing or clamping a car and demanding money for its return is blackmail and extortion.

Tank
4th March 2008, 12:52
Just to make sure Wilson gets the message attach a notice to your vehicle along the lines of "anyone who interfers with this vehicle by clamping, towing etc agrees to pay the registered owner the sum of $300 plus any additional costs (etc etc)". Towing or clamping a car and demanding money for its return is blackmail and extortion.

That wont work - look at their signs - by parking here you accept the rules (posted someplace in the carpark).

By entering you accept their rules - your sign on the car / bike wont help at all.

sunhuntin
4th March 2008, 13:03
when i stayed over night in central welly, i had to use a pay and display lot. i simply clamped the ticket underneath my petrol cap, but that wont work for some bikes where the cap and tank are flush. the rego holder is a good idea, but where would you put it if you dont have a screen? and where parking wardens would be able to spot it easily?