PDA

View Full Version : Kawazaki ZZR250 / Getting started.

John
19th November 2004, 15:04
Sorry to be all of question, and no content.. hehe

Well I have decided that the best bike that I should go for is the ZZR250, seems to have power, handling, and breaks, and work touring fine, then jump on a track easy!

One question on road bikes, the closest to road bike that I have rode was a honda CX125?.. I think - not entirely sure, but what sort of problems will I encounter while learning? - is gearing that hard?, more importantly hows the clutch **shudder**

Another few questions;

What sort of gear should I get, I'm semi crazy, but would prob stick to the rules of the learners most of the time, except the L plate :S!!, I will do ALOT of long distance travelling, things such as Whangarei -> Auckland and further, and think maybe I better get full gear, so that if I do crash in burn (I know its gonna happen) at least I have a better chance at getting up :mellow:

What sort of servicing do I havto do on the bike, or leave it to the pros :moon:

Another, (fun huh?) how hard is the learners licence to get, will I havto examine the road code in detail, I think I have the 2001 semi memorised, and hows the skill test? also anyone know where I can get this done in Whangarei?

Thanks for your time, I understand it must be a bitch to answer nubies questions. :not:

hailz
19th November 2004, 17:51
hi there,
this is the first time i've been in this site so i hope you get this message.
i have just purchased a zzr250 and loving it. have been on learners for over a year as haven't got around to sitting restricted. getting learner license is really easy. you need to sit a basic mc handling course before doing the theory test. (contact passrite for details) the theory is a scratch card and pretty much common sense.
hope this helps a bit

John
19th November 2004, 17:54
hi there,
this is the first time i've been in this site so i hope you get this message.
i have just purchased a zzr250 and loving it. have been on learners for over a year as haven't got around to sitting restricted. getting learner license is really easy. you need to sit a basic mc handling course before doing the theory test. (contact passrite for details) the theory is a scratch card and pretty much common sense.
hope this helps a bit

Heya, thats great info - welcome to the site its great!! :banana:

Thanks!! :yes:

John
20th November 2004, 19:14
**bump**

Just wondering if I will fit the ZZR's I'm about 5'6" what bike should I look at otherwise...

thanks..

Two Smoker
20th November 2004, 19:27
Hey John,

The ZZR is ok, have test ridden one for a mate....ok power and ok brakes, quite an upright sitting postion.... not a track bike, but you can take it on the track...

I think a naked bike is the best, just due to if you bin it, it doesnt cost much to fix... (think VTR, Zeal, Hornet etc...)

ONLY GO FULL GEAR!!!!!!!1 I have crashed many times and no that full gear is a must...

I reakon start out with cordura pants and jacket (fully armoured), also go for gloves and helmet (ofcourse)... but a really important piece of proctective clothing you should get is a back protector...

Getting your learners is a piece of piss so dont worry about it.. hardest thing about learning is countersteering, and growing some balls and fiting you panic insticnts...

Welcome along and i hope you have a great time looking for bikes and gear :niceone:

justsomeguy
20th November 2004, 19:30
Hi there John,

I too just got myself a ZZR250. I'm bout 5"10 and my feet fit flat on the ground with my knees slightly bent.

So at 5"6 you should have no probs - easiest way to find out is to actually sit on one - but I don't think you will have any problems.

And yes good choice -- I too believed that the ZZR is the best bike all factors considered.

John
20th November 2004, 19:35
thanks for the vote, they seem very balanced - I will get full gear most definatly, I already have nurmorus sports injuries that haunt me, my back from hockey - panadol works :P that ok so no real problems, right knee so I dont need to worry much about that, and my chest damn rugby :( - I have this stupid rib that keeps cracking - so that could be an issue, becuase I will most prob bail, more than once in the first few days, so the full gear advise is good thanks - play it safe eh?

As soon as I get the bike, I'm finding the nearest learner centre and going to ride to it, with the excuse for the cobbler that I had no other choice (which is true).

But thanks, and I will be sure to post pics and stuff of everything.

cheers for the help.

justsomeguy
21st November 2004, 07:34
Yes please do buy the best gear you can afford - THAT IS THE BEST GEAR YOU CAN AFFORD. Remember you will get a discount for cash and if buying everything from one place.

Also shop around. I have bought gear worth about a $1000 for only $470.

The way I justify spending big bucks on gear is by repeating: "You can always buy more gear when you break it. You can't buy a new body."

Also good quality gear keeps you very comfortable while riding.

And also save up as much as you can for good tuition. Cos as those who know say --- the best safety equipment I have is inbetween my ears.

R6_kid
21st November 2004, 13:29
i learnt on the suzuki GF250, not sure how well it compares up with a ZZR250 but i know that the suzi has less style too it. Pulls hard when you ask it too and is good for cruising, done auck - thames, and auck - mangawhai no sweat, and with fuel to spare. Depending on how much you want to spend, im selling one at the moment (hint hint). But on the whole, i agree with the other guys, get gear! gloves, helmet, jacket is a minimum.

bear
22nd November 2004, 12:09
The comment on getting a naked bike to learn, cos it will be cheaper to repair, is a good point. Haven't riden one, but the Suzuki Bandit 250 is a good looking naked 250.
And make sure you do buy the gear, and wear it - even on a very hot day.

Devil
22nd November 2004, 12:59
John: Dont stress about pranging it while you're learning. You dont have to you know heh.
You just need to ride within your limits. While you're learning, id avoid testing your limits too much. Ive had my restricted for a couple of months now and haven't come anywhere near binning it and I dont ride like a complete nanna either. Part of its in your head, if you think you're going to fuck up, theres a good chance you will.

Clothing: If you're doing a few miles then go cordura jacket and pants, good weather protection.

Riding tips: Avoid catseyes on corners, and tar-snakes in the wet (those thin black rubbery lines of shit they use to patch cracks in the road).

Antallica
22nd November 2004, 13:13
You lookin at that black ZZR at Shaws mate? As for the basic handling test the dude runs it on Sat at the train station. Ring up the AA and ask for the number.

John
22nd November 2004, 13:49
Thanks for all the tips, But I had a talk with mum - and she said that she would front me money if I got a GN250 (she wants me on a new bike as aposed to a oldie) and then when I get my full I can move to a 600cc.

Thanks for all the help, hope to see all the whanageri boys around, look for a midget on a GN250 its me, if you see me give a wave in I'll stop for a chat...

The GN250's although not my style, nor speed - I supose is a good start..

and in a year and a bit.... ( :soon: ) 600cc for me :spudbooge

cheers.!

John
22nd November 2004, 13:50
Ohh another question, any pitfalls with the 04 GN250e that I should look for? cheers.

Antallica
22nd November 2004, 14:06
If she wants you on a new bike, you should get a GSX250.

John
22nd November 2004, 15:14
they have sold all out, aparently limited edition and they cant get them in, so I'm pretty gutted - crusers are NOT my style, but hey I'll ditch it pretty soon... keep the money - buy bigger :P!!

p.s where abouts do you ride, I'm staying just across from woolworths, I will be arriving on sunday, love to see your bike at some point.

John
22nd November 2004, 16:26
You lookin at that black ZZR at Shaws mate? As for the basic handling test the dude runs it on Sat at the train station. Ring up the AA and ask for the number.
I actually am STILL looking at that, I'm trying to get her to levey her decision - becuase I want the black ZZR soo bad I wet myself looking at it, I guess we will see on moneday next week IF its still there, could you give me a msg If you happen to see it go before monday mate?

cheers.

Coyote
22nd November 2004, 16:51
Here is a tip. Don't but too nice a bike. I just got a CBR250RR and was planning to race it, but its too nice to race let alone ride it. Cost me a bundle too. I went a bit over budget. I might get another fairing if I start racing, just so I can have the stock one aside.

Antallica
22nd November 2004, 17:03
Well I know for a fact there is a GSX250 sitting at MotoOne (although a shabby example). Also I've seen shitloads of them in Auck. Colemans Suzuki & Mt Eden have a few I believe.

I would think twice about buying in Whg, I would stick with Auck personally. But yeah that ZZR looked fair decent.

My bike is parked outside M10 most days and I usually hoon past Woolworths daily as my g/f lives just 50m away.

John
22nd November 2004, 18:08
Hey all - antallica would be cool to meet up for a cruse or chat some time, if or when your free, or anyone around that area ( I know no one! ).

I have no option on the purchase location, sadly this is what happens when you borrow some money from your mother, oh well - It looks like the GN250E is what I will be stuck with until my full, when I can ditch it for a real mans bike ( lol ). but they arent all that bad are they, they are slow I guess but, who can complain for the brand new price of 2.9k

Or is there someone who is wiser and more skilled? I think a few people here may have them... Seem good for learners, So I can crash it into a few poles if I feel the need and not be to heartbroken (or dead!!)

Anyway case closed I guess? unless there are major porblems with GN's, I might look at MotoOne ( honda dealers? ) but I cant really afford to speed very much on the bike, without selling a few prized possessions, and my courses have left me broke, and in debt :(

thanks...

Antallica
22nd November 2004, 18:59
Yeah you'll be alright on the GN, sadly I don't think you'll be going very far out of town in it? I dunno what it's like for performance. MotoOne are Suzi dealers (fuckin wankers imho). But there is a GSX250 there, but for the $2.9k mark I don't think a dealer will do you a good deal on a decent sport 250.

If you're really desperate for a good performance model, slap one on tick and get a kickass one from Auckland.

Are you actually in town yet or what?

John
22nd November 2004, 19:09
Yeah you'll be alright on the GN, sadly I don't think you'll be going very far out of town in it? I dunno what it's like for performance. MotoOne are Suzi dealers (fuckin wankers imho). But there is a GSX250 there, but for the $2.9k mark I don't think a dealer will do you a good deal on a decent sport 250.

If you're really desperate for a good performance model, slap one on tick and get a kickass one from Auckland.

Are you actually in town yet or what?
Nah I'm not in town yet damn it, I havto wait for graduation on the 27th I will be in whangarei on the 27th.

I'm just using trader point, for finding some rough info - sad thing is I will have alot of whangarei -> auckland and back trips, which will be DAMN interesting on a GN, infact I would preferr to bus it haha...

I will still try (underline and bold that :| ) get a better preformer even a two stroke at least some have some guts, personally I dont see myself fairing well on a elephant with a engine.

I dont NEED to go fast, but of course its a young males ultimate goal in life eh?

カワサキキド
22nd November 2004, 21:45
How about a new KRR ZR150, have a look on www.kawasaki.co.nz.

John
22nd November 2004, 21:47
I was looking at it, how much and what sort of speeds would it pull? thanks.

カワサキキド
22nd November 2004, 21:51
$4995 is the price listed on the web site, and it will over 180k's.

John
22nd November 2004, 22:03
well googled 2strokes vs 4stroke, the trade off for the speed isnt really worth it, I will just get a bigger bike in a year, thanks anyway its a nice idea though! :second:

John
23rd November 2004, 10:31
Just an update, I worked on my mum and it looks asthough that ZZR will be sitting in the garage! (if it hasnt got a crappy service history, so thanks for the heads up Antallica).

and everyone elses help thanks.

aff-man
23rd November 2004, 11:21
Make sure you get a pre-purchace check (including compression test) done especially if you doing long distance. Congrats on the bike. :apint:

John
25th November 2004, 20:24
well - I have 5k... Lined up the ZZR and just want a final check..

its a 1990 ZZR 14k on the clock, was an import so it maybe wound back (its from a dealer) and was wondering is about 4.5k for it seem about right, I know I pay alot more for getting it from a dealer, but I general idea on this price would make me feel better. :doctor:

thanks

Antallica
25th November 2004, 20:44
Yeah that ZZR is a tidy example. Since it has low k's I guess it a good price dealer wise. Sure you could find a better deal privately and a lot cheaper, but that takes time.

Me, I want it NOW!

John
25th November 2004, 20:58
Yeah that ZZR is a tidy example. Since it has low k's I guess it a good price dealer wise. Sure you could find a better deal privately and a lot cheaper, but that takes time.

Me, I want it NOW!
haha - fair enough, I have read that used buyer guide thing - and will give it a good once over, I just hope it hasnt being wound back - which would make me cry, but yes - seems to be my final choice - keen for a ride if your around near christmas? would be buzzy :P

Antallica
25th November 2004, 21:06
Well if this is still the ZZR at Shaws then she'll be right. They are one of the good shops in town.

Might be keen for a cruise around the place. Let me know when you get it anyway.

John
21st December 2004, 12:55
Hi all, sorry have not being around much to much work in crap to do :(

Well I finally was able to do my basic handling test on Saturday (he was doing truck tests previous weekends) sat that, it felt strange being on a bike or a vehicle for that matter (havn't rode a bike for a long time) but managed it fine, then monday went and did my theory (wow 1 1/2 mins later passed) and then went for a cruse on the ZZR, wow - apart from traffic lights, old ladies in berlinas - and being cut off by 3 cops its was the most fun I had since the discovery of the submarine in the bathtub (lol).

Was great did about 5 hours riding yesterday, tried some wheelie action down the polytec road (its empty 99% of the time, so I thought it would be safe) I got the wheel about 30cm off the ground then hit the red and needed to change gear, oh well next time :D.

Well I tell you what the ZZR is the cleanest bike I have rode, apart from the tight clutch and stickyness, I even got my knee down on a round about then got such a fright I slowed down alot..

But then I noticed a flash in my visor on the side, maybe a camera I didnt think much of it until 3k up the road when I realised and got upset and started cursing, went back looking for it but I took a wrong turn, now what I was wondering is how can a bike be flashed since the bike has the plate on the back, can only vans with the dude inside get you (when they run out of the van and get your licence? or can any camera get you?) it was around Kamo North.

Anyway - bike have given me new reason to live wooo :D come on GSX1000R..

Antallica
22nd December 2004, 11:05
You'll be fine if it took the photo front on.