PDA

View Full Version : What the hell have I done!

madmal64
10th February 2008, 19:02
I have collected today from Ivan the pieces that hopefully will become the machine that will start me into this bucket racing stuff.
Its going to be a bit of work by the looks of it, but thats part of the fun so they tell me!
The machine is XL100 powered MB50 framed RG wheeled contraption.
Its not complete & running at the moment so we have a long way to go before we get it on a track.
I think the 1st thing I will do is to get the engine running and see what it runs like. It is mounted in the frame and I will be upgrading the current mounts as Im not 100% happy with the current set up.
Being a big barstard it could be a good idea to look at frame strength while Im at it. :bleh:
Its not the tidiest looking machine Ive ever owned, but its a start into this class of racing & Im looking forward to building a little machine I can start out on.
Any suggestions & advice may be listened too:devil2: & Im hoping I will be able to pick up some tips and ideas from the rest of you bucket boys & gals.
Looks like I will be spending a whole lot more time in the garage for the next few weeks, probaly with a fair bit of cursing & swearing.
Oh well :rolleyes:

Trudes
10th February 2008, 19:06
hehe, way to go madmal!! You're a crap load more adventurous than me, I need my hand held constantly, sounds like you have a some idea what's what, so that's a good start!! It becomes addictive, that's for sure!! Good luck, keep us informed and look forward to seeing you up at the "track"!!!:Punk:

skelstar
10th February 2008, 19:17
Good stuff. Look forward to seeing it action!

nudemetalz
10th February 2008, 19:28
Well done, Dude !!!! :2thumbsup

Slingshot
10th February 2008, 19:28
Wicked!! Photos??

Let me know if you want a hand (or someone to point a laugh).

You'll be ready by the 2 of March?

nudemetalz
10th February 2008, 19:45
Wicked!! Photos??

You had a go with the 2.5 TZR rim yet, Slingshot?

Slingshot
10th February 2008, 19:50
You had a go with the 2.5 TZR rim yet, Slingshot?

No not yet, planning to check that out tomorrow night...will let you know.

nudemetalz
10th February 2008, 19:53
Cool, just interested to see how you go :)

madmal64
10th February 2008, 19:58
hehe, way to go madmal!! You're a crap load more adventurous than me, I need my hand held constantly, sounds like you have a some idea what's what, so that's a good start!! It becomes addictive, that's for sure!! Good luck, keep us informed and look forward to seeing you up at the "track"!!!:Punk:
Thanks! I may need some luck. It looks like a Ive got a fair bit of work in front of me. Basic engine stuff is not really too much of a problem for me. The electrics will probably be my weak link. But with a bit of work it will be a goer!

Wicked!! Photos??

Dont think I will be ready for the 1st round. Would like to be but Ive set my goal for the 2nd round at the end of March.
Mate Im sure I will need some help and I will take you up on the offer.
Youre welcome to join the list of people that have had a laugh.

Str8 Jacket
10th February 2008, 20:01
Dont think I will be ready for the 1st round. Would like to be but Ive set my goal for the 2nd round at the end of March.
Mate Im sure I will need some help and I will take you up on the offer.
Youre welcome to join the list of people that have had a laugh.

Sweet man! Maybe i'll have he A running for the second round as well! :niceone: I promise I wont laugh, Im not really in any position!

madmal64
10th February 2008, 20:34
Sweet man! Maybe i'll have he A running for the second round as well! :niceone: I promise I wont laugh, Im not really in any position!

Mine may well win the fugly award. My kids think their dad has lost it completely. :eek5:
"What the hell are you going to with that?" and
"You are are joking about racing that!" are the comments around here!
It would be good to see ya up there for the 2nd round Hels:scooter:
Im fairly sure I will be ready by then

Ivan
10th February 2008, 20:40
The electrics are simple on that if you run the current config.

You need a 12v battery in good condition A high amp hour battery should be good.
Run the Positive of battery to the coil, and run the earth of battery to the points and condensor.

She will spark minter.

and Its running a 6V coil a trick I learnt from a A grade mechanic, the trick is the coil will get hot but will supply a good spark from the 12v battery until the battery goes down to 6vs.

quallman1234
10th February 2008, 21:22
Welcome to my world!

For the price, you can't compain.

madmal64
10th February 2008, 21:35
The electrics are simple on that if you run the current config.

You need a 12v battery in good condition A high amp hour battery should be good.
Run the Positive of battery to the coil, and run the earth of battery to the points and condensor.

She will spark minter.

and Its running a 6V coil a trick I learnt from a A grade mechanic, the trick is the coil will get hot but will supply a good spark from the 12v battery until the battery goes down to 6vs.
Got a fully charged battery sitting on the bench now! I will bung it on my oxford battery optimiser until I get onto it later in the week.
Cheers Ivan!

Welcome to my world!

For the price, you can't compain.

Hell I aint complaining, Im stoked:woohoo::woohoo: It just what I wanted. A project rather than a runner.
Im just waiting for them to raise the limit to 200cc and then I will build me a bloody awesome machine. That way I can use some of the other "stuff" I have lying around!

Skunk
10th February 2008, 22:24
Another Ivan project gets to see the race track!

It'll be fast, real fast. Ivan does that to them you know.

The Skunkworks Norf Welly Massif Bucket Factory operates on a free-trade principle in case you need bits (or we do).

Oh, shut up about 200cc. Small is fun, big is serious.

madmal64
11th February 2008, 21:11
Might have to take up that offer Skunk! Ive got another bike that is going to get raided for bits & bobs. Oh I am currently building a trailer that will be available for the welly crew when its finished too.
Thats been sort of put on hold until I get the bucket running.

madmal64
12th February 2008, 22:02
Well tonight was really the first opportunity to really spend any time looking over my lethal weapon. So after dinner it was off to the garage with an old school book, a cup of coffee, a few ciggies. Crank up Hauraki on the radio and make a few lists.
First list.... what I need to do to get this thing running. The BIG list
Second List..... what I am missing to get it running
Third List....... what I would LIKE to do or get

So one of my daughters decided to act as secretary and write while I had a really good look over the bike. This worked out a treat actually. It was great to be able to start at the front wheel and go over it peice by piece and finish at the rear wheel.
At least now I have a game plan and luckily Im not missing too many bits that I cant raid from another bike that I have lying around. Im sure this list will grow as I continue but its basically all there.

We didnt get too much actual work done tonight apart from mounting the clip ons and the top triple clamp and sort of mucking around with the fairing that came with it. But its great to know that from here on in we have a plan of attack. Hoping to have the motor fired up on the next session if it all goes to plan. I wish there was a way to fit a CDI unit so I could eliminate the battery. Any ideas>

Will post some pictures of the start & progress made soon.

Ivan
13th February 2008, 12:10
CDI conversion.

You can get a similar engine XL125 etc that are CDI use there stator and flywheel to start with the crank tapor should be the same.

Then you need to getfrom one of these engines a CDI cam as a CDI cam is longer. But you must check that the bearing that the cam sits inis the same. Best bet is Put the whole head of a XL125 etc on it.
THen you need the CDI Ignitior etc and put that on if you understand whatI mean this is the piece on the end of the cam buton your motor you have the points on the end of the cam.

Ivan

Good Luck