PDA

View Full Version : Otago: Ride from Dunedin 15 March

MotoGirl
11th February 2008, 09:23
Cajun and I will be in Dunedin on 14 and 15 March while my father attends the Ulysses AGM.

We don't know the area and would be keen to meet up with fellow KBers for a ride somewhere on the 15th. You guys will know what's good and what's not so I'm open to suggestions.

We intend to travel 400-500km each day and I'm after a location with good roads, nice scenery and a place to stop for yummy (yet affordable) food.

xknuts
11th February 2008, 18:30
My club is doing our 25th Anniversary ride to Naseby that day BUT we are staying overnight. You are welcome to PM me and jion us for your day ride. It will be Dunedin - Mosgiel - Outram - Clarkes - Middlemarch - Ranfurly - Naseby.

dangerous
11th February 2008, 18:41
Giz a holla if ya passing through Chch, and or need a pad to crash at

MotoGirl
11th February 2008, 18:59
Giz a holla if ya passing through Chch, and or need a pad to crash at

Cheers for the invite! There's three of us and we definitely intend to stop over in CHCH. There's a few people we want to catch up with so will stay in touch! I'll put Cajun's cell number in the other thread.

FJRider
11th February 2008, 19:02
Follow the Southern Senic Route from Balclutha through the Catlins to Invergiggle(side trip to bluff),Riverton Tuatapere to Manapouri/Te Anau. Back to Dunedin via Crown range,Wanaka,over the Lindis pass,Omarama,Oamaru and Dunedin. That would keep ya busy for a few days.

MotoGirl
11th February 2008, 19:27
Follow the Southern Senic Route from Balclutha through the Catlins to Invergiggle(side trip to bluff),Riverton Tuatapere to Manapouri/Te Anau. Back to Dunedin via Crown range,Wanaka,over the Lindis pass,Omarama,Oamaru and Dunedin. That would keep ya busy for a few days.

That's the sort of thing I'm after. I've been to Twizel many years ago (rowing) so want to check out the lakes in that area again. I remember them being stunning so would be interested to see 'em again.

Here's our actual tour thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1421793#post1421793

Ruralman
12th February 2008, 12:43
My club is doing our 25th Anniversary ride to Naseby that day BUT we are staying overnight. You are welcome to PM me and jion us for your day ride. It will be Dunedin - Mosgiel - Outram - Clarkes - Middlemarch - Ranfurly - Naseby.

This is a great ride and could be done as a loop back to Dunedin by riding down the Pig Root to Palmerston and then do the coastal roads including the Goodwwod valley which heads out to the coast from the Shell Station in Palmerston, then the next bit you turn out to Karitane about 5km south of Waikouaiti, and the last bit you turn off at Waitati and go over Mt Cargill to the northern end of Dunedin - some spectacular views on all of these, all sealed, and all rather windy:niceone:

Second that. Add in the coast road from Oamaru South to Wainakarua. Getting a copy of the NZ motorcycle Atlas might help plan your trip as it has listed their top 100 motorcycle roads in the country - you'll get over quite a few of them on these rides. Just make sure you try to get South Westland into your itinerary as well (providing its not pissing down)

MotoGirl
12th February 2008, 14:06
Second that. Add in the coast road from Oamaru South to Wainakarua. Getting a copy of the NZ motorcycle Atlas might help plan your trip as it has listed their top 100 motorcycle roads in the country - you'll get over quite a few of them on these rides. Just make sure you try to get South Westland into your itinerary as well (providing its not pissing down)

Sounds cool! I've just gone out and bought this book to replace the one I was reading (Motorcycling in NZ, or similar).

NighthawkNZ
12th February 2008, 14:25
So many good rides down here you won't know what way to turn... (Just ensure you indicate before you do make your mind up though :) )

FJRider
12th February 2008, 15:48
Sounds cool! I've just gone out and bought this book to replace the one I was reading (Motorcycling in NZ, or similar).

REMEMBER...DONT tell anybody how good,traffic free (compared to the north island),the roads are down here... IT'S A SECRET !!!

FJRider
12th February 2008, 15:58
Just make sure you try to get South Westland into your itinerary as well (providing its not pissing down)

The road into and out of MILFORD SOUND is good (really good), also weather dependant.It does "rain" a little in there.(About 9 METRES a year) AND about 120 BUSES,200 CAMPERVANS and about 300 rental cars a day go in there. TAKE CARE !!!

NighthawkNZ
12th February 2008, 16:09
The road into and out of MILFORD SOUND is good (really good), also weather dependant.It does "rain" a little in there.(About 9 METRES a year) AND about 120 BUSES,200 CAMPERVANS and about 300 rental cars a day go in there. TAKE CARE !!!

Well it is a "RAIN"forrest... lol :lol:

FJRider
12th February 2008, 16:26
Well it is a "RAIN"forrest... lol :lol:

I wondered why they called it that. They should call it a F'ING PISSING DOWN forest. Went in there a few years back, had a pocket altimeter. At the top of Homer tunnel it read 6 FATHOMS.

NighthawkNZ
12th February 2008, 16:40
I wondered why they called it that. Went in there a few years back, had a pocket altimeter. At the top of Homer tunnel it read 6 FATHOMS.

We there a couple weeks back, (err maybe a couple of months even) we got rain... and boy I mean rain... but was still a nice ride :)

dangerous
12th February 2008, 16:43
I'll put Cajun's cell number in the other thread.:doh: I forgot there was another thread bout you guys headed south... was thinking as I posted above that I had the feeling Id already offered:mellow:

FJRider
12th February 2008, 16:57
We there a couple weeks back, (err maybe a couple of months even) we got rain... and boy I mean rain... but was still a nice ride :)

People that have NEVER been there, willl NEVER understand.

Goblin
12th February 2008, 17:05
People that have NEVER been there, willl NEVER understand.Gotta love that Wet Coast rain. There's no such thing as waterproof gear on the Coast. :laugh:

NighthawkNZ
12th February 2008, 17:44
Gotta love that Wet Coast rain. There's no such thing as waterproof gear on the Coast. :laugh:

aint that the truth...

FJRider
12th February 2008, 20:59
Gotta love that Wet Coast rain. There's no such thing as waterproof gear on the Coast. :laugh:

The term, water RESISTANT, not water PROOF. A bit like the Coalgate advert on tv. IT DOES GET IN... EVENTUALLY !!!

Ruralman
13th February 2008, 21:12

Oh yes there is - its my one piece Oringi Stratford suit which I can pull over my Dri rider gear, boots etc. It doesn't flap, its flexible and very tear resistant,and its a dark blue colour not that bright bloody yellow of those cheap Warehouse PVC things. They're made to cope with heavy duty agricultural and the are welded together so theres no seams etc to leak. The only downside is that it doesn't fold up as small as some nylon versions - about the size of a pair of jeans rolled up, maybe a little bigger.

Ruralman
13th February 2008, 21:17

This is very good advice - take every brow and blind bit of road like there could be someone coming the other way on the wrong side of the road - because it happens a lot on that stretch

I wondered why they called it that. They should call it a F'ING PISSING DOWN forest. Went in there a few years back, had a pocket altimeter. At the top of Homer tunnel it read 6 FATHOMS.

I like that - bling from me

_Shrek_
13th February 2008, 21:23

sorry Goblin
my Alpine Star jacket & Teknic gortex pants have kept me try on a 3 hr ride :yeah: in torrential rain we got 5 inches six hrs
it reminded me of when i lived on the coast :laugh: