PDA

View Full Version : What tyres to people prefer??

wkid_one
12th August 2003, 16:00
Just a nice litte poll

Antallica
12th August 2003, 18:55
Whatever keeps me on the road safely is ok by me dude :)

Must replace my bald rear too...... that's the bike rear btw :p

Blackbird
12th August 2003, 20:12
I'm a recent convert to the new Azaro ST 45/46 tyres.  I had Dunlop D220's on the Blackbird and this was a big, big, mistake :(   Take a look at the front tyre after under 4000 k's from new.  The wear pattern on the tyre sides is almost flat, like those old triangular racing tyres on Manx Norton's!

I suspect that the carcass of the tyre simply wasn't up to the job on a heavy, fast bike like the 'bird and the wear pattern was caused due to flexing.  I swapped to Azaros after seeing a Performance Bikes test and am very pleased that I did.  The front end feels much stiffer which probably means that the tyre isn't distorting.  The only thing I didn't initially like was the tendency for the bike to weave slightly at walking pace because of the unusual tread pattern.  Got used to it now, and love them to bits. 

Marmoot
12th August 2003, 22:57
010 rear! Good for slide.
And curse those that don't import 16" 012 front :angry2:

Dave
13th August 2003, 09:27
Dunlop B compound race slicks anyone?

Coldkiwi
13th August 2003, 17:14
pirelli fan but can't stretch the budget to Diablo's.

Instead I've been happily running Dragon Evo's front and rear. Because I've got a good price on it though, i've getting a Dragon supercorsa on the front tonight so we'll see how much better that runs. They've lasted reasonably well considering the commuting and weekend riding they get and haven't offered any problems

bikerboy
13th August 2003, 18:08
:Offtopic: , CK , given the rate you're going through tyres, perhaps we should call you calamari fritto ! :D

Dave
13th August 2003, 19:05
My A100 is 23 years old and its still got the original tyres on it-hows that for long lasting-nobody said they're good though.

bikerboy
13th August 2003, 20:43
Now that sounds like a KK statement :Oops:

Dave
14th August 2003, 10:27
i know, but then again i don't venture out onto racetracks or highways on them!

bikerboy
14th August 2003, 10:35
Somehow I knew you wouldn't, :D perhaps it's the fact you are an actual racer... rather than an imaginary one. :eek:

Dave
14th August 2003, 11:43
:Punk:

Duke of Rogan
17th August 2003, 10:23
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
pirelli fan but can't stretch the budget to Diablo's.

Instead I've been happily running Dragon Evo's front and rear.

my bike came with the same tyres, but if I had to replace them I wouldnt know where to start on picking a good tyre (to new to the bike scene just yet).
)

Duke of Rogan
17th August 2003, 10:33
tyre pressure is a little :Offtopic: sorry, but just wondering if I should stick to the manual's recommendation (32 PSI), or change to suit condtions? eg:
hot day, long ride: little bit soft as tyre will heat up (28 PSI?)
cold day, slow commute (every day): little bit firmer, (34 PSI?)

Blackbird
17th August 2003, 10:59
It depends on the type of bike and end use.  If you want to be absolutely safe, stick to the manufacturer's recommendations.  You drop pressures a bit for track days because the tyres heat up and increases the pressure.  Fair enough when when you're working the tyres constantly, but when you're on normal roads and it's a mixture of blasting and "normal" riding, you run the risk of the bike squirming around with lower pressures.   Heavier bikes don't react well to a tyre pressure drop.  My 'bird runs at 42 psi front and rear, and I notice that the handling noticeably deteriorates if they are below 40 psi.

Personally, I leave tyre pressures as per manufacturers specs and just try and improve my riding skills:D:D:D

:done:

wkid_one
17th August 2003, 13:51
Sports bikes seem to run well with 36psi front and 38psi rear ( never had the squirming around you are talking about BB - and the VTR isn't light)....just remember not to rely on garage gauges - get your own AccuGauge pressure gauge and treat it with utmost respect - I check my pressures before every ride (as poor pressure can shag a tyre very smartly)

42 on the front - feck that is high??!?!?!?!?  Your tyre wouldn't heat up enuf which would cause as much problems cornering as too low a pressure

DoR - as for tyres - any of the tyres named will do a good job for you.....you can't really go wrong - it just comes down to personal experience (and dollars) - M1's are well priced at the moment and a super tyre....208's are still expensive (and have a flat profile), Diablo's are good, the Diablo Corsers and Rennsports are the mutt pearls but fecken expensive (Corsers more than Renners), 012's are super sticky (which equals super low mileage), 010's are still a great tyre.  I know nothing about the Azaro's.

That is of course if you are after good scratching tyres - no nothing about sports tourers or tourers

Kwaka-Kid
17th August 2003, 15:56
firstly: Dave and bikerboy you two are getting to b we little bad-boys eh? always giving me the flak! :p  :argh:  hahaha!

Firstly, i picked other, as i really dont care, all tyres feel like tyres? they slip when u reach limit. i have never ridin a bike on a tyre, then changed.. oh no wait, my GPZ750, yeah, but true it felt a little different, with the harder/mor efirm tyre it felt sharper, like less touching the ground, and quicker steering, perfect race tyre, i suggest anyone who can find an old continental race rear tyre to use it on the front! works a treat.. i think it was continental? who can remember?

anyways so i dont know much :) but just ride on whatever the previous owner chose for you. :done:

meh.

Blackbird
17th August 2003, 17:10
I support Wkid with the use of an AccuGauge - absolutely essential if you're going to get it right!

Yep, 42 psi front presure!  The 'bird is 229 kg dry and has slight front end bias.  Bridgestone even manufacture a special BT 020 for it (which isn't available in NZ, so that's why I use Azaro ST's).  And the front tyre gets plenty hot :D

Coldkiwi
18th August 2003, 12:26
I've experienced squirming on both ends of the pressure scale. thrashing from whangamata to Hikuai not only buggered my rear tyre (got up to 48Psi when I stopped to find out why!) but didn't do much for the confidence at the rear. Some prick let 10psi out of my rear tyre at work (a few times) as well and that felt VERY unnerving. Gotta get'im right!

ps. When is the sun going to stay out for 24 hours in this darn city!? I have a perfectly good supercorsa on the front now and no dry roads to try the slick edges on!! grrrrrrrrrrrr :angry2:

James Deuce
4th March 2004, 14:03
Currently have Michelin Macadam 90X on the TRX and the bike handles beautifully on them if the pressures are right. A bit lacking in grip in cold and damp conditions.

Currently weighing up whether ot not to go for the Macadam 100X or Pilot Road for my next set. They are the same compound, but different profile and tread pattern.

Blackbird
4th March 2004, 16:23
Currently have Michelin Macadam 90X on the TRX and the bike handles beautifully on them if the pressures are right. A bit lacking in grip in cold and damp conditions.

Currently weighing up whether ot not to go for the Macadam 100X or Pilot Road for my next set. They are the same compound, but different profile and tread pattern.

Jim,
There are rarely bad tyres per se, just bad choices for how you ride! I had 90X's on the 'bird for a while. They certainly lasted incredibly well but as I grew in confidence in using the power of the bike, I found that grip became an issue and went to softer compound tyres. This pushed the purchase price up as well as shortening tyre life. It all comes down to "fitness for purpose".

Geez - that was a bit philisophical :whistle:

Geoff

James Deuce
4th March 2004, 17:49
Jim,
There are rarely bad tyres per se, just bad choices for how you ride! I had 90X's on the 'bird for a while. They certainly lasted incredibly well but as I grew in confidence in using the power of the bike, I found that grip became an issue and went to softer compound tyres. This pushed the purchase price up as well as shortening tyre life. It all comes down to "fitness for purpose".

Geez - that was a bit philisophical :whistle:

Geoff

The TRX is heaps lighter than a Blackbird and around half the horsepower, so I think you're right about "fitness for purpose".

I certainly don't have issues with traction WFO exiting corners (eh Blink :)). They just seem a bit dodgy in the wet. The new compound might fix that, and I just found out that a set of 100X Macadams is exactly the same price as the Pilot Roads.

Thanks for the feedback Geoff :)

DEATH_INC.
4th March 2004, 18:42
I prefer the pilot sport.
They do the HPX for big fast bikes,had 'em on the ZX12,great tyre,still spin up outta corners though,but at least you got some drive,unlike the diablo's which were shit.
I have Diablo's on the 7fiddy too,and don't like them on it either.....
Used Avon supersports on the Gixx before,interesting tyre.....you had to have the gas dialled on for them to work....which meant accelerating INTO the corners,bit hairy at first but ok once you got used to it....

Coldkiwi
4th March 2004, 19:37
interesting reading on these tyre pressures. I'm using 30 in the rear and 31 in teh front on the diablo corsas for my commuting (hey, i enjoy it) and thrashing. works a treat :)
36Plus seems awful high and damaging to tyres!

Cajun
5th March 2004, 08:57
I stick to michelin pilots (c:< i only ride on michelins first and second bridgestones nothing else,

Pressure wise, i run my rear a little harder than man specs but its suits my riding also good having an air compressor at home means i can adjust pressures at home before leaving for anywhere

riffer
5th March 2004, 09:03
Wow. I'm following Yamaha's recommendations and using 36 front, 42 rear.

aff-man
5th March 2004, 10:06
Well i used to have pielli mtro2 at the rear and mrt01 in the front but then they stopped importing the mtr02's. So after much deliberation i blew the budget and got a dunlop gp80 on the rear and mtr01 on the front. The grip was a bit loose at first on the back but after about 600 - 700 km it started to settle right in and havn't had any problems yet. I also find that when the back does start to slide out the tyre just smoothly let go and then smoothly gripped back without any problems what so ever.

merv
5th March 2004, 20:33
Wow. I'm following Yamaha's recommendations and using 36 front, 42 rear.

Exactly the same as the VFR 36, 42 and they feel fine. I'm on Michelins these days and they still have quite a soft feel to them especially compared to the rat-awful MEZ4s I had before.

scroter
14th May 2004, 15:51
interesting reading on these tyre pressures. I'm using 30 in the rear and 31 in teh front on the diablo corsas for my commuting (hey, i enjoy it) and thrashing. works a treat :)

yep the book says 36psi front and rear. I droped them both 2 to 3 psi and that was good not so bumpy too :stoogie:

Coldkiwi
14th May 2004, 23:32
yep the book says 36psi front and rear. I droped them both 2 to 3 psi and that was good not so bumpy too :stoogie:

yeah... you want to get rid of those stock dunlops ASAP mate. I think anything will perform better than what they've shod these gixxers with

FROSTY
15th May 2004, 00:26
keep this up guys cos im confused as hell about the modern tyres
i was set on a set of pilot race ---then I got told nope they aint as sticky as the dunlops or the metzlers

White trash
15th May 2004, 12:15
keep this up guys cos im confused as hell about the modern tyres
i was set on a set of pilot race ---then I got told nope they aint as sticky as the dunlops or the metzlers

For your bike, Dunlop GPR70 or Dunlop slicks. You will NOT be dissapointed and they'll last well.

DrHook
15th May 2004, 12:20
Anyone uses/used Continental Contiforce? I do and it works for me so far.

Cheers!

SPman
15th May 2004, 12:50
After extensive trials, I've found that round black tyres, with air in them, work best for me.!

Grumpy
15th May 2004, 14:30
Michelin Pilot sport were all I would run on my TL's but since trying out some Diablos on my 1400 I'm a converted man. I hated the bridgestones that came on the bike.

Jackrat
15th May 2004, 19:07
Iv'e just replaced the Avon's that were on the bike when I bought it for a Pirelli on the front and a Bridgestone on the back.
This is first time Iv'e ever mixed brands but they work well togeather.I got them on the advice of Mt Eden Motorcycles and am very happy so far.
A bike like mine has a hard time stressing a modern tyre so unless I buy shing dings or something like that I have it pretty good with tyres.

What?
15th May 2004, 19:41
After extensive trials, I've found that round black tyres, with air in them, work best for me.!
Know what you mean. I had an Avon Roadrunner once that had no air in the bottom bit, and it was shite.

Kwaka-Kid
16th May 2004, 12:57
xjxjxj. I have tried both the Dunlop GPR70SP's and D207GP's which are 2 highly rated tyres. In my opinion they are great, but i did for some random reason prefer my Bridgestone BT090's. and have a set of the newest BT014's coming in really soon (cant wait). But i would also like to give the michy's a run too, after loving there old crossply tyres. Im too stubborn to even try metzler on the track however.

FROSTY
16th May 2004, 19:55
well KK ill probably go for the 090's

wkid_one
16th May 2004, 20:02
Interesting comments about the tyres that come on bikes. It appears no one likes the the tyres than come with their bikes. One would assume that these are the tyres that the manu does all the testing on - and therefore should be the tyres best suited to the bike.

My guess is that is comes down to the riders mind - rather than any rational decision. We ride what we are comfortable riding and have confidence in. I would hazard a guess - that none of us (if riding in a controlled and brand blind situation) - would be able to tell the difference between M1's, 208's, Diablos, 012's etc or between Rennsports and Super Corsas. I seperate these two as you can definitely tell the difference of these from the others.

wkid_one
16th May 2004, 20:05
Ummm, I would hate to say it - but your pressures are incredibly low - read the side wall of your tyres.......you risk delaminating the tyre through over heating the sidewall at low pressures when commuting because the tyre will never get hot enuf to increase the tyre pressure to an effective pressure.

I would only go that low on an warm-hot day on the track. Esp 31 in the front....talk about vague when cold.

FROSTY
16th May 2004, 20:34
Interesting comments about the tyres that come on bikes. It appears no one likes the the tyres than come with their bikes. One would assume that these are the tyres that the manu does all the testing on - and therefore should be the tyres best suited to the bike.

My guess is that is comes down to the riders mind - rather than any rational decision. We ride what we are comfortable riding and have confidence in. I would hazard a guess - that none of us (if riding in a controlled and brand blind situation) - would be able to tell the difference between M1's, 208's, Diablos, 012's etc or between Rennsports and Super Corsas. I seperate these two as you can definitely tell the difference of these from the others.
Now that would be an interesting "taste" test. Get experienced riders to take their bike out for a series of blind tests. Actually give their opinion as to how tyres perform without knowing what brand or grade they are

DEATH_INC.
16th May 2004, 20:49
Ummm, I would hate to say it - but your pressures are incredibly low - read the side wall of your tyres.......you risk delaminating the tyre through over heating the sidewall at low pressures when commuting because the tyre will never get hot enuf to increase the tyre pressure to an effective pressure.

I would only go that low on an warm-hot day on the track. Esp 31 in the front....talk about vague when cold.
I only run 32 in the front of mine,35 rear.....works well and I've had no probs with de-laminating.....

Balrog
24th May 2004, 16:30
I find that Diablos taste the best :D

White trash
24th May 2004, 16:50

Get a job! :shake:

Motoracer
24th May 2004, 17:04

Does it smell the best too after all that tire cooking on the busha? :shit:

How long does it last anyway (as in Ks)?

wkid_one
24th May 2004, 19:17
Should try leaning the thing over once in a while

Balrog
24th May 2004, 23:22
Does it smell the best too after all that tire cooking on the busha? :shit:

How long does it last anyway (as in Ks)?

:) It lasted about 4500ks, but that was mainly because I was doing
a lot of touring with my lady on the back, tank bags, pack, tent etc.

Bike must have been weighing in at around 430+kg with all that on, combined with a tour round hot north island roads, followed by a blat down to Alexander with "Mr Get A Job" :bleh: and that was one toasted rear tyre. Just a heavy load and long distance chewing it out so quick.

It still handled alright even being that shredded ( glad I didn't notice it while riding down to alex), but we had to replace it to get home. Front tyre is only just going after nearly 9000ks.

I'm running a Pirellii Dragon GTS on the back now( which I bought in alex ), and I'm getting a bit better
wear out of it, but I haven't done any touring for a while so it hasn't been under the same strain.
To be honest I haven't noticed a lot of difference handling wise going from the diablo to the harder compound dragon, it seems to hold the traction just
as well and works fine with the diablo front.

Jim.

Balrog
24th May 2004, 23:26
Deleted ... :doh:

wkid_one
25th May 2004, 07:21
It is called a joke - look it up. It was actually sarcastic flattery - but anywho

White trash
25th May 2004, 07:37
:) It lasted about 4500ks, but that was mainly because I was doing
a lot of touring with my lady on the back, tank bags, pack, tent etc.

Bike must have been weighing in at around 430+kg with all that on, combined with a tour round hot north island roads, followed by a blat down to Alexander with "Mr Get A Job" :bleh: and that was one toasted rear tyre. Just a heavy load and long distance chewing it out so quick.

It still handled alright even being that shredded ( glad I didn't notice it while riding down to alex), but we had to replace it to get home. Front tyre is only just going after nearly 9000ks.

I'm running a Pirellii Dragon GTS on the back now( which I bought in alex ), and I'm getting a bit better
wear out of it, but I haven't done any touring for a while so it hasn't been under the same strain.
To be honest I haven't noticed a lot of difference handling wise going from the diablo to the harder compound dragon, it seems to hold the traction just
as well and works fine with the diablo front.

Jim.

Who is that sexy bird posing with the overloaded 'Bus' and whats her phone number?!

"Hi Marie!"

That sure was a good ride, Jim. You'll be starter for next year? Then we can practice elaning our bikes over :lol:

Balrog
25th May 2004, 09:40
It is called a joke - look it up. It was actually sarcastic flattery - but anywho

Sorry dude, late night, lack of coffee and sick of looking for a job.
Didn't mean to be snarky

Jim.

Balrog
25th May 2004, 10:01
Who is that sexy bird posing with the overloaded 'Bus' and whats her phone number?!

"Hi Marie!"

That sure was a good ride, Jim. You'll be starter for next year? Then we can practice elaning our bikes over :lol:

I'm in, only this time I'll bring the wet weather gear :Oops:

Now if I can just get this knee down while still being attached to the bike...

wkid_one
25th May 2004, 18:15
Sorry dude, late night, lack of coffee and sick of looking for a job.
Didn't mean to be snarky

Jim.
What do you do?

Two Smoker
25th May 2004, 18:19
Hey Busajim, did you like the Diablo's???? im thinking about putting them on my dad's CBR1100, maybe a corsa on the front though, how much was the Dragon GTS????

Cheers

Balrog
25th May 2004, 20:25
Hey Busajim, did you like the Diablo's???? im thinking about putting them on my dad's CBR1100, maybe a corsa on the front though, how much was the Dragon GTS????

Cheers

Hey Two Smoker
I really like them, I plan to replace my Diablo front with another when it wears out. Its lasted really well and grips like its nailed to the road.
The Diablo rear is just as good, even worn like in that picture it was still staying planted. The bike handled and cornered really well, even fully loaded and moving it. They are expensive though.

I replaced the stuffed rear with a Dragon GTS ( $320 I think), because that was the only other tyre that was available in Alex. In the end I didn't really notice a lot of difference going from the Diablo to the Dragon. The Dragon's a harder compound tyre so I may stick with it to get some longer life out of the rear. It seems to hold the road pretty good so far, but I haven't really pushed it.

The Diablo looked like it was going to last the weekend round trip from Welly to Alex and back, but for some reason that trip was a bit hard on the tyres :whistle: ( probably all those latte bowls eh jim )

Two Smoker
25th May 2004, 20:49
Cheers Jim, ill probably go for the Diablo's 4500kms is ok for a bike with that power and 9000kms for the front is bloody good, im also looking forward to the BMC airfilter im putting in his bike hehehe

Balrog
25th May 2004, 22:54
What do you do?

Software Developer in a nutshell. ( nut house lately :brick: )

fastford111
12th June 2004, 17:30
have to say that you cant go past a set of pilot sports had a set of avon azzaros on my last bike the worst tyres i have ever ridden on i think if i had to choose between azzaro or a chingshin it would be chingshin all the way :shit:

Mongoose
12th June 2004, 20:25
Round black thingies preferabley with grippy bits on them. Usually Conti Tour or Metzeler. Both give me enough grip for my riding style and last long enough for my liking too

crazylittleshit
14th December 2004, 16:35
m1's can't say enough about them.

MY FAVOURITE QUOTE
They keep me alive. :niceone:

enigma51
14th December 2004, 16:45
Diablo corsa front and diablo back awesome tyres

Motoracer
14th December 2004, 16:54
For the track and hard road riding, Metzeler Racetec, there is no substitute for it. End of story.