PDA

View Full Version : New barriers being erected around Wairau Park

pyrocam
12th February 2008, 14:44
I noticed these a week ago, around the closed off section where they are opening up a third lane each way near the Hoyts.

I thought we petitioned to stop any more being installed? did we fail? do we need more signatures?

It infuriates me to see after all this effort they are still installing more barriers.

Waxxa
12th February 2008, 16:01
Any decision on removing 'Cheesecutters' all together and replaced with another system of barrier will take YEARS to make the decision. And if that decision is accepted, where will the funds come from to substitute the 'Cheesecutters'? And if the funding was available, it will take YEARS for all 'Cheesecutters' around the country to be replaced.

This campaign will be a long and painful quest. It will take an unrelenting and combined effort from the biker community to win this battle.

pyrocam
12th February 2008, 17:07
Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting them to replace them all or anything yet.
But we petitioned to stop new ones being erected until further research could be done.

We, the undersigned, are concerned about the safety of wire traffic barriers and their increasing presence on New Zealand roads and highways. We urge Transit New Zealand, Land Transport New Zealand and the Ministry of Transport to place a moratorium on the use of such barriers until a comprehensive review is undertaken into the effectiveness and safety of wire traffic barriers to all road users, particularly motorcyclists.

WelshWizard
12th February 2008, 17:24
I noticed these a week ago, around the closed off section where they are opening up a third lane each way near the Hoyts.

I thought we petitioned to stop any more being installed? did we fail? do we need more signatures?

It infuriates me to see after all this effort they are still installing more barriers.

First LTNZ don't give a F**k about motorcyclist and their safety
Yes we have started a petition, but it is ongoing the more sigs the better, get involved goto the cheese cutter site and print of some petition forms and get them signed,
We have to get serious , maybe we don't yet have to do it the way they did in Oz or Sweden, but yes we have to keep hammering at them, and remember its not just Motorcyclist at risk, how many Lorries, Cars , etc have these things failed to stop crossing the road onto the other lane, and how many have died because the WRBs failed to deflect the cars etc.

I know some are getting a little short on control, hopefully we can get these things banned or modified before some one loses control and takes removal into their own hands.

madandy
13th February 2008, 08:43
Any decision on removing 'Cheesecutters' all together and replaced with another system of barrier will take YEARS to make the decision. And if that decision is accepted, where will the funds come from to substitute the 'Cheesecutters'? And if the funding was available, it will take YEARS for all 'Cheesecutters' around the country to be replaced.

This campaign will be a long and painful quest. It will take an unrelenting and combined effort from the biker community to win this battle.

Two words: GAS AXE.

Bikernereid
13th February 2008, 08:55
I know that you are organising petitions and that is very respectful but have you guys not thought about peace road blocks. It has worked for the French. When you stop a country from functioning and hit the ecomony it really hurts and gets results. Petitions show peoples sentiment but do the politicians really listen and care?

I have spent years working in politics and have been an elected official and to be honest I have found that direct action works more often than not. If you can get someone credible to stand for in a future election that is one way of tackling the situation from the inside.

Good luck.

westie
13th February 2008, 10:49
Thinking bout getting a $100 car and drive around crashing into the barriers. They'll surely have to be replaced then!

pyrocam
13th February 2008, 10:52
hey it is an election year. now WOULD be the the time for some more action.

but of course I don't condone anything illegal, I'm sure road blocking could backfire and turn out a bit costly for some.

Bikernereid
13th February 2008, 10:55
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/20747.stm

Just goes to show what can be done when people get organised!!

Yes doesn't Tony look young, another Labour tw*t.

Magua
18th February 2008, 15:09
I was riding along the Northern Motorway the other day and they seem to have removed them just north of the Northcote interchange.