PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Harley engineers work on diesel motorcycle

Bob
14th February 2008, 01:55
A group of former Harley-Davidson engineers, calling themselves the “Gray Eagles”, are working on the development of a diesel powered motorcycle – appropriately, given their history – working out of Milwaukee.

The bike – a prototype based on a Harley 1988-vintage FXRS chassis featuring a V-twin gasoline engine converted to run on diesel fuel – was initially developed as a demonstration of engine technology for the U.S. military. Reportedly it can top 100 mph and get about 80 miles per gallon of fuel at normal highway speeds.

Head of project Nick Hirsch, who was Harley's director of advanced engineering, said "This is our first cut at it. We can improve the performance to where it's better than a stock gasoline engine."

skidMark
14th February 2008, 02:44
A group of former Harley-Davidson engineers, calling themselves the “Gray Eagles”, are working on the development of a diesel powered motorcycle – appropriately, given their history – working out of Milwaukee.

The bike – a prototype based on a Harley 1988-vintage FXRS chassis featuring a V-twin gasoline engine converted to run on diesel fuel – was initially developed as a demonstration of engine technology for the U.S. military. Reportedly it can top 100 mph and get about 80 miles per gallon of fuel at normal highway speeds.

Head of project Nick Hirsch, who was Harley's director of advanced engineering, said "This is our first cut at it. We can improve the performance to where it's better than a stock gasoline engine."

80 MPG blimin heck thats good.

Mind you my mates SBK modified ZX10-R get 230k's from a tank before reserve (with pillion!). and my ZXR250 with same amount of fuel only gets 180, before reserve.

Both on open road. in saying this the zx10 doesnt have to go over 3-4k to keep up. where as my carbyd 250 is doing 19k rpm ringing the snot off it.

Damn these new fandangled fuel injecatewrmatered thingmajiggys!

Pwalo
14th February 2008, 06:46
I thought the US Military were already using a diesel engined KLR 650? Can't see how a 1980s based HD can seriously compete. It's not April 1 over there is it Bob?

CookMySock
14th February 2008, 06:52
Mind you my mates SBK modified ZX10-R get 230k's from a tank before reserve (with pillion!). and my ZXR250 with same amount of fuel only gets 180, before reserveis there something wrong with my 650 then ? I get 350km out of 15 litres. 4.3l/100km or 60mpg.

DB

Bob
14th February 2008, 07:26
I thought the US Military were already using a diesel engined KLR 650? Can't see how a 1980s based HD can seriously compete. It's not April 1 over there is it Bob?

Pretty sure they are - not sure how this differs, except that perhaps the technique of converting a petrol engine to run on diesel might have commercial benefits?

As for the chassis - given the pedigree of the guys doing the development (from what I can tell they're pretty much all older guys who used to be at H-D), guessing they had a good supply line of older H-D frames?

Steam
14th February 2008, 09:15
I thought the US Military were already using a diesel engined KLR 650? Can't see how a 1980s based HD can seriously compete.

Pretty sure they are - not sure how this differs

The Diesel KLR's are for the military market, the USA is buying them all, so there aren't any left over for the civilian market.
The Harley diesels will be sold to the general public, unsuited as they are for desert and offroad work.

nick69
9th March 2008, 21:00
i thought Harleys were already Diesels! certainly make your fillings rattle!!:devil2:

pete376403
9th March 2008, 21:57

The KLR is 80s technology too...
But the engine is all new, Hayes Diversified (HD!!) make them. While they plan to make a civiliam version, currently the military is taking their entire output