PDA

View Full Version : Manfeild Track day report

Hoon
21st November 2004, 10:35
Well LooseBruce and I carried on down to the Manfeild Track day on Fri (19th Nov) after our Fred Merkel coaching the day before.

It was my first visit to Manfeild. I've heard lots of stories about what a goat track the surface is but it wasn't anywhere near as bad and similar to Puke and Taupo. It was a beautiful day and there were about 20+ bikes and only 10 cars!!! It was bikes/cars/bikes/cars all day which meant we only had a chance to catch our breath before we were back out again (we had done 4 sessions by 12pm!!). If that wasn't enough they also made the last session (I gave up counting after 8) a 40 min endurance session!

All the big guns were out too - Brian Bernard, Karl Morgan, Jared Love, Carey Brier, Glenn Williams, Shaun Harris were the ones I recognized but there was bound to be others judging by the big trailers and shiny new race bikes around.

Manfeild is very different to Pukekohe and Taupo in terms of layout. I found my riding technique lacking in a few areas due to lack of exposure to the type of turns Manfeild has. Lots of fast straights with hard braking at the end before tipping into long sweeping corners - great stuff. My brakes also got a good workout with 5 braking points per lap (as opposed to Pukes 1 per lap). But a lot of nice banked turns with exits that open into long straights.

LooseBruce has some good onboard footage so I'll put that up too once I get it sorted.

However the rough surface killed what was left of my rear tyre so I'm on the lookout for a new set (Supercorsas or Pilot Race slicks 120/60/17 160/60/17) if anyone knows of any good deals!!

FROSTY
21st November 2004, 10:42
Glad it was good for ya brother. Its a bloody good job I diddn't try to join ya--My van threw a big expensive hissy fit about halfway home .Mella yella and all jy gear is in cambridge somewhere.--arggggg

magnum
21st November 2004, 10:44
hey good on yas,anyone have an idea how often manfield has these open days?or where to find out?thanx. :beer:

Hoon
21st November 2004, 10:59
I let my mouse do the walking.

http://www.manfeild.co.nz/testdays.asp

Unfortunately it looks like Fridays one was the last for a while - no wonder it was so busy!! :(

Juan
22nd November 2004, 04:12
Looks fun if just afew too many tyre walls to bounce off :devil2:

scroter
22nd November 2004, 11:21
Looks fun if just afew too many tyre walls to bounce off :devil2:

if i had an F4 and a Brutale i think i would find it so easy to leave huge amounts of room for error and not bounce of anything. course i couldnt afford 1/2 of one of them though.

Two Smoker
5th December 2004, 07:45
Sorry Hoon only just saw this..... Looks like you had a shitload of fun..... That supercorsa is well and truely shagged....

Talk to Alistar or Dan at Colemans... they will do a good deal on them :niceone: just tell them you race, and i put you onto them lol....

Slicks cost more than the supercorsa's so i would stick too the latter.....

Hoon
6th December 2004, 09:54
Yep Alistair has already sorted me out. They also have 160x60x17 Dragon Supercorsa racing slicks in stock as well ($350) which got sent accidentally.

Two Smoker
6th December 2004, 18:57
Yep Alistair has already sorted me out. They also have 160x60x17 Dragon Supercorsa racing slicks in stock as well ($350) which got sent accidentally.So that was your ZXR400 rim sitting in there with the new supercorsa..... That other supercorsa sitting there is mine lol... I thought about the slicks, but too much and take too long to heat up :(