PDA

View Full Version : CBR250RR

Coyote
21st November 2004, 17:11
Just got a 1992 CBR250RR (yay) and I'm about to go out and get my licence. Just wanted to know if there is any potential flaws with the bike I should look out for e.g rust in certain areas or parts that need regular checks.

k14
21st November 2004, 17:35
Nope, its a honda, so its perfect :2thumbsup

But seriously, there isn't anything on the CBR250's are well known for failing. Just check the normal things, make sure it has had it's oil changed regularly etc. If it has done over 30000kms make sure it has had it's valve clearances checked. Nothing else i can think of.

Coyote
21st November 2004, 17:41
I was lucky to get this bike. It has only done just under 19,000kms. Plus its only got minor cuts and sctratches. Only been able to ride it up and down my driveway since I haven't got my licence yet.

Her_C4
21st November 2004, 17:56
Just got a 1992 CBR250RR (yay) and I'm about to go out and get my licence. Just wanted to know if there is any potential flaws with the bike I should look out for e.g rust in certain areas or parts that need regular checks.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :yeah:

Thats a pretty awesome bike you have there - bet you will really enjoy it :first: Just not too fast up and down that driveway eh?? ;)

John
21st November 2004, 18:04
My mate had one, it still runs fine to my knowledge, they are good bikes (even though honda :P!) pretty much keep it serviced, treat it nice and it returns the favour.

On another note, why cant you get your licence for two more weeks?

jase
21st November 2004, 18:11
Apart from the normal oil change and tyre wear, my old cbr went perfect
for the few years I had it.

Congrads on the new bike.

SPORK
21st November 2004, 19:55
Her_B4, it's your old one if I remember correctly, eh? Saw it today, VERY nice! Now I am sad I have 5 more months to go :cry:

Blakamin
22nd November 2004, 06:48
Well done!!!! cant wait to see you on the road!

Coyote
22nd November 2004, 16:17
On another note, why cant you get your licence for two more weeks?
Here is the story:

You myst get your basic handling skills test done before you apply for your licence (so I'm told) and the place me and my dad have been reccomended to go to is the guys who run their basic handling skills course at the riverbank carpark in Lower Hutt. These guys run it every second saturday morning. The last time they did it was last saturday morn. The only time my dad could pick up the CBR was saturday afternoon, so I missed going there this time and have to wait two more weeks till the next time. :2thumbsupBRILLIANT!!!:2thumbsup

Don't you hate it when fate conspirers against you?

Her_C4
22nd November 2004, 18:23
Her_B4, it's your old one if I remember correctly, eh? Saw it today, VERY nice! Now I am sad I have 5 more months to go :cry:

Well not any more its not!!!! :mellow: ....

Look forward to seeing you on the road Alarumba :sunny:

The Pastor
29th November 2004, 06:22
Here is the story:

You myst get your basic handling skills test done before you apply for your licence (so I'm told) and the place me and my dad have been reccomended to go to is the guys who run their basic handling skills course at the riverbank carpark in Lower Hutt. These guys run it every second saturday morning. The last time they did it was last saturday morn. The only time my dad could pick up the CBR was saturday afternoon, so I missed going there this time and have to wait two more weeks till the next time. :2thumbsupBRILLIANT!!!:2thumbsup

Don't you hate it when fate conspirers against you?

You dont have to do the cource on your bike, they should provide a suitable bike to do it on, I did mine on a gn250, didnt get much over 30Ks during the whole coruce though it was just carpark driving for an hour :pinch:

Blakamin
29th November 2004, 08:50
You dont have to do the cource on your bike, they should provide a suitable bike to do it on, I did mine on a gn250, didnt get much over 30Ks during the whole coruce though it was just carpark driving for an hour :pinch:
but it is good to do it on your own bike! in fact, when i did mine, the guy recommended I did it on my bike!
Much better than the gn125s they had!

ZorsT
29th November 2004, 16:30
The one thats near me makes you pay rental for their bike, suppose thats fair enough.That means its cheaper to do it on your own bike, so why not?

Coyote
29th November 2004, 17:16
The course I'm taking is with this group of instructors that go down to the Riverbank carpark in lower hutt, and they require you to bring your own bike. I've ridden the CBR to at least 30 on the driveway, so I think I'll do o.k on the day. Next Saturday! Can't wait

aff-man
29th November 2004, 17:35
Congrats. Only thing i can say is that it is a honda and thier charging systems are crap. You may survive but if it starts giving you problems check the reg/rec first.

Congrats again and i hope you have fun. Doubt you'll be getting any sleep this week hahahhahahaha

Coyote
29th November 2004, 17:44
Congrats. Only thing i can say is that it is a honda and thier charging systems are crap. You may survive but if it starts giving you problems check the reg/rec first.

Congrats again and i hope you have fun. Doubt you'll be getting any sleep this week hahahhahahaha
Charging systems? I guess your on about the dynamo that charges the battery whilst your riding?

And yep, wont be getting any sleep

aff-man
29th November 2004, 19:19
Charging systems? I guess your on about the dynamo that charges the battery whilst your riding?

And yep, wont be getting any sleep

Nope i mean the rec/rec (little black box that converts the "dynamos" raw 120ish (ithink) ac volts into a nice 12v dc) They tend to go "poof" on honda's. I should know it did on the vt ..... twice and i got told to buy a big beefy one cause they are all shoit. :shutup:

But i wouldn't worry to much, them CBR's be real sturdy (and quick) beasts.

Velox
12th December 2004, 22:08
Nope i mean the rec/rec (little black box that converts the "dynamos" raw 120ish (ithink) ac volts into a nice 12v dc) They tend to go "poof" on honda's. I should know it did on the vt ..... twice and i got told to buy a big beefy one cause they are all shoit. :shutup:

But i wouldn't worry to much, them CBR's be real sturdy (and quick) beasts.
My bike's got some similar guts to a CBR (so I'm told) and the reg/rec went "poof" on me too. And it's a Honda, so there might be a bit of truth in that. I think it had only done about 40-50,000 ks at the time as well.

TwoSeven
13th December 2004, 12:46
I dont think that statement holds true. The reg/rect on a honda is a common part used on many brands of bike. They take quite a bit of punishment (heat) - just ask any vfr owner :)

Usually they go bang because of misuse, like dodgy electrics or bad mounting (they are usually mounted on a heat sync of some kind). Last one I saw fried was because some dude at put a bit of wire in where a fuse should have been. You could see the black burns down the wires and melted connectors where it had been cooked.

R00T
2nd January 2005, 21:20
Nice one mate, you have made a good choice getting the Honda.
I have had a few and the only thing I would suggest is to get the carbs set-up well by a trained professional if they appear to be flat spotting (accelerate in 3rd from 2000rpm all the way to the red line, did it feel like it was holding back at certain revs, repeat several times to be sure).
Motomart have a dyno (Lower Hutt) and some clever screwdrivers to set your bike up, or take it to Sawyers/Motorad and get it booked in for Paul to have a look at it.
If you take the bodywork off yourself you will save about $50-$75 off the bill which will probably be around the $100-$200 mark.

I would recommend you check the oil before every ride for at least the first month, then every few rides after that if it appears to be fine.

If you don't have the manual for it you may want to look up the original spec off the net, I have attached a file below to help with Spec for you.

When its time to replace the tyres I would personally go for BT96, they really are an exceptional tyre for grip, life, and weight, and oversizing the rear actually makes the bike feel more planted on the road and a little less twitchy.