PDA

View Full Version : 2004 YZF R1

swanman
21st November 2004, 18:12
I bought this bike new about 6 weeks ago. I bought it because I liked the looks, the reviews were awesome, and I wanted to ride the ultimate sports bike.
I think I am just begining to get a bit stiff and sore on sports bikes as I get older and this will probably be the last super sports bike I have. WHen I saw one in my local dealer I traded in my ZX9r and took the plunge.

So how is it? Well to be honest I am still a bit undecided. There is no question that this is one fast motorbike. There is also no question that I am no Rossi! I have had it on the track twice, I use it to commute to work and take it out at weekends for rides so I guess I have got a pretty good impression of it.

SO let's break it down.

Engine: Fast, big top end, reasonable grunt. Light vibes at cruising speeds, but just builds power progessively, above 7000 rpm it gets ferocious all the way to about 12500 rpm. I have actually done power wheelies on this bike, and beleive me I can not wheelie! In every gear accelerating hard the front end goes light and start to skip along the tarmac, or actually comes up and inch or so. So yes a good motor. The first time I gave it some stick after I ran it in, it took my breath away I actually giggled in my helmet like a silly school girl.

Gearbox: occasionaly notchy, and the occasional false neutral. Generally slick and positive. FIrst gear is VERY tall, in my opinion too tall for the road, though good on the track.

Brakes: everyone raves about these brakes. To be honest I think they are average, feel is ok, power is ok but not earth shattering by any stretch.

Handling: On the track the bike obviously has more ability than I. I find though that the suspension is very firm on the road, and if you soften the suspension for the road you do loose that sense of being "wired." I am a little supsicious of the front end, yes it is flighty under hard acceleration , and it does flick about when you hit cats eyes etc, but that is no biggie. I have had a number of little front end slides (surely one of the most unpleasant feelings in biking!) which I find disconcerting. To be honest I put this down to the tyre. It is a dunlop 208 and is supposed to be super sticky but I think it is too slow to heat up and get sticky and if it is wet or cold it loses heat too quickly.

Comfort: The position only makes sense when you are on the pace, otherwise it quickly becomes uncomfortable. I have riden more extreme bikes in this regard, but it is still pretty weight forward and legs tucked up etc. Wind protection is virtually nil unless you tuck your helmet into the very low screen.

Other stuff: Pillion forget about it. Fuel economy is allright, the looks are cool. Induction roar at speed is neat. Carrying luggage is difficult. The instruments are excellent. Fuel injection seems to work very well, no choke etc, always starts first press of the tit.

In conclusion: I am still undecided about this bike. In order to have fun or make true sense of this bike you have to go fast! I mean fast. This is what it is designed to do. As soon as you come off the pace (which is most of the time), it turns into a slightly uncomfortable means of transport. If I lived in Germany or some other country with autobahns, loads of long sweepers etc this bike would make more sense. In NZ with single carriage roads, often with grit, cows and bad drivers not to mention the inordinate amount of speed cops, you feel in the danger zone (for license and health) as soon as you give this bike some head.

I am already begining to look at those water cooled Ducati monsters as a possible future bike. :blah:

2_SL0
21st November 2004, 19:51
A nice honest review, excellent. :2thumbsup

swanman
21st November 2004, 20:01
Thanks mate. :cool:

enigma51
21st November 2004, 20:11
It is a dunlop 208 and is supposed to be super sticky but I think it is too slow to heat up and get sticky and if it is wet or cold it loses heat too quickly.

Change those dunlop for a diablo corsa front and a diablo at the back and you will love you bike in a new way DUNLOPS ARE SHIT TYRES just changed mine to Pirelli and it made a big difference

StoneChucker
21st November 2004, 20:41
You can carry a pillion (all be it a small one ;)), and I have. Only thing is, the pillion scratches the beautiful paint around the pillion seat (which is very small). So, advice to would-be 04R1 owners, put some of that vinyl/clear coat stuff around there if you plan to ride 2 up. That way you can remove it, leaving it good as new. Oh, pillion must know how to ride 2 up, supporting themselved on the tank, or you're family jewels will suffer :bash:

I'm not very good at writing bike reviews, but the smile on my face after a good ride should say it all. One of the points Yamaha makes is the instant and smooth power delivery helped by the fuel injection. The bikes optimum power is reached at about 12,500 rpm so they say, redlining at 13,750rpm, but you legally can never get it there. From memory, first gear can take you to 170km/h. Honestly ScumDog, I was only in first gear, I couldn't have been speeding! So yes, it has tall gears. The only problem I have with the gearbox, is in city bumper to bumper traffic. It isn't really an issue, you just need good clutch/throttle control, which after a long time become tiring. Out on the open road it's a dream. The notchyness Swannman is talking about is from the gearbox being new. The wearing in, and addition of synthetic oil after the run in do away with this issue.

Coming from a 250, I can't comment convincingly on too many aspects of the bike. The brakes I find are more than enough for me, I never worry about not being able to stop. I have found though, while going down the Takas, in a right hand corner, if I brake the front shudders a little, sometime quite violently. But, I guess you shouldn't be braking IN corners anyway...

In terms of comfort, it is no more, OR less comfortable than my CBR250. I can ride an easy 6 or even 8 hours (including the usual comfort stops), with the only discomfort being the USUAL sore wrist and arse which I got from my last bike. I think the lowering of the foot pegs from the previous models has helped heaps. Adding a double bubble will help to alleviate any annoying wind buffet, which I find is not that bad anyway (except at the sprints, and I assume the track)

In my opinion, what sets this bike apart from the other equally good litre sports are, the looks. I honestly haven't seen a better looking bike. The only bikes coming close, or equal, are the Aprillia RSVR Factory and at a push, the Ducati 999R (while the "double story" headlights are ugly as hell, they grow on you, like a Ducati fungus). Ofcourse, these are opinions which differ between people, but it was my deciding factor.

I am still getting to know the handling of mine. I don't feel confident as yet, to push it too far over, but that may be my inexperience, my recent bin or the fact that I haven't set up the suspension yet, which ideally needs to be done for every rider, as weight of rider is important. As I understand, suspension set up takes 2 people, and lots of fiddeling. So for now I'll leave it stock.

Instruments are really good, with customizable backlight and gear change indicator light, stopwatch, tripA and tripB, air temp, engine temp, etc. But, NO fuel gauge which I find rather silly. Normally you need to fill up around the 220km mark, with reserve taking you I guess up to about 265kms.

StoneChucker
21st November 2004, 20:44
I've just put Diablo Corsas on, so I'll be able to form an opinion shortly. One other thing, getting parts for this bike takes about 30 - 35 days shipping, if my current wait is anything to go by. :wacko:

Yamahamaman
21st November 2004, 20:49
I've just put Diablo Corsas on, so I'll be able to form an opinion shortly. One other thing, getting parts for this bike takes about 30 - 35 days shipping, if my current wait is anything to go by. :wacko:
Yamaha New Zealand were probably waiting for someone to break one so that they would know what parts to order in bulk. Your were probably the 'test case' :whistle:

StoneChucker
21st November 2004, 20:59
Yamahaman, funny you should say that. I'm almost certain I'm the first 04R1 bin in NZ, thats AT LEAST some comfort :no: :no:
I am waiting till I've been a member here for 125 days, so I can change my avatar text to... oh well, y'all have to wait and see :buggerd:

enigma51
21st November 2004, 21:07

I just put diablo's on and so far they are awesome

Firefight
21st November 2004, 21:19
Two good R1 reviews, I find the postion of the R6 fine, I also do rides of 6-8 hours and the odd 10 hour, have no problem with discomfort.

F/F :crazy:

bear
22nd November 2004, 12:17
Sounds like good fun boys. 170kph in first sounds dangerous!

fazersprog
5th October 2005, 13:40
I bought my new R1 from Red Baron recently. The deal included a 'DB screen as soon as they become available' but, so far, nothing happening. Do you know where I might get one from?

The 'Fazersprog' moniker comes from my last bike, an FZ1 Fazer. Practical, stylish, fast as hell and great all-rounder. So why change to a mental bum in the air rocket-ship? Because I love this R1. Simple really.

HDTboy
5th October 2005, 14:24
Talk about thread resurrection, Swanmans' R1 bit the dust earlier this year, as did Stonechuckers'.
Welcome to the site though Fazersprog

bugjuice
5th October 2005, 14:28
Talk about thread resurrection, Swanmans' R1 bit the dust earlier this year, as did Stonechuckers'.
Welcome to the site though Fazersprog
true, they both did unfortunately.. and they were both '04s I think..
Welcome tho, and good luck :niceone:

Sniper
5th October 2005, 14:40
Argh, thread ressurectors. No wonder there are so many hayfever suffers

Lou Girardin
5th October 2005, 14:49
I bought my new R1 from Red Baron recently. The deal included a 'DB screen as soon as they become available' but, so far, nothing happening. Do you know where I might get one from?

The 'Fazersprog' moniker comes from my last bike, an FZ1 Fazer. Practical, stylish, fast as hell and great all-rounder. So why change to a mental bum in the air rocket-ship? Because I love this R1. Simple really.

Don't give up, keeping ringing them till you get the screen or a refund.

dss3
5th October 2005, 15:51
Well I have sold the TL, gone to the darkside, sold my soul and brought a 2004 R1 myself. Will pick it up tommorrow night. Will be interesting to compare it to the TL. Will let you'll know my findings once I have a decent ride...

Bring on some sunshine :sunny: :niceone:

loosebruce
5th October 2005, 18:25
Well I have sold the TL, gone to the darkside, sold my soul and brought a 2004 R1 myself. Will pick it up tommorrow night. Will be interesting to compare it to the TL. Will let you'll know my findings once I have a decent ride...

What the fuck are you smoking man, there's nothing to compare it too. The only TL you can compare it too is mine, whangamata-waihi sounds like a plan, ya bitch.

Sparky Bills
5th October 2005, 18:45
Well its a bit older but my R1 (1999) does everything i could expect and more.
I absolutly love it!
Seems to be comfy at all speeds, very smooth, good handling blah blah..

ALthough, I would still love a newer one, I just dont think that i need one.

dss3
5th October 2005, 19:15
What the fuck are you smoking man, there's nothing to compare it too. The only TL you can compare it too is mine, whangamata-waihi sounds like a plan, ya bitch.

Bring it ya minga :done:

loosebruce
5th October 2005, 19:35
Bring it ya minga :done:

Minga!!!!! Oh its on now beeearch, you better hope you start and stay out front cause if i catch a glimpse of a R1 coming up the inside or round the outside of me, it's gonna meet the TL up close, what colour do you want me to leave on your fairings if you get close enough. And ya cant choose R1 blue :whistle:

dss3
5th October 2005, 19:39
Minga!!!!! Oh its on now beeearch, you better hope you start and stay out front cause if i catch a glimpse of a R1 coming up the inside or round the outside of me, it's gonna meet the TL up close, what colour do you want me to leave on your fairings if you get close enough. And ya cant choose R1 blue :whistle:

Yeah thats right, 'tis all on now! How the hell yould you catch a glimpse of me anyway? Your mirrors probably shake so much with the rest of ya bike your wouldn't be able to see shit! Not that it would matter cause i'd be a K up the road ahead of you by then anyway. Anyway, that's enough of the talk, better not get too carried away before I have to try and back some of it up!

Later bro, we'll have to suss out a coro trip soon as.

loosebruce
5th October 2005, 20:01
How the hell yould you catch a glimpse of me anyway? Your mirrors probably shake so much with the rest of ya bike your wouldn't be able to see shit!

Mirrors :mellow:

Coro trip for sure, couple of weeks though, need to save some coin, and give you time to get to know your new ride, would hate for you to bin it in the first week trying to keep up. Will let Death know so he can start saving too

Cibby
6th October 2005, 07:14
Oh dear.

I'm surposed to be riding with an R1 this weekend.. :argh:

How the hell am i gonna keep up on my lil cibby... :crybaby:

I guess i'll have to smile sweetly and hope like hell he slows down a bit.. haha

:devil2: :whistle:

sexy bikes thou boys.. :devil2:

HDTboy
6th October 2005, 09:15
You'll be right cibby, I can keep up with some big bikes so you'll be able to too

Cibby
6th October 2005, 09:58
You'll be right cibby, I can keep up with some big bikes so you'll be able to too

haha thanks for the vote of confidence.. muchely appreciated..

However i think i'll stick to smiling sweetly and see how i go. haha

besdies.. your cibby has a cooler can than mine.. :crybaby:

dss3
6th October 2005, 18:01
Well after riding 20km on the bike I feel I am now ready to ride a comprehensive, detailed and insightful review about this bike. Impression so far goes a bit like...

Ist impression:
Shit, first gear does 160... Shiiiit 2nd gear does 190... SHHIIIIT i am going to fast for this road... :-)

2nd impression:
Is is going? this is waaaaay to quiet with standard pipes!, this will be addressed as soon as wallet allows.

3rd impression:
Wheelie session, having done about 5km by now I figure its probably long over due I try wheelie the thing. Front end feels a bit light and shaky when lifting under moderate acceleration... solution, dont be such a puss, give it a handfull and get the thing in the air. Although doesn't feel as comfortable/stable one one as the TL, ... practise required here.

4th impression:
how the F*&K do I change the shiftlight from only 7000rpm? And how does the lap timer work? ....confusing...

well thats it for now, bit wet outside so further testing is pending some sunshine, bloddy comfy bike though, feels good.

ciao
Daryl

Zed
6th October 2005, 18:07
Well after riding 20km on the bike I feel I am now ready to ride a comprehensive, detailed and insightful review about this bike. Impression so far goes a bit like.BIG congrats on the new R1 Daryl!! Going up up up in the world! :niceone:

saul
6th October 2005, 18:20

Awesome mate I did the same, though I didn't quite have as much cash as you did, I made it (just) to a 1999 R1 :banana: :banana: Brilliant bike lotssss of fun.

If you guys are gonna do the whanga-waihi etc make sure you give me a bell :doobey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/saul123/R1Cleanandsecure006Medium.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/saul123/DSC03673_edited.jpg

swanman
6th October 2005, 19:01
Well I'm surprised to see this thread resurrected. Congrats on the bike, they are great and I do miss mine.

Since I wrote the original review I did a lot more ks on the bike on road and track. I also learned to wheelie on it and got my knee down for the first time too. So great bike.

They are quite easy to wheelie, but do not have the same low down grunt as say a gsxr1000, and the first gear is very tall. Power wheelie in 1st roll on hard from 6krpm up. In 2nd and maybe 3rd slip clutch from 7-10krpm and she'll just pop up. If you think you've over cooked it let the throttle go and she'll come straight down, even when it's at 12 oclock.

To adjust the rpm light (which is a waste of time btw) ignition on do not start, press the button on the left of the console, hold it in until the tacho needle jumps to the increment you want and then release. I think that's right. I have the instruction manual for the bike somewhere, it's your is you want it.

These bike are not crash resistant.

dss3
6th October 2005, 19:05
Yeah mate if i could take the manual off your hands in exchange for a beer that'd be mint! :niceone:

Zed
6th October 2005, 19:08
Well I'm surprised to see this thread resurrected. Congrats on the bike, they are great and I do miss mine.

Since I wrote the original review I did a lot more ks on the bike on road and track. I also learned to wheelie on it and got my knee down for the first time too. So great bike.

They are quite easy to wheelie, but do not have the same low down grunt as say a gsxr1000, and the first gear is very tall. Power wheelie in 1st roll on hard from 6krpm up. In 2nd and maybe 3rd slip clutch from 7-10krpm and she'll just pop up. If you think you've over cooked it let the throttle go and she'll come straight down, even when it's at 12 oclock.

To adjust the rpm light (which is a waste of time btw) ignition on do not start, press the button on the left of the console, hold it in until the tacho needle jumps to the increment you want and then release. I think that's right. I have the instruction manual for the bike somewhere, it's your is you want it.

These bike are not crash resistant.Good to read Fraser. Do you miss your old R1?

swanman
6th October 2005, 19:27
Good to read Fraser. Do you miss your old R1?

Damn right.

Cibby
8th October 2005, 13:07
Ok.

Seen as how i am now an expert on R1's (sat on one last night, rev'ed it a bit, rode behind it for a few hours) I thought i'd ahh.. post my review.

Ahh.. i can sit on it, it sounds hot, ummmm... it looks good, i look good on it..

what more of a review do you need??

Oh and it does great wheelies.

dss3
10th October 2005, 19:42
Time for a few mods now. 1st thing is to kill the cat... i.e. remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust, pretty simple to do and frees up the exhaust a smidgen and gives a slightly deeper note.

2nd mod is to remove the stock pipes and fit a larger ID perferated core. Standard is probably 1-1/2" (38.1mm.) I will be popping off the ends and replacing this with a 2" (50.8mm) core. This provides for a substantial increase in HP for little cost. Perferated core can be picked up from exhaust places like Coby for about $15/m. Basically you are getting the benefits of expensive aftermanket pipes for the price of a bit of pipe and some rivets. Not to mention the most important reason.... noise!

Next will be the removal of the "spade" on the rear and fitting of a integrated taillight to do away with the rear indicators. Will fit number plate up under tail section between pillion pegs.

Will post some pics when the jobs done and report findings on exhaust mods. Oh, be sure to adjust your fuel settings (done on the dash computer) to allow for your new free breathing pipes. :-)

Daryl