PDA

View Full Version : uphills

Voodoo
21st November 2004, 20:01
Hi me and my mate are quite new to the dirtbike scene(well bike scene in general) , anyway we are just weekend riders out for abit of fun, had our first decent weekend of thrashing on our new bikes, lots of fun, anyway we are looking at trying out afew uphill firebreaks , nothing to steep, but was wondering the best technique, well we went up afew small hills on the weekend, and i tried going up sitting on seat leaning forward and also standing leaning forward, noticed that while standing it seem more unstable , ie. the rear was more likey to slide around, is there a right way to do it? also what about downhills whats the best technique? and what about small up and overs, i tend to stand just incase i get abit airborn? :o

Firefight
21st November 2004, 21:07
Hi me and my mate are quite new to the dirtbike scene(well bike scene in general) , anyway we are just weekend riders out for abit of fun, had our first decent weekend of thrashing on our new bikes, lots of fun, anyway we are looking at trying out afew uphill firebreaks , nothing to steep, but was wondering the best technique, well we went up afew small hills on the weekend, and i tried going up sitting on seat leaning forward and also standing leaning forward, noticed that while standing it seem more unstable , ie. the rear was more likey to slide around, is there a right way to do it? also what about downhills whats the best technique? and what about small up and overs, i tend to stand just incase i get abit airborn? :o

Most always ride standing on pegs, lowers center of gravity, and most find it more stable, also easy to use body weight to steer and counter.

Use to do 4 hours cross countrys, pretty much on the pegs the whole way, also very hard to ride soft sand(Woodhill Forest) on the seat, follow any newbie on the sand that sits on the seat, their trail looks like a snakes trail.

F/F :blink:

Motu
21st November 2004, 21:10
Hills are fun - most important rule - never,ever sit down! If you do,it's the end of your hill climb,stay standing until you are ready to fall.Speed and monmenteum are the start,that doesn't mean fast either,if you can see the difference.The hill will be cut up at the bottom and maybe halfway up from all the failed attempts,so you have to get past there - hit the bottom flat nanah in 2nd or 3rd,on the red line...take a straight line,even if that means going over the worst stuff,it doesn't matter,changing lines and turning will result in failure,the speed and momenteum you built up on your approach will carry you over the worst of it,don't back off,keep it nailed.

This should get you halfway up - the next bit can be done a couple of ways...the first is my way,the trials riders way - stay standing and use your body to shift weight on the pegs...back for traction,forward to keep the front down,to the side for a turn,sometimes you can move across the track to take advantage of gradiants,ditches or better ground,just try and keep traction on the rear wheel,without looping.If it's still greasy and you're loosing traction and wheelspinning - bounce up and down on the pegs,you can get a bit there.Next you may have to sit down,and move into enduro rider mode - you should still be in the same gear...just smoke that rear tyre,keep it spinning at max revs,you are in friction traction mode,like a tracor pull...you'll either dig a big hole or get to the top.

What ever,you must stay positive - you want to get up the hill,take no prisoners,max attacK!

Voodoo
21st November 2004, 21:47
cheers for that, riding pushbike/mountainbikes i always stood, so it feels natural to do so, just thought id check,
so basicly the same could be said for downhills?

Cheers for the tips anyway!

im wished id discovered dirtbikes earlier, so much fun!

DEATH_INC.
21st November 2004, 21:56
I can't add any more to the uphills than what motu said,but for downhills the biggest mistake guys make is sitting(standing) too far back,keep your head over the bars,it stops the bike whacking you in the butt and flipping you (and it)over the bars...

Motu
22nd November 2004, 06:20
Up hill or down hill keep the weight centred over the pegs,one trick is to rotate your boots on the pegs so you are driving through them,rather than bending at the ankles (I can talk,I don't do that) Most important that is easy to monitor - keep the weight off the bars,if you find you are leaning on the bars and getting sore hands and arms,keep more centred on those pegs,set the bike up so you can.

F5 Dave
22nd November 2004, 08:47
Possibly to qualify it sort of depends on the severity of the downhill & the speed which it is taken. If it is rough but not scary steep then you can go at a whack but watch that rear end.

But: If it is a bit of a short drop but damn steep then I’m all over that rear guard. If you are too far forward your arms will fold & you need to keep that rear wheel down.