PDA

View Full Version : The rest of my thread's in pointless drivel

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:09
I started a very serious thread concerning motorcycle dynamics.
The title was tongue in cheek and the first post was just to get interest but I spent alot of time making drawings and making sure I had my facts correct.

Heres a bit of the continuation of it.

At what rpm would a point on a 0.6 metre diameter hoop be experiencing 2 g as it passes through the bottom and 0 g as it passes over the top?
Radius 0.3 metre.
g can be taken as 9.8 metres per second per second.

Answer 55rpm exerting a force of 1 G

And what is the centrifugal g force ignoring gravity at 884 rpm (100kph) on the same hoop 0.6metre diameter?

Answer 262.57 g (this is the outside of a 17 inch motorcycle wheel at 100kph)

http://www.msu.edu/~venkata1/gforce.htm

http://www.centrifuge.jp/cgi-bin/calc-e.cgi

Now some moderator who probably doesn't understand whats its about has deemed it pointless drivel. Well whoever the moderator was make yourself known to me please and your reason for your action.

One thing that did concern me about the thread is the quality of some of the others posting on it But what could I do. Well maybee I just take all my information out of it and start a new thread on another internet forum elsewhere.

Joni
17th February 2008, 17:15
Now some moderator who probably doesn't understand whats its about has deemed it pointless drivel. Well whoever the moderator was make yourself known to me please and your reason for your action.If you have a question/problem please pm Cajun or Mental Trousers.

I appreciate that you are frustrated, but if you ask the question through the right channels, you may get the answer.

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:29
Looks like I have my answer. Must say I'm really dissapointed but will start a new thread presenting the information without the pointless drivel at the start posted by some of the senior members on here that really should know better.

Joni
17th February 2008, 17:30
Looks like I have my answer.Not sure what answer you have concluded, I was just trying to help you find the answers easier.

James Deuce
17th February 2008, 17:32
There's no such thing as centrifugal force.

Grub
17th February 2008, 17:33
You have to admit, the original thread title was silly. I fell for it thinking you were taking the piss and you got all offended. I guess the signals were there at the beginning that this might be the result.

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:34

Grub
17th February 2008, 17:34

There's no such thing as no such thing too:)

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:36
Better move this to PD as well the the posters on it a full of it.

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:37
You have to admit, the original thread title was silly. I fell for it thinking you were taking the piss and you got all offended. I guess the signals were there at the beginning that this might be the result.

You could have just deleted your post.

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:39
So theres no problem with me presenting the information on a new thread? What section shall I start it in?

Grub
17th February 2008, 17:42
You could have just deleted your post.

You could have just taken the hint.

It turns out though that I was right to react that way since the mods also think it worthy of drivel. I left it there (but apologised!) as it was a legitimate response to the title and tone of your thread.

Skyryder
17th February 2008, 17:43
So theres no problem with me presenting the information on a new thread? What section shall I start it in?

I'd get back onside with mods and start in the PD section:rockon:

Skyryder

Mikkel
17th February 2008, 17:44
Seems that if you want a serious debate on a worthwhile subject these days you might as well start it out in PD to begin with and save yourself the annoyance of having it done for you.

onearmedbandit
17th February 2008, 17:45
Have you tried PM'ing either Cajun or MT about it?

Joni
17th February 2008, 17:46
Have you tried PM'ing either Cajun or MT about it?Mate I suggested that, but he seems quite happy just complaining in the general forums. :confused:

onearmedbandit
17th February 2008, 17:48
general forums. :confused:

Good point Joni, only just got home from a ride and didn't notice the forum. It's moved to site stuff for. For the time being.

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:49
I thought the title was great as after the initial start it kept most of the drivel posters off it.

GSVR
17th February 2008, 17:52
Mate I suggested that, but he seems quite happy just complaining in the general forums. :confused:

I just want to know who was responsable and why they never even had the decency to tell me why they did it.

I also want others to know where it is now.

Joni
17th February 2008, 17:55
I just want to know who was responsable and why they never even had the decency to tell me why they did it.

I also want others to know where it is now.The PM Cajun or MT.

You are not a silly guy Garry, I would hope you have realised threads like this dont result in any constructive information. If you had aksed the question of a SM or Admin, you would of known by now.

NighthawkNZ
17th February 2008, 18:13

I know... its all part of the earth sux theory... :scratch:

GSVR do as the others have suggest and PM the senior mod or Site admin... I don't know the thread you are talking about, but I am sure there must a have been a reason.

Mort
17th February 2008, 18:27
well I've enjoyed this thread so far.... Keep going:cool:

James Deuce
17th February 2008, 18:28

A web link as proof eh? My Physics professor, on the first day of class said, "There's no such thing as centrifugal force", and went on to explain centripetal force and things moving in a straight line until outside forces act on them, and objects being forced to move in a circle actually want their outside edge to peel off at a tangent to the arc of rotation.

So I'll say it again: There's no such thing as centrifugal force.

Hitcher
17th February 2008, 19:07
It was me who PDed it. I clearly failed to see the obvious seriousness and scientific rigor it contained. Upon rereading it I still do. Ditto for this thread as well.

Steam
17th February 2008, 19:15
The title was tongue in cheek and the first post was just to get interest but I spent alot of time making drawings and making sure I had my facts correct.

Start yourself a new thread in General Bike Ravings titled "Science, Maths, and Motorcycles", and make clear in the first post that it is a serious thread, not a joke.
The tongue-in-cheek first post of the PD'd thread made you look like you were taking the piss, hence all the foolish and amusing answers.

I was amazed and interested to learn how slowly a piston goes, so it would be a useful thread I reckon. I'd read it.

Hitcher
17th February 2008, 19:18
I was amazed and interested to learn how slowly a piston goes, so it would be a useful thread I reckon. I'd read it.

Because I nerdle along on my bike, the top half of the piston sleeves are badly corroded through lack of use. I should rev it out more, I guess.

yod
18th February 2008, 09:03
is it unreasonable for a notification to be sent to the instigator of a thread that gets PD'd ?

Mikkel
18th February 2008, 09:38
A web link as proof eh? My Physics professor, on the first day of class said, "There's no such thing as centrifugal force", and went on to explain centripetal force and things moving in a straight line until outside forces act on them, and objects being forced to move in a circle actually want their outside edge to peel off at a tangent to the arc of rotation.

So I'll say it again: There's no such thing as centrifugal force.

That depends upon your frame of reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_of_reference) (FoR).

If you're in a stationary FoR looking at a mass moving in a steady circular motion there will be only one resultant force on that mass - the centripetal force given by:

F = m*v^2/r (m is the mass, v the tangential velocity and r the radius of the motion)

If you instead move your point of observance to the centre of the motion and fix one axis to the vector going from the centre to the mass, you will find yourself in a rotating FoR. In this case there is indeed a centrifugal force.

So you're both partly right and partly wrong - it all depends on the FoR. It's all about perspective.

Hitcher
18th February 2008, 09:46
is it unreasonable for a notification to be sent to the instigator of a thread that gets PD'd ?

Yes. The reasons, apart from the colour scheme change, are generally self-evident. I can count on one hand's fingers (noting that coming from Eltham, I have an unfair advantage on that score) the number of times where a decision to PD has, on appeal, been reversed.

Generally attempts at rationalising a decision to PD end up in a stream of invective being aimed at Moderators for "censorship" or some other errant nonsense. It is therefore best that Moderators make no attempt at explanation whatsoever.

Ixion
18th February 2008, 10:00
Yes. The reasons, apart from the colour scheme change, are generally self-evident. I can count on one hand's fingers (noting that coming from Eltham, I have an unfair advantage on that score) the number of times where a decision to PD has, on appeal, been reversed.

Generally attempts at rationalising a decision to PD end up in a stream of invective being aimed at Moderators for "censorship" or some other errant nonsense. It is therefore best that Moderators make no attempt at explanation whatsoever.

Which is because very often that is precisely what it is.

The present thread debating the legalisation (or otherwise) of "Crystal Meth" is a good example. I cannot on any grounds consider the subject to be drivel: nor the debate to be pointless. So what other reason can there be other than censorship? A moderator disapproved of the suggestion - rather than posting cogent and reasoned argument in support of his position he chose to bin the thread. That is pretty much as definiton of censorship by my reckoning.

Steam
18th February 2008, 10:05
The present thread debating the legalisation (or otherwise) of "Crystal Meth" is a good example. I cannot on any grounds consider the subject to be drivel: nor the debate to be pointless.

Even considering the thread is a blatant troll by a well-known trollster?

It seems like an A++ candidate for a PD thread to me.

yod
18th February 2008, 10:09

it's unreasonable to simply notify one person that their thread has been moved?!?!?

are you serious??

common courtesy doesnt count for anything?

edit: I never mentioned the word 'justify', it's pretty obvious that's a bridge too far...

Ixion
18th February 2008, 10:43

It may have started as a troll, but it has developed into a well reasoned debate.

Hitcher
18th February 2008, 15:09
it's unreasonable to simply notify one person that their thread has been moved?!?!?

are you serious?

Completely serious. There are better ways of spending one's day than becoming embroiled in endless and ultimately pointless *discussion* with some tender soul as to why their contribution drivelled pointlessly. As this discussion is revealing. Trust me on this.

yod
18th February 2008, 15:14
Completely serious. There are better ways of spending one's day than becoming embroiled in endless and ultimately pointless *discussion* with some tender soul as to why their contribution drivelled pointlessly. As this discussion is revealing. Trust me on this.

where was I suggesting you "become embroiled"

all Im suggesting is that the user is notified, this could be automated. I can do it for you if you like, just send me the host and ftp info

Str8 Jacket
18th February 2008, 15:15

How do you know? Who do you think it really is?....

Hitcher
18th February 2008, 15:18
all Im suggesting is that the user is notified, this could be automated. I can do it for you if you like, just send me the host and ftp info

Send a PM to Mental Trousers. This is heady Admin territory.

Steam
18th February 2008, 16:31
How do you know? Who do you think it really is?....

No it's nobody secret, not al alter-ego, I just meant they just do it often.

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 16:37
It was me who PDed it. I clearly failed to see the obvious seriousness and scientific rigor it contained. Upon rereading it I still do. Ditto for this thread as well. yet this thread is still here ... :wacko:

Hitcher
18th February 2008, 17:24
yet this thread is still here ...

Tied to a chair, and the bomb is ticking...

Donor
18th February 2008, 20:01

So other than using a motorcycle wheel reference at the start to infer the topic was in fact motorcycle related, what the hell is the point of the thread other than some mass-debating gratification in a public forum?

yet this thread is still here ... :wacko:

S'cos it's not in a section of the site set aside for motorcycle discussion...

Donor
18th February 2008, 20:04
Now some moderator who probably doesn't understand whats its about has deemed it pointless drivel. Well whoever the moderator was make yourself known to me please and your reason for your action.

If you have a question/problem please pm Cajun or Mental Trousers...

Looks like I have my answer...

For a smart sounding guy...

Ah well, benefit of the doubt - maybe you caught Stupidness from some of us lesser beings or sum fink...