PDA

View Full Version : Paeroa, why was I worried???

Drew
18th February 2008, 15:17
Well, got there around one on Friday, so got a mint pit spot on top of the stop bank looking down at the dummy grid. Throw the tent things up and we're ready to rock and roll, pity the band playing that night weren't, my God they sucked!!!

Anyway, got no sleep Friday night thanks to some locals in a Skyline, a couple alarms going off, and loads of noise from other sources.

Time for the sighting laps, looks simple enough, just like puke but little. Practice, simple it is not, braking points are hard to work out, particularly coming at the hairpin. Was cool tho cos I got four practices cos I cross entered and my times came down through them all. Only issue I had in these sessions was Nick Prestige goin into turn one with me making a move round the outside, when he decides he wants a break, sits the bike up and his arm straight out the side...at my head hieght...without anywhere to go I cop it in the face, and I'm sure his sore elbow has him putting his arm UP next time he wants to signal that he's slowing down.:laugh:

F2 R1, the lovely 007XX holding the brollie over my head on the dummy grid and it feels just like any other race event, (except I have a brollie girl). The lotto style qualifying had me on the second row in F2 so I was pretty stoked, managed to leave the line not too bad and it's all on, cant remember fuck all else except I finished 6th. HA... $100 for my trouble!

Bears R1, lotto qualify has me on the back row here:scratch:, so I am feeling the strain at what's ahead, started OK and got down to bizzo, squat all exciting happened, I passed some people and came in 6th in this race as well.

F2 R2, what a fuck up, I was feeling totally wrecked by this point and couldn't concentrate at all, nearly biffed it twice by not braking when I should have and comin at turn 1 and the hairpin with my bum pullin leather off the seat:doh:, finished 8th

Bears R2, had a wee kip before this one and some food, so I was feelin closer to my game, and starting off the first row I was pretty confident. Ok start and I was goin better than I had all day, got by some traffic early on and set about catching Peter Tanner, turned out real easy when I came out of the hairpin to see him sitting on the hay bales at the side of the track. Set about gettin by another RSV1000 and some other bike. Got the job done to put in SECOND PLACE BABY, but as it turns out there was a yellow flag further back coming at the hairpin I hadn't seen and got relegated back to fourth. I fully accept I'm an idiot for doing this, but I would say some other riders can attest that the flags are not all that easy to see in places. AAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHH, DAMN MY FEEBLE BRAIN!!!

Anyway, fuckin awesome day, did a couple burnouts and wheelies after the last race for the crowd:Police:

A huge thanks to my gorgeous lady for her support and help. Kerry from KTL and Rob and Cherry Taylor for the bike and ongoing support, Anglo American Motorcycle club, Silverdale Landscape Services, BikeTranz, Kerry Dukey from Ohlins, and Henderson Motorcycles. Also to Jimmy and Sue for the wicked support, Patch for endless quantities of humor, Ed and Affman for the same. Huge thanks to Dan for once again ensuring we had caffine and nicotine to sustain us. Thanks also again to 007XX for the shade.

GIXser
18th February 2008, 15:42
I was truly amazed at your performance dude, not too mention Vicky's !!
you chaps put on a magnificant show for us,

cheers

jrandom
18th February 2008, 15:49
I spent most of the morning with my arse parked just outside the wire under a tree at the entrance to the esses. I recall noting that you were looking quite relaxed and comfortable through there in what I counted as fifth place (I don't pay that much attention; I mostly just turn up to listen to the pretty noises and ogle the brolly girls).

Nicely done sir!

:niceone:

Sanx
18th February 2008, 16:04
It was a great day watching you and your lovely lady yesterday. Your second BEARS race was great - every lap, you were an extra place or two up. I'd love to know where you passed under yellow; and I'm wondering if there was a mix-up somewhere along the lines due to both you and Vicky having virtually identical bikes and similar leathers. Obviously, I could only see the bit of the track I was parked on - Vicky passed someone on a yellow coming into the hairpin. I wonder if they didn't get her number, and then seeing an identical bike with a very similar looking rider on the next lap, wrote down your number instead of hers.

Maybe it's worth a query, anyway.

Either way, you both rode extremely well and it was good fun hanging out with you guys the night before. Something I'll definitely miss overseas.

Drew
18th February 2008, 16:10
Obviously, I could only see the bit of the track I was parked on - Vicky passed someone on a yellow coming into the hairpin. I wonder if they didn't get her number, and then seeing an identical bike with a very similar looking rider on the next lap, wrote down your number instead of hers.

Maybe it's worth a query, anyway.

Not bothered about it bro, it still feels like second place to me, I worked hard for it and was honestly oblivious to any flags other than a yellow one in the middle of the hairpin, and a red and yellow one on the start line warning of crap on the track.

Thanks loads to all the guys and girls for kind words and encouragment.

Cherryrob
18th February 2008, 16:17
Well Drew,What can i say about Paeroa.BLOODY AWESOME.:2thumbsup Its just as nerve racking for your sponsors as it is for you. But we had nothing to worry about as you got on the pace and rode the pants off that 749R.Damn that bike sounds nice.We might even put the new fairings on now that you seem to be able to stay up right.Well done Bro,you make us proud . On behalf of the Anglo American Motorcycle club i thank you for the entertainment.Money well spent..L O L. Now how about some more horse power .Hmmmmm.:cool: But it will have to be Black.

Drew
18th February 2008, 16:23
Now how about some more horse power .Hmmmmm.:cool: But it will have to be Black.

Paints cheep, go whip the lights out of it and tape up the holes bro!

Drew
18th February 2008, 16:30
Sanx pointed this out to me in the NZ Herald online gallery.

Cherryrob
18th February 2008, 16:30
Paints cheep, go whip the lights out of it and tape up the holes bro!

Not allowed the Red one.Its tooooo nice for you to wreck.Got to wait for the next shipment that arrives next week.There are 2 to choose from,It would be good if one is already hot rodded.Are you sure you dont want the 999R so you can show "White Trash" your heals,,,,LOL....:yes:Na better not upset him too much .... What bloody photo in the Herald !!!!!! :mellow:

Burrt Badger
18th February 2008, 16:32
Drew. Good effort, but do some work on food intake during the day to keep the energy levels up. If you eat poorly, you race poorly cause the energy levels arent maintained.

Riff Raff
18th February 2008, 16:33
Very proud of you Drew. Was great watching you in action out there. :2thumbsup

deanohit
18th February 2008, 16:43
Man, you did awesome out there, you and WT were pulling some mint wheelies, awesome entertainment!
Must say the dukes sounded awefully nice. :yes:

robertydog
18th February 2008, 16:52
Yea well done. You guys rocked. I was pretty impresed.

quallman1234
18th February 2008, 16:54
Good job man!, You and Vicki Did awesome!

aff-man
18th February 2008, 17:17
was good to see the ummm pre race day shinnanigans hadn't scared ya enough to hinder your riding.... although i'm sure you still have dreams of large angry men....

And for someone whose never been there ya put in a sterling effort was great to see ya throughout the day doing the bizzo..

Catch ya soon

Trudes
18th February 2008, 18:33
Nice one Drewskies, can imagine you doing all of that with your trademark grin on all the while!!:done:

Toast
18th February 2008, 18:49
Congrats, Drew, you did awesome! :niceone:

et al
18th February 2008, 19:03
Top effort - well done Drew. Absolutely awesome results, especially so considering you were a first timer at Paeroa.

Sully60
18th February 2008, 19:32
Fuck! You obviously brought the goods man!:niceone:

Checked out your times, you sure you haven't done any secret practice runs?<_<
Or did you find a shortcut? :bleh:

Edit: And you look like you're really "owning" that wheelie!:headbang:

Blue Velvet
18th February 2008, 19:47
Nice wheelie! :2thumbsup

Wish I'd been able to see the racing first hand, there was no tv coverage that I found, which was disappointing.

koba
18th February 2008, 19:59
Another Congrats.

One day I will get up there to see paeroa...
One day!

flame
18th February 2008, 20:00
So SOOOOOooooo proud of you babe:2thumbsup:love::sunny:

Drew
18th February 2008, 20:28
Edit: And you look like you're really "owning" that wheelie!:headbang:

About that bit of advice you gave me, I'm thinkin you were on a less grunty bike than me. Cos comin out of the shicane, I had no choice but to be on the left side of the track at that point on the straight!, I was fuming every time the wheel came up too high and I had to back off, slowed me down dammit.

That particular wheelie looks like it's about to own me I thought.:blink:

DingoZ
18th February 2008, 22:09
Congrats to both of you. Gotta be stoked with the results...:)

Glad to hear those nerves dissapeared once it came down to it...:)

Massive effort once again......:rockon:

limbimtimwim
18th February 2008, 23:12
I have photographic evidence that Drew, did in fact, bail!

Why keep this a secret from us? :nono:

Geddit.. Bail?

No?

Ahh.. Forgeddit.

limbimtimwim
18th February 2008, 23:22
And another. Just for the hell of it.

Kendog
19th February 2008, 05:54
Sanx pointed this out to me in the NZ Herald online gallery.

Great photo and excellent write up. Sounds like you had a blast out there :rockon:

slowpoke
19th February 2008, 06:50
Good onya fella! Wish I'd been there to hear the mighty Duc.

Drew
19th February 2008, 08:54
I have photographic evidence that Drew, did in fact, bail!

Why keep this a secret from us? :nono:

Geddit.. Bail?

No?

Ahh.. Forgeddit.

And another. Just for the hell of it.

Almost looks like I'm stopped having a rest on the hay in the first one. Might need some more oil in my forks too if that's how compressed they're getting on slow turns.

Massive thanks and congrats to Deano too, he doesn't seem keen to bite at my omition of his efforts. Spoil sport:bleh:

et al
21st February 2008, 22:38
Hey guys - If you want to see some on bike vid (from #161 in F2) - go to this post (Drew makes an appearance):
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1439360&postcount=81

skidMark
21st February 2008, 22:43
I was truly amazed at your performance dude, not too mention Vicky's !!
you chaps put on a magnificant show for us,

cheers

still waiting to be handed trashys gixxer to try beat his laptime?

i don't think he will hand it over willingly though lol

Clivoris
22nd February 2008, 20:31
Now how about some more horse power .Hmmmmm.:cool: But it will have to be Black.

Definitely give this man some more ponies, but make them pink I reckon. He'll ride even harder asserting his masculinity. Drew, I hate you Mair pricks...getting on any bike and twisting it to your own purposes. Bastidges. Some of us have to work at overcoming various handicaps. Top result mate and very entertaining.

paturoa
22nd February 2008, 21:01
and some more pretty pickies

Edit: if you want the original high res pics PM me.

Drew
23rd February 2008, 07:29
Cheers for teh footage Troy, and the pics P:cool: Not my best effort in that race, but fun anyhoo.