PDA

View Full Version : Stupid is as stupid does...

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 15:43
narrow country road
tightish corner but good visibility ..... = no excuses

guy in front of me hit a patch of loose gravel, lost his rear end and went sailing off the side of the embankment

........ i remember thinking "that's nasty - must avoid that gravel" whilst watching in horrid fascination as he landed in an explosion of loose earth, gravel and scrub .. .....only to feel [I]my own back end go and to follow him gracefully into the same ditch a moment later

how clever was that ...:( now my beautiful bike's bent and i'm too embarrassed to look her in the headlights ..........

:nono: remember Kiddies - it's true that your bike is likely to go where your eyes are focused ---
pity i didn't remember that before i hit the gravel :o

Mikkel
18th February 2008, 15:49
Lucky thing is you're ok! :yes:
Could have been much worse...

I've hit a couple of nasty patches of gravel before while on a lean. So far I've been able to keep her upright, in my lane and ride out of it by doing fuck-all and just let the bike handle it.
Went through a nasty stretch of gravel (part of roadworks) between Rakaia Gorge and Methven yesterday - very very loose feeling. Handled it with the "do fuck-all" approach and just rode through.

How fast where you going? And how tight was the corner?

dino3310
18th February 2008, 16:00
narrow country road

guy in front of me hit a patch of loose gravel, lost his rear end and went sailing off the side of the embankment

........ i remember thinking "that's nasty - must avoid that gravel" whilst watching in horrid fascination as he landed in an explosion of loose earth, gravel and scrub .. .....only to feel [I]my own back end go and to follow him gracefully into the same ditch a moment later

how clever was that ...:( now my beautiful bike's bent and i'm too embarrassed to look her in the headlights ..........

:nono: remember Kiddies - it's true that your bike is likely to go where your eyes are focused ---
pity i didn't remember that before i hit the gravel :o

:shit:bugga

yungatart
18th February 2008, 16:23
That target fixation thing is a right nasty little beastie, eH/
Will get ya every time!
Hope you are okay and the guy who you followed off the road....

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 16:31
yeh more or less ------- but funny thing was, a coupla seconds after i followed the guy in front of me and left the road, the guy BEHIND me did the exact same thing, following ME ...... :doh:

and, on the far side of the road was sprawled yet ANOTHER guy from some other club's ride that had binned on the same corner coming in the opposite direction........

in retrospect it was hilarious ...... :confused:

skidMark
18th February 2008, 16:34
There is nothing funny let alone hilarious about crashing.

James Deuce
18th February 2008, 16:38
Someone ask the aliens for our skidmark back.

Geez mate, poor Tasha!

You sure you're not dented?

I'll PM when I get home.

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 16:41

please lighten up - it's gallows humour
of the entire show i came off worse and if i can acknowledge the lighter side of it you should be able to take my word for it
.......... you had to be there ;)

pete376403
18th February 2008, 16:45
Lemmings MC out on a run.:shit:

McDuck
18th February 2008, 16:47

lololololololol

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 16:49
Lemmings MC out on a run.:shit:yep! got it in one!

now - let this serve as a cautionary tale to the rest of you :msn-wink:

Mikkel
18th February 2008, 16:55
Someone ask the aliens for our skidmark back.

Yeah, it seems someone has brought us a parrot that has read all of the survival skills forum. ;)

discotex
18th February 2008, 17:10
So far I've been able to keep her upright, in my lane and ride out of it by doing fuck-all and just let the bike handle it.

That's by far the best option in sooooooo many situations. If the bike can't save itself then adding control inputs really isn't going to do much.

Ouch mstriumph! Sounds like a right bin-fest on that corner. Bloody gravel :bash:

homer
18th February 2008, 17:58
No its not funny at all .

But you know , MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO

SPman
18th February 2008, 18:01
Bloody gravel 'Twas only a little bit........but effective!

Having been on many a KB run, :whistle:, I saw through the trees, around the corner, that something was up, ahead, and had slowed by the time I reached the corner, in time to see the young guy on the FJ ahead of me vanish off the road, in a spray of sand and dust!! :shit:

A classic case of target fixation and braking hard in a corner when he didn't have to!

They were all lucky they hit the mound of sand, not the clumps of trees surrounding.........I thinks this corner has claimed more than it's fair share in the past......

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 18:12
at least i didn't brake :mellow: ............. and you gotta admit, the manoevre MAY have only been a one-pointer on the 'scale of technical difficulty' but i'm SURE i deserved at least a '9.7' for the grace and artistry with which i carried it out :sunny:

PrincessBandit
18th February 2008, 19:02
Certainly a novel way of meeting each other! Wouldn't want to make a habit of it though eh? Could become an expensive expression of "attraction?"
Glad you're ok though and i'm sure your bike will forgive you.

Boob Johnson
18th February 2008, 19:12
please lighten up - it's gallows humour
of the entire show i came off worse and if i can acknowledge the lighter side of it you should be able to take my word for it
.......... you had to be there ;)
Skid Mark obviously hasn't seen "Life of Brian" :laugh:

ps: great news it was just the bikes that got bent aye

BiK3RChiK
18th February 2008, 20:36
yeh more or less ------- but funny thing was, a coupla seconds after i followed the guy in front of me and left the road, the guy BEHIND me did the exact same thing, following ME ...... :doh:

and, on the far side of the road was sprawled yet ANOTHER guy from some other club's ride that had binned on the same corner coming in the opposite direction........

in retrospect it was hilarious ...... :confused:

I'm not really laughing! My true thoughts are Oh, crap! but this was funny!!:laugh:

Hope you are all okay...

M

Mikkel
18th February 2008, 22:23
Skid Mark obviously hasn't seen "Life of Brian" :laugh:

There weren't exactly any gallows in that movies... only crosses. :rolleyes: ;)

Boob Johnson
18th February 2008, 22:32
There weren't exactly any gallows in that movies... only crosses. :rolleyes: ;)
Mate are you for fucking real??? Gallows/crosses??? WTF is the difference lol, honestly!!! You trying to get ya post count up or what???

I've seen the movie more times than I care to remember, gallows = a place to die..........a cross = the same..............fuck off and split hairs elsewhere you clown lol :bleh: :rolleyes:

Mike748
18th February 2008, 22:33
narrow country road

Having put my bike on it's side this weekend I know exactly how you feel.

Glad you are ok.

Mikkel
18th February 2008, 22:43
Mate are you for fucking real??? Gallows/crosses??? WTF is the difference lol, honestly!!! You trying to get ya post count up or what???

I've seen the movie more times than I care to remember, gallows = a place to die..........a cross = the same..............fuck off and split hairs elsewhere you clown lol :bleh: :rolleyes:

Are you?

Seriously you don't get that little attempt at sarcasm? For a person who claims to appreciate Monty Python - poser!

Patch
18th February 2008, 22:53
Are you?

Seriously . . . . - poser!
pot an a kettle etc, you need to tell that dick with the manicured nails in your profile pic to look in the farkin mirror - CS 'lil WB

Boob Johnson
18th February 2008, 23:07
Are you?

Seriously you don't get that little attempt at sarcasm? For a person who claims to appreciate Monty Python - poser!
News flash kiddo...............this is a TEXT based forum, sarcasm is a subtle art usually executed with voice intonation & or facial expressions, you would think with 700+ posts you would of worked that one out yourself already :rolleyes:

jrandom
18th February 2008, 23:07
I couldn't bring myself to trade my motorcycle in on something more suited to my advanced years, so I hopped off halfway round a convenient corner and kicked the bike into a ditch. I'm now posting a short but poignant chunk of carefully-constructed fiction while surfing www.harley-davidson.com for a suitable insurance replacement.

Gosh, those Electra Glides look comfortable.

:pinch:

Don't walk toward the light, Ethel, it ain't your time to pass on!

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 23:23
mr random, sir - i'll have to take your expert first-hand opinion on what sort of ride is/is not suited to the - erm - more senior biker.......

ps, you aren't one of my mother's alters, are you? ..... if so i take it ALL back :sweatdrop

jrandom
18th February 2008, 23:28
you aren't one of my mother's altars, are you?

Depends what she wants to sacrifice on me, I guess.

:innocent:

mstriumph
18th February 2008, 23:37
Depends what she wants to sacrifice on me, I guess.

:innocent:

you've obviously MET my mother ......................:blink:.... Daddy??

jrandom
18th February 2008, 23:43
Daddy?

Oh my. Could you say that again, a little more slowly this time, perhaps?

Mikkel
19th February 2008, 16:38
pot an a kettle etc, you need to tell that dick with the manicured nails in your profile pic to look in the farkin mirror - CS 'lil WB

Ouch, that hurt! :cry:

I wasn't aware that my apperance was so important to you. I guess I should take that as a compliment then Patch. Good luck with searching though - I'm sorry, but I am straight.

News flash kiddo...............this is a TEXT based forum, sarcasm is a subtle art usually executed with voice intonation & or facial expressions, you would think with 700+ posts you would of worked that one out yourself already :rolleyes:

Point well taken, I guess I could have chucked a few smileys in there. :wink:
Besides, it's PhP based which means that all the bloody smileys are gay and animated. (true I could disable that - but that requires ticking a box and I can't be arsed.)

titirangi
19th February 2008, 21:06
glad your ok and a car wasnt coming other way when you lost it. did the gravel get cleared away? was it as a result of unsigned roadworks or just natural build up? sure do hope our insurance companies take an interest in this sot of thing. patch of gravel on a corner just cost them (and eventually us) a crapload.

Livvy
19th February 2008, 22:01
You should sit out there one day on a good day for riding and just take snapshots of the people who bail and sell the photos back to the riders later, sort of how they take the photo of you when you're at the top of the rollercoaster and about to go down the biggest hill.

Good to hear you're alright though, and despite my comment, hope that corner looses it's current stigma of being a trap. :)