PDA

View Full Version : ZX9-R 1997 B4

swanman
22nd November 2004, 20:18
This is the bike I exchanged for my new r1. It was a 97 model registered in 98. When I got it and when I sold it it was in mint condition. It came with 15000km on the clock.

I like Kawasakis, my bike previous to this was a GPZ1100 which was my dream bike when I was a kid. It was time to get modern so I saw the ZX in the motorcycle trader. It was local and as soon as I saw it I decided it was for me. It was totally standard, except for braided lines and a scottoiler. Colours green, white and purple. I had test ridden a few before and this one was mint and a fair price. I bought it on the spot.

The bike had a big feel about it at the same time as feeling sporty. Not the lightest bike around but therefore it felt solid on the road. I owned this bike for a year commuted on it a bit, did weekend rides and rode it from Auckland to Dunedin and back last Christmas, unfortunately I never got it on the track.

This was the last version of the B series, the C series are quite different, lighter more track oriented. This means that this version was more like a very sorted, sporty road racer. The first B's apparently had a bad rear end and some strange handling characteristics at high speed. The B4 had none of this. Whatever problems they had they fixed them, also they put an extra couple of pots on the front brakes for good measure, and finally this was the most powerful motor with 139 hp at the crank. My bike had a measured 126hp at the rear wheel done on the Red BAron dyno.Not bad!

So what was it like to ride?....

Engine: The engine is caburetted but develops power in a very linear manner, There is a rush towards the top I think max at 10-11000 rpm. This is a very fast bike indeed. A bit of choke in the morning, it always started first time and warmed up after a few minutes. Altogether a good motor. Good for 270 kmh+

Gearbox: Truly bad. Getting into first was like hitting a metal bucket with a large spoon. People in cars nearby at the traffic lights would look at you. False neutrals, notchiness, yeuch.. the only time it seemed ok was accelerating and not using the clutch.

Ergonomics: Surprisingly good. It is a definite sports ride but I managed to ride to Dunedin and back with out any great problems. Wind protection was ok by sports standards. There is even some useful space under the pillion seat.

Handling: As a rule very good. The rear end seemed very planted, however the front end I thought had a tendency to be vague. The handlebars shook now and then when you took your hands off. I tried different tyres, pressures, did all the proper checks and it never completely went away. If you stroke the brake lever into a corner the bike just sits up and wants to go straight, so I got used to shaving speed of late into a corner with gentle use of the rear brake. That being said this bike eats straights, sweepers and moderate bends with absolute stability. When the tires are warm you can begin to throw this bike around tight corners, just remember it isn't a zxr400. Basically a good handling bike.

Brakes: Powerful but seriously wooden. Maybe it was just mine.

Overall I think this is a very competent motorcycle and you can pick them up pretty cheap. It has presence on the road, good looks, is fast and stable, and in the right hands is a very fast bike. Ironically after the year on this bike I found it too slow (crazy I know) and exchanged it for a new R1. :cool: