PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a lesson: Familiarise self with bike!

BiK3RChiK
19th February 2008, 05:26
Went out for a ride with hubby last evening just before 7. Into town about 20mins ride and stop at our destination for about 40mins. So the sun is setting and we head off.. All going sweet with hubby up front. As it gets twilight I'm thinking... 'Gee, either my parklight only is on or my lights are pissy! Nah, I drive with the headlight on, so it must be my lights are pissy...' Get home just towards getting dark and hubby says 'Are your lights not on?' I said I was wondering the same thing and he says 'Don't you know where the switch is?'.... "Ummmm... There's a switch?' :doh:

Glad I got home ok... Note to self... 'Must familiarise myself with my bike!'

M

martybabe
19th February 2008, 05:58
Went out for a ride with hubby last evening just before 7. Into town about 20mins ride and stop at our destination for about 40mins. So the sun is setting and we head off.. All going sweet with hubby up front. As it gets twilight I'm thinking... 'Gee, either my parklight only is on or my lights are pissy! Nah, I drive with the headlight on, so it must be my lights are pissy...' Get home just towards getting dark and hubby says 'Are your lights not on?' I said I was wondering the same thing and he says 'Don't you know where the switch is?'.... "Ummmm... There's a switch?' :doh:

Glad I got home ok... Note to self... 'Must familiarise myself with my bike!'

M

Good girl, welcome to my world, a world where little details just pass you by, light switches, keys, glasses. such petty things are for boring people we have bigger things to think about. :yes:

woodboats
19th February 2008, 06:53
LOL Yep, we can all forget some of the simple things.
Doesn't hurt to practice turning your reserve on and off when riding also.
Just in case it happens at a difficult spot.

Okey Dokey
19th February 2008, 07:06
Ha ha good one! Some bikes are wired to light up automatically, of course. I can remember being overseas and have people point out that my lights were on in the daytime...explained about increasing my visibility to other road users...could tell by their expressions that they thought this was a strange concept.

BiK3RChiK
19th February 2008, 07:17
Ha ha good one! Some bikes are wired to light up automatically, of course. I can remember being overseas and have people point out that my lights were on in the daytime...explained about increasing my visibility to other road users...could tell by their expressions that they thought this was a strange concept.

I've only ridden in the day time and my light is always on... Just didn't know it was on park until I rode last night! Yeah, even on trips in the car I drive with my headlights on. Heaps of people flash their lights up at me as if to say 'Your lights are on!' 'Umm.. yeah, I know.. I put them on to increase my visiblity to other drivers. Glad you saw me!' My lights on my bike come on automatically when I start the bike. I can't turn them 'off' as such.. It's just that there is a switch for 'on/park' and I had the switch on 'park'! On my hubby's bike (he has the Hyosung gt650) the switch isn't for his lights, it is for hazard lights, which my bike doesn't have.... so I found out last night! Go figure!!

M

Steam
19th February 2008, 08:56
Edgecumbe

I used to live in Edgecumbe too! When I was at primary scool. I lived at 55 College Road, my dad was the minster in the Church next door.

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 09:00
I used to live in Edgecumbe too! When I was at primary scool. I lived at 55 College Road, my dad was the minster in the Church next door.

OMG, you're *that* guy!

Steam
19th February 2008, 09:02
OMG, you're *that* guy!

Eh wot? You gotta be kidding me. You couldn't come from Edgecumbe too, that would be an impossible coincidence.

BiK3RChiK
19th February 2008, 09:28

It's still there! Both the church and the house too I think.. If it's the same house I think my kids went to the Montessori Unit (Part of EPS) there a few years back.. Then the Montessori Unit was closed and the school sold the house!

How cool is that? I've been in your old house!

M

90s
19th February 2008, 10:00
Good girl, welcome to my world, a world where little details just pass you by, light switches, keys, glasses. such petty things are for boring people we have bigger things to think about. :yes:

If the wife had looked at the temp gauge (which is invisible to most females) she would not have blown up the cage's engine just before Christmas.
And then life would have been very boring.

But also a lot cheaper :doh:.

Badjelly
19th February 2008, 10:03
If the wife had looked at the temp gauge (which is invisible to most females) she would not have blown up the cage's engine just before Christmas.

You think? Someone I won't name would have just assumed the gauge was faulty and driven on.

Nagash
19th February 2008, 11:45
I've seen a fair few of those Hyo's riding at night with this really piss poor light, they have two if memory serves and they just ride with this one really small light like the batterys dying or something..

Maybe they all just don't notice they can change it? Design fault if you ask me..

idb
19th February 2008, 12:56
Prior to buying the BSA a number of years ago I took it for test drive.
Having never ridden an older Brit bike before I made an emergency clutchless downshift at the first intersection I came to...

BiK3RChiK
19th February 2008, 13:06
And then life would have been very boring.

But also a lot cheaper :doh:.

Well, I'm not that bad!:calm: I've been driving commercially for 18 years or so and I know which end of the spanner to hold! Actually, I've pulled a few engines and gearboxes out and back in in my time too... But I better not give the fellas on here any ideas now, had I?

BiK3RChiK
19th February 2008, 13:08
I've seen a fair few of those Hyo's riding at night with this really piss poor light, they have two if memory serves and they just ride with this one really small light like the batterys dying or something..

Maybe they all just don't notice they can change it? Design fault if you ask me..

Yeah, I reckon too.. Bit of a trap having the 650 with hazards and the 250 with a park/headlights on switch too! I know now though!!

kanny
21st February 2008, 08:42
:lol:OH GEEEES.I only laugh because on one of my rides.Turned the bike on wondered why my indicator lights wouldnt go off.Tri boy to the rescue.Was my hassard lights.Dumb dumb dumb.Put it down to early morning no coffee:innocent:

Mikkel
21st February 2008, 08:51

Welcome to dementia! ...or not...

Dementia is not forgetting your keys.
Dementia is forgetting what the keys are for.
:yes:

OMG, you're *that* guy!

Billy-Ray was a preacher's son
And when his daddy would visit he'd come along
When they'd gather 'round and started talkin'
Is when Billy would take me walkin'
A' through the backyard we'd go walkin'
And then he'd look into my eyes
And lord knows to my surprise

The only one who could ever reach me
Was the son of a preacher man
The only boy who could ever teach me
Yes he was, yes he was
Oh, yes he was

Being good isn't always easy
No matter how hard I'd try
When he started sweet-talkin' to me
He'd come and tell me everything is all right
He'd kiss and tell me everything is all right
And can we get away again tonight?

Yes he was, yes he was
Oh, yes he was

How well I remember
The look that was in his eyes
Stealin' kisses from me on the sly
Takin' time to make time
Tellin' me that he's all mine
Learnin' from each other's knowing
Lookin' to see how much we been growin'

And the only one who could ever reach me
Yes he was, yes he was
Oh

;)

MsKABC
21st February 2008, 14:11
Doesn't hurt to practice turning your reserve on and off when riding also.
Just in case it happens at a difficult spot.

I could never remember which was the reserve position and at one stage I attempted to climb the Bombays on reserve....I failed! It was a long and humiliating walk to the Caltex at the top on a hot day in full leathers :Oops: Good way to learn a lesson though.