PDA

View Full Version : Str8 Jacket's Bucket Season, hopefully a starter?!

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 09:40
Alrighty!.... Most of you'se fullas know that I have been having issues with the A but it looks like she might be a goer sooner rather than later *touch wood*. Firstly, I must start by saying that I am mighty impressed with Tony B's service. Last Thurs I paid for a piston kit and it arrived on the Fri morn. I have gone with 0.5mm oversize, hoping that it'll do the trick! I took the barrel into Giles Engineering to be bored yesterday with the new piston and he has told me that I should have it back within a couple of day's. Im hoping that means by the end of the week! I wasnt too stoked with the guy as he was insistant that I had run the bike with no oil. He was unbelieveing that I just seem to destroy bikes.... All that aside I shall keep you up to date with my lil A's progress but its very likely that I will be ready to go for the first race of the season - look out you lil slut Pamela!

I just have one prob now..... Anyone know where I can either borrow or get a cheap back protector from? As I am planning on racing Street Stock this year I will eventually be buying myself one but the lil A has eaten all my $$ at the moment!

Colapop
19th February 2008, 10:05
Do you have to pass a sobriety test before racing??? :bleh:

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 10:06
Do you have to pass a sobriety test before racing??? :bleh:

I reckon that I can at least try not to drink until the racing is over! :p

quallman1234
19th February 2008, 10:10
Your more likely to be ready by march the 2nd than me!, but im still going to be there. :lol::girlfight:.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Other/auction-140473673.htm
Could be a goer?

Or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Leathers-jackets/auction-141059129.htm

65$ aint bad for a brand new one.

Good luck!. You going to ride it up to the buckets or do you wanna go on my trailer?

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 10:13
Your more likely to be ready by march the 2nd than me!, but im still going to be there. :lol::girlfight:.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Other/auction-140473673.htm
Could be a goer?

Or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Leathers-jackets/auction-141059129.htm

65$ aint bad for a brand new one.

Good luck!. You going to ride it up to the buckets or do you wanna go on my trailer?

Back protectors arent too expensive are they?! BUT, its gonna cost atleast $90 to get the barel bored, which is more than the whole piston kit! However I do need one. Its so annoying, at this rate i'll never be able to afford a street stock racer!! I guess there is always next year!

As for the ride, YES PLEASE!! I intend on stripping the A down as much as I can. I wanna keep her road registered as its the only transport I have at the moment so I will be *trying* to minimise damage etc....

quallman1234
19th February 2008, 10:34
Back protectors arent too expensive are they?! BUT, its gonna cost atleast $90 to get the barel bored, which is more than the whole piston kit! However I do need one. Its so annoying, at this rate i'll never be able to afford a street stock racer!! I guess there is always next year!

As for the ride, YES PLEASE!! I intend on stripping the A down as much as I can. I wanna keep her road registered as its the only transport I have at the moment so I will be *trying* to minimise damage etc....

You think thats bad!, It's costed me so far.

100$ - For the bucket in the first place
91$ - For the pistion kit.

I have doubled my original spending!

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 10:37
You think thats bad!, It's costed me so far.

100$ - For the bucket in the first place
91$ - For the pistion kit.

I have doubled my original spending!

I have spent the same on the A as what I paid for it. Im definately not complaining as its definately worth it and the bike owes me nothing. That's just what you get when you buy a 2 smoker. Gotta look on the bright side. If it was a 4 stroke then it'd probably be terminal!

Coyote
19th February 2008, 11:18
I just have one prob now..... Anyone know where I can either borrow or get a cheap back protector from? As I am planning on racing Street Stock this year I will eventually be buying myself one but the lil A has eaten all my $$ at the moment!
I can lend you mine if you need it.

I should be at the slipway with the minimoto next time :D When is the next meet anyway?

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 11:19
I can lend you mine if you need it.

I should be at the slipway with the minimoto next time :D When is the next meet anyway?

Cheers, will yours be a lil large for me? You're twice my height...
Dont quote me on the first race date, its on my calendar at home but I think March 2nd?

Coyote
19th February 2008, 11:22
Cheers, will yours be a lil large for me? You're twice my height...
Dont quote me on the first race date, its on my calendar at home but I think March 2nd?
It could be, goes the entire length of my back. It's a Spyke seven link one.

Sweet, but I'll double check the dates just in case :p

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 11:26
Sweet, but I'll double check the dates just in case :p

Clever man. Never trust a woman. Especially one that is not in the kitchen....

Coyote
19th February 2008, 11:41
Clever man. Never trust a woman. Especially one that is not in the kitchen....
I wouldn't trust one in the kitchen either, with all those knives...

merv
19th February 2008, 11:44
Hey good luck with getting the bike sorted but I think I said on the other thread too I hope you are checking out the oil pump as well as your one I presume runs with an oil tank and Posiforce lube or whatever they called it back then especially when this guy has said did you run it without oil? The Suzukis of that vintage had little ball valves in the oil lines if I remember rightly too and if they stuffed up it could starve the engine of its essential lube.

Str8 Jacket
19th February 2008, 11:48
Hey good luck with getting the bike sorted but I think I said on the other thread too I hope you are checking out the oil pump as well as your one I presume runs with an oil tank and Posiforce lube or whatever they called it back then especially when this guy has said did you run it without oil? The Suzukis of that vintage had little ball valves in the oil lines if I remember rightly too and if they stuffed up it could starve the engine of its essential lube.

Yes. Need to make sure it doesnt happen again!

Trudes
19th February 2008, 11:58
Nice one Hels, I am sure Pamela is shaking in her stilettos! Hope to see you and "The A" team on the 2nd.:headbang:

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 11:37
Well my barrels ready. Gonna cost $101+ :gob: but if it works then it''ll be worth it. Will hopefully be able to bribe Malcolm with food and alcohol and get it in tonight.....

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 11:44
Wanna hand/Watch malcolm do it :laugh:.

*Invites himself over* But not really i might be busy :(. So you going to go buy some numbers today?, I can get em for ya if you get home too late and you can just pay me back if you want.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 11:47
Wanna hand/Watch malcolm do it :laugh:.

*Invites himself over* But not really i might be busy :(. So you going to go buy some numbers today?, I can get em for ya if you get home too late and you can just pay me back if you want.

I just text ya.... your welcome to come over. I'll be home round 6. Malcolm's bringing some tools round. So yeah come over if ya like. If she runs then you can take her for a blat...

Numbers would be handy but I havent even chosen a number yet. I actually need to talk to ya about that.... :yes:

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 11:49
Numbers would be handy but I havent even chosen a number yet. I actually need to talk to ya about that.... :yes:

Really im wanted for something woohoo!

Nah sweet as see ya later then.

I actually need to ask malcolm something about the rings as well, not sure where the spring ring thingy goes kinda like an oil control ring.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 11:50
Really im wanted for something woohoo!

Nah sweet as see ya later then.

Sweet as. I'll pick up spme beer on the way home. Gonna pick up the barrel in an hour or so. Cant wait to see it!! :D

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 11:51
I actually need to ask malcolm something about the rings as well, not sure where the spring ring thingy goes kinda like an oil control ring.

Malcolm only has one ring.... :p

I plan on doing as much of it myself as I can tonight so come watch and learn. Hopefully I dont blow anything up!! hehe

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 11:55
*runs away*:Oi:

Trudes
20th February 2008, 12:31
Hey Hels, re your numbers, cheap way (like I just did), print out your number to specified size on computer, cut out, stick on your board and spray paint. Not as pretty as bought ones, but cheap as chips.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 12:32
Hey Hels, re your numbers, cheap way (like I just did), print out your number to specified size on computer, cut out, stick on your board and spray paint. Not as pretty as bought ones, but cheap as chips.

That's excrament, cheers! How did you choose your numbers?

Trudes
20th February 2008, 12:34
Ahhh, I is naughty and don't have numbers. Was told that as long as I was just stuffing about up at the slipway then numbers weren't a must, only if I take it through to Chch or somewhere, in which case I'll cover with a number.

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 12:43
I have some silver spray paint left over. It has a really really really nice finish. Top quality stuff. like 25$ or something a can.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 13:20
Ahhh, I is naughty and don't have numbers. Was told that as long as I was just stuffing about up at the slipway then numbers weren't a must, only if I take it through to Chch or somewhere, in which case I'll cover with a number.

:spanking:

I have some silver spray paint left over. It has a really really really nice finish. Top quality stuff. like 25$ or something a can.

hmm..... Well I have just picked up the barrel. It looks mint! Cant wait to get in on now!

Sully60
20th February 2008, 13:39
That's excrament, cheers! How did you choose your numbers?

Have a look here:
http://www.scs.net.nz/resultsB2007.htm#R6

Find one that's not already being used and away you go!
If you need to change just use a str8 piece of tape and add a 1.

If you get stuck I could make you a set from black duraseal, it looks rool professional like and can be clearcoated over.

:Oi:Don't even think of using 60!

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 13:42
Have a look here:
http://www.scs.net.nz/resultsB2007.htm#R6

Find one that's not already being used and away you go!
If you need to change just use a str8 piece of tape and add a 1.

If you get stuck I could make you a set from black duraseal, it looks rool professional like and can be clearcoated over.

:Oi:Don't even think of using 60!

Looks like 60 it is then..... Once ive given the old A head tonight I think I shall start making my 60 numbers. Cheers Craig! :niceone:

Sully60
20th February 2008, 13:44
Looks like 60 it is then..... Once ive given the old A a head tonight I think I shall start making my 60 numbers. Cheers Craig! :niceone:

If that's the case then like me you'll probably have to get used to seeing 09 from time to time.

I know where'e there'e some real trick looking chrome numbers if you want?

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 13:45
If that's the case then like me you'll probably have to get used to seeing 09 from time to time.

I know where'e there'e some real trick looking chrome numbers if you want?

heheh, That's freaky man.... I had actually decided to use the the number 9.
:D

Oh chrome numbers eh. That'd be sweet. How much?

Sully60
20th February 2008, 13:48
heheh, That's freaky man.... I had actually decided to use the the number 9.
:D

Oh chrome numbers eh. That'd be sweet. How much?

They're the ones on my bike, I' was actually hoping that you'd come around and fight me for them :girlfight:

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 13:49
They're the ones on my bike, I' was actually hoping that you'd come around and fight me for them :girlfight:

Giggidy giggidy!! :eek:

TonyB
20th February 2008, 13:54
Firstly, I must start by saying that I am mighty impressed with Tony B's service. Last Thurs I paid for a piston kit and it arrived on the Fri morn. Aww shucks! Thanks Hels

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 14:05
Aww shucks! Thanks Hels

Nah mate, thanks for making it so easy! :D

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 14:08
Ill bring the spray paint round anyway :).

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 14:09
Ill bring the spray paint round anyway :).

Sweet mate. Gotta suss out how they're gonna work too!

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 14:17
Sweet mate. Gotta suss out how they're gonna work too!

I'll bring some cardboard and double sided sticky tape as well. - Im too helpful :cool:. Got scissors?

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 14:21
Got scissors?

Sure do! :yes:

Skunk
20th February 2008, 16:01
Richards and Boyles both stock precut white or black numbers. Three per packet for about $3 or 5. Stick on and you're done.

quallman1234
20th February 2008, 16:04
Richards and Boyles both stock precut white or black numbers. Three per packet for about $3 or 5. Stick on and you're done.

+1

10 Chars.

Str8 Jacket
21st February 2008, 07:32

Cheers for the advice! :niceone:

Well last night was fun..... After realising that the base gasket was misising I threw a bit of a tantrum and then went on a mad texting/PMing frenzy trying to find some gasket paper. Big thanks to Sully for helping out there. Also thanks for the numbers mate, they're choice!
Bike still not ready yet as when Malcolm put the rings on there is no clearence gap when squeezed. I dont have an owners manual but if someone knows what the clearence should be it'd be very nice to know *hint hint*.
Should have the bike going tonight. Thanks heaps to Kyle and Malcolm for putting up with me and all my frustratedness (my word Hitch)!

EDIT: Apparently the ring gap clearences havent been checked properly so will do that tonight before doing anything else!

Str8 Jacket
21st February 2008, 20:14
UPDATE: Piston on and bike still running like poo. How annoying. Back to the drawing board again..... Anyone got any ideas?

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 20:18
Did you end up filing the rings down at all?

Str8 Jacket
21st February 2008, 20:21
Did you end up filing the rings down at all?

No but one was broken of slightly. doh!

Str8 Jacket
21st February 2008, 20:30
Malcolm here. Broke one of the very end bits off :doh:
May be why it hasn't got any better.
I have left the spreader ring thing out too coz couldn't get the barrel on with it in. after stuglling lots (when I broke the ring) I worked out that the barrel now had lots of sharp edges on it after being bored. After a bit of sand the bugger slid straight on!
Will try it with the spreader in when I next get a chance.
New rings? :doh: :doh: :doh:
Havn't checked to make sure no gearbox oil is leaking into the bottom end and taking up crankcase volume yet.
Also could be leaking though the head gasket.
Too dark to continue for now.
Oh and the plug is suspect too, we have tried others (brand new) but I'm not sure if the one in it now is any good.

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 20:31
I have spare rings. You want? Doubt its the head gasket at all. U can run em fine without one.

koba
21st February 2008, 20:42
hmm, will see. will try a closer, harder look in the light. prob won't be till moday or later tho. (YAY Nationals!)
Are they AX rings? may be diffferent, will have to measure real proper if they are.

madmal64
21st February 2008, 20:48
Shit Hels looks like you will beat me to the starting line. I wont be riding at round 1 but still planning on maing it for the end of March.
Got your back protector sorted out yet? If not I have a spare one your welcome to use.

Skunk
21st February 2008, 21:01
Are the rings on the right way up?

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 21:08
Not sure if they are actually ax one's came with bits and piece's what i got with the ax barrel + head. They are made for a 50.5mm bore. Shouldn't be too far off i guess! Thickness might be different tho.

Slingshot
21st February 2008, 21:29
That's what I was wondering...done that before :Oops:

Not sure if they are actually ax one's came with bits and piece's what i got with the ax barrel + head. They are made for a 50.5mm bore. Shouldn't be too far off i guess! Thickness might be different tho.
Profile could be different too.

Skels....can you describe how it's running?

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 21:46
Skels....can you describe how it's running?

I have ridden the thing both when it was running nicely and when it was running crapply.

It feels like its just bogging the whole way through the rev's waiting to hit the powerband/pick up a little bit.

They have checked.
1)The timing
2)Compression
3)Brand New Pistion and Rebored barrel.
4)Carb (although i still have my suspiscions)

Skunk
21st February 2008, 21:48
Fresh fuel...?

Slingshot
21st February 2008, 21:50
4)Carb (although i still have my suspiscions)

Me thinks this is probably most likely, try spraying CRC in through the carb while it's running...just don't do it for very long.

Ocean1
21st February 2008, 22:08
:sherlock: Crank seals? :corn:

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 22:16
Fresh fuel...?

That wont be it. It contiuesly get's used so fresh fuel goes in all the time. Ill wait for Hels or malcolm to come back on tommorow and they can give you a better run down.

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 22:17
Me thinks this is probably most likely, try spraying CRC in through the carb while it's running...just don't do it for very long.

Wouldn't be able to tell because it rev's out fine when in netural/with the clutch in. Unless ya do the good ol have a pillion spraying it in. - Its not a revving problem, it just wont pull strongly to get anywhere near high rev's

Skunk
22nd February 2008, 06:49
That wont be it. It contiuesly get's used so fresh fuel goes in all the time. Ill wait for Hels or malcolm to come back on tommorow and they can give you a better run down.
I thought it had been sitting for two weeks? Anyway more power but starts OK sounds to me like timing or compression. But I'm no expert.

Str8 Jacket
22nd February 2008, 06:57
Fresh fuel...?

I thought it had been sitting for two weeks? Anyway more power but starts OK sounds to me like timing or compression. But I'm no expert.

Yeah, it has been sitting for a coupla weeks..... Will try emptying the tank.
We had done a compression test on it before and it was fine but could be worth doing again. We did the timing, borrowed a strobe light and all.... Dont get me wrong though, they still could be a prob?!

Malcolm did check that but it was getting dark. I think i'll need to replace the bottom one and check both of them again....

we have removed the carb before to clean it and it looked fine but we cleaned it anyway. Though it could just need replacing as we may have missed something. It is also the only thing on the A that we didnt swap over from nick's bike, but we tested everything else.....

We've got a very busy weekend so it'll have to wait until next week. May not be a goer in time afterall!

Skunk
22nd February 2008, 07:26
I'm at Manfeild this weekend so I can't help sorry. Try setting the timing static as I have found that seems to work well. Won't think the A100 would be any different.

Str8 Jacket
22nd February 2008, 07:33
I'm at Manfeild this weekend so I can't help sorry. Try setting the timing static as I have found that seems to work well. Won't think the A100 would be any different.

Cheers dude. Will see you at Manfeild!

Slingshot
22nd February 2008, 10:18
Its not a revving problem, it just wont pull strongly to get anywhere near high rev's

When it's revving and you crack the throttle open does it bog down? It still sounds like a fuel/carb issue to me...but I'm less of an expert than Skunk is so it could be anything.

Str8 Jacket
22nd February 2008, 10:21
The bike takes of OKish.... It just does everything very slowly. Top speed is 40kph in top gear. Its just very gluggy. It idles OK but is started to sound "bogged down" as well. It just has no power but still moves along just very very slowly.....

When it's revving and you crack the throttle open does it bog down? It still sounds like a fuel/carb issue to me...but I'm less of an expert than Skunk is so it could be anything.

Not when its not moving but when it is it kinda does.... Felt like timing/carb thing but who knows!

Sketchy_Racer
22nd February 2008, 20:36
Did who ever bored it out make sure they relifed the ports?

Take your muffler off completly (it will be loud) go for a ride. anymore power? (Im not kidding)