PDA

View Full Version : 30 riders injured during Waiouru motorcycle trail event

Bob
23rd November 2004, 01:05
About 30 riders were injured during a two-day motorcycle trail ride at Waiouru at the weekend, including seven who were flown to hospital.

About 1200-1300 individual riders were involved with 1050 riding on Saturday and about 850 yesterday. The event was held on NZ Army training land just north of Waiouru and organised by Taupo-based Epic Events Ltd.

Epic Events director Nick Reader said that, including the riders airlifted, St John Ambulance paramedics treated about 30 riders over the two days. Some were taken to hospital by road ambulance, including a rider yesterday with moderate wrist and chin lacerations.

He said the number of injured riders was more than expected "It was not a nice thing, with quite a few people."

He would conduct a full review of the weekend, including talking to the army, and would like to hold the event again next year.

Holy Roller
23rd November 2004, 01:59
I'll have to check with a mate of mine who was going on that ride. He was really looking forward to it. Hope it continues dispite the high accident rate, hope it makes the riders more carefull next time. :gob:

Fryin Finn
23rd November 2004, 06:45
I was at the ride on Saturday and on the first lap there were certainly a lot of riders standing or lying beside their fallen over bikes. I would call it a fairly easy ride but it's the usual case of riders going hard out from the start and not reading the terrain. There is probably more reason for warming up for this type of event than even a rugby player because the hits are harder and the body cools quicker when riding. I was starting to stiffen up on the long gravel road section because of the lack of phsical action and the chilly breeze. :sweatdrop

merv
23rd November 2004, 11:36
Check out our comments here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=6747

inlinefour
26th November 2004, 08:07
About 30 riders were injured during a two-day motorcycle trail ride at Waiouru at the weekend, including seven who were flown to hospital.

About 1200-1300 individual riders were involved with 1050 riding on Saturday and about 850 yesterday. The event was held on NZ Army training land just north of Waiouru and organised by Taupo-based Epic Events Ltd.

Epic Events director Nick Reader said that, including the riders airlifted, St John Ambulance paramedics treated about 30 riders over the two days. Some were taken to hospital by road ambulance, including a rider yesterday with moderate wrist and chin lacerations.

He said the number of injured riders was more than expected "It was not a nice thing, with quite a few people."

He would conduct a full review of the weekend, including talking to the army, and would like to hold the event again next year.

It would be a shame if it was not continued, maybe the riders should take it easier next year? :argh: