PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to pay import duty?

colsan1
19th February 2008, 21:54
I've read the fact sheets but they are a bit long winded.
basically i i buy a bike now and bring it over to nz in a few months and plan to register and use it then keep it for at least a couple of years in nz
do i have to pay and import duty because i've only owned it for a short time or pay gst when i sell it

Soul.Trader
20th February 2008, 06:14
So you are living in the UK right now, and you want to buy a bike while you're there, use it for a while, then bring it to NZ? Are you coming to NZ to live, or to visit? Do you plan on selling the bike while you're here?

colsan1
20th February 2008, 08:06
we will hear if we've got our perminent residence visas on friday so yeah buy a bike now use it here in the uk for a few months then ship it over perminently to nz, i plan to keep it for at least a couple of years in nz.

Ewan Oozarmy
20th February 2008, 08:56
As a new resident you will be GST exempt so long as you've owned the bike for more that one year prior to shipping and will have to pay the GST if you sell it in NZ within a year, I think.

crazybigal
20th February 2008, 09:23
check out http://www.customs.govt.nz/default.htm

ambler
20th February 2008, 11:55
as Ewan says except it's two years for the selling within NZ time requirement, not one

fredie
21st February 2008, 23:23
WHAT BIKE IS IT COL . ANOTHER TRUMPY:apint:

colsan1
22nd February 2008, 05:51
no thats gone now.
i'm looking at some honda VTR1000's but i could end up with anything
from an aprilia falco to a kawasaki zx6r.
i'm casting a wide net.
I just want something biggish with around 100+ bhp.
I do fancy a V twin as i've never had one but we'll see what ebay turns up.

JimO
22nd February 2008, 06:27
how cheap are they there compared to here

bane
22nd February 2008, 06:46
how cheap are they there compared to here

yeah, the equivalent of ~4000 quid will buy a near new VTR1000 here.

marty
22nd February 2008, 07:19
Try 3800 quid for as new.................

Honda VTR1000 FIRESTORM 2007
Asking price: $9,495 | Closes: Fri, 14 Mar
Style: Sports
Make: Honda
Model: VTR1000
Engine size: 1000cc
Kilometres: 12,280km
Year: 2007
Transmission Details: 6 Speed Manual

1-OWNER BIKE IN MINT CONDITION. JUST BEEN SERVICED. NEW FRONT TYRE AND PACK FRAME FITTED.

bugjuice
22nd February 2008, 07:23
was gonna say, it'd be cheaper and easier just to buy one here.. it'd take forever for it to get here too. Guess it's not so much of an issue if you're shipping house stuff over tho.

Ewan Oozarmy
22nd February 2008, 12:18
was gonna say, it'd be cheaper and easier just to buy one here.. it'd take forever for it to get here too. Guess it's not so much of an issue if you're shipping house stuff over tho.

I'd have to agree with you on this one.

When I came over 15 months ago I looked at shipping my KTM 950SM over which I'd owned for around 18 months in London. At the time with the exchange rate (2.95ish dollars to the pound), costs of shipping + insurance, compliance/registering in NZ, etc., it working out slightly cheaper to sell it in the UK and buy a new one here.

There's also the 6-8 weeks that the bike is at sea and however long it sits at this end getting checked over, etc, and the hassle factor.

kinger
22nd February 2008, 17:01
Only brought mine over as I've an emotional attachment to it.
Considering the weather you'll be having in UK before you leave, you're better of buying a bag of spanners there, and getting a new one here.
Oh, and expect a few demerits til you get used to the intolerance here:blink:
Anyway, best of luck with the application.

Steve, ex IOW.

fredie
23rd February 2008, 01:45
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Default.aspx try here for bikes:msn-wink:

YellowDog
23rd February 2008, 05:19
I have done the same as you in 2007. You will be asked to pay GST and then to sign a DOU (Deed of Undertaking). I argued with the GST issue and they let me off. The also then let me off having to sign a DOU. I don't know if it was because the bike was older or not. You should check as some bikes are cheaper in NZ, others are not.

If you really want to do it right, buy a 5 year old bike in the UK and bring it over with you. I sold my old bike for 30% more than I paid for it 4 years ago. Secondhand bikes seem to hold there value very well out here. It would have been worth peanuts in the UK (being so old). Like me, you can then sell the UK secondhand bike to reduce the cost of your new one: Whic is exactly what I am doing.

Good luck.