PDA

View Full Version : Scooter rider wasted on Dom Rd

Macstar
20th February 2008, 09:09
I was surprised at my dark lack of smypathy last night when I stumbled across an accident between a scooter and a car. Not that one ever wants to see a biker injuried BUT: Scooter riders are not bullet proof and binning at 50kph without gear is still going to hurt!

She was a female scooter rider dressed in work clothes i.e. skirt, shirt, heels had been cut off and it looked like she had smacked into the car and gone for a skid down the road. Couldn't get a close look at her injuries but she was on a stretcher being thrown in the back of an ambo.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 09:11
You're not related to katman are you?

Nagash
20th February 2008, 09:28
I feel sorry for her.. that's gonna be a long painful time of recovery. Hope her injuries aren't that bad but odds are they were.

Ragingrob
20th February 2008, 09:44
Yeah I don't know why scooters are seen as the "safer" option ay, especially when the targets market is all about not having to wear anything but a helmet!

HungusMaximist
20th February 2008, 09:49
Thing is, it was gonna happen sooner or later.

The other question to ask, is whether she was HOT or NOT.

Scooters can do some funky shit bikers can't with their manoeuvrability, so they're still cool!

Jiminy
20th February 2008, 09:51
I'm all for wearing my gear on the bike, but would be much less frantic about it on a scooter. I'm sure it would be safer to wear a helmet as a pedestrian, too, but somehow, there is a line between safety and freedom. Where this line lies is a matter of opinion.

I feel sorry for her.

Ragingrob
20th February 2008, 09:59
I'm all for wearing my gear on the bike, but would be much less frantic about it on a scooter. I'm sure it would be safer to wear a helmet as a pedestrian, too, but somehow, there is a line between safety and freedom. Where this line lies is a matter of opinion.

I feel sorry for her.

What would the difference be between your decision for gear on a bike and not on a scooter when going for a ride around town?

Jimmy B
20th February 2008, 10:01
Yep Dominion road is iffy for sure, anyone who rides it especially down the bus lanes in rush hour is best served to keep their eyes open and focus on traffic turning across you into the side streets through the gaps, pulling out or nosing into the flow from your left and those who gap it unannounced into the bus lane to make the left hander, which maybe some distance away.

If you’re stopping for gas at the BP Eden Quarter heading into town, never indicate if there is a car at the intersection to your left, they will usually assume that you are making the turn.

Don’t be afraid to use your horn, like I had to this morning when the prick in front started rolling back down the hill onto me while we were waiting for the lights at the road with no name up to Newton gully.

It amazes me that the general scooter population dress for the office and happily hit that 70k zone flat out. I’ve seen more near misses on Dominion Road than any other in over 10 years of commuting on the Bike.

Joni
20th February 2008, 10:01
There is a young lady here in Chch who zoots past me every day in her little stilettos and business suit. I have watched her and thought about it....

Have you ever considered that they are just not aware, they wanted a quick, convenient, cheap and in a way “cool” way of getting to work and around town. They are not motorcyclists; they have not been exposed to riding gear, bikes or KB. All they know is that they have to wear a helmet by law.

I look at this little lady and honestly think that it has never even entered her mind that if she came off that scooter so will lots of skin at the very least.

I reckon when you buy a scooter the sales person/company should be letting them know/guiding them to safe riding practices as well... then they will never be caught not knowing. Then its a decision to not ride with the right gear.

So maybe your lack of compassion is really callous as she did not know any better?

Just a thought and my opinion... could be completely wrong.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 10:03
Don’t be afraid to use your horn

Yes, always have your horn on.

gigiddy, gigiddy!

Jimmy B
20th February 2008, 10:13
Have you ever considered that they are just not aware, they wanted a quick, convenient, cheap and in a way “cool” way of getting to work and around town. They are not motorcyclists; they have not been exposed to riding gear, bikes or KB. All they know is that they have to wear a helmet by law.

Nup completely spot on Joni, I followed and passed just such a rider a few months ago ( I see them daily) wearing a tee shirt, mini skirt and sandals, in the 70 zone that I mentioned in my earlier post. She pulled up behind me at the lights. I thought about not saying anything but couldnt stand it and gestured for her to pull along side. I said that is her call and maybe in 50kph zone but for the 70 then she should should be wearing at least shoes, gloves and jeans. Ive seen her since and she has at least "upped" her clothing.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 10:15
Nup completely spot on Joni, I followed and passed just such a rider a few months ago wearing a tee shirt, mini skirt and sandals, in the 70 Zone that I mentioned in my post. She pulled up behind me at the lights. I thought about not saying anything but couldnt stand it and gestured for her to pull along side. I said that is her call and maybe in 50kph zone but for the 70 then she should should be wearing at least shoes, gloves and jeans. Ive seen her since and she has at least "upped" her clothing.

Sweet, good onya! Like Joni says alot of people are ignorant. Unfortunately the only way most of them become aware of the dangers is when its too late! :yes:

Jimmy B
20th February 2008, 10:20
Yes, always have your horn on.

gigiddy, gigiddy!

Never ever underestimate the power of a good horn :lol:

HungusMaximist
20th February 2008, 10:20
Nup completely spot on Joni, I followed and passed just such a rider a few months ago ( I see them daily) wearing a tee shirt, mini skirt and sandals, in the 70 zone that I mentioned in my earlier post. She pulled up behind me at the lights. I thought about not saying anything but couldnt stand it and gestured for her to pull along side. I said that is her call and maybe in 50kph zone but for the 70 then she should should be wearing at least shoes, gloves and jeans. Ive seen her since and she has at least "upped" her clothing.

Also a great way to pick up hot scooter girls...:bleh:

Jiminy
20th February 2008, 10:21
What would the difference be between your decision for gear on a bike and not on a scooter when going for a ride around town?

Speed and use. If I'm expected to ride for long stretches over 30-50kph, then I tend to put on more gear. And if I only go around town, I tend to put less gear on because my leathers get hot, heavy, and just annoying.

Around town, I wear more gear on a motorbike than a scoot or a push bike because I tend to protect my bike when bad things happen, so I end up falling with or under it, with more risks to smash my head, shoulders, elbows or wrists. With a push bike, I just jump away and take care of myself, the bike will sort itself out.

It's all a question of perceived risk and personal choices. If I face plant on a mountain bike at 80 kph, I know I won't look too good (if I survive), but I perceive the risk of it happening as low enough for me not to wear a full face motorbike helmet or leather jacket on my mountain bike.

Be aware of the potential consequences if you don't go ATGATT (or even if you do), that's my opinion.

Jimmy B
20th February 2008, 10:25
I reckon when you buy a scooter the sales person/company should be letting them know/guiding them to safe riding practices as well... then they will never be caught not knowing. Then its a decision to not ride with the right gear.

Was talking to Kerry at Motohaus about this a while back, he sells scoots. Always asks what they plan to wear. One customer said office gear and he invited her to drive along in her boyfreinds car and open the door at 30kph, have a look at the road and then touch it. She did, chickened out on the touching bit, bought the gear, binned the bike, came into to see Kerry for a replacement and to thank him for saving her a lot of pain.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
20th February 2008, 10:27
I really don't think you have to be Einstein to figure out some safety gear is needed for a scooter - hell as a kid I had some nasty accidents on my push bike and skateboard - that alone tells my brain something about how to protect myself. I'm blond - but aint bloody stupid.

If one is that bloody stupid that they will only change AFTER an accident, then they deserve what they get.

People are obviously not taught to use their brains, or common sense.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 10:28
People are obviously not taught to use their brains, or common sense.

Of course not, then Uncle Hielen would be out of a job!

Squiggles
20th February 2008, 10:30

....Then its a decision to not ride with the right gear.

Agreed, if they choose not to, knowing the potential consequences, thats fine by me, but i would feel sorry for them if they just didnt know better. (Although one can, and somebody will, argue that its common sense)

Joni
20th February 2008, 10:32
(Although one can, and somebody will, argue that its common sense)Yup! But people should keep in mind not everyone thinks the same as they do, what they feel is common sence another wont.

So yeah, I feel sorry for people who are just not aware and get hurt as a result.

Ragingrob
20th February 2008, 10:54
I guess it's pretty hard when the entire advertising campaign with scooters around the world involves no protective clothing and in many cases photos with promo girls etc "riding" one without even a helmet...

If we have no tobacco advertising because it kills... then maybe something needs to be done about the way scooter advertising is portrayed.

motorbyclist
20th February 2008, 11:07
what i find intruiging is how scooters are perceived safer than bikes at all - compared to bikes, my experiences have shown me scooters are unstable, difficult to bail off, and have notably less effective brakes... so provided you're going the same speed, it's my opinion that a scooter is less safe than the bike by being less likely to avoid an accident, and gear should really be worn to reflect that

but of course, chipseal doesn't care what you're riding.

i got a nice graze on my knee the other week low/highsiding my pocketrocket at 30kph; straight through my jeans without actually making a hole in them. gutted i scuffed up my riding gloves, broke my bike jacket's elbow armour, but really glad i was wearing them

motorbyclist
20th February 2008, 11:08
I guess it's pretty hard when the entire advertising campaign with scooters around the world involves no protective clothing and in many cases photos with promo girls etc "riding" one without even a helmet...

If we have no tobacco advertising because it kills... then maybe something needs to be done about the way scooter advertising is portrayed.

reckon if they advertise with riders wearing shoes/jeans and still looking cool/sexy it'd make a difference? probably would imo

Ragingrob
20th February 2008, 11:24
reckon if they advertise with riders wearing shoes/jeans and still looking cool/sexy it'd make a difference? probably would imo

Yeah hardout, even if they go as far as advertising Draggin' jeans with them "Protecting jeans with a hot look" kinda thing it may work. Some cordura company should advertise a special "style" range with jackets that are protective but maybe not to the same level as biker jacket, with cool designs and stuff.

All this would promote scooter safety and even could bring in more money to the companies with people buying gear.

:doh: I do marketing lol gotta practise with real life situations!

Marmoot
20th February 2008, 12:48
Somebody please give this man a medal

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=383643&postcount=1

Finn
20th February 2008, 13:04
I really don't think you have to be Einstein to figure out some safety gear is needed for a scooter.

Apparently you do...

sunhuntin
20th February 2008, 13:16
So maybe your lack of compassion is really callous as she did not know any better?

agreed there... i see quite a number of scooter girls come in wearing next to nothing. ill never forget the chick in fluffy elmo-red scuffy-type slippers. will also never forget the girl who tried to talk me into putting lawn mower 2stroke oil in her 50cc. told her to go back to where she bought it from, and she didnt even know that! told her to go find a motorbike shop cos there was no way im putting mower oil in it.
most of em dont seem to know anything beyond helmet and throttle.

worst i see are the ones with helmets that are undone. told one yesterday to be careful taking off due to diesel on the 'court. with an undone chinstrap, i may as well have saved my breath.
the "young" boys over the road got a scoot, and i would often notice them leaving with the strap dangling. i told their mum to tell em if i saw that again id knock their head against the wall... funny, they do it up now... [boys being 5th and 7th forms]

Grub
20th February 2008, 13:45
Ok, so I'm as sanctimonious about this as anyone. I see a scoot going past with the rider in work clothes and do a rant to Nasty about it ... BUT .... it's not as obvious as we all make it out to be. Why?

I ride a racing pushbike, I ride it as fast as I can go. Down Ngauranga Gorge I (and other pushbikes) get up over 70kmh, I wear spandex. All pushbikers wear spandex.

So what's with that? Really, if falling off at 50kmh is that bad, all the Tour d'France riders ought to be wearing cordura or leather with proper crash helmets.

Of course that's silly but it just is a heads -up on how we view different modes of 2-wheeled transport in different ways and accept different standards regarding them.

Str8 Jacket
20th February 2008, 13:47
I ride a racing pushbike, I ride it as fast as I can go. Down Ngauranga Gorge I (and other pushbikes) get up to 70kmh, I wear spandex. All pushbikers wear spandex.

You really sure you wanted to admit that here? I was so enjoying my cake too... :confused:

motorbyclist
20th February 2008, 14:36
Ok, so I'm as sanctimonious about this as anyone. I see a scoot going past with the rider in work clothes and do a rant to Nasty about it ... BUT .... it's not as obvious as we all make it out to be. Why?

I ride a racing pushbike, I ride it as fast as I can go. Down Ngauranga Gorge I (and other pushbikes) get up over 70kmh, I wear spandex. All pushbikers wear spandex.

So what's with that? Really, if falling off at 50kmh is that bad, all the Tour d'France riders ought to be wearing cordura or leather with proper crash helmets.

Of course that's silly but it just is a heads -up on how we view different modes of 2-wheeled transport in different ways and accept different standards regarding them.

firstly, tour de france is on closed streets without idiot drivers

secondly, cyclists would die form heat exhaustion wearing even jeans and a jacket

thirdly, who said they didn't get badly hurt?

Grub
20th February 2008, 14:41
firstly, tour de france is on closed streets without idiot drivers

secondly, cyclists would die form heat exhaustion wearing even jeans and a jacket

thirdly, who said they didn't get badly hurt?

Firstly, the still fall off, usually going faster than 50kmh and they do it in big groups

Secondly, exactly

Thirdly, I didn't, they do

The point, which you may have missed, was how ironic it is that we all express Outrage & Indignation about what scoot riders wear but maintain a double-standard when it comes to cyclists

motorbyclist
20th February 2008, 14:57
Firstly, the still fall off, usually going faster than 50kmh and they do it in big groups

Secondly, exactly

Thirdly, I didn't, they do

The point, which you may have missed, was how ironic it is that we all express Outrage & Indignation about what scoot riders wear but maintain a double-standard when it comes to cyclists

probably because cyclists, unlike scooterers, don't come under our statistics

we don't generally talk to cyclists, though i'm sure here no-one pretends that they are any less vulnerable than ourselves

and i do see what you are getting at, but frankly that doesn't mean we should lay off scooters, it just means we should harass cyclists too:bleh:

as far as i'm concerned cyclists should have to get a licence for the damn things - and after seeing one run a red light nearly causing an accident, i reckon they should be rego'd and possibly require 3rd party insurance also.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nR2ygFn-yR8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nR2ygFn-yR8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

skidMark
20th February 2008, 15:34
50kph is still 50kph hurts just as much whether ur on a 1000cc or a scooter.

skidMark
20th February 2008, 15:40
probably because cyclists, unlike scooterers, don't come under our statistics

we don't generally talk to cyclists, though i'm sure here no-one pretends that they are any less vulnerable than ourselves

and i do see what you are getting at, but frankly that doesn't mean we should lay off scooters, it just means we should harass cyclists too:bleh:

as far as i'm concerned cyclists should have to get a licence for the damn things - and after seeing one run a red light nearly causing an accident, i reckon they should be rego'd and possibly require 3rd party insurance also.

fook me those guys are nuts.

yeah i'm sitting home with a sore ass, was on the bmx at top of khyber pass road around 7 am ish. traffic everywhere...crossing went green sweet sweet.....

2 people were crossing in same direction as me. went around them and pedalled up a wheelie.....wee this is high ooo no dropping down.pedal...ahhh fuck too much. boof. got gravel rash on me arse i does. landing smack on ya ass at 20kph hurts ive discovered.

god damn evil pushbikes.

it's kawasaki green too....good old spray cans....

flipped a wheelie last week outside old ferry building too infront of like 500 people! arg.

better than flipping the zxr250 though, come fecking close to that in the past.

don't make me get a pushbike license. then i can't get anywhere! lol i'd loose it within a week.

Badjelly
20th February 2008, 16:16

Who's this "we"?

Some of the people who use this forum are cyclists. (Me, I'm more of an ex-cyclist.)

motorbyclist
20th February 2008, 16:48
Who's this "we"?

Some of the people who use this forum are cyclists. (Me, I'm more of an ex-cyclist.)

the royal we

dunno bout you, but i find cyclists aren't too talkative (though there are exceptions)

mind you, they may just be trying to catch their breath :laugh:

Patch
20th February 2008, 17:24
Getting to old to hit the hundy are we?? slowpoke

This cyclist never wore spandex, just lycra with pink racing stripes :shutup:

Its a lot easier to pick out the gravel from shaved legs - unsure why Gixser shaves his tho :shit: must be a honda thing :shifty:

There's a risk in everything we do. No amount of protective gear is going to stop Fate.

PirateJafa
20th February 2008, 20:43
Shit, I didn't see my normal scooter chick-who-praks-next-to-me lady this morning... Fuck, fingers crossed she caught the bus!

Grub
20th February 2008, 20:57
Getting to old to hit the hundy are we?? .
Now that would be interesting ... even in Welly we don't have any hills long and steep enough for that! Nor do I have a top gear anywhere near tall enough so I can give it the heave. I think the fastest cadence I can manage is about 105.

My personal goal was to get to 91kmh down Ngauranga so that I got snapped by the speed camera (80 speed limit) ... THAT is a photo I'd love to have.

motorbyclist
21st February 2008, 10:03
try getting over 160kph

(mildly graphic)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4OSdbWLwKJE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4OSdbWLwKJE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

suddenly a full face helmet seems like a good idea dunnit?

(edit: i just noticed he had special shape wheels without spokes etc, but they clearly never bothered to reinforce the frame which they are obviously putting past design limits)

Squiggles
21st February 2008, 15:54
imagine if that was ashphalt... WOULD HE HAVE A FACE LEFT????

breakaway
22nd February 2008, 09:19
Damn cyclists. "I'm a road user too but I don't pay any road related charges, don't obey traffic lights, and I don't know what a riding formation is."