PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Parts

Pumba
20th February 2008, 12:06
Ok, since ther seems to be a few guys that seem to have been doing this bucket thing for a while and certinly appear to have a bit of knowledge floating around this forum, I have a question.

As I am fairly new to this (and quickly becoming addicted) and have little to no knowledge I want to know where the hell you guys get all these parts to build these bikes taht are made up of several diferent bikes?

The reason I ask is my bucket I know has a few issues specifically the front end (forks have a small banana in them) that I was thinking of getting some rplacement parts for, and further to this I was thinking of getting another bike for a bucket build project (you cant have to many projects:whistle:), just so I can learn a thing or two and have fun with a grinder, this bike also has frout end issues in the form of bent forks.

So is it just a case of searching the wreakers/Trade Me to find somthing suitable and affordable?

Or

Have you guys that have been doing it for a few years to many just got so many bike parts lying around your place its not funny?

Or

Is there a magical place that I have not yet found that results in bike parts falling from the sky all, in reasoble, straight, afordable condition?

Imput and thoughts apreciated, or if I am just a newb that does not yet have a clue you can ignore the ravings of a madman and move on :done:

bungbung
20th February 2008, 12:14
A bit of all three.

Tardme, your own collection of bits.
The magic place is a bike wrecker

Skunk
20th February 2008, 16:05
'Obtain and test'. That's how I do it. Complete guess at what might work and is about the right size then make it fit (FBH is very handy for this last bit).

Sully60
20th February 2008, 16:38
As I am fairly new to this (and quickly becoming addicted)

Didn't I tell you that would happen?

As Bungbung says all three of what you described but also word of mouth. Being in the right "circles" things always pop up so just get out to Mt Welly and talk to as many punters as possible. You don't just have to talk to bucket racers either, there's heaps of usable bits and pieces around out there it's just getting hold of them that's the trick. Skunks on to it also as nothing is made to fit the FBH, griunder and welder wil be your new best friends.

Anything in particular you need, apart from the forks? I have a couple of shitty but complete sets of forks 38mm?? Could be of some use?