PDA

View Full Version : Ducati STs for the chop?

gav
21st February 2008, 22:41
Reading in the latest AMCN that Ducati are going to drop the ST range from their lineup! No replacement named, they won't have a Sports Touring option. Seems a shame, pretty popular bike, few owners on here aren't there?

98tls
21st February 2008, 22:51
Seems strange really,would have thought they were the bread and butter for them,over priced race reps are beautiful but in reality do they sell enough of them to keep going,maybe they havent learnt from there own history.:jerry:

skelstar
21st February 2008, 23:13
Would say the Monsters and GT1000 type stuff is their main money earner.

Having said that I see a lot more 999/749's out there.

Bullitt
21st February 2008, 23:36
Seems a strange tactic if its true. See alot more ducati sports bikes than tourers but Id imagine the development costs in the ST are alot lower and theres still quite a few of them around so someone is buying them.

vifferman
22nd February 2008, 06:51
Maybe it's something that's common to many manufacturers - there are persistent rumours that Honda's phasing out the VFR800 too, and other manufacturers have dropped their ST models as well.

skelstar
22nd February 2008, 09:10
Might just be that sportsbikes aren't the torture racks they used to be, or maybe adventure bikes are becoming more capable on the road?

vifferman
22nd February 2008, 12:09
Might just be that sportsbikes aren't the torture racks they used to be, or maybe adventure bikes are becoming more capable on the road?
I think that's probably part of it, but it's not a simple thing. People are buying naked bikes and dressing them up to sport/tour on, or using crusiers, sprotsbikes, etc. Meanwhile, many dedicated ST bikes are relatively expensive and not selling in enough numbers to warrant R&D to develop new versions.
Having said that, unlike the VFR, the Ducati ST has been just a development of existing models. Mebbe the 1098 is too race-oriented to base an ST model on without some expensive work. OTOH, I would've thought a Monster would be easy to turn into an ST, or is that being dumped too? :spudwhat:

gav
22nd February 2008, 12:32
For 2009 Ducati will drop the ST line, they will be looking at a revamped Multistrada to cover that side of the market. The Monster range will continue as they have just released the new 696 model. The top line S4R currently powered by the 999 engine will have the 1098 motor fitted. Between now and 2010, 10 new models will be introduced, including the 696, 1098R and 848, so thats 3 down. For 2010, projected sales are 30% superbike, 40% naked bike, and the dual sport sector rising to 30%.

jim.cox
22nd February 2008, 13:20
For 2009 Ducati will drop the ST line, they will be looking at a revamped Multistrada to cover that side of the market.

Somehow I can't see a MouldyStrudel appealing to an ST buyer. I figure they will lose that market share to the Triuumph ST or BMW S range

and the dual sport sector rising to 30%.

Sounds like the HyperRetard is selling well then :)

pritch
22nd February 2008, 14:34
Somehow I can't see a MouldyStrudel appealing to an ST buyer. I figure they will lose that market share to the Triuumph ST or BMW S range

I'm assured by knowledgable person who has ridden both that the Multistrada is very similar to the BMW R-ST. Not just because they are both bloody ugly, but because of the similarities in the way they ride.

Couldn't help but notice that some of the "VIPs" on the Ducati ride around the South Island in March '07 were supplied a Multistrada for the tour.

Also the more "mature" riders that I saw (OK, read old) were Multistrada mounted.

Hadn't thought about it previously, to me "Ducati touring" has been an oxymoron, but if I was to buy a Ducati for the long haul a multistrada it would be.

jim.cox
22nd February 2008, 15:16
The advantage of riding a Mouldy Strudel is that you dont have to look at it :)

SPman
22nd February 2008, 15:31
There are shit loads of GT1000's and 1000 Sports on the roads over here.Thats probably where the market is going.

I'd still like an ST4s, though......

Hillbilly
3rd June 2008, 04:36
According to the President of the Northen Ducati Owners Association here in NSW, the ST was dropped because it simply didn't sell! Ducati couldn't compete with the likes of the Suzuki Bandit 1250S, Honda CB1300S & CBF1000S or Yamaha FZ1S - which are all significantly cheaper.

Highlander
3rd June 2008, 20:18
I'd still like an ST4s, though......

You and me both!

AllanB
3rd June 2008, 20:26
According to the President of the Northen Ducati Owners Association here in NSW, the ST was dropped because it simply didn't sell! Ducati couldn't compete with the likes of the Suzuki Bandit 1250S, Honda CB1300S & CBF1000S or Yamaha FZ1S - which are all significantly cheaper.

Exactly what I was thinking. I read in a magazine that the Monster range is Ducatis biggest earner, effectively saved their arse financially a number of years ago.

I'd have to say if I wanted a true touring steed I'd not think of Ducati - not to say they are not a nice touring ride, and the Monster is on my fav bike list.

Plus the ST looks - well, like Ducatis most boring bike.....:shifty: