PDA

View Full Version : Cam timing on a Cb125t

boostin
21st February 2008, 22:47
How do I do the timing on a Cb125t ?

There are two dots on the cam chain wheel on opp sides. These are the only marks I can see to use...where should they be at tdc?

Thanks.

quallman1234
21st February 2008, 22:52
Sully taught me this just the other day, He know's exactly how to do it.

I would tell you from memory but i might of forgetten something!.

Sully's the man for this.

diesel pig
21st February 2008, 22:53
which motor do you have? the early silver painted motor or the late Black painted motor?

boostin
21st February 2008, 22:58
which motor do you have? the early silver painted motor or the late Black painted motor?

It is silver as far as I can see but may have changed colour over its lifetime? just picked it up the other week, it had a dropped valve so I wasn't the one that took it apart.

xwhatsit
21st February 2008, 23:05
I would think that those dots should line up with the valve cover gasket face. It doesn't matter which way it's up -- the ignition system will probably be `wasted spark', so it doesn't matter if it's 180-degrees out.

boostin
21st February 2008, 23:07
I would think that those dots should line up with the valve cover gasket face. It doesn't matter which way it's up -- the ignition system will probably be `wasted spark', so it doesn't matter if it's 180-degrees out.

Thanks that is what I suspected. Means I need to increase the base spacer to stop the valves hitting...

Sully60
23rd February 2008, 12:23
It does matter

You need to have #1 (left)cylinder at TDC. Pic 1

The dots on the chain wheel should by level with the gasket surface. If the dots don't seem to do this perfectly make sure the front dot is lower. When the camcahin tensioner is released the chainn wheel will move clockwise and line up with the gasket surface better

The camshaft has a square notch in end your looking at, this should be towards the rear of the engine. Pic 2 (sorry I couldn't find the chainweel to put on in that picture)

xwhatsit
23rd February 2008, 12:41
Oh shit -- this is a twin :lol:

Never mind me.

boostin
23rd February 2008, 12:48
It does matter

You need to have #1 (left)cylinder at TDC. Pic 1

The dots on the chain wheel should by level with the gasket surface. If the dots don't seem to do this perfectly make sure the front dot is lower. When the camcahin tensioner is released the chainn wheel will move clockwise and line up with the gasket surface better

The camshaft has a square notch in end your looking at, this should be towards the rear of the engine. Pic 2 (sorry I couldn't find the chainweel to put on in that picture)

Cool thanks for that, I managed to get it all sorted in the end.

diesel pig
24th February 2008, 17:00
Sorry Boostin for not getting back to you, Been doing the Sound of Thunder meeting all weekend but Sully60 is on the money.

T.W.R
24th February 2008, 18:03
Middle of the third page has the relevant info